4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pundits are making a lot of hay about the DNA analysis that yielded that at "least" 99.9998%" of the male population would be excluded from the sample belonging to the suspect's biological father (now they have BK's direct DNA) as being "touch" DNA. I don't see that touch argument being a winner but you never know what a jury will do.

jmo

Touch DNA is still DNA. It has only one source: the living body of the person who produced it. Then, of course, they touched whatever the object in question might be. Presumably, the reason the sample was so valuable is that, well, he touched the sheath, depositing epithelial cells (skin cells) and thereby providing the lab with his full DNA. Which, predictably, matched his dad's DNA at 50%. I sometimes wonder if they ever found his mom's DNA in the trash, as well. That would make for a very convincing object lesson, for the jury.

A truly anti-science juror would be a nightmare in any legal case, that's for sure. They won't want to believe physics or chemistry, either, in that case (and ultimately, DNA is bound by the laws of physics and chemistry, it's actually a fairly simple system).

In this case, I expect that if there is a lone hold-out, it still won't go to a mistrial (they'll compromise in the penalty section). This is JMO.

The part about DNA is scientific fact.

Consciousness of guilt.

BK apparently and coincidentally (so many of these) stopped driving at night shortly after the murders. He can't even use the excuse of "I knew I had a white Elantra and was scared I'd be framed" since there's a 2 or 3 week gap there where he goes nowhere near Moscow.
he would not say he was "scared he would be framed"- just that he was "scared"... his Dad told the Indiana Patrol Officer about the murders... and BK could be scared because the killer took out male and female victims IMO
Wonder what BK said to his family about the murders.

Idaho murders: FBI directed Indiana police to pull over Bryan ...

1691175935957.jpeg
fox13seattle.com
https://www.fox13seattle.com › news › idaho-murders-fb...

Jan 4, 2023 — Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger's dad mentioned WSU SWAT shooting in new police bodycam. Newly obtained bodycam video shows Idaho murders ...

he would not say he was "scared he would be framed"- just that he was "scared"... his Dad told the Indiana Patrol Officer about the murders... and BK could be scared because the killer took out male and female victims IMO

View attachment 439047
fox13seattle.com

Jan 4, 2023 — Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger's dad mentioned WSU SWAT shooting in new police bodycam. Newly obtained bodycam video shows Idaho murders ...
The FBI denied asking Indiana police to pull BK over.

Well... he had too most likely.
For sure couldn't say he was at home IMO.
Driving around is his only out I think. Always can say he was framed- someone put his sheath and DNA in home but it wasn't him.
Also I don't see how not driving around an area (if usual area) after there is a high profile murder in said area is strange at all. Especially when 4 people are slaughtered.

As always, I wonder how he can do this without taking the stand. For example, if he wants to claim that he's never seen or touched a Ka-Bar knife sheath (and there really are no Amazon records of the purchase), how does he do that? Will it just be his lawyer's assertion (without evidence, as she can't prove a negative) in opening and closing arguments? No witnesses or experts?

"Someone framed him" is a version of an alibi, I believe. I think that without some suggestion of who that could be, and without Kohberger taking the stand, the defense of "someone somehow got my DNA and stuck it only on the snap of the sheath" is very weak.

IOW, Kohberger literally cannot "say" anything that works at trial - unless he takes the stand in his own behalf. I'd love to know what his phone says about all his other late night travel. If it was merely occasionally that he went to Moscow at 3-4 am, what were those occasions? I agree that his stopping his late night trips to Moscow isn't surprising (even if he were innocent) but to stop them altogether, when this was supposedly a long term thing he did? Doesn't sound very strong.

I have a general question too (if anyone knows). Do we actually know that BK and his dad stayed in a motel on their way back? If so, where was it, if anyone knows. I know he was bent on getting Thai food, IIRC, up the road in Indiana - but it's possible that they were sharing driving and that BK drove the night shift as well as part of the day. I guess I'm interested in his sleep habits.

imo

View attachment 439047
fox13seattle.com

And of course, then there's the FBI denying it ever did so:

(and several other sources). This case is quite perplexing.

imo.

True, but once it is floated, can it be retracted? I don't think so. She owns that alibi now, IMO

I think that GJ complaint will eventually fall flat. There is plenty of evidence for him to go to trial as charged. JMO

I think the motion to set aside the GJ verdict on the basis she is citing will fall flat because it's dangerous. It opens up the potential for challenges from every currently incarcerated inmate whose conviction was initiated by GJ indictment. Notwithstanding the ridiculous (imo) argument that the legislative intent was "really" to require a state convict a person twice - once by GJ and then again by trial.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member