4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 75

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Student/Victims' Multiple Bank A/C's Overlapping Each Other???

@jepop My apologies, not ignoring your post. Good question.

Your "simpler solution" may be better than my idea, so pls, SPILL IT.
Short off the cuff answer, yes, but I'll have to think thru it after a good night's sleep.

BTW, flattered by your post [blushing, :) ]. Seeya sometime tomorrow.
Please, apology completely unnecessary! I was just trying to be polite, give you the option to ignore my request. Thank YOU for taking some time to look into this.:)

A 0 day exploit into DoorDash would be worth millions of dollars. They are likely facing hundreds of attacks a day by some of the best hackers in the world.

I'm been in tech for 15 years, I'm a full stack programmer but prefer front end Javascript, have been at a company that was hacked and helped with the fallout.

Bryan is not finding a DoorDash exploit. We'll just have to disagree on that one.

I really respect people like you in your profession. Just keeping up with the latest technology is a full time job in itself.

Kudos to you!

Respectfully, I think the above is a horrible financial strategy for college kids and I can't see all these sets of parents telling them that or encouraging it. It's possible certainly, but IMO, there's more to it than that. MOO.
Agreed, but I remember how often my daughter dismissed my advice when she was that age. These days, she seeks out my opinion. Back then, I "didn't understand" much of anything. I have gotten SO much smarter since she grew up. LOL ;)

I don't know much re IMEI numbers but Extreme Networks was Kaylee's new place of employment ? from what I understand. The warrant was for an encrypted laptop there. MOO
And since Kaylee did an internship with her new employer (Extreme Networks) prior to being hired, there may have been something of interest on her laptop prior to the murders while she was in Moscow - or even at her parents' residence when she moved out of the King Road house in the fall of 2022.

I can think of a scenario that involves Doordash without BK having to have qualified to be a driver or using some other driver's credentials.

What if (sometime in the months prior to November) he approached the house, carrying a bag from a local food spot, and pretended to be a DD driver who mistakenly went to the wrong house? Then it wouldn't matter that no one at 1122 had actually ordered, but it would give him a chance to learn a bit about the house and its occupants.

He could say "delivery for Bob" and then wait to be told "no Bob here, we have only girls living here" or even told the actual residents names, if he managed to be congenial enough and they weren't on their guard (whoever answered). He could chat up whoever answered and peek behind them to see what he could see.

Which makes me think of another comment about the house, unrelated. Due to the odd layout, it seems like it would fall to whoever was living on the lowest floor, to answer the door most of the time anyone knocked. Wouldn't that be a hassle? Or maybe it's just the hermit/introvert in me. No wonder DM moved upstairs when a room opened up. MOO

OK, one more comment. People have been asking about when the residents moved into the house. I thought we knew that some of the residents had been there only since the start of that school year but that others had been there the year prior as well. Am I misremembering?
Can you tell Doordash to meet you at a specific door, or “text when you arrive”, so as not to wake up housemates? My local delivery services have done door drop offs with no interaction since Covid.

I just don’t see BK walking into a party. Especially as a grad student, they aren’t the same. They are sort of half a step from being adults and the ones I knew rarely interacted with underclassmen. Not to mention that he appears to not have much in the way of social graces, he’s not the guy that can just walk in and start chatting and fit in. Although he might not even be able to realize how out of place he seems. If he had ever been at the house and the surviving roommates saw him, I think they would definitely remember.

MOO your premise makes perfect sense to me regarding the likely reasons (internship, future employment, spending time with familiy) KG had left the Moscow student house by Nov 13th.
<snipped for focus>

In several interviews, Kaylee's parents told the media that Kaylee had moved out of the King Road house before the murders and moved back home in preparation for her new job, etc. There are a number of links to various media interviews, here is one below -

Also, there were other interviews where it was said that Kaylee was planning a trip to Europe before she started her new job in Texas, but I don't have the link for that information. It was discussed on this forum a number of times. IIRC, she was starting her new job in February or later and travelling around Europe before then, maybe in January? Perhaps others remember. I will see if I can find that information where it was discussed earlier on this forum.

Here is one source where parents say that Kaylee was planning a trip to Europe in January of 2023 before she started her new job in Texas.

The parents also shared their final memories of Kaylee, whom they described as a bright and ambitious young woman who had recently bought her first car, and was planning a backpacking trip to Europe in January ahead of beginning a new job.

Can you tell Doordash to meet you at a specific door, or “text when you arrive”, so as not to wake up housemates? My local delivery services have done door drop offs with no interaction since Covid.

I just don’t see BK walking into a party. Especially as a grad student, they aren’t the same. They are sort of half a step from being adults and the ones I knew rarely interacted with underclassmen. Not to mention that he appears to not have much in the way of social graces, he’s not the guy that can just walk in and start chatting and fit in. Although he might not even be able to realize how out of place he seems. If he had ever been at the house and the surviving roommates saw him, I think they would definitely remember.

BBM.

Who says they didn't?

And since Kaylee did an internship with her new employer (Extreme Networks) prior to being hired, there may have been something of interest on her laptop prior to the murders while she was in Moscow - or even at her parents' residence when she moved out of the King Road house in the fall of 2022.
Has it already been discussed, the fact that Kaylee still had a laptop from her internship with her future employer? Not to mention whatever might be on the laptop that could require a warrant. PC has been discussed at length so I won't get into it.

Just wondering as I found it sort of curious that Kaylee would still have the laptop from the internship, as well as the possibility there might be some worthwhile information on it.

ETA: Is it XTreme or Extreme? (one is in Texas the other in California)

Last edited:
Curious as to why they wouldn't prosecute, catching him redhanded and all.

Thief was a woman (who was fired from her government job not too long after this event - narrowly escaping charges for mishandling government pension funds; she's well-connected). Anyway, police said that since the timestamp was missing from the one video we got of her and because she was knocking on our door and we had not told her to stay off our property prior, her story was that she was "putting misdelivered mail" into our mailbox. (This was a lie; she had opened a letter of mine from the IRS and got my SSN that way - and yes, she did put it back).

I contacted the local postmaster and they said to fill out the form on the federal website. Naturally, nothing happened from that.

Here is what the police told us to do: get more cameras; padlock the power panel; put up a no trespassing sign; make it more clear where our property was by putting low fencing in strategy places. They sent a police officer to this woman's door and told her that we were requesting she not come on our property. She was told that if she was seen on our property again (after we put the signs up and she was warned) she would be charged with criminal trespass.

Needless to say, she and her husband have never set foot on our property again (well, her husband did one time, I called police immediately and he was told that he now was being asked to stay off our property and HE would go to jail if he trespassed again.

It was really awkward (we still live near them - she is now 78 years old and he is 88 - she was 60 when she jumped our fence). I can't believe how fast the time has gone and I rarely think about them any more. I learned that she had stolen from other neighbors (one lady had tried to warn us), from her own children, and from her husband's children. She has two Mercedes vehicles...a big house, etc. She's actually from my home town, so it was natural to be friendly with her, but when I talked to people who had known her socially, they said they had stopped having anything to do with her as it became known that she would host parties, have everyone put their coats and purses in a second floor bedroom, and money had gone missing at these parties, from those unattended person. Everyone at first suspected everyone else, but little by little, her own family (including one of her parents) made it known that she had this...problem.

When the fraudulent charges came in on one of my credit cards, the purchases were traced to an address in Austin, TX - and I was able to verify that it was this woman's daughter and husband who got the new cell phones. Her daughter is very good friends with one of my daughter's friends, so we knew that the thief's daughter was "happy and thankful" for the new phones (facebook post), a gift from Mom.

The bank refunded our money but said it was way too small a sum for them to get involved in criminal action in Texas.

The world is full of Criminal-Light People (I don't know what to call them). Naturally, working with police I hear way more stories of crime than the average person (and of course so do all of you, through coming here). Kohberger surely had way more information about crime than the average person. I am so proud of Moscow PD and all the other LE for solving this case and I personally believe they'll have tons more evidence by the preliminary.

IMO.

Has it already been discussed, the fact that Kaylee still had a laptop from her internship with her future employer? Not to mention whatever might be on the laptop that could require a warrant. PC has been discussed at length so I won't get into it.

Just wondering as I found it sort of curious that Kaylee would still have the laptop from the internship, as well as the possibility there might be some worthwhile information on it.

The Extreme Networks warrant is addressed to 6480 Via Del Oro, San Jose CA. Here's connected website. www.extremenetworks.com

I found this on google (I also posted this on a previous thread so the link is approved) Unfortunately the link has never worked.

Annika Carter on LinkedIn: Careers

View attachment 409665
LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com › posts › annika-carter-5810a6...

Sr. Director of Americas Field Marketing at Extreme Networks. 3mo. Kaylee Goncalves joined Extreme in June 2022 as an intern on the US Commercial team.

Speculation ahead:

I would like to know the addresses that were on the statements of those various back accounts, because one reason to have more than one account would be to share one with parents (as many college students do) but have a separate one (or two) for privacy.

I think we'll be very surprised to learn more about the lifestyle of these ordinary young college students. Did KG make enough money off of tips at that coffee stand to afford the Range Rover? Her mother says she "worked all the way through college" but usually students can't save up that much. I seem to remember her mother saying she paid for the Range Rover (as opposed to leasing it) but my memory may be faulty.

I also imagine they may have had a general house account, to fund the parties. In those bodycam noise complaint video there is one young man who is in both, kind of acting as spokesperson for the party house when the tenants appear to be absent, it seems to me that the girl who answered the door (possibly DM) went and got him and then he's at KG's side when she has her turn talking to the police. He has a friend at his side in one of the videos, as well. But this young man is not the boyfriend of any of the women in the house, AFAIK and is likely a member of Sigma Chi or of the fraternity to which KG's boyfriend belonged. He looks like an experienced frat president type, to me.

The reason to have a general house account is so that one can give out the information on how to send money to it without it looking like it's personal income (it's just a contribution for the keg). They may have wanted to make the lines of responsibility for the alcohol purchases a little more vague (two of the house residents were under age). I have other speculations about all this as well.

Speculation above. Lots to think about with the search warrant info.

MOO maybe the police want to ask relevant DDs for dash cam footage if they have it.
Those Dadhers would not know they may have filmed BK during his many visits to the house area.

This is what I think, as well. It's partly due diligence, but the DD drivers might sometimes use their own phones as dash cams and in that case, it's possible their footage is in the cloud. I wonder if they're attempting to find footage of BK being in Moscow more frequently than his phone shows that he is.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if, after the arrest, some students at UofI might well recognize him and have contacted police/given statements. Older students hanging around a university are common enough and they do get noticed. Anyone over 21 is a potential asset as a friend of a fraternity. Grad students sometimes are lonely enough to ingratiate themselves with younger students.

Maybe that green plant substance found at the Poconos house is a clue.

IMO. Speculation.

Police said Kohberger applied for an internship with the Pullman police in the fall of 2022. In an essay he said he wanted to help "rural law enforcement agencies with how to better collect and analyze technological data in public safety operations," according to court documents.
Idaho murders: Roommate saw killer in mask leaving the house, docs say

What in his background provided him with knowledge on analyzing IT data? If he's internet savvy, maybe he developed a backdoor into DD. I can't wait for the day when all of these warrants make sense.

You guys have likely discussed his SteptoeVillage apt.

"The university provides TV, Internet, water, sewer, garbage, steam heat and hot water. The resident is responsible for electricity and phone service. Residents have access to the city bus routes through bus stops located near SteptoeVillage. Graduate students can only select the one and two bedroom flats in this complex."

BK resided at this apt. for free by only paying for the electricity he used?
https://housing.wsu.edu/apartments/steptoe-village/

He had to pay rent (low by West Coast standards). Here's the chart:

The financial aid terms of the doctoral students in Criminology are laid out on the WSU Criminal Justice and Criminology webpage. He had to pay half tuition (OOS tuition, so about $7000 for the year), and then received wages or stipend as a TA that would pay for his rent and electricity.

As you can imagine, once that TA-ship was revoked, he was going to have real trouble with paying rent (might have had to take out loans - probably more loans on top of what DeSales cost). I imagine he borrowed the tuition. He would have been entitled to In State tuition on his following year, bringing the cost of his education down even further.

He actually had a really good deal at that program, IMO. As his attempts to acclimate and get along with others fizzled, he must have been very frustrated.

IMO.

I don’t have personal experience with this sort of work—but since Kaylee went straight from the internship to a job offer with the same company, wouldn’t it make sense that she’d keep the laptop? Work projects etc.

The search warrant for Extreme Networks (which was signed by the judge and issued on December 12, 2022) is to unlock the encrypted computer and have the forensic team download any information that they find that is relevant to the case.

From the search warrant and return by Extreme Networks, it sounds like local LE had the laptop and just needed a way to unlock it. So it would appear that Kaylee still had her work laptop from her summer internship, and it would not be uncommon for her to still have it since she was going to be working full time for Extreme Networks in the new year.

Regarding the search warrant for Extreme Networks to unlock Kaylee's encrypted work computer, below is from the search warrant's return information - redacted and sealed.

(4) On December 12, 2022, obtained search warrant for Extreme Networks;
(5) The warrant was served on December 12, 2022, via email
(6) On December 14, 2022, received an email fiom Det Neil Uhrig of the Post Falls Police Department stating he received the data to unlock the laptop;
(7) Det Uhrig completed forensic download of the data on the laptop;
(8) copy of the inventory receipt was emailed to (redacted) and (redacted)
(9) The data from the laptop was placed into evidence at Moscow Police Department

Edited to add link again (and added notes above where redactions were made)

We had a 28 year old grad student end up in our dormitory temporarily while they found him housing during my sophomore year.

He mind as well be have been a grandfather AND on top of that….he refused to buy for us LOL.

If it wasn’t alumni weekend and an older person walked into a party it would definitely go noticed. Some fraternities would check your school id card before letting you in. At least one person in the group had to have one.

The age gap doesn’t seem as wide when I think about it now. But at that time it felt like it

Regarding the search warrant for Extreme Networks to unlock Kaylee's encrypted work computer, below is from the search warrant's return information - redacted and sealed.

(4) On December 12, 2022, obtained search warrant for Extreme Networks;
(5) The warrant was served on December 12, 2022, via email
(6) On December 14, 2022, received an email fiom Det Neil Uhrig of the Post Falls Police Department stating he received the data to unlock the laptop;
(7) Det Uhrig completed forensic download ofthe data on the laptop;
(8) copy ofthe inventory receipt was emailed to and
(9) The data from the laptop was placed into evidence at Moscow Police Department

Edited to add link again

I was confused by the title at first. As enterprise level encryptions can’t be broken. But it’s clear that her job had the security key to unlock it.

IMO, in general LE would want access to all devices directly associated with someone (phones, laptops, tablets, etc).

Kaylee having the only professional job explains why she’s the only one with this type of request associated with her.

The “encryption” part might make it sound more ominous but all my home computer hard drives are encrypted. Otherwise someone could just take the hard drive and pull my data. My Mac and Windows password protection is useless at that point. Encryption prevents this.

So I wouldn’t read too much into this. Maybe they end up finding something on it. Who knows.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members