4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would BK/his PD oppose the gag order being lifted/appeal being granted? Too much potential for "bad press' and "tainting the jury pool"?

Why could the families of the victims be asked to testify as witnesses? Witnesses to "what"?

"Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger has stated his opposition to an appeal of a judge's gag order in the case through his attorney, while the families of the victims have been informed they could be asked to testify as witnesses."

Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger fights to keep gag order

Maybe BK wasn't a stranger to at least one of them? IMO.

Ethan and "Sister in Law"
Though Ethan was a triplet, all single and students..no mention of other siblings. Where does this SIl fit in? Anybody know??
Per obit below, on his Father's side, he had a half bro E---, whose wife is Sarah.
Not a step bro.
"Ethan is survived by his dad, J--, his mom, S----, and surviving triplets, M---- and H-----. He is also survived by [G'parents]. Half siblings E--- and wife Sarah... [and other half bro & half sis]."
--- and [] by me
Obituary for Ethan Chapin at Hawthorne Funeral Home

Last edited:
Why would BK/his PD oppose the gag order being lifted/appeal being granted? Too much potential for "bad press' and "tainting the jury pool"?

Why could the families of the victims be asked to testify as witnesses? Witnesses to "what"?

"Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger has stated his opposition to an appeal of a judge's gag order in the case through his attorney, while the families of the victims have been informed they could be asked to testify as witnesses."

Both the defense and prosecution stipulated to a nondissemination order: .... to "minimize the effects of prejudicial pretrial publicity" and "to ensure the efficacious administration of justice."....

And in the prosecutors affidavit: ...." are potential witnesses in this case, including at trial and/or sentencing"

I apologize if this is already posted, but I didn't see it.

DM is reporting on who actually found X and E's bodies and then called 911 (and that was Ethan's best friend). He used D's phone to make the call:

This article also reiterates the "screaming" at the house and has D shouting at others to be quiet at around 4 am.
I'm confused (thank you for posting that link by the way).... first it states that D thought the noise was from people partying in the house, and hollered out for them to quiet down. But, then later on, she's "scared of what she heard". Yet, D doesn't call police. I hope the families (and Ethan's SIL) get some answers about this soon.

DM writers strike again! While the quoted sentence above is true, combining BK's objection with the mention of witnesses in the same sentence is confusing, I think. Later on the article discusses Gray's objections to the gag order and says "Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson noted that the victims' families, particularly the Goncalveses, could take the stand. 'The members of the Goncalves family, who are represented by Gray, are potential witnesses in this case, including at trial and/or sentencing,' he wrote in an affidavit Wednesday.

 JMO

Posting directed towards the article. If a neighbors security cam picked up a whimper, a thud, and a dog bark, why didn't it pick up screaming and crying and possibly DM "yelling" at her roommates? Jmo

Perhaps it did? They would leave out DM yelling so as to not involve her any more than necessary at the time of the PCA.

The screaming and crying thing is weird, though. You'd think the camera would have picked it up.

The main theory expressed many threads ago, about this, was that the camera was motion activated. So it came on either because the DoorDash guy triggered it or a cat triggered it. Then, of course, there was BK arriving and doing whatever he did - so maybe just intermittent bits of sound?

If D yelled at them at 4 am and the DDash driver arrived at 4:01, she wouldn't have been heard (if it was motion activated).

I'm confused (thank you for posting that link by the way).... first it states that D thought the noise was from people partying in the house, and hollered out for them to quiet down. But, then later on, she's "scared of what she heard". Yet, D doesn't call police. I hope the families (and Ethan's SIL) get some answers about this soon.
Sounds like DMs on trial. How pleasing for the defense.

I have been led to believe by discussions on another Idaho case, that of Lori Vallow, that this is the literal definition of “sane enough to stand trial” - that a person is smart enough to know right from wrong, which it sounds like Dahmer amply proved.

The bar for judging sanity is very low.
The law re legal insanity in Wisconsin when Dahmer was tried was (i) unable to tell right from wrong; OR (ii) unable to control one's behavior.

IMO, Dahmer clearly fell into the latter category; he himself told investigators he knew right from wrong. What he couldn't help was his compulsion to alleviate his utter loneliness by seducing and killing boys and young men, feeling that if he consumed them they wouldn't "leave" him.

I'm not feeling sorry for him, mind you, though he apparently had a hellacious childhood and, being gay, faced an unrelentingly hostile society (at the time). I'm just saying that by the letter of the law, he should have been found "Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity" under Wisconsin law.

Idaho law is different, as we've all discussed.

From the link;

Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson noted that the victims' families, particularly the Goncalveses, could take the stand.

'The members of the Goncalves family, who are represented by Gray, are potential witnesses in this case, including at trial and/or sentencing,' he wrote in an affidavit Wednesday.
I had read / heard earlier that the G's may be witnesses and have to testify. I thought back to when SG stated that he thought that his daughter was specifically targeted, and her injuries greater, than the other victims (loosely quoting).

IIRC a full gag order was in place during the Rhoden/Gilley murder investigation/trial. It was pretty well adhered to as very little got released to the public over the years. There was a gag order surrounding the surviving minor children too. I don't think there ever was one in the Murdaugh case though, which is very high profile.

In legal matters, a witness is an individual who has knowledge relevant to the case, but may also be someone who claims to have, or who is thought by others to have, such knowledge. A witness may be sworn under oath to testify to his knowledge and details of the case, including things he has seen, heard, smelled, or touched first hand.

I am not rooting either way on Banfield. There has been some discussion about whether some of these anonymous sources are real. It's certainly possible that she's just that good at developing anonymous sources. If so, congratulations to her. My point was - if what's she's reported from these "sources" turns out to be all wrong, then she is not as good at her job as she currently appears to be and I would stand by my statement that she would deserve to have a lot of egg on her face.

One of the reasons reporters used to require more than one anonymous source, or at least some sort of verification, was to protect themselves and their employer from lawsuits by defaming someone, from reporting something fed to them by someone with an axe to grind, and from looking like chumps, all generally because they didn't do their due diligence. Apparently, the 24 hour news cycle approach to that problem is to report anything they are told and "fix" it later. Only they almost never really fix it later.

I don't see how she could have reported all of these items in the first weeks following the murders, since there was no suspect at that time. And, purely for ratings' sake, it does not help any tv reporter to tell everything they claim to know all at once. You want the audience tuning in every night if you can manage it. So you let things out in a trickle, and follow up with teasers for the next night. MOOooo

I don't think it was fear of libel suits that motivated traditional journalistic ethics. In the USA, it is very hard to prove libel in the case of public figures, including suspects and crime victims. Journalists considered themselves professionals and had a code of ethics like any profession.

What has changed is a huge decline in newspaper readership and, in broadcast media, making the news divisions profit centers rather than loss leaders.

But if you are going to accuse journalists of inventing even the one, meagre source now required, I think you should provide some evidence.

I'm sure she isn't infallible, but what has AB reported thus far that has been proven to be so far outside the realm of possibility?

No, AB couldn't have invented reports about BK until he was identified as the suspected perp; but she could have invented other "alternative facts" if your cynical view were correct. Instead, most of her early reports highlighted what was NOT known.

If there was screaming and crying, it would certainly be powerful but up to this point, no screaming has been mentioned.

Except in the DM article linked above. First time I've seen it. Here's the link:

So it has been mentioned by an approved source.

Ethan's SIL allegedly made those posts 3 months ago, prior to the PCA coming out.

Except in the DM article linked above. First time I've seen it. Here's the link:

So it has been mentioned by an approved source.
I would think that during attacking 4 people some agonising screams might have happened.
The neighbour (allegedly) reported woman's scream at that time.

JMO

Last edited:
Perhaps it did? They would leave out DM yelling so as to not involve her any more than necessary at the time of the PCA.

The screaming and crying thing is weird, though. You'd think the camera would have picked it up.

The main theory expressed many threads ago, about this, was that the camera was motion activated. So it came on either because the DoorDash guy triggered it or a cat triggered it. Then, of course, there was BK arriving and doing whatever he did - so maybe just intermittent bits of sound?

If D yelled at them at 4 am and the DDash driver arrived at 4:01, she wouldn't have been heard (if it was motion activated).
How long does it stay activated?

The Latah County Commissioners have approved a Capital Criminal Defense Provider Agreement with Kootenai County in Coeur d’Alene. The contract was obtained from Kootenai County through a public records request by Amanda Roley at KREM in Spokane. The deal also needs approval from the Kootenai County Commissioners.

Under the agreement, Latah County is formally hiring Kootenai County Chief Public Defender Anne Taylor to represent Kohbeger. Taylor has the qualifications that are required to defend a death penalty case in Idaho. The contract notes that the Latah County Prosecutor’s Office may seek the death penalty. The contract is retroactive to December 30th when Taylor started representing Kohberger on the day he was arrested.

Thanks for this. So much for all the talking head blather about a conflict of interest.

Late reply, but thank you so much for this. I am the stepmom of a child (now adult) who has received counseling, specialized education, medication, and residential treatment since the age of 6. We love him dearly and have done our very best, but he is 22 now. We continue to pay for counseling twice a week, which is more than our rent. We are not even allowed to ask him whether he is still on his medication. We know he goes to counseling because we get the invoice. He says he’s “fine”.
There is only so much you can do when your child is an adult. And sadly, for some problems, there is no parenting strategy that will make the problem vanish. People recognize this with physical maladies but seem to think that brain maladies are curable by love and discipline.
He’s doing great on the surface. We were told never to assume that he could live independently, yet he is living in an apartment, keeping a job, and going to a trade school part time.
Thank God he came to us when the mental illness started. But is he being truthful with his counselor about medications or the degree of symptoms, including severe depersonalization? There is no way to know now that he is an adult. And yet if he harms himself or someone else, in addition to being heartbroken for him, I will never forgive myself.
Way too long on an old thread. Probably no one will see my long testimonial. But I had to write it out. I began weeping when I read the comment to which I am replying. Thank you, CGray
Such a moving post <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member