4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #91

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That wouldn't work if the dog was in there, because if the perpetrator had been in that room, it would be considered part of the crime scene, and we know Murphy was not in the crime scene. If he was somewhere else in the home, fair enough.

MOO
If the dog was used to lots of random people being around at parties, he was probably desensitized and may not have made much of a fuss if someone came crawling out of the attic. Even if he did, DM said she thought she heard someone playing with the dog upstairs, and that could have been part of what was actually happening. He could have snuck in while Murphy was not there. I think I remember reading that Kaylee and Maddie were seen on video taking him for a walk after they got home from the Grub Truck. I could be misremembering though.

The police did not find any other DNA in the house besides the sheath that we know of, so who's to say he wasn't in that room and did not leave anything behind like in the rest of the house? Maybe they didn't even test that area.

All opinion and speculation on my part.

I think when it comes down to it, my main problem with the idea of him lying in wait in the home is the timeframe, which doesn't allow for him lurking in an attic space for hours. He was in and out in minutes; the phone and video data tells us that.

MOO

I think when it comes down to it, my main problem with the idea of him lying in wait in the home is the timeframe, which doesn't allow for him lurking in an attic space for hours. He was in and out in minutes; the phone and video data tells us that.

MOO
That is assuming that it was actually BK's car in the video, and that the timeline happened exactly as the police postulate. It could be someone else entirely, in which case the phone data and car videos would be irrelevant.

I was initially concerned about the house being torn down, that it could impact the case against BK in some way. Bill Thompson explained why it has no bearing on the case-it is so changed from that night that he is of the belief that a jury walk-through would never be permitted. I can understand that. I don’t think it’s dangerous asbestos, just that either the prosecution or the defense would object to it because the house no longer can be viewed as an accurate depiction of that night. Simulations would most likely be closer to the house.

edited by me for focus:

The police did not find any other DNA in the house besides the sheath that we know of, so who's to say he wasn't in that room and did not leave anything behind like in the rest of the house? Maybe they didn't even test that area.

All opinion and speculation on my part.
"
Court documents, filed by attorneys for the 28-year-old PhD student last week, argue that DNA from two other men was also found inside the off-campus student home in Moscow, Idaho.

DNA from a third unknown man was also found on a glove found outside the property on 20 November – one week on from the murders, the documents state.

“By December 17, 2022, lab analysts were aware of two additional males’ DNA within the house where the deceased were located and another unknown male DNA on a glove found outside the residence on November 20, 2022,” Mr Kohberger’s attorney Jay Logsdon writes in the filing."

JMO.

Ya. I'm not saying that DM was naive to what was going on the entire time. I'm saying that she was trying to rationalize what she heard vs what she knew/expected. Leading to denial / shock. Your roommates being murdered is just not something you'd ever imagine happening. Thats not based on any professional opinion of course. Just from putting myself in her shoes.

MOO

For 2 years I lived in a off-campus home at a major east coast university (30k-40k students) with 4 other guys.

Our house's proximity to downtown made it a popular pre-game and/or after hours spot. Our only rule was that on weekdays we weren't allowed to bring anyone back with us.

On the nights that I would stay in I was fully prepared to be awoken at 2am by sounds.

There was a rhythm and familiarity with it all...

Weekday? I'll assume it's a clumsy drunken roommate going to the bathroom or eating. I might be annoyed but I'm going to fall back asleep almost immediately.

Weekends? If there's more than one voice and I'm not completely annoyed then I'm probably going to listen for who they might have brought back. Is it his ex? Is it that person I don't like? Is it a new girl? Does the voice sound familiar? Is this FOMO setting in? Should I get up and get out of bed? Somtimes I would go to the bathroom and pass by complete strangers. One time one of those times a complete strangers punched 3 holes into our walls before we threw him out.

The vast majority of the time I would never utter a word or leave my room and eventually fall back to sleep. Never feared for my life. This was all totally normal to me/us.

If i was laying in the bed at 2:30am awoken by sounds. And you asked me to create a list of 1-100000 possible things going on in the house at that moment. Murder wouldn't be on it. As I'm rationalizing every subsequent sound "wait..that doesn't sound right but could be..." that list would probably change.

MOO

Quick Edit: Just to add. On the rare weekend friday or saturday that I wouldn't go out, I would often lock my door. Because I knew a drunk roommate or a mutual friend who came back with them would likely drunkenly pop in. "Why didn't you come out tonight!?" or "Get up and come hang out with us!" or "You better be coming out tomorrow!"

great post.

I truly wish that tearing down the house and a conviction will ease the families’ pain but it won’t.

ALL MOO
I hope that the conviction will ease the families' pain somewhat. I doubt there will be 100% easing. In fact, I don't want to put a number on it at all. But I believe that some easing is possible. And I believe a conviction will help.

The Chapin family seem to think that the pain of the remaining siblings will be eased going forward once the house is demolished (which it is, but Idk if all the rubble etc has been cleared). I respect their thoughts and feelings on this. IMO they know better than any of us bystanders, whatever our personal experience with grief might be, what is best for them and their family.

MOO

This hearing will be open to the public?!
Yes and No

From the order setting hearings:
... the Court orders the following:
1) hearing on Defendant’s Motion to Reconsider Orders Denying Motions to DismissIndictment and in the Alternative for Permission to Appeal from lnterlocutory Orders andStay of Proceedings will be heard on January 26, 2024. Beginning at 11:00 a.m. PT theCourt will hear argument pertainingto the Sealed Order Denying Motion to DismissIndictment on Grounds of Biased Grand Jury, Inadmissible Evidence, Lack of SufficientEvidence, and Prosecutorial Misconduct. This hearing will be sealed and closed to thepublicto protectthe privacy of the grand jurors and the grand jury’s procedures.

At 1:00p.m. PT the Court will hear argument pertaining to the Order Denying Motion to DismissIndictment for Inaccurate Instructions to Grand Jury. This hearing will be open to the public.The public and the media may attend in person or can watch the live stream feed of theproceedingsfound at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAOFervtre9HRSzhY-zhCA.

2) A scheduling conference will begin following the conclusion of arguments on Defendant’s Motion. The scheduling conference will be open to the public and live streamed on the Court’sYouTube channel at the link above

"Idaho murder house is no more:

Harrowing aerial images show fully demolished home where four students were slaughtered.

1703886741979.png

"It only took 90 minutes for Idaho's most infamous building to come crashing down.
The clapboard house at 1122 King Road offered no resistance as a red Hitachi digger moved in before dawn.
And by 8am its work was done."

<modsnip - snipped for 10% copyright rule>

1703886940338.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at photos of the house and wondered what is the thing on the wall close to the entry doors in DM's bedroom and the one lowest level bedroom closest to the entry door?

Do you mean the thing that's at about shoulder level? It's a light switch. That's picture 1.

Are you referring to pictures 1 and 2? It would be helpful if we knew which photos you were referring to. If you mean picture 16 in addition, that's a utility panel. If you mean picture 20, that's a light switch (but with a dimmer, looks like to me).

Do you mean the thing that's at about shoulder level? It's a light switch. That's picture 1.

Are you referring to pictures 1 and 2? It would be helpful if we knew which photos you were referring to. If you mean picture 16 in addition, that's a utility panel. If you mean picture 20, that's a light switch (but with a dimmer, looks like to me).
I edited my post, pictures 14 and 20, near floor right above base trim.

The PCA only indicates that Murphy was found in another room and nothing more. There has been no indication that Murphy was crated or barking and crying, even in neighbour interviews after the murder.

In my opinion, comments like this shift a certain amount of responsiblity/blame back on the survivours and there is insufficient public information about who/what woke them up and what time that happened and that void has been quite harmful for their reputations.

I am coming to the conclusion that we don't know the motive nor anything else. We may never know, but as a case to learn from, still shocking after the whole year, it would be important to understand how it was planned, who was the chosen victim, etc. If the perp was stalking MM, I can't imagine how he could not notice the presence of another person who came with a dog.

A lot depends on the personality of the dog. Murphy was a labradoodle if I am not mistaken. From what I have read, this breed is not too vocal and can be left to itself for up to 8 hours. At the same time, they are prone to separation anxiety and at such time, would not only bark but howl.

The survivors are witnesses. However, I can't understand how the whole neighborhood, besides them, didn't hear the scared animal. Even if Murphy is so sanguine that she didn't understand what was happening to KG - she'd feel the smell, sooner than any human.

I hope we'll get some answers during the trial.

I was initially concerned about the house being torn down, that it could impact the case against BK in some way. Bill Thompson explained why it has no bearing on the case-it is so changed from that night that he is of the belief that a jury walk-through would never be permitted. I can understand that. I don’t think it’s dangerous asbestos, just that either the prosecution or the defense would object to it because the house no longer can be viewed as an accurate depiction of that night. Simulations would most likely be closer to the house.

A Moscow jury will likely be shown 3D imaging of the home where 4 UI students were killed. Here’s how it works​

That is assuming that it was actually BK's car in the video, and that the timeline happened exactly as the police postulate. It could be someone else entirely, in which case the phone data and car videos would be irrelevant.
True. But if this really isn't BK then it sure is a pretty big coincidence that BK says he was driving around that area all night and doesn't know where he even was at 4:00am - 4:30am.

If someone else did it I believe BK would have an alibi, such as having been in his apartment at 4:00am. His admitting he was driving around that area is the same as letting the jury know he would have easily been able to stop at the King Rd house.

I find his non-alibi to be extremely compromising to his defense. Note the defense did yet again file a Motion to get the case overturned. Want judge to reconsider, etc.....Because how do you defend him?

2 Cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member