4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terribly unfair, if true; his sisters had nothing to do with him allegedly murdering 4 people. But haters will hate all over the place, unfortunately, another sad repercussion of the crimes he allegedly committed. JMO

I wonder where this information is coming from and if it's confirmed. JMO, but I believe employers can't reveal if someone was terminated or quit, so unless this comes from the sisters, I'm more inclined to believe the latter. MOO.

That's terribly unfair, if true; his sisters had nothing to do with him allegedly murdering 4 people. But haters will hate all over the place, unfortunately, another sad repercussion of the crimes he allegedly committed. JMO

PA is a right to work state, if this is in PA. Many states are (most states?)

What if no one wants their children to be around a school counselor from this family? People are very weird in their (strong) opinions and we live in very opinionated times. We also do not know if they were actually fired (I don't trust any of the sources on that, as the reports are not specific). It's the aspect of crime that most interests me (the terrible plunge into hell that murderers drag SO many people into - including their own families).

One can be let go for any reason in most US states. People are let go for less - and it is unfair, but life isn't fair. It's reality. It is indeed sad.

IMO.

I agree. Very much overreach or blatant exaggeration on something like that and you would start seeing a lot of that judges stuff being overturned by higher courts.
What is overreach, do you think?

In this case, it seems essential to figure out whether BK had any interactions with victims, to show premeditation. It's a death penalty case. Those records could help - or hurt - him. Probably more likely to hurt him, but that's how it is.

I think it's unfair to criticize the judge for doing his job, myself.
IMO

That's a good point. What I don't understand is how BK could be a threat to anyone when he's in jail? I think it's something else. Maybe to do with the "intimate facts" and "invasion of personal privacy"? Or maybe where he got the murder weapon? <moo>
Until he's bound over for trial and convicted (if he is), the Judge has to take precautions to protect all forms of witnesses. People have escaped jail. People have induced others outside the jail to act on their behalf. That's the very nature of criminal justice - we put certain people in jail for alleged criminal actions, as we must.

I think the "personal facts" part is the issue - and that it is a huge issue looming over this case. The victims themselves need protection in all this, but may not receive it, if Justice needs to be served using some of that data. Look at what happened to Suzanne Morphew. It's very sad.

IMO.

So far we haven't seen a Meta Platforms Inc search warrant in BK's name.

Isn't there one for Instagram? I imagine each platform needs a separate warrant, but I'm just guessing.

how would an internal affairs investigation of an officer have anything to do with this case???

Maybe someone defied the gag order. It's also possible that the reason is the one just given by @Sister Golden Hair

What if no one wants their children to be around a school counselor from this family? People are very weird in their (strong) opinions and we live in very opinionated times. We also do not know if they were actually fired (I don't trust any of the sources on that, as the reports are not specific). It's the aspect of crime that most interests me (the terrible plunge into hell that murderers drag SO many people into - including their own families).

One can be let go for any reason in most US states. People are let go for less - and it is unfair, but life isn't fair. It's reality. It is indeed sad.

IMO.

What is overreach, do you think?

In this case, it seems essential to figure out whether BK had any interactions with victims, to show premeditation. It's a death penalty case. Those records could help - or hurt - him. Probably more likely to hurt him, but that's how it is.

I think it's unfair to criticize the judge for doing his job, myself.
IMO

Until he's bound over for trial and convicted (if he is), the Judge has to take precautions to protect all forms of witnesses. People have escaped jail. People have induced others outside the jail to act on their behalf. That's the very nature of criminal justice - we put certain people in jail for alleged criminal actions, as we must.

I think the "personal facts" part is the issue - and that it is a huge issue looming over this case. The victims themselves need protection in all this, but may not receive it, if Justice needs to be served using some of that data. Look at what happened to Suzanne Morphew. It's very sad.

IMO.

Isn't there one for Instagram? I imagine each platform needs a separate warrant, but I'm just guessing.

Maybe someone defied the gag order. It's also possible that the reason is the one just given by @Sister Golden Hair
Quote:

"Maybe someone defied the gag order."

Yes! They did. These LE sources, such as the Instagram account information.

"It’s a huge issue that this source is leaking information," Edwina Elcox, the Boise-based former attorney of "Cult Mom" child killing suspect Lori Vallow. "That has the potential to compromise the integrity of the investigation and prosecution of the case."

The remarks came after a series of reports in which unnamed law enforcement sources made claims about the stabbing suspect and the evidence against him – including that he allegedly had a stockpile of photos of one of the victims on his phone and sent at least one of them messages over Instagram before the crime.

Last edited:

What if no one wants their children to be around a school counselor from this family? People are very weird in their (strong) opinions and we live in very opinionated times.

Snipped for focus. I'd have to pick my jaw off the ground if someone not guilty of any wrongdoing was fired because of who they're related to. If parents don't want their kids around a counselor who (AFAWK) did nothing wrong but happens to be related to BK, then that parent should move their kid to a different school. IMO, the school would be in for a hell of a lawsuit for firing a counselor for such a reason.

MOO.

I wonder where this information is coming from and if it's confirmed. JMO, but I believe employers can't reveal if someone was terminated or quit, so unless this comes from the sisters, I'm more inclined to believe the latter. MOO.
The reporter gave one sister's job as "former actor" or something like that. She had a part in a movie some time ago, but it's been reported by more reputable sources that she has (had) a job. I imagine that organization may get something right at times, but for now, I ignore any of their "unnamed source" reporting.

Snipped for focus. I'd have to pick my jaw off the ground if someone not guilty of any wrongdoing was fired because of who they're related to. If parents don't want their kids around a counselor who (AFAWK) did nothing wrong but happens to be related to BK, then that parent should move their kid to a different school. IMO, the school would be in for a hell of a lawsuit for firing a counselor for such a reason.

MOO.

As stated, I have my doubts about the reliability of the information. That being said, if a private school is involved, it's definitely plausible. PS employees often have contracts with all manner of stipulations. Unhappy parents threaten to pull students. If there is any wiggle room in the contract, the employee will be fired

As stated, I have my doubts about the reliability of the information. That being said, if a private school is involved, it's definitely plausible. PS employees often have contracts with all manner of stipulations. Unhappy parents threaten to pull students. If there is any wiggle room in the contract, the employee will be fired

Again, will have to pick my jaw off the floor if this happens. Unless the teacher is in violation of the contract, not just parent's objection due to her relative, I have a very hard time seeing this. I just can't imagine the school's position. "Your brother's a bad man, so uh, you're fired." Can you provide a link for such cases please?

Principal should stick up for her. Should be judged on her merits alone. But yes, there is the source reliability to consider.

So I guess this sister won't be too keen on putting money into Bryan's jail account. Without an income, apparently, Bryan has to rely on family and friends and his twisted admirers for money.

Jail is expensive. The phone calls alone are a rip off, Biden wants to get something passed to help that situation.

Then he has to pay five cents per minute just to watch old movies on a tablet. He has to pay for video calls and pay just to access his email.

Then of course he needs commissary items, not just snacks, but if this is like most jails he needs to buy necessities. Inmates normally don't get enough of the basic items they need. He is at a severe disadvantage in regards to this because other inmates can't help him out with this.

Jail items are used as currency but he is isolated from the other inmates.

2 Cents

Some inmates, in certain situations, have this to deal with:

Last edited:
Today's gift from the legal deities makes this warrant more interesting, too. 8.1.2022-present (11.19.2022). numbers known, names unknown. They had some PC to get it. jmo imo

I notice reading the documents that this was a detective requesting data from T-Mobile.
BK was described in the PCA as having an AT&T cellphone.
Not sure if significant (BK could have had another cellphone with T-Mobile service or someone he knew did, or one of the victims or someone in their circle or friends?).
ETA: But considering the Brady/Giglio violation you've pointed out, maybe an LE investigator promised someone immunity if they divulged that T-Mobile cellphone number so LE could look into that person's activities on their device, and then "ran with it" and didn't actually have the credentials to grant them immunity or didn't get approval for it, so now that info has to be protected because things weren't done right.
jmo

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed> Whatever the internal affairs investigation is about, the defense will be very interested in looking for anything that could affect this case.

BK's defense lawyer, Anne Taylor, was successful on appeal in another case in Idaho when a police officer lied under oath (IIRC) and the appellate court looked into the police officer's background and found him to not be a credible witness. I believe the appeals court judge ordered a retrial.

Everything needs to be done by the book in this case so as to avoid a mistrial or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice reading the documents that this was a detective requesting data from T-Mobile.
BK was described in the PCA as having an AT&T cellphone.
Not sure if significant (BK could have had another cellphone with T-Mobile service or someone he knew did, or one of the victims or someone in their circle or friends?).
ETA: But considering the Brady/Giglio violation you've pointed out, maybe an LE investigator promised someone immunity if they divulged that T-Mobile cellphone number so LE could look into that person's activities on their device, and then "ran with it" and didn't actually have the credentials to grant them immunity or didn't get approval for it, so now that info has to be protected because things weren't done right.
jmo

LE did geofence warrant on tmobile first. I think they found something interesting.
11.13 3-5 a.m., just like the others:

And I think the immunity issue is bigger. here's my reasoning on that (in addition to a lot of stuff I can't say here):
if LE promised someone immunity, that someone would have to be hooked up with something that required immunity and they'd have to have knowledge of the murders or something related to a crime discovered during the murders that is also a crime. If LE had the numbers - and they did - then my guess is those numbers came up in the geofence warrant and LE took it from there.

My best guess: I think the immunity has to do with the broad scope of warrants for DD and for tinder. And the person who gave that up now needs protection from the others on the list because it's about to come out that they gave LE the info. that is my guess. icbw. it's just a guess, but I can't see LE offering immunity fr phone numbers imo jmo ime. I have another guess I can't share here.

but def an officer seems to have promised immunity or a sweet deal for testimony and failed to share that with the defense. that's when Brady and Giglio got married. there could be other evidence withheld from the defense too (that's just Brady). and this is all jmo imo my theory and today's gift

Whatever the internal affairs investigation is about, the defense will be very interested in looking for anything that could affect this case.

BK's defense lawyer, Anne Taylor, was successful on appeal in another case in Idaho when a police officer lied under oath (IIRC) and the appellate court looked into the police officer's background and found him to not be a credible witness. I believe the appeals court judge ordered a retrial.

Everything needs to be done by the book in this case so as to avoid a mistrial or worse.
Yes, indeed, Sundog, good points.

Personally, I would be surprised if with all the complexities of the case (4 people brutally murdered in cold blood who were innocent victims, with so many branches of LE working it, some 70 agents from the FBI in addition to local LE, IIRC, and maybe some elevated desperation on everyone's parts to find the perp, quite understandably, IMO), there weren't some missteps made, and this one may stand out because it wasn't vetted, or worse.

I would give LE the benefit of the doubt, though, and hope the Prosecution doing what they are able to do to circumscribe any wrongdoing on the part of one individual working the case out from the rest of what the majority of LEO and agents did to identify and capture the suspect would rise to the top.

I guess it remains to be seen. <sigh> jmo

Yes, indeed, Sundog, good points.

Personally, I would be surprised if with all the complexities of the case (4 people brutally murdered in cold blood who were innocent victims, with so many branches of LE working it, some 70 agents from the FBI in addition to local LE, IIRC, and maybe some elevated desperation on everyone's parts to find the perp, quite understandably, IMO), there weren't some missteps made, and this one may stand out because it wasn't vetted, or worse.

I would give LE the benefit of the doubt, though, and hope the Prosecution doing what they are able to do to circumscribe any wrongdoing on the part of one individual working the case out from the rest of what the majority of LEO and agents did to identify and capture the suspect would rise to the top.

I guess it remains to be seen. <sigh> jmo

Well, we know that the officer is being investigated by internal affairs because of the Brady/Giglio materials. I think it's important to note - in the interest of being fair to LE and the officer - that this is a violation regardless of intent. The officer may not have had nefarious motives. it's still an issue, and it's not just AT sniffing around but an actual, serious violation, and prosecutorial misconduct is a grave issue - but the officer who did this could make an honest mistake and still be in this kimchee.

Giglio v. United States, 405 U.S. 150 (1972), is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court held that the prosecution's failure to inform the jury that a witness had been promised not to be prosecuted in exchange for his testimony was a failure to fulfill the duty to present all material evidence to the jury, and constituted a violation of due process, requiring a new trial.[1] This is the case even if the failure to disclose was a matter of negligence and not intent. The case extended the Court's holding in Brady v. Maryland,[2]requiring such agreements to be disclosed to defense counsel.[3] As a result of this case, the term Giglio material is sometimes used to refer to any information pertaining to deals that witnesses in a criminal case may have entered into with the government.[4]

...the State has become aware of potential Brady/Giglio material related to one of the officers involved in the above-referenced case. That material, in the form of a confidential internal affairs investigation, is hereby submitted in camera to the Court. The State intends to disclose this information to defendant’s counsel but, because this information is confidential and exempt from public disclosure pursuant to Idaho Code 74-106(1) (personnel records)...

Principal should stick up for her. Should be judged on her merits alone. But yes, there is the source reliability to consider.

So I guess this sister won't be too keen on putting money into Bryan's jail account. Without an income, apparently, Bryan has to rely on family and friends and his twisted admirers for money.

Jail is expensive. The phone calls alone are a rip off, Biden wants to get something passed to help that situation.

Then he has to pay five cents per minute just to watch old movies on a tablet. He has to pay for video calls and pay just to access his email.

Then of course he needs commissary items, not just snacks, but if this is like most jails he needs to buy necessities. Inmates normally don't get enough of the basic items they need. He is at a severe disadvantage in regards to this because other inmates can't help him out with this.

Jail items are used as currency but he is isolated from the other inmates.

2 Cents

Some inmates, in certain situations, have this to deal with:

I can see someone in jail having access to law books and reading materials and occasional calls to family. TV, ipads, and emails are privileges and unnecessary. He’s got food, shelter and one hour to exercise.

I can see someone in jail having access to law books and reading materials and occasional calls to family. TV, ipads, and emails are privileges and unnecessary. He’s got food, shelter and one hour to exercise.
Privileges are something the jail can take away if he breaks rules, he already is in solitary confinement.

Standard for inmates to have access to TVs.

Remember, most inmates in jail have not even been proven guilty and are just not able to post bail or for some, not given bail.

He needs access to email for his attorneys but as far as I know his communication with attorneys is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jidariesh