4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it now looks like they said "Nissan" for 5 days, then (wrong year) Elantra for the remainder (after Nov 25 or thereabouts). I do wonder if Kohberger put the proper year on his paperwork for his parking permit at WSU (some people just guess, not having easy retrieval of car year).

I feel that once they had that Elantra from surveillance, they quickly zeroed in on Kohberger, over in Pullman and made sure the messaging in the pressers was geared to him - the one Elantra owner who wasn't coming forward. Maybe there were a couple not coming forward, but I bet most did come forward. Everyone was looking for it, so I am guessing WSU Campus Police got a few calls about Kohberger's and had him on their radar.

Since almost every police person has encountered "bad cops" who commit crimes (usually not murder, of course), when LE or LE-adjacent persons are on a list of suspects, I believe they get extra scrutiny.

IMO and IME.
If I had to guess, I’d speculate that BK was on the radar but put to the side initially because of the discrepancy between model years on the Elantra. In my experience, investigators may come across someone that causes a head tilt, but there’s a piece of exclusionary data that causes them to be disregarded. However, that person isn’t totally disregarded - they’re just put to the side because they own a very similar car and match the physical description, for instance. If his name comes up again in something, it then warrants going back and taking a second look as to why they were initially put to the side.

JMO

I have an impression of BK being eager to discuss the crime....

And yet, far as we know, he didn't self-report his Elantra.... which just happened to be in the area....

I wonder if this caused him any angst. How to play it. Lie low, protect his DNA at all cost, ride the wave out of town.... or call LE pre-emptively, ultra helpful PhD student. Yes, Officer, terrible what happened, just wanted to call so you can check off my Elantra. Why, yes, I was driving in that general area, had papers to correct, was looking for Thai food, always up for good Thai. Can't be much help, didn't see anything."

Yeah, he knew they were looking for his car. Knew he'd been caught on CCTV. Didn't know which location, what clarity... multiplied by the potential of his DNA on the sheath -- he quickly pivoted to protecting his DNA. Calling any attention to himself cross country, that couldn't have been his plan. I kind of wish one of those officers had asked for BK's driver's license and registration and -- only for effect -- promptly dropped them into evidence bags right in front of BK's wide eyes.

Sorry, BK, it's just near impossible to keep your DNA off everything.

Signed, Kbar Sheath.

JMO

Last edited:
You can find it on the MSM thread. And here is one of the many, many articles saying it's single source male:

That's the first of thousands of results.

Single source, once again, means "only one profile found." Source of DNA is always a living organism, no other way to make DNA.

Correct, and thank you for your reply. There was one single source DNA sample on the snap area.

However, do we know how many other areas of the sheath were swabbed ? Again, just curious. IMO.

Last edited:

And yet, far as we know, he didn't self-report his Elantra.... which just happened to be in the area....

I wonder if this caused him any angst. How to play it. Lie low, protect his DNA at all cost, head out..... or call LE pre-emptively, ultra helpful PhD student. Yes, Officer, terrible what happened, just wanted to call so you check off my Elantra. Why, yes, I was driving in that general area, had papers to correct, was looking for Thai food, always up for good Thai. Can't be much help, didn't see anything."

Yeah, he knew they were looking for his car. Knew he'd been caught on CCTV. Didn't know which location, what clarity... multiplied by the potential of his DNA on the sheath -- he quickly pivoted to protecting his DNA. Calling any attention to himself cross country, that couldn't have been his plan. I kind of wish one of those officers had asked for BK's driver's license and registration and -- only for effect -- promptly dropped them into evidence bags right in front of BK's wide eyes.

Signed, Kbar Sheath.

JMO
I think you're absolutely right! In the days leading up to the PCA being released I was sure that he had self identified, came forward and volunteered to help. I'm pretty sure I shared that here. Then after the PCA and seeing how reckless he was I changed my mind.

I like your explanation of him imagining he could be an insider, then oscillating only to realize that there was a good chance he was going to be caught if he didn't lay low.

I wonder if this caused him any angst. How to play it. Lie low, protect his DNA at all cost, head out..... or call LE pre-emptively, ultra helpful PhD student. Yes, Officer, terrible what happened, just wanted to call so you check off my Elantra. Why, yes, I was driving in that general area, had papers to correct, was looking for Thai food, always up for good Thai. Can't be much help, didn't see anything."

Signed, Kbar Sheath.

JMO
Thanks as always for the levity Megs, it is sorely needed in these emotional threads at times.

Signed, Kbar Sheath will go down as one of my all time favs. :)

I wondered if it was an editing error of some kind. I still don't remember seeing a Sentra mentioned in any official documents or by any LE to the public.
I think the only place I've ever seen it was the NYT article. It made me wonder if his source told him verbally Elantra and he heard Sentra. But the article goes on to say they changed to the Elantra so probably not.

What would matter to me, as a juror, is did they settle on the Elantra before getting the name from IGG. According to the article they did.

I think the only place I've ever seen it was the NYT article. It made me wonder if his source told him verbally Elantra and he heard Sentra. But the article goes on to say they changed to the Elantra so probably not.

What would matter to me, as a juror, is did they settle on the Elantra before getting the name from IGG. According to the article they did.
So narrowing it down to the approximately 2,000,000 Elantras in the United States...

So narrowing it down to the approximately 2,000,000 Elantras in the United States...

The point being that they did not suddenly decide the car on the video was an Elantra not a Sentra when they arrived at BK's name through IGG and found out he drove an Elantra, not a Sentra. They did not change the expert opinion to match the name. The name matched the expert opinion.

How many of those 2,000,000 Elantras were white, made between those years, belong to someone that fits the physical description of the suspect, and were in the area at the time? And then it turns out the owner also left their DNA at the crime scene on a knife sheath whose knife was used to commit the murder? They didn't arrest him because he had an Elantra. They arrested him because they have a bunch of evidence that shows he murdered four college students.

JMO

Narrowing it down to the number of white Elantras within a 25 mile radius of the crime scene to a registered male driver in the vicinity of a murder scene at approx 4 am. That should help narrow that number down significantly.

Narrowing it down to the number of white Elantras within a 25 mile radius of the crime scene to a registered male driver in the vicinity of a murder scene at approx 4 am. That should help narrow that number down significantly.
Not enough to get a warrant though, otherwise every white male owner of an Elantra within 25 miles would have had their shoulder tapped.

There wasn't. It hasn't appeared in any court filing either. That was my mistake.

The Sentra came out of the Times article. And separately, I believe the defense cited that LE had identified another car (without specifying make/model/year) at a totally different time early in the investigation. So I connected the dots assuming the Times' reporting is correct.

I just want to say again, that I am not putting forward or defending this position. This is just what they are saying. What I think about BK is pretty well established by now (those creepy eyes say it all, yikes).
Thank you. It would not surprise me if they are stretching the change in model year by saying "another car".

Well my goodness. Why stop there? If we go global, I'm sure we could double the number of potential suspects in the blink of an eye.

Correct, but they certainly wouldn't have been able to, for example, take the DNA of a driver of that car just because it's that type of car, or wiretap their home, intercept their mail etc.
Not "take" but they can ask for it. Years ago, there was a decades long unsolved homicide in my home town. At some point, LE went to every male who lived in the area during the time the murder was committed and met a certain physical profile and requested a voluntary DNA sample. They did not have warrants and I'm certain of that because one of the people who gave them a voluntary sample was my uncle. The case was later solved but all those voluntary DNA samples did was 100% eliminate people who probably were never serious suspects to begin with.

ETA example

Last edited:
Correct, but they certainly wouldn't have been able to, for example, take the DNA of a driver of that car just because it's that type of car, or wiretap their home, intercept their mail etc.
Correct, but they could have spoken with them and asked them their whereabouts on the night of the crime. I never mentioned taking DNA or wiretapping, etc.

I think most people being asked would volunteer any information to help solve such a gruesome crime; if they were innocent.

MOO

Correct, but they could have spoken with them and asked them their whereabouts on the night of the crime. I never mentioned taking DNA or wiretapping, etc.

I think most people being asked would volunteer any information to help solve such a gruesome crime; if they were innocent.

MOO
What I've seen suggested is that (paraphrasing) "IGG doesn't matter anyway because Elantra came first so they had him in their sights." <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
What I've seen suggested is that (paraphrasing) "IGG doesn't matter anyway because Elantra came first so they had him in their sights." <modsnip>
No, the IGG doesn't matter because they have an STR DNA match to BK in the odds of 5+ Octillion of it being anyone else other than BK found on the knife sheath underneath one of the 4 murdered victims.

IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, and thank you for your reply. There was one single source DNA sample on the snap area.

However, do we know how many other areas of the sheath were swabbed ? Again, just curious. IMO.
Have no links, except am posting Idaho state court page link at the end. Many of the D's requests for discovery and what is required to be exchanged in discovery can be found there.

Imo any blood on the sheath would have been swabbed and tested - producing dna profiles of one or both of the upstairs victims. Reports would be in discovery Imo. If other dna was found on the sheath or mixed with victim blood and it was also BK's I think it would have been mentioned at some point by the state - in the PCA for e.g jmo. If other unknown dna was swabbed from the sheath or mixed with victims' blood that was swabbed from the sheath, samples would've been extracted (by the lab) with reports in discovery Imo. Moo but this scenario only plays out if one is then to assume that LE didn't follow up in any way on this hypothetical other, unknown dna. And frankly we haven't heard a peep from the D about this hypothetical LE incompetence situation. And there is simply no basis to assume that hypothetical unknown dna on the sheath exists. Moo. I think we would have seen a motion by the D because the lab reports relating to extraction that were hypothetically not followed up on, would have been in discovery - just like the three unknown samples from the house/outside that we already know about (these were followed up on Imo- ie assessed and not qualified for CODIS) Moo

The non-dissemination order does not gag court procedure - we usually see what motions pertain to, just not the details of their content. We have, however, seen motions to compel by the D in which general content has been referred to. No motions have pertained to the above scenario. There just is no basis to assume unidentified dna was extracted from the sheath but not followed up by LE. Moo

@10ofRods has posted extensively in the past about the process that would be involved in dna extraction from deeper in the leather of the sheath and I really can't speak to what that process may involve. I do recall that it was said that the D could, if they wished, have the sheath tested themselves if that was what they wanted - and if so - it might reveal the dna of the bovine whose skin produced it and that such testing would destroy the leather partially. Moo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member