4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RBBM last sentence: It could either be that or alternately just completely normal investigative practice (if assuming Baker's information is correct) Moo. ie - what follows is my conjecture - a very normal process of narrowing down car model through analysis of video footage as it came in and was processed. Based on lack of any evidence to the contrary, I envisage professional people working with what they had, with that changing over the days - a working hypothesis - which is not (nor should be) set in concrete. At some early point one can conjecture (if the word sentra is not a typo for elantra) the analysis ruled out sentra and ruled in elantra as the model.Moo.

edited spelling
Exactly, they could have only had access to a few video images of the car at first that perhaps weren't the best quality. After collecting further video from different sources and different grades of quality, it would have been easier to narrow the models down.

It's not like the LE said they were looking for a person driving a yellow school bus, these cars and years models are very, very similar. Another stretch by the Defense (arms now 15 feet long imo).

MOO

[RSSBM for focus]

So after the crime we can assume that LE's reviewed all of the video that was available to them. We also have to assume that the Elantra was present in the initial review of the videos. Yet LE focused on another car, a white Nissan Sentra, for weeks.
RSBM for focus
And called the FBI expert back in to go on record with the Elantra because that's what BK owned.

If you're right...I think the Defense wants to know what made the Elantra less attractive (or even initially cleared), and the Nissan Sentra more attractive initially in the investigation. Is there another Elantra on video? Is there evidence that the crime was committed at a time where a white Elantra was on video elsewhere? Or maybe its' something that we don't know.
RBBM: It may have been a case of narrowing down the model from progressive analysis of video/surveilance footage. So not two cars necessarily but a progressive wholistic analysis of footage that eventually resulted in the identification of SV1 (suspect vehicle1).Moo. This would take some time, maybe a fallow day or two and the ability to be flexible as new information comes in. Moo

Yeah no standing because constitutional rights aren't vicarious, pretty straight-up by the looks of it. Interesting though the Justices went out of their way to say:

"But the legislature could adopt statutory restrictions and the companies that run consumer DNA databases could adopt policies limiting law enforcement access to genetic information in those databases without a warrant. Indeed, GEDmatch did just that in 2019 after the investigation at issue in this case."
DNA left at the scene of a crime has no presumption of anonymity. It is well within LE's right to run or compare that DNA to any databases that allow LE to search them.

Only 2 states have passed any restrictions regarding this: Maryland and Montana Effective Oct 1 2021.

<snipped>

GEDmatch, the preferred database of forensic genetic genealogists, and FamilyTreeDNA—both of which opt users into law enforcement searches by default—told The New York Times they have no plans to change their existing policies in response to the new regulations in Maryland and Montana.

Maryland, Montana Become First States to Restrict Genetic Genealogy Searches

I see a lot of folks here and other places speculating that maybe the sheath just happened to be touched by BK at some point and it was this other clever person that was really responsible. In order for that to happen, we're venturing on Scott Peterson levels of unluckiest-man-on-earth-style-coincidences that have police looking at his make and model of vehicle a week and a half after the murders, cell tower data puts him in the same area as the murders at the time of the murders, his description matches the eyewitness description, his DNA was left on a sheath that held the murder weapon... and those are just the more flagrant things. The folks that want to proclaim his innocence seem to focus only on one aspect of the case and ignore the other half dozen things that occurred simultaneously that would probably win a case without the one thing anyway.

"All they have is some touch DNA and touch DNA is notoriously unreliable!" is a common theme. I guess this means the defense is doing a pretty decent job at smoke and mirrors...

MOO
YES! It was single source DNA of BK's. There was no other DNA from anyone else located on the sheath, so the speculation that it might have been handled or passed around and then poor BK touched it at some point before it was left at the scene ain't gonna cut it. If the sources from the Dateline episode turn out to be true that BK purchased the knife and sheath that makes this argument even more preposterous.

We don't know for sure that was even touch DNA, it's been speculated but not confirmed by LE. It was located on the snap portion of the sheath which would be very hard for a person to casually leave it.

All of this aside, why in the heck would a sheath with BK's DNA on it be found partially underneath a murder victim to begin with? Well, because he was there that night and left it like the overconfident, pompous murderer that he is. Maybe his VSS (if true) will be his undoing. He didn't see that he'd left it, we know he was on hoofing it.

The totality of evidence against BK is going to find him guilty I have no doubt. Let Stretch Armstrong continue to reach. Her arms will be dragging the ground before this case is over, and yes, I know it's her job to vigorously defend BK as is his right, but this goes against basic logic.

ALL MOO

I didn’t say they were the same.

They’re similar enough to support my point:

1. The state fought tooth and nail to even consider other possible perpetrators even when DNA testing became available;
2. The state knowingly withheld evidence at the time of trial that could have cast doubt on the defence’s case.

Has the same ever happened to a white man SINCE DNA testing became available? Yes of course it has. This is about prosecutorial zeal, and that case simply proves that it’s possible.

This happens over and over in the US system that promotes the personal interests of prosecutors (need to be re-elected).
BBM - What evidence has the State withheld in this case against BK?

If I'm going to be tried in a Court of Law, you'd best believe I would pick these United States every day and twice on Sunday. Is is perfect? No judicial system is perfect because it is composed of human beings, not machines. Human error does happen, but I sure wouldn't role the dice anywhere else.

I also don't believe William (Bill) Thompson is running for reelection after this case. Perhaps he like so many others believes based on the evidence that Brian Kohberger did ruthlessly murder four innocent college students on Nov 13, 2022 and should receive the appropriate punishment.

ALL MOO

YES! It was single source DNA of BK's. There was no other DNA from anyone else located on the sheath, so the speculation that it might have been handled or passed around and then poor BK touched it at some point before it was left at the scene ain't gonna cut it. If the sources from the Dateline episode turn out to be true that BK purchased the knife and sheath that makes this argument even more preposterous.

We don't know for sure that was even touch DNA, it's been speculated but not confirmed by LE. It was located on the snap portion of the sheath which would be very hard for a person to casually leave it.

All of this aside, why in the heck would a sheath with BK's DNA on it be found partially underneath a murder victim to begin with? Well, because he was there that night and left it like the overconfident, pompous murderer that he is. Maybe his VSS (if true) will be his undoing. He didn't see that he'd left it, we know he was on hoofing it.

The totality of evidence against BK is going to find him guilty I have no doubt. Let Stretch Armstrong continue to reach. Her arms will be dragging the ground before this case is over, and yes, I know it's her job to vigorously defend BK as is his right, but this goes against basic logic.

ALL MOO

I don't think this bit is correct is it?

The single source of BK's DNA was under the snap of the sheath.

I assume there was other DNA on the sheath, albeit if the perpetrator had rigorously cleansed the sheath or even doused it in something and only taken it out inside the room it was found, then the only other acquired DNA would be from the victims themselves, their bedding, and possibly at a reach, other people who had shared the room / bedding.

Do we actually know for sure how many different DNAs were located on the sheath though?

I assume there was other DNA on the sheath, albeit if the perpetrator had rigorously cleansed the sheath or even doused it in something and only taken it out inside the room it was found, then the only other acquired DNA would be from the victims themselves, their bedding, and possibly at a reach, other people who had shared the room / bedding.

Do we actually know for sure how many different DNAs were located on the sheath though?

<snipped>
  • The DNA from the knife sheath came from a single male source, authorities have said. The new court filings shed light on how investigators got the initial DNA match that led them to Kohberger.
Idaho stabbing suspect's DNA a 'statistical match' to DNA on knife sheath at crime scene

None according to reports - "Single source male DNA"

<snipped>
  • The DNA from the knife sheath came from a single male source, authorities have said. The new court filings shed light on how investigators got the initial DNA match that led them to Kohberger.
Idaho stabbing suspect's DNA a 'statistical match' to DNA on knife sheath at crime scene

I think this may be open to different interpretations?
I interpret this to mean that the sample tested was single source, not that it was the only DNA found on the sheath. IMO.

I think this may be open to different interpretations?
I interpret this to mean that the sample tested was single source, not that it was the only DNA found on the sheath. IMO.
Is there any way of knowing who else's DNA was on it at this point? It must have had - at the very least - the victims' DNA on it, IMO.
Unknown DNA, the DNA of the victims would obviously be known. That's my interpretation.

I could be wrong but I think the idea of a white Sentra came from the New York Times article by Mike Baker. He wrote in that article that records show investigators in the early weeks were looking for a 2019-2023 Sentra. I've always wondered if there was some sort of confusion with Sentra and Elantra being similar in spelling and sound.
I wondered if it was an editing error of some kind. I still don't remember seeing a Sentra mentioned in any official documents or by any LE to the public.

This has been discussed before and it was suggested (by @10ofRods I believe) that there could easily have been (and probably was) blood on the sheath but that it would probably not have been tested because it couldn't have been tested without removing that portion of the leather. I suppose it's also possible that it was quite bloody, that they did test some of the DNA and it was all victim DNA. I doubt they would have put that in the PCA. MOOooo

The new court filings reveal that DNA from a swab of Kohberger's cheek has been directly tied to the DNA on the knife sheath.

"The comparison showed a statistical match – specifically, the (short tandem repeat) profile is at least 5.37 octillion times more likely to be seen if Defendant is the source (of the DNA) than if an unrelated individual randomly selected from the general population is the source," the filing said.

The DNA from the knife sheath came from a single male source, authorities have said.

I like to post this with a link when questions about IGG and DNA come up.

The State doesn't need IGG to tie BK to the DNA, he did that himself with the knife sheath.

Unknown DNA, the DNA of the victims would obviously be known. That's my interpretation.

OK, sounds like we are in agreement that there was also unknown DNA on the sheath. Thanks for your reply.

Editing to add— DNA that may not have been disclosed by the prosecutor?! ( not implying any misconduct, it’s all just part of the jousting that goes on in the discovery process, IMO) All IMO.

OK, sounds like we are in agreement that there was also unknown DNA on the sheath. Thanks for your reply.

Editing to add— DNA that may not have been disclosed by the prosecutor?! ( not implying any misconduct, it’s all just part of the jousting that goes on in the discovery process, IMO) All IMO.
I don't think that's what they meant. They meant the only "unknown" DNA on the sheath was single-source male DNA that turned out to be BK's. If there was DNA from the victim(s), it was not unknown, as it was able to be matched to the victim(s).

MOO

I don't think that's what they meant. They meant the only "unknown" DNA on the sheath was single-source male DNA that turned out to be BK's. If there was DNA from the victim(s), it was not unknown, as it was able to be matched to the victim(s).

MOO

OK, thanks for your reply. Do you possibly have a link that there was no other unknown DNA on the sheath? ( not trying to give you a hard time, I have just not seen that clarified in MSM) I am genuinely curious! IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove