4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel I have to say that genetic genealogy's proper *academic* home is anthropology (if one is a four field anthropologist - which not all programs are). That's because we have to take and pass graduate courses and exams on both kinship (including every form of genealogy under the sun - because people's statements about their ancestry are one thing; their genes are another) and genes. We take graduate level courses in both topics (when I was in school, we had more units in kinship than in genetics - which is why I do go around calling myself a genetic genealogy "expert." Bill Durham is and was a genetic genealogy expert. Luca Cavalli-Sforza and Spencer Wells are genetic genealogy experts. To the extent that I have carefully studied under them or with them, I have some expertise (and have written affidavits, but *never* without objectivity, never just in favor of one side - Judges are sometimes the ones doing the asking but a good criminal defense attorney wants objective truth, not oddball challenges based on "I heard someone somewhere made a mistake.")

None of my affidavits, though, were on genetic genealogy (although I have assisted many, many people in doing their own GG work - and teach basic techniques in my own lab; using computers, obviously).

This is my professional opinion, though (note the word opinion). Genes are facts and if, for example, I had 600,000 SNP's from Bryan Kohberger in a data file and could look at them (one from his buccal swab; one from the sheath), I could offer what are basically facts (legal and biological). Not opinion. Genes are not theoretical. And that's why we define things carefully in science. There are laws of reproduction, just as there are laws of motion.

IMPO.

And now an opinion:

that new GG person the defense is using is not an expert. That indeed is JMO.
I’ve consider this as well … did a novice conduct the research. I have several friends that research old war sites, unidentified, as volunteers. All are professionals from a major university, working with DNA, genetics in one form or another. I’ve not heard any conversation on certification or licenses required.

Does the law require a certification/license? What requirements must law enforcement follow?

Also what if they used a private /commercial lab?

Thanks

Here's some info on defense witness Leah Larkin: (or I'm assuming this is probably her)

Steve Mercer:
Steve Mercer is a practicing lawyer in Maryland (1995) and the District of Columbia (1997). Steve’s experience and expertise focus on the use of scientific evidence in criminal and civil litigation. Steve is considered one of the nation’s top attorneys on the subject of complex mixtures of touch DNA.......Steve is also actively involved in criminal justice reform legislation, education, and public commentary on issues involving the reliability of forensic science and the impact of technology on civil liberties. .........Steve is passionate about the particular issues related to DNA mixtures, touch DNA, the continued expansion of law enforcement DNA databanks, and emerging law enforcement techniques such as using the similarities of DNA between related persons to identify family members of individuals in a DNA databank. His views are often discussed and debated in national news media. RacquinMercer LLC

SO. My take. The D is planning to use this case to try to establish new rules about LE using genetic DNA websites even though the state didn't plan to use genealogy at trial? The D has to get it in somehow.
MOO
The judge will allow the witnesses but he'll come to a decision based on the law or risk future appeals by the P. Moo.. The IGG has no bearing on str analysis of dna and match with defendant. It's irrelevant to guilt/punishment,or how the dna got on the sheath. Moo

I’m very curious to hear this in its entirety whenever the media can stream it (after it is over today).

I wonder if the State is almost saying that they “don’t have” any more info from lab regarding the 3 unidentified male DNA referenced by the Defense? Judge is asking them to ask the lab again to check. It’s strange to me how much the State has been fighting handing some of this stuff over, and if their case was so strong why do they seem concerned about handing some of this stuff over? Would it introduce more reasonable doubt? Their arguments about what is “relevant” are disappointing to me, I don’t believe the process is supposed to work in a way where prosecution decides what is “relevant” to the defense & can simply say it’s not relevant as their reasoning for not disclosing it.

This is interesting because LE apparently did not run DNA on the 3 other unknown male DNA samples BEFORE making an arrest. I would think that running those tests and trying to identify who they were is investigation 101 basic kind of stuff. Those samples definitely should have been run to aid in making a determination as to exactly what happened in that house and/or rule them out as evidence in this case. That there is no proof they were even tested and no results is a problem, IMO.

Chanley, Former Miss Arkansas, @ Court TV is the quintessential Barbie. She stayed in the frosty area for weeks then took a sabbatical. I adored every coat, hat and scarf she wore. Chanley is an asset for CTV.

This video is an excellent visual aid. Thank you for reposting it for us, arielilane.

As you are an asset for WS, DeDee. Your avatar is Chef's Kiss and your posts indicate a wonderful individuality and are always tasteful. And kind.

IMO.

The way BK stared at female prosecutor was creepy JMOO

His stoic posture is in keeping with his demand for control. He is happy that he can hold this ambitious position over the case duration. He’s not giving any clues as to how he feels.

What does stand out though is his lack of pleading with the public for his innocence. Most would be very different if they were wrongly accused.

This is interesting because LE apparently did not run DNA on the 3 other unknown male DNA samples BEFORE making an arrest. I would think that running those tests and trying to identify who they were is investigation 101 basic kind of stuff. Those samples definitely should have been run to aid in making a determination as to exactly what happened in that house and/or rule them out as evidence in this case. That there is no proof they were even tested and no results is a problem, IMO.
Are we talking male DNA on the sheath that was untested, unidentified DNA at the crime scene, or in the house after all other male DNA was identified? It would make a difference if I was a juror.

His stoic posture is in keeping with his demand for control. He is happy that he can hold this ambitious position over the case duration. He’s not giving any clues as to how he feels.

What does stand out though is his lack of pleading with the public for his innocence. Most would be very different if they were wrongly accused.
Not true. In the US, you don't speak to anyone but your attorney about your case when accused of a crime.

So you think any male who had ever been in the house, even if their DNA was not directly linked to a crime, should be identified?

I'm not certain that's a good plan. I am assuming those 3 samples were from relevant areas of the house (bedrooms). And they did not match any of the known boyfriends (who surely submitted DNA for analysis). I can only imagine what a heydey the Defense would have if there are 3 college age young men suddenly pulled under suspicion for simply having been in the bedroom where a crime was committed.

That's why it's so exciting that they actually pulled the DNA from an object directly related to the MoD.

IMO. It saved reputational damage and a nightmarish existence for three young men. And also the deceased young women's lives would have been dragged through the mud, obviously.

Is it a problem though? I couldn't imagine how much unknown DNA was in that house. Parties by the then current tenants, tenants and acquaintances before them, and so on and so on. It made sense that they tested DNA found on the sheath of a knife found under two fatally stabbed victims. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech