4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But there are no doors between the front and back of the house. Just staircases. All it would take would be the wind coming from the right direction to create a through-draught.

No idea. But the perpetrator could have opened it. Or the neighbour could be completely wrong. The door might never have been open on that day, at that time. I'd like to see more sources for this neighbour account, personally. Sometimes people want to help, and they misremember. It might have been a different morning the door was open, or later in the day than they thought it was, more in line with the first helpers arriving once the crime was discovered. Whatever - I think LE know the truth, based on the cam footage they have acquired from neighbouring homes, and statements from the folks who actually were in the home.

MOO
Another thing that makes me question the veracity of this report, is that it was reported 3 weeks after the crime. I would assume that the police had already spoken to that neighbour as part of the investigation back in mid November. IDK, but personally as the report itself is vague and consists of about one and half lines of content -doesn't have any statement other than the neigbour saw that the door was open at 8.30am - it's not much to speculate off even if true IMO. I agree that LE know the truth via cam footage, interviews with neighbour (immediately post crime) and via statements made by BF and/or DM. MOO

Good point. Maybe he didn't go to the house?
It seems so bizarre to me that he could commit mass murder at 4am and be back in the same general area a few hours later for some normal shopping, eating or errands. But, honestly, who knows what a mass murderer would do to "wind down", if you will? We would probably all be shocked and/or sickened to know. Having said that, I can see that this would be a big event for the killer. Huge. It does make sense to me that he would really want to see the aftermath. If he planned everything, I can certainly believe that seeing the aftermath was part of his plan. MOOooo

Another thing that makes me question the veracity of this report, is that it was reported 3 weeks after the crime. I would assume that the police had already spoken to that neighbour as part of the investigation back in mid November. IDK, but personally as the report itself is vague and consists of about one and half lines of content -doesn't have any statement other than the neigbour saw that the door was open at 8.30am - it's not much to speculate off even if true IMO. I agree that LE know the truth via cam footage, interviews with neighbour (immediately post crime) and via statements made by BF and/or DM. MOO
Agreed. It could be an honest mistake about the exact time, or whether the door was open at all. Or maybe one of the friends used that door to enter the house. Do we know what time Ethan's brother and the roommate's friends got there?

Agreed. It could be an honest mistake about the exact time, or whether the door was open at all. Or maybe one of the friends used that door to enter the house. Do we know what time Ethan's brother and the roommate's friends got there?
I can't remember what time Ethan's brother and co arrived, but I'm positive it would have been much closer to the time 911 was called, so you know around 12 or whenever that was. MOO

Scenario. Xana picked her DD order up when it was left and in trying to be quiet didn't get the door closed properly. In this scenario, the door was never closed, so no one opened it. It blew open. Since a neighbor saw it open at 8:30, we don't know how long it had been that way or when it got closed. JMO

Right, but that's exactly my point. The poster said it was accessible for hours. Another poster said we don't know that because we don't know how long it was open. That's what I was responding to. If the report is true and it was only open for a very short window of time, then someone either opened it or closed it or both around 8:30 in the morning. Otherwise, the poster is correct and the house was accessible for a while, if not hours.

MOO.

It was reported in the media three weeks after the crime. It might have been reported same-day to LE. We don't know.

MOO.

Right, but that's exactly my point. The poster said it was accessible for hours. Another poster said we don't know that because we don't know how long it was open. That's what I was responding to. If the report is true and it was only open for a very short window of time, then someone either opened it or closed it or both around 8:30 in the morning. Otherwise, the poster is correct and the house was accessible for a while, if not hours.

MOO.
It doesn't have to be "someone", it could be "something". JMO

It was reported in the media three weeks after the crime. It might have been reported same-day to LE. We don't know.

MOO.
Well, there's this:

“I’m not even sure where that came from, to be quite honest,” Fry told the Daily Mail on Thursday, adding that it was the first time he had heard anything about an open door.

I'm sure this has been posted numerous times, but as a refresher: the weather conditions in Moscow, ID on 11/13/22

Thanks @maconrich So it was foggy.

Moscow Weather History for November 13, 2022​

3:53 am
wt-14.svg
28 °FIce fog.

Well, there's this:

“I’m not even sure where that came from, to be quite honest,” Fry told the Daily Mail on Thursday, adding that it was the first time he had heard anything about an open door.

So, given that statement, unless it's confirmed by LE or testimony at trial, I'm going to assume it's got no basis.

MOO

I agree totally, and to my mind it is general enough to serve the purpose of not excluding BK as being the stranger DM saw in the house that night. If DM is called as witness I've wondered how far a judge would allow defense to go (over prosecution objections) in trying to discredit DM's description on the basis of her state of mind at the time, or some attempt to try and prove that she could have hallucinated or even be lying (note I don't believe this to be the case in the least but trying to think what defense may try). Would defense try that? IDK, I'd guess that they probably would to a lesser or greater extent. I feel the approach would serve defense better if gentle rather than confrontational or at least I would hope so. Anyway, maybe that is a question for future discussion if DM is called at trial stage. MOO
I don't think the defense would try to discredit DM directly. I think they would put someone else on the stand as their witness - maybe one or two people who would testify as to DM's state of mind that night, etc. So it would be done indirectly through witnesses who saw her that night or were with her that night or with whom she communicated that night.

The back door is on the 2nd floor of the house. The front door is on the 1st floor. Even if the back door was left open it wouldn't cause the front door to open or close. JMO IME
I agree. Plus according to the archived weather info you posted there was hardly any wind on Nov 13. From 12am-6am it was measured at an average of 1.86mph and from 6am-12pm 1.24mph. I'm not sure that level of "wind" blowing through a second floor open door would affect a 1st flr door. I'm not sure it would even blow open the front door if blowing on it directly. (Looks like it opens in as would be usual.)
JMO

It seems so bizarre to me that he could commit mass murder at 4am and be back in the same general area a few hours later for some normal shopping, eating or errands. But, honestly, who knows what a mass murderer would do to "wind down", if you will? We would probably all be shocked and/or sickened to know. Having said that, I can see that this would be a big event for the killer. Huge. It does make sense to me that he would really want to see the aftermath. If he planned everything, I can certainly believe that seeing the aftermath was part of his plan. MOOooo
I bet he was home watching the news on his computer and couldn't believe nothing was coming in about the murders.

So he finally gives up waiting and drives down out of sheer curiosity. He looks for signs of a crime like police vehicles all over. Doesn't take him long to see nothing is happening so he goes back to his apartment to wait again.

Apparently he was at his apartment and wasn't in Moscow very long that morning.

He was probably shocked at how long it took for the news to pick it up. I bet he wasn't expecting to wait so long for news.

And I wonder if he was shocked when he heard a witness saw him and described him enough not to rule him out. If that was him.

2 Cents

I bet he was home watching the news on his computer and couldn't believe nothing was coming in about the murders.

So he finally gives up waiting and drives down out of sheer curiosity. He looks for signs of a crime like police vehicles all over. Doesn't take him long to see nothing is happening so he goes back to his apartment to wait again.

Apparently he was at his apartment and wasn't in Moscow very long that morning.

He was probably shocked at how long it took for the news to pick it up. I bet he wasn't expecting to wait so long for news.

And I wonder if he was shocked when he heard a witness saw him and described him enough not to rule him out. If that was him.

2 Cents
We didn't know about the witness until the PCA, so he would have been processing that at the same time as the rest of us.

MOO

Yep, when the attack actually happened it would have been pretty dark in the house. So the attacker didn't really get to see the deceased students. Maybe he really really wanted to see them, and so he went back when it was light. Just a thought.

If the defense starts trying to grill the witness as to why 911 wasn't called sooner and gets off topic away from her description. Defense trying to open doors to what went on with other people in the house that morning. Defense has to stick to a specific line of questioning on cross examination, can't just introduce a new line of questioning or lead the witness down a "yellow brick road."

When a judge rules the objection is "sustained" it means the judge agrees the question was improper under the rules of evidence.

Some common reasons for objections include:
  • Irrelevant - the testimony given after a question asked or the particular item of evidence is not relevant to the case
  • Violation of the hearsay rule
  • Asked and answered
  • Speculative - the question calls for the witness to speculate about something
  • Violation of the best evidence rule
  • Leading

Last edited:
Re the open front door

Maybe BK left in a hurry through it?

I know he was seen by D moving to the kitchen, but maybe he changed his mind?

Maybe leaving through the front door was less conspicuous?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member