4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also, those with continuous migraine visual aura symptoms (AKA scintillating scotoma) don't have to experience migraines. I know because I'm one of them. I only get the light show. Sorry to hear that your partner experiences the migraine part of the scotoma. :(
I've had both. Went to see an Opthamologist because I was so freaked out when I experienced the light show. I get bad Migraines. Was told that it can be a precurser for Migraines.

Is it known what VSS is exactly, physiologically? I mean, is it a problem in the brain or in the eyes or something else? IIUC, it manifests as a vision problem, like seeing static or dots or SNOW (hence the name), but are there other common physical symptoms? I suppose they don't know what causes it? How common is it? Could you have it and not know it?
It's not an eye problem- I went to see an Opthamologist for it.

LE had video of a white car in the neighborhood. The fbi expert identified a 2011-13 Elantra. There was something he/his identification program saw that indicated a 2011-13 Elantra. He expanded the years (still and Elantra) at a later unknown date for an unknown reason.

JL did mentioned an identification of a car on Ridge Road in the Objection to States motion for protective order:

A report from an analyst for the FBI dated March 21, 2023 shows the analyst heavily relying on a video of a car heading in the wrong direction and at the wrong time on Ridge Rd.

JMO

edited by me for focus:
I'm puzzled over the multiple traffic cameras he would have passed through if he took the route alleged by police in both Washington and Idaho where there is no photo of his car at all.
Mapping South of Moscow and back to Pullman.

27:13
AT: So you did this on some open source mapping, not anything on NB creating a visual for you?

27:23
BP: No Maam. I did view a draft report from SA B to help me conceptualize this, but it did not look like this map.

From SRs testimony: 80% of the CDRs were not plotted.
Twenty percent of the CDRs and a draft report were used to conceptualize a map, created using open source mapping (power point), of a possible route.

There is no video of the Elantra exiting the neighborhood, on any route.
There is no video of an Elantra on BPs conceptualized possible route map.

JMO

If we are going by his Tapatalk posts, he does have it. He saw ophthalmologists, psychiatrists, had imaging done of blood vessels in/around his eyes, was tested for migraines, etc. At the time he was posting about this (2009-2012), it was really hard to get a diagnosis of VSS. It's not something most GPs or ophthalmologists were well versed in, and many still aren't. My 22 yo son was diagnosed with it in 2019--and that was only after going to the psychiatrist, GP, ophthalmologist, neurologist, having a MRI, tons of blood work, and finally getting a referral to a neuro-ophthalmologist at a major teaching hospital where she did a ton of tests. There really are no tests to confirm VSS--it's more a matter of testing to eliminate other possibilities...which is why it's often not diagnosed. The medications he mentions and the effects they had are all in line with VSS. The mental health effects he mentions such as disassociation/depersonalization/derealization can be quite common with VSS. Personally, I don't doubt that he has it. It's certainly not an excuse for his behavior, but given how for some people VSS has some very strong ties to mental health issues (if the VSS wasn't caused by LSD or marijuana use), it can help give us a better picture of aspects of his personality.

And before someone brings it up again--VSS does not make night driving impossible for everyone. Because VSS has different causes and triggers, for some people their vision is better at night. Lower light for my son both reduces the intensity of his VSS and makes it easier to "ignore/adapt to" the lowered VSS. For him, broad daylight makes it much much worse. For some VSS patients, the absence of bright lights does not reduce their VSS, so their VSS is just as strong at night time as it is during the day.
I don't think BK's tapatalk posts are proven evidence. If the defense tries to use that as a mitigating factor, good luck with that.

I wonder what the actual, documented proven statistics are that says VSS is a contributing factor in a quadruple homicide? Or any homicide for that matter?

Very low I'd wager:

Here's a link from world renowned Cleveland Clinic on it, one I found interesting is that it does cause difficulty seeing at night, maybe that's what saved BF and maybe why he brought his phone to the scene because he couldn't go back by a circuitous route without it.

<snipped>
  • Having trouble seeing at night (nyctalopia).
Visual Snow Syndrome (Static Vision)

JMO

I cannot find anything in your post that is factual about this case. Your link takes me to a search engine site and is trying to get me to sign up.

I do not know how to discuss this when I cannot see where your information is coming from. I would be happy to compare your information with what I have found if you could provide links.

Thank You

What I'm trying to say is LE does not seem to have actually confirmed that the DNA they had matches the suspect's, only that it didn't exclude him. While this was good enough for the judge, it can definitely be challenged IMO because it contraindicated the process in place, which is to confirm suspect DNA match prior to arrest. This is why I believe the DNA could get thrown out...The very guidelines this science requires are confirmation because it's not a perfect science. LE did not obtain that confirmation prior to arrest that I am aware of.

MOO

Let me be clear--I think he's guilty.

While I don't agree with the defense in general, I can tell you exactly what their VSS and/or psychiatric expert will say and SHOULD say is a contributing factor...and that is the effect VSS has on mental health and how it can cause depersonalization/derealization in some individuals. I think it's pretty easy to see how DP/DR could be seen in how he related to others. Do all people with VSS or DP/DR become murderers--no. But in BK's case I feel they are all major ingredients in the soup.

Do I think it should change whether he gets LWOP or DP? I don't have a way to have an opinion on that because I no longer believe in the death penalty in general.

The reason I think the VSS and DP/DR is important to analyze by criminologists/psych field/etc is because I think it played a huge role in forming the person he became and leading to his actions. And that's what we are always hoping to do, isn't it--figure out what kind of person kills others....what factors released them from the typical moral codes? Try to figure out more about the brain?
I respect your thoughts on the VSS matter. I believe the State will have enough evidence to prove BK was a troubled, potential threat from an early age that had nothing to do with VSS.

If it is proven and verified he had it by professionals, it still would not not mitigate homicidal ideation.

IMO

What I'm trying to say is LE does not seem to have actually confirmed that the DNA they had matches the suspect's, only that it didn't exclude him. While this was good enough for the judge, it can definitely be challenged IMO because it contraindicated the process in place, which is to confirm suspect DNA match prior to arrest. This is why I believe the DNA could get thrown out...The very guidelines this science requires are confirmation because it's not a perfect science. LE did not obtain that confirmation prior to arrest that I am aware of.

MOO
They a single source STR DNA match from BK directly in excess of 5 Octillion. Pretty high hurdle to jump IMO.

MOO

IMO,
% exclusion is the way all DNA analysis is tabulated, published and disseminated.
You can never say is it absolutely this person or that person.. only that the DNA excludes 99.999997% of all other living humans on the planet for example.

I suppose they could say there is only a 0.0000000003% chance it is someone else but this is just the terminology used.

Even if if there is only a trillion billion chance it is somebody else, they can't statistically say it is 0 chance.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnmeep
Back