4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I rolled my eyes when I saw Howard Blum's book is coming out June 25.

And then I saw this and just boggled: his book is being made into a scripted TV series. I'm kind scared to think if that means like the horrible Murdaugh TV movie or not. *shudder*

Who is Howard Blum and why is writing a book about a murder where the defendant hasn't even gone to trial yet. Ridiculous

Where was BK when he asked police if anyone else was arrested besides him? I thought it was when BK was arrested that he asked them this, and I thought he was arrested at his parents' house. So if that's true, then why would he have been talking about his dad when he asked if anyone else had been arrested, when he was right there with his dad at their house? Wouldn't he have known if his dad had also been arrested for this crime? I just can't see that he would have had his dad in mind when he asked about anyone else being arrested.

Who is Howard Blum and why is writing a book about a murder where the defendant hasn't even gone to trial yet. Ridiculous
$$$$$

He's a true crime writer. Only book of his I've read was historical true crime about the LA Times bombing, it was kind of a mess. I think he was trying to make it like Devil in the White City but with silver screen cinema, unions, and Clarence Darrow rather than the World's Fair and HH Holmes. It didn't really work.

It is entirely possible to write a book before trial - When The Moon Turns to Blood is excellent - but you have to craft the story in the right way for it to feel like not a letdown.

MOO

$$$$$

He's a true crime writer. Only book of his I've read was historical true crime about the LA Times bombing, it was kind of a mess. I think he was trying to make it like Devil in the White City but with silver screen cinema, unions, and Clarence Darrow rather than the World's Fair and HH Holmes. It didn't really work.

It is entirely possible to write a book before trial - When The Moon Turns to Blood is excellent - but you have to craft the story in the right way for it to feel like not a letdown.

MOO

All "True" Crime books should be historical unless the author wants to put them into fantasyland, which seems to be his unauthentic style. Greatly dislike his character(s). If he wanted to borrow from the scenarios, then he should change the title/names and remove himself from the Idaho4. JMOO

Where was BK when he asked police if anyone else was arrested besides him? I thought it was when BK was arrested that he asked them this, and I thought he was arrested at his parents' house. So if that's true, then why would he have been talking about his dad when he asked if anyone else had been arrested, when he was right there with his dad at their house? Wouldn't he have known if his dad had also been arrested for this crime? I just can't see that he would have had his dad in mind when he asked about anyone else being arrested.

Bryan talked to police after he was arrested.

“He’s calm. He’s fully aware. It’s obvious he’s very intelligent… He already has a Master’s. It shouldn’t shock anyone that he’s intelligent,” said Jason LaBar, chief public defender for Monroe County.

LaBar told Law&Crime’s Angenette Levy that Kohberger spoke with law enforcement for five to 15 minutes at the Pennsylvania State Police barracks following his arrest early last Friday morning.

Initially, Kohberger waived his Miranda rights but then requested an attorney. LaBar said Kohberger told him that police asked his client if he understood what was going on, and he responded by saying something to the effect of “yes, certainly I’m aware of what’s going on. I’m 10 miles away from this.” Then, LaBar said, Kohberger invoked his right to counsel and asked for an attorney.

On Twitter a non-law enforcement person not working on the case said that Bryan asked if "anyone else was arrested." When Newsweek reported on this they said they were never able to verify that BK even asked this. If he asked this it is not because he has an accomplice, the Moscow Police Chief made it clear.

A 28-year-old graduate student arrested in connection with the murders of four University of Idaho students is believed to be the only suspect in the high-profile case, authorities said.

"We believe we have our guy, the one that committed these murders," Moscow Police Chief James Fry told ABC News Saturday. Fry said he does not anticipate additional arrests in connection with the murders.

A white Hyundai Elantra spotted near the victims' house around the time of the crime is believed to be Kohberger's and they do not believe anyone was with Kohberger in the car, Fry said.

[/URL]

This may have been talked about already. With what information we have why would LE make the statement that no need to worry it was a targeted thing. MOO I can’t make that along with numerous other things make sense.

Why do I get the feeling that if Sy had been asked, he could testify for the prosecution in this case, finding cell markers to put BK in driving distance of King Rd?

But the defense asked him so he is looking for cell markers to fit the defense narrative that BK wasn't in driving distance of King Rd.

This is what happens with murky science open to interpretation.

2 Cents
Agreed, and this quote from SR gave me just that "vibe": “Because of the inaccuracy and missing data these are helpful for Mr. Kohberger. There are things I would have said to help the MPD if I were involved, like if we don't get those documents, it’s going to be harmful for the state, but now it’s helpful for Mr. Kohberger.”

This may have been talked about already. With what information we have why would LE make the statement that no need to worry it was a targeted thing. MOO I can’t make that along with numerous other things make sense.

The interpretation all depends on what you believe about the case.

If you believe he did it, no question about it, then that can be interpreted as either the crime scene was so violent that it had to personal or that they said it because he left two witnesses alive. LE's motivation for releasing that was to calm a panicked college community and their parents.

If you believe there are still questions as to whether or not he did it, it can be interpreted as a rush to judgment on the part of LE who jumped to conclusions based on very little information, then irresponsibly spread what they wanted to believe far and wide to calm panic.

If you're on the fence and think he probably did it, but the case is full of questions or holes, then it's confusing and you could probably interpret it either way. In this case, I'd say we won't know until trial what made them think that and broadcast it so early in the investigation.

MOO.

Agreed, and this quote from SR gave me just that "vibe": “Because of the inaccuracy and missing data these are helpful for Mr. Kohberger. There are things I would have said to help the MPD if I were involved, like if we don't get those documents, it’s going to be harmful for the state, but now it’s helpful for Mr. Kohberger.”

Makes no sense.

Allegedly, BK asked this at the police station, not at his parents home. But there is 0 proof he ever said it and Brian Entin is the only person who reported that. Entin has been wrong before.

All JMO.

Where was BK when he asked police if anyone else was arrested besides him? I thought it was when BK was arrested that he asked them this, and I thought he was arrested at his parents' house. So if that's true, then why would he have been talking about his dad when he asked if anyone else had been arrested, when he was right there with his dad at their house?
I don't think he was 'right there with his Dad' when SWAT stormed the premises. His parents were asleep
Wouldn't he have known if his dad had also been arrested for this crime? I just can't see that he would have had his dad in mind when he asked about anyone else being arrested.
I don't think he would know at that moment whether his father was taken in as well. Reportedly, BK was alone in the kitchen area when the SWAT team breeched the entries. There would have been armed officers in the faces of every family member and they would not have been brought into the same immediate area as BK was being held in.

The very first thing LE would have done is se each other before they were formally interviewed. IMO, BK would have no idea where his father was or if his father was being questioned as a potential accomplice or as an innocent but shocked father. JMO

$$$$$

MOO
At this point, IMO there is no story: BK has been arrested and jailed. some story. You couldn't pay me to read a book about a murder, where the alleged murderer hasn't gone to trial: the entire story has not been told--I don't get it

At this point, IMO there is no story: BK has been arrested and jailed. some story. You couldn't pay me to read a book about a murder, where the alleged murderer hasn't gone to trial: the entire story has not been told--I don't get it
As I said, there are some great books written about cases pretrial. There are some excellent books written about cold cases, too!

Whether Blum is up to the challenge of writing a pretrial book well remains to be seen.

MOO

My personal opinion of HB is that he is writing this book for money and attention. From what I've read of his on this case so far, which has been very little, it's overreaching and sensationalized. He writes about the feelings of BK during the killings in his new book, ummm no that's unfounded supposition and creepy unless he talked to BK in jail, which we know didn't happen. I also didn't know cars tiptoed in the darkness. ;)

As closely guarded as information has been on this case, he's making more than quite a few fantastical assumptions. Unfortunately, blood and murder sells, and at 80, HB might need one last infusion of cash.

I know it's inevitable that people will write this stuff, but it's painful to so many involved and shows total disregard to the victims, the survivors, the families, and the community to do it before the true facts are known.

All JMO.

The interpretation all depends on what you believe about the case.

If you believe he did it, no question about it, then that can be interpreted as either the crime scene was so violent that it had to personal or that they said it because he left two witnesses alive. LE's motivation for releasing that was to calm a panicked college community and their parents.

If you believe there are still questions as to whether or not he did it, it can be interpreted as a rush to judgment on the part of LE who jumped to conclusions based on very little information, then irresponsibly spread what they wanted to believe far and wide to calm panic.

If you're on the fence and think he probably did it, but the case is full of questions or holes, then it's confusing and you unless the town ran out of pretty young girls could probably interpret it either way. In this case, I'd say we won't know until trial what made them think that and broadcast it so early in the investigation.

MOO.
It certainly wouldn’t calm me in the slightest to know a fixated murderer slaughtered girls he had targeted in the community. Once done with them, and they are gone, I’d assume he would become fixated on a subsequent attractive coed and go after her. I don’t know why the police said not to worry because it was targeted unless the town had no pretty young girls left standing.

I don't think he was 'right there with his Dad' when SWAT stormed the premises. His parents were asleep

I don't think he would know at that moment whether his father was taken in as well. Reportedly, BK was alone in the kitchen area when the SWAT team breeched the entries. There would have been armed officers in the faces of every family member and they would not have been brought into the same immediate area as BK was being held in.

The very first thing LE would have done is se each other before they were formally interviewed. IMO, BK would have no idea where his father was or if his father was being questioned as a potential accomplice or as an innocent but shocked father. JMO
I'm going to have to say this is MOO because I can't find the link after searching last night for over an hour. What I read was that a friend of Michael Kohberger's stated that the dad told him that after BK was arrested, he overheard Bryan mutter "they made me do this". MK didn;t know who the "they" was. So BK's father was in somewhat of a close proximity to hear this.
But here I'll veer off course to say that the bigger issue is, who is the "they"? The parents who maybe didn't get BK the psychological counseling he may have thought he needed? The victims themselves? Law enforcement for not hiring him for the job he thought he was qualified for? The school for not acknowledging his brilliance, especially if BK DID lose his TA position? I've also read that BK would blame others for his issues, wouldn't take responsibility for his own mistakes. IMO.

My personal opinion of HB is that he is writing this book for money and attention. From what I've read of his on this case so far, which has been very little, it's overreaching and sensationalized. He writes about the feelings of BK during the killings in his new book, ummm no that's unfounded supposition and creepy unless he talked to BK in jail, which we know didn't happen. I also didn't know cars tiptoed in the darkness. ;)

As closely guarded as information has been on this case, he's making more than quite a few fantastical assumptions. Unfortunately, blood and murder sells, and at 80, HB might need one last infusion of cash.

I know it's inevitable that people will write this stuff, but it's painful to so many involved and shows total disregard to the victims, the survivors, the families, and the community to do it before the true facts are known.

All JMO.
I loathe his writing and find it hard to fathom how anybody can take what he says as factual. Insensitive is a nice way of putting it: I believe his stuff has upset and offended both the Chapins and Goncalves. He needs the cash or wants the cash but either way to me he's just a mercenary not to mention source of mis information for those who take him seriously imoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway