4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the DNA doesn't belong to a boyfriend if the investigation ruled out all significant others and recent exes (which I believe it did). The DNA was put through CODIS, per the court documents, so LE was actually interested in who it belonged to, at least at first.

You also don't have to rely on the Daily Mail. Multiple other news organizations picked up the story, including CNN. Honestly, I don't trust any of the MSM on this case. Seems to me the vast majority have had slanted coverage. But I do trust official court documents.

In the Morphew case, it was amazing how glovebox DNA found its way to news outlets, citing an imaginary sex offender. Barry Morphew’s attorney made the most of that dead end.

I am not surprised that there are 3 unmatched samples at the scene. That does not make them the murderer, but an attorney can certainly use that angle. I am surely in the minority here, but I would not encourage my child to come forward and supply their DNA if they had innocently been in the house prior. I would hope they would have ample evidence of BK’s guilt, without needing to have all others end up in a database with whatever long term ramifications that might bring. I might change my mind if that was the one thing that stood between acquittal and conviction. I get it, in the next few years we will all be traceable via DNA. I’m just not willing yet.

ID. Crim Rule 45. Method for Computing Time
:) I'm curious about this too. My guess is not including weekends or federal holidays. moo
@arielilane
I posted (about 12 hrs ago) the ID Crim Rule method for the calculation, but not so easy as just saying --- exclude the weekends or fed holidays.

Just opening WS this a.m., so IDK if someone has actually done the calculation & posted it.

Last edited:
In the Morphew case, it was amazing how glovebox DNA found its way to news outlets, citing an imaginary sex offender. Barry Morphew’s attorney made the most of that dead end.

I am not surprised that there are 3 unmatched samples at the scene. That does not make them the murderer, but an attorney can certainly use that angle. I am surely in the minority here, but I would not encourage my child to come forward and supply their DNA if they had innocently been in the house prior. I would hope they would have ample evidence of BK’s guilt, without needing to have all others end up in a database with whatever long term ramifications that might bring. I might change my mind if that was the one thing that stood between acquittal and conviction. I get it, in the next few years we will all be traceable via DNA. I’m just not willing yet.
BBM. Thanks for the reminder about the unknown DNA in the Morphew case. I had no idea it had been discounted until I read about it from knowledgeable posters right here on WS.

In this case, I think the jury will give far more weight to BK's DNA on the knife sheath left next to victims than on the DNA left by unknowns somewhere else in the house or on the property.

JMO

During undergrad...on any given week/weekend at [a state's flagship public University in the Northeast, 30k+ students] I'd attend 3 or 4 parties. 1 or 2 out of 20 might be thrown by someone I knew personally. But the vast majority were complete strangers to me. I'd usually identify the people who lived there when I coughed up my $5 for a red solo cup for the keg and likely never say a word to them again.

At some of the larger parties at homes/town halls/apartments/condos with reputations for knowing what they were doing you would see a couple of hundred people coming in and out on any given night.

We typically had people we knew from home visiting us and tagging along to said parties. There would also be other people with their own visitors and students from neighboring Universities.

The fact that there are only 3 unknown DNA samples in that party house ('party house' as reported) is a victory for the prosecution. As most people expected a lot more than that.

The author of the PCA said it could have been Xana. But I agree that DM would recognize her roommates voice. IMO, that was Kaylee, just as DM thought.

MOO.
LE likely put that in the PCA because it supports whatever timeline and sequence they've come up with.

I'd imagine that they have supporting evidence for it being Xana as they would have to contradict DM to present it. Because hanging your timeline on asking DM, inside of a courtroom, "could that also have been Xana?" based on absolutely nothing is not good.

BBM. Thanks for the reminder about the unknown DNA in the Morphew case. I had no idea it had been discounted until I read about it from knowledgeable posters right here on WS.

In this case, I think the jury will give far more weight to BK's DNA on the knife sheath left next to victims than on the DNA left by unknowns somewhere else in the house or on the property.

JMO

Exactly.

BK's DNA TRUMPS 2 unknown male DNA's in the house.

Now if the unknown DNA were on the knife sheath the defense could have a field day with that. However, that still wouldn't negate BK's own DNA on the knife sheath.

Actually I'm pretty sure that the defense doesn't see it as good news that only 2 unknown DNA's were found in the house. This is actually in the prosecution's favor.

If there had been a dozen unknown male DNA samples found In the home then the defense would actually have a stronger case.

Defense (hypothetical)

"There are 12 unknown male DNA profiles found in the victims' home, there were a great many male guests in and out of the property and any one of them could have been the perpetrator of these crimes."

Prosecution (hypothetical)

"Inside the home we only have 2 male DNA samples not identified to a specific individual. These samples were not even recovered in the victim's bedrooms and can be attributed to X Y and Z."

2 Cents

Deadline for Prosecutor re DP Notice. Extending Deadline?

Thanks for your link, @ Nila Aella, to ID's statute estab'ing the 60 day deadline* and for calculating deadline as July 21.
TYVM :) @Nila Aella

I see the 60 day deadline can be EXTENDED by ct,
--- for good cause shown AND
--- w. stipulation of the state & def't's atty.**

i wonder if that happens. How often?
Anyone think it could happen here? IDK.

* " 18-4004A. NOTICE OF INTENT TO SEEK DEATH PENALTY. (1) A sentence of death shall not be imposed unless the prosecuting attorney filed written notice of intent to seek the death penalty with the court and served the notice upon the defendant or his attorney of record no later than sixty (60) days after entry of a plea...."

** Also 18-4004A
"...upon a showing of good cause, and a stipulation by the state and the defendant and his attorney of record the court may extend the time for the filing of the notice of intent to seek the death penalty for a reasonable period of time."

Judge John Judge of Idaho’s 2nd Judicial District Court, who is overseeing the case, scheduled a hearing for June 27 in Latah County to address the defense’s motion to compel discovery. Judge also will consider the defense’s request for a pause in court proceedings while it continues to wait on delayed grand jury indictment records from the prosecution.

I see folks making assumptions that prosecutors have turned over all but the genealogical information held by the FBI. So logically, this is leading people to believe that there's nothing connecting BK to the victims (technology, DNA, etc).

IMO those people are reading it wrong...prosecutors are holding on to a lot. And BKs alibi is 1 of dozens of reasons why they are slow playing it.

Or am I the one who's wrong?

I see folks making assumptions that prosecutors have turned over all but the genealogical information held by the FBI. So logically, this is leading people to believe that there's nothing connecting BK to the victims (technology, DNA, etc).

IMO those people are reading it wrong...

You ain't wrong......IMO

IMO those people are reading it wrong...prosecutors are holding on to a lot. And BKs alibi is 1 of dozens of reasons why they are slow playing it.

You aren't wrong. I agree they are holding on to a lot of info and that's why they decided to avoid a preliminary hearing. They want to avoid tainting the jury pool before trial.

JMO

I would expect all kinds of DNA to be in that house, all over it, outside, inside, everywhere, but there is only one place the defendant's DNA appeared and that was the snap on the knife sheath. The defense is doing what defenses usually do-- it is defense 101-

Last edited:

Interesting.

I think the DNA on knife sheath is the "smoking gun" directly connecting BK to the victims.

I think we will see a SM connection between BK and the victims. There are MSM articles with LE "sources"
talking about a direct link between BK and having a victim all over his phone, something like that, and messaging a victim, etc...

The amounts of Warrants is massive and staggering as to looking for a connection. There are so many different accounts it can make your head spin! Going all the way back to January 2021.

No connection? I highly doubt it.

2 Cents

Looks like the prosecution just filed a Notice of Idaho code 18-4004A Notice of Intent to seek the Death Penalty
OMG

The State is filing for the Death Penalty and Websleuths caught it before the media. Not even in the media yet. Expect media fireworks!

Thanks to super sleuth Nila Aella
  • 06/26/2023 Notice Pursuant to Idaho Code 18-4004A
  • Consequently, considering all evidence currently known to the State, the State is compelled to file this notice of intent to seek the death penalty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626-170908.png
    Screenshot_20230626-170908.png
    247.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230626-170929.png
    Screenshot_20230626-170929.png
    238 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230626-170945.png
    Screenshot_20230626-170945.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OMG

The State is filing for the Death Penalty and Websleuths caught it before the media. Not even in the media yet. Expect media fireworks!

Thanks to super sleuth Nila Aella
  • 06/26/2023 Notice Pursuant to Idaho Code 18-4004A
  • Consequently, considering all evidence currently known to the State, the State is compelled to file this notice of intent to seek the death penalty.
YES, @Nila Aella !!!!! Thanks for always being ON IT. And @Cool Cats, for always making me smile !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader