4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A broader search on Mr. Ray has provided me with perplexing results and no clear idea of how many trials he's actually testified in. There's apparently one in Montana. Here's a bit of marketing for ZetX:
RSBM

I looked for that, too, without much luck. Newsweek says...

"Sy Ray, founder of ZetX Corporation, is a former police officer who specializes in analyzing cell phone data in criminal cases. He has been called as a witness in numerous criminal trials in an attempt to show that a person's cell phone could have been in a particular area."

But that doesn't tell us much. Did his testimony lead to convictions? Acquittals?

If this story from Yahoo is accurate, Ray has testified in 100s of trials. This is the first I've heard of him, though.

"It wouldn’t be the first time that Sy Ray has been asked to be an expert witness in a high-profile murder trial, although he said Friday that, out of the more than 100 times he’s testified in state and federal cases, it has typically been for the prosecution."

If this story from Yahoo is accurate, Ray has testified in 100s of trials. This is the first I've heard of him, though.

"It wouldn’t be the first time that Sy Ray has been asked to be an expert witness in a high-profile murder trial, although he said Friday that, out of the more than 100 times he’s testified in state and federal cases, it has typically been for the prosecution."

Why do I get the feeling that if Sy had been asked, he could testify for the prosecution in this case, finding cell markers to put BK in driving distance of King Rd?

But the defense asked him so he is looking for cell markers to fit the defense narrative that BK wasn't in driving distance of King Rd.

This is what happens with murky science open to interpretation.

2 Cents

I want to preface this post with IANAL, and the following is MOO as a case follower since day one:

I really don’t know what or who to believe in the failings of the 11th in the 1st attempt at prosecution of BM. On one hand we have LS, elected into office by district voters that didn’t have previous experience prosecuting homicide cases, and a member of her staff Jeff Lindsey who was/is experienced in prosecuting homicide cases, seeming word against each other. I do believe the 11th JD were understaffed and overwhelmed with the voluminous evidence and complexities of this high profile case and Lindsey eventually left mid case, sometime during the Preliminary Hearings decided to jump ship. We must remember too, that they are a small district and working on other cases at the time as well AND that this was also during the height of the COVID pandemic when judiciaries across the country were having to deal with all sorts of hold/ups and delays.

Fast forward to present day, we are hearing from Lindsey that he attempted to voice his concerns to LS about the workload and being overwhelmed/overworked and felt he wasn’t being heard/his concerns fell on LS deaf ears.
And LS says she didn’t find it necessary to assign a lead prosecutor because they (Lindsey and other staff on the team) knew what their jobs were.
I also remember LS having made a statement shortly after Lindsey jumped ship something to the effect that she wished he said something before leaving so they could’ve worked on it/worked it out.
So whom to believe? Idk.

At any rate, what is clear to me is balls were definitely dropped in the 11th JD during the 1st attempt at prosecution of BM. I believe this was partly due to the 11th JD office being overwhelmed while working on this complex high profile case and working on other cases in the district as well.

Having said all that I’ve personally concluded that more than one person/DA/attorney in that office was responsible for the 1st attempts missteps, a group effort so to speak, but at the end of the day, LS as the DA/head of the office should have been aware and on top of seeing to it that certain things were done and followed up on in such an important high profile case as this one is, especially. I don’t have the answers as to why it appears she didn’t nip things in the bud so to speak but I do suspect politics and possible personality conflicts and different work ethics came into play as well. Basically, putting it in a nutshell, the 11th had the right man and they botched it.

For me, sad and unfortunate as it all is, it’s in the past and chips will now fall where they may after OARC rules.

No matter what happened in the 11th in the past or what the OARC eventually rules, none of it changes the voluminous mountains of evidence against BM, and I’ll continue to wait patiently for his rearrest/recharged and for a new prosecution team to bring him down once and for all.

Again, MOO.

#JusticeForSuzanne

I just wish I knew of more than two of those cases (and in one of the cases, in CO, where he was put on the list, the Court did allow him to testify.). I'd like to know if this means "actual testimony on the stand," or affidavits and other documents or just being put on the witness list.

So odd there are no details on either of his two websites. Maybe he has agreed not to give information about it - but then, where is Yahoo/Newsweek getting its facts?

Also, none of the articles say he testified as a cell data expert. I can find some trials where he testified in his role as police officer. Are they in that count? I would imagine they are.

Anyway, this is a situation to watch over the next year. Very interesting.

IMO.

He testified to his credentials in the last hearing.
Somewhere near 100 cases as an expert witness in both State and Federal cases.
His career started in 1995 and lead him to his current work of consulting.
The aftermath of the CO case was interesting especially what CO LE said about that case and the steps/instructions they gave to their agencies which continued using the program afterwards. JMO

47:44 SR goes through his extensive history all the way up to the point he sold his company and beyond.
58:03 At some point all of the federal agencies have used his product in their training
58:52 Thousands and thousands of hours looking at phone records (consulting)
59:22 Testifying as an expert: roughly 100 times in both State and Federal

I was able to find his cases, just go to his current company
I haven't done it, but you can get the names and then probably look them up in court records in whatever State they happened in.

JMO

I can't find a list of cases at his current company's address, but will keep looking. I have two current businesses for him - one is a podcast, the other is some kind of tech company, but it has a very low web presence.

If his cases start in 1995, he's still employed as a police officer and that testifying as an expert witness would have been as an LEO, not a tech expert with a special algorithm that can re-analyze cell data. That comes later. He doesn't leave public employment until 2014. So I assume that, as with any LEO, he did plenty of testifying (in traffic cases, criminal cases, etc) for the 19 years of his employment. I have never seen an active LEO allowed to be an expert witness outside of LE, and unless they are the local expert on technology, they don't testify on tech (I believe he did become the local expert on tech - but that doesn't make him a statewide or national expert). That's why I'm curious about his career path. I don't see anywhere on his LinkedIn where he claims he had 100's of tech related consulting positions.

On his LinkedIn, he states that his expert testimony consulting started in 2014 and lasted until 2021. He also does training of LE on basic digital investigation - which he did throughout that period and apparently still does.

I did find his new company. He left ZetX (where one of his jobs was as an expert for court) and went to LexisNexis Risk Solutions (a risk management company) He does not list his job role there, but says he works remotely. And then, there's his podcast (and he has been on another podcast in the past month - speaking about the Kohberger case, which is interesting).

IMO.

IMO I think E/X got a ride from the frat house via JK and that was the $6 Venmo transaction EC had to JK at 11:40pm. JK was a freshman in the fraternity and was probably on sober ride duty for the fraternity that night. So, I don't think the Uber records have anything to do with JK or E/X going home that night. I think they are related to something else.
And I think I read BF did not have a car, at least not at 1122.

Do you remember? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but at the time BK was arrested, it was reported (I think) that he asked if he was the only one arrested.
Brian Entin reported it but no confirmation if it was said for sure.
What if there was someone else involved? Someone who drove the phone around while BK did the killing?
Driving BK's phone around seems awfully farfetched, especially if BK left the house earlier in the evening as AT said. To me, a more logical explanation is that he was simply out of range of the cell towers in Pullman and Moscow.
I don't think that happened, but I thought it was an odd comment for BK to make when he was arrested unless someone else was involved. Then, after a while, I just put it down to nervousness.

Your post brought that back to me, but I can't swear it's the truth. It could have been misreported.
IMO IF BK did ask that, he might have been thinking about his dad since they drove back from Washington together.

All JMO.

FWIW What are your thoughts on the possibility that BK left the sheath behind intentionally?

Some have suggested that he left it on purpose and I've been wondering about that. I've always thought that only certain types of SKs leave calling cards or taunt LE, insert themselves etc. Aside from leaving the sheath behind, there are the comments/accounts suspected to have been made by BK after the fact. I'm also wondering about BKs initial "cooperation" when he was talking to LE without a lawyer. Could that also be seen as a way of involving himself? Framing it as if he's assisting LE, possibly getting a thrill out of it? (taunting, thinking he's outsmarted them etc)

JMO/IMO/MOO.
I definitely think he left the sheath deliberately. A calling card as it were Where it was found convinces me: seems as though it was “ placed” in the spot it was found. However, I don’t think BK wanted his DNA found on it.

Brian Entin reported it but no confirmation if it was said for sure.

Driving BK's phone around seems awfully farfetched, especially if BK left the house earlier in the evening as AT said. To me, a more logical explanation is that he was simply out of range of the cell towers in Pullman and Moscow.

IMO IF BK did ask that, he might have been thinking about his dad since they drove back from Washington together.

All JMO.
FWIW , I think Dad K knows what happened because BK confessed to him at some point on the drive back to PA.

I can't find a list of cases at his current company's address, but will keep looking. I have two current businesses for him - one is a podcast, the other is some kind of tech company, but it has a very low web presence.

If his cases start in 1995, he's still employed as a police officer and that testifying as an expert witness would have been as an LEO, not a tech expert with a special algorithm that can re-analyze cell data. That comes later. He doesn't leave public employment until 2014. So I assume that, as with any LEO, he did plenty of testifying (in traffic cases, criminal cases, etc) for the 19 years of his employment. I have never seen an active LEO allowed to be an expert witness outside of LE, and unless they are the local expert on technology, they don't testify on tech (I believe he did become the local expert on tech - but that doesn't make him a statewide or national expert). That's why I'm curious about his career path. I don't see anywhere on his LinkedIn where he claims he had 100's of tech related consulting positions.

On his LinkedIn, he states that his expert testimony consulting started in 2014 and lasted until 2021. He also does training of LE on basic digital investigation - which he did throughout that period and apparently still does.

I did find his new company. He left ZetX (where one of his jobs was as an expert for court) and went to LexisNexis Risk Solutions (a risk management company) He does not list his job role there, but says he works remotely. And then, there's his podcast (and he has been on another podcast in the past month - speaking about the Kohberger case, which is interesting).

IMO.
He didn't leave ZetX, he sold ZetX to LexisNexis in 2021. He was the founder and owner of ZetX from 2014 to 2021.

I wonder whether Sy might have said, if pressed, that he did most of his testifying as LE.... ergo, for the Prosecution.

JMO

IMO.
IMO he describes his entire career path in his testimony.
He has testified US State/Federal cases and internationally.
His testimony stated his hours of tech related work and the year he started working strictly cell analysis, then building his company, training, consulting.
He did basic and certified expert training per his testimony.
He consulted with Rohde and Schwarz in 2021 for a year (Cell Site Simulator).
He still does consulting work on cases.

59:19:
AT Have you testified as an expert in this field?
SR I have, If it is not 100 times it is right there near it. Roughly 100 times in both State and Federal cases.

She was establishing that he was an expert in the field that he was going to be testifying about and that he has testified as an expert in this field before. JMO

The podcast you mentioned covers cases he has worked on.
@Balthazar mentioned one case Pagniano.
G search for SR testimony: brings up a couple cases. Weld County and Steuben County.
Although it was interesting, SR did not talk about the BK case in the appearance you mentioned.
JMO
edit sp

Last edited:
And I think I read BF did not have a car, at least not at 1122.
I agree. The 5 vehicles that were towed from in front of the house belonged to MM, KG (Range Rover), XK, EC (red Jeep) and EC's sister (Black Explorer.) That leaves the white sedan and blue sedan - not sure which belonged to MM and which belonged to XK. What I do know is that LE did not remove the vehicles from in front of 1122 King Rd until Nov. 30, 2022, which, IMO, was not the correct way to handle these vehicles.

So I rolled my eyes when I saw Howard Blum's book is coming out June 25.

And then I saw this and just boggled: his book is being made into a scripted TV series. I'm kind scared to think if that means like the horrible Murdaugh TV movie or not. *shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway