4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has that shoe print be verified as BCK's? I thought that it was just a latent shoe print, possibly being a Van's brand?
Without the shoes, LE can't verify who left the print imo. it's an assumption that it belongs to the killer, albeit a logical one, imo. The most LE can do is rule out that the print was left by any of the shoes of people known to be at the house that day. imo jmo. And even then, so much time passed between the time of the murders and the time of the 911 call, can LE even be certain that no one else came into the house in the interim? I wouldn't think anyone did, but is that something they can prove? I'm also guessing that the two roommates stayed in their rooms until late but again, jmo.

What I wonder is why only one latent print? And only found on the second processing of the crime scene? How did the killer take all the steps before and after the spot and leave no print or presumptive blood stain?

According to the MSM, all autopsies of the four victims were performed on the same day, November 16th, in Spokane, over a nine hour period.

Edited for correction of date of autopsies - November 16th (not 17th as originally posted)
Sure, what I meant was that nothing mysterious was going on with the autopsies.

I see what your getting at but the next sentence seems to suggest Xana was inside the room?

PCA p 1
"As I approached the room, I could see a body, later identified as Kemodle's, laying on the floor.Kernodle was deceased with wounds which appeared to have been caused by an edged weapon .Also in the room was a male, later identified as Ethan Chapin,
hereafter, "Chapin"."

From Day 1, the coroner has said they were all killed in their bedrooms and likely asleep; that was reported as asleep by some media, but we quickly learned that two of the victims had defensive wounds—Goncalves and Kernodle.

We’ve since learned that Kernodle was on the floor. As only one person was reported on the floor, it follows that Ethan was in bed—possibly asleep.

I believe this to be fact, but I wouldn’t put money on it as there is so much rehashed info, I’m losing track of what’s fact and what isn’t.

There was a lot of speculation that it was Ethan who fought back which irked me because Xana’s dad had already said that she put up one heckuva fight. Just my recollections.

Without the shoes, LE can't verify who left the print imo. it's an assumption that it belongs to the killer, albeit a logical one, imo. The most LE can do is rule out that the print was left by any of the shoes of people known to be at the house that day. imo jmo. And even then, so much time passed between the time of the murders and the time of the 911 call, can LE even be certain that no one else came into the house in the interim? I wouldn't think anyone did, but is that something they can prove? I'm also guessing that the two roommates stayed in their rooms until late but again, jmo.

What I wonder is why only one latent print? And only found on the second processing of the crime scene? How did the killer take all the steps before and after the spot and leave no print or presumptive blood stain?

Maybe they were smeared? JMO

MOO. I think LE would have done due diligence to the best of standards possible.
as soon as print found and analysed; (1) eliminate all who were known to be in house that morning; (2) double check through enquiries of known people if they can name anyone else they think may have been there in relevant time frame; (3) standard procedure and protocol, chain of custody and so forth to show no contamination of crime scene/house at the location where print found. MOO.

The PCA may have not included other prints in the house. The latent print was included IMO to show and back up DM''s eye witness statement re the stranger she saw. For that reason and because LE would know that to mislead re the print would mean a field day for the defense, I believe the print will back up her statement that there was a stranger she saw who walked past her door heading towards slider. I can't imagine that the print will be shown to match any person known to have been in the house and wearing vans. Maybe the print will be on some kind of angle facing toward kitchen. MOO

For sure, the PCA doesn't prove BK left the print. It's part of the whole that makes probable cause, IMO. Trial is when evidence will be fully tested from what I understand. MOO

If E was murdered essentially in the doorway and K was in that room, possibly he had to jump over E to exit the room. Thud. Or maybe he had to jump over him INTO the room. Thud. Whimper. I'm here to help you.

Order is inexact but the elements are there.

A whimper because poor X just witnessed what happened to the love of her young life and knows she's next. Fought her hard, fought her fast and needed to get gone.

I do wonder about the footprint. Presumably it revealed direction and movement. But part of me wonders if he didn't sense the door and stepped back. Back toward the door. Listening outside D's door. Perhaps he even heard her slide the lock and ultimately that's what sprung him into action, racing to his Elantra and speeding away. He expected the 911.

He was every criminal by morning. Couldn't resist returning to the scene of the crime. I imagine he imagined a beehive of activity-- I'm not at all sorry if he was sorely disappointed.

I stand by my theory. I think he came there with the specific intention of dominating one victim. Exacting some kind of sick, misplaced justice. Found two women in one bed and was probably noticed -- so acted decisively. Brutally. Murphy may have been in distress, BK would have made plenty of footfalls, audible from the floor below.

He descends to the second floor where E and X are. He reacts with reckless fury.

D was mere inches away from being the fifth victim. She saw him but IMO he probably smelled her. Click. Saved by a door lock.

4 obvious victims but so, so many more than that.

JMO
RBBM

I keep wondering if BK returned for a second look or did he return for the knife sheath? Obviously he didn't retrieve it but maybe he considered it when he saw there was no activity at the house yet.

Maybe they were smeared? JMO
Could be, but there would still be prints, right? And if so, then a potentially bloody smeared trail of prints would still indicate that the killer was headed from one direction to another? IMO JMO. IDK just seems odd to me because even with shoe covers, if there was blood on the cover, then print, even if smeared, and if there was no blood, then no print. One lone print is confusing. If no shoe covers were worn, then it's still baffling that there's only one print that was found on the second processing which doesn't seem to indicate bloody trail. IDK. I'm very curious about that. It defies logic. imo jmo

So, did BK receive the letter (via snail mail) from WSU firing him at his parents’ PA home? Or, perhaps the letter was sent electronically by email?

A lot of his stuff was apparently left at his apartment at WSU, from what I understand, since the letter was dated after BK and his dad left on their cross-country trip back to PA.

I concur with another poster who said BK seemed to have no capacity for self-awareness. He simply crashed and burned at WSU, despite the help that was offered, and viciously took the lives of 4 innocent young people with him. He’s one very angry young man.

Could be, but there would still be prints, right? And if so, then a potentially bloody smeared trail of prints would still indicate that the killer was headed from one direction to another? IMO JMO. IDK just seems odd to me because even with shoe covers, if there was blood on the cover, then print, even if smeared, and if there was no blood, then no print. One lone print is confusing. If no shoe covers were worn, then it's still baffling that there's only one print that was found on the second processing which doesn't seem to indicate bloody trail. IDK. I'm very curious about that. It defies logic. imo jmo
And I don't understand why it was "latent".
Does it mean the perp cleaned it?

Or maybe it was some previous guest's muddy shoe print that the girls mopped while cleaning the house?
JMO

MOO. I think LE would have done due diligence to the best of standards possible.
as soon as print found and analysed; (1) eliminate all who were known to be in house that morning; (2) double check through enquiries of known people if they can name anyone else they think may have been there in relevant time frame; (3) standard procedure and protocol, chain of custody and so forth to show no contamination of crime scene/house at the location where print found. MOO.

The PCA may have not included other prints in the house. The latent print was included IMO to show and back up DM''s eye witness statement re the stranger she saw. For that reason and because LE would know that to mislead re the print would mean a field day for the defense, I believe the print will back up her statement that there was a stranger she saw who walked past her door heading towards slider. I can't imagine that the print will be shown to match any person known to have been in the house and wearing vans. Maybe the print will be on some kind of angle facing toward kitchen. MOO

For sure, the PCA doesn't prove BK left the print. It's part of the whole that makes probable cause, IMO. Trial is when evidence will be fully tested from what I understand. MOO
I agree that LE could rule out the shoes of those known to be in the house. and I'm sure they did a thorough investigation of that, too imo jmo. all that's very likely. What does not make sense to me is that the latent print was only found on the second pass and only one is mentioned. IMO JMO there are some obvious questions, and I'm not debating guilt v innocence. I'm just wondering about something that raises reasonable questions imo jmo and I'm sure we'll find out at trial, but until then, I'm really curious about that bit.

From Day 1, the coroner has said they were all killed in their bedrooms and likely asleep; that was reported as asleep by some media, but we quickly learned that two of the victims had defensive wounds—Goncalves and Kernodle.

We’ve since learned that Kernodle was on the floor. As only one person was reported on the floor, it follows that Ethan was in bed—possibly asleep.

I believe this to be fact, but I wouldn’t put money on it as there is so much rehashed info, I’m losing track of what’s fact and what isn’t.

There was a lot of speculation that it was Ethan who fought back which irked me because Xana’s dad had already said that she put up one heckuva fight. Just my recollections.
There's been alot of reporting on this case and it's got really confusing at times IMO. I was going through the media thread a few days ago and in almost every transcripted press conference I read, LE always asked people to please go to official sources for information on the investigation. I found the course of the investigation somewhat easier to grasp when I didn't over-read. MOO

RE PCA, I reaaly think it would be suicide for LE and the prosecution if the defense were to successfully argue either deliberately misleading information or inferences, or inadvertent ones MOO. Mostly for that reason, I'm not willing to believe the info in the PCA is wrong. MOO

I agree that LE could rule out the shoes of those known to be in the house. and I'm sure they did a thorough investigation of that, too imo jmo. all that's very likely. What does not make sense to me is that the latent print was only found on the second pass and only one is mentioned. IMO JMO there are some obvious questions, and I'm not debating guilt v innocence. I'm just wondering about something that raises reasonable questions imo jmo and I'm sure we'll find out at trial, but until then, I'm really curious about that bit.
It'd because we are talking about the PCA not the trial IMO. Evidence to prove and convict comes at trial stage IMO

ETA: I'm sorry if I sounded abrupt, ofcourse it's fine to speculate along these lines re what's mssing from PCA and why. I guess my real point is that I don't find it useful,but I respect that others do.

Last edited:
Per PCA page 1 - I read it as they were in the bedroom. He does talk about the bathroom on the way to the "room" but the room is Xana's bedroom and is after the bathroom on the south wall. JMO

OFC Smith directed me down the hallway to the west bedroom on the second floor, which I later learned (through Xana's driver's license and other personal belongings found in the room) was Xana Kernodle's, hereafter "Kernodle" room. Just before this room there was a bathroom door on the south wall of the hallway. As I approached the room, I could see a body, later identified as Kemodle's, laying on the floor. Kernodle was deceased wounds which appeared to have been caused by an edged weapon. Also in the room was a male, later identified as Ethan Chapin,.....
If there was a comma after "Also", then it would read "Also, in the room, was a male . . ." which could be taken to mean "Oh no, not another victim."

"Mr. Kohberger does not currently have a teaching assistantship, and he is not currently enrolled at WSU," said Phil Weiler, the school's vice president of marketing and communications."

"Mr. Kohberger does not currently have a teaching assistantship, and he is not currently enrolled at WSU," said Phil Weiler, the school's vice president of marketing and communications."

Could it be cause he's in jail?

Or maybe it was some previous guest's muddy shoe print that the girls mopped while cleaning the house?
JMO

Per the PCA, Amido Black was used to help make it more visible. From what I've read, Amido Black reacts to the proteins found in bodily fluids, primarily in blood. So, it should not react to mud.

JMO

Its strange to me that the killer didn't track bloody shoe prints all over, especially coming from X's room, if not a lot at least a few, heck even a fading trail as the blood wore off as the killer walked away. IMO

I find this single shoe print confusing as well, how can there be one lone shoe print with latent blood? Not even one or two before it? I know the same ol' same ol' explanation that the PCA didn't list everything, only what was needed, but I think that if there were other bloody, visible shoe prints they would have been listed on the PSA before a single barely visible latent one that was originally overlooked would have been. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89