7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was a demonstration in haiti yesterday. But it was unlike any other demonstration I have seen. This demonstration had 100's of survivors walking the streets in a line, singing and clapping. Almost like they were saying "we will get through this, we will over come this" It brought tears to my eyes. Its on cnn under there videos called "demonstration in Haiti"

Israeli military flying in and setting up a surgical unit so that surgeries can start happening today.

Sanja Gupta was the ONLY doctor working tonite at saving patients. The other doctors left due to security issues, but since CNN is covering Sanja Gupta, he was able to stay and treat patients, with the help of the security team from CNN.

Yes, but you know, both Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper, as well as some other folks from CNN stated that, while they do have security, they did not see any violence. Thus far, they didn't seem to feel threatened or understand the huge concenr for the safety of relief workers who are trying to help. They just seemed confused and upset by the lack of assistance in the face of so many whose lives are slipping away. The term I kept hearing on CNN was "stupid death" or something to that effect - needless death.
I don't know, I'm no expert in going into a country with little infrastructure to begin with, that has been virtually flattened - it looks like a nuke wasted the city - so I have no clue as to the actual logistics of organizing such an undertaking in the face of such overwhelming need. But, I worry that fear will prevent some mucyh needed heriosm and will result in the very thing that is feared.
My heart is sick for these poor people. I saw clip of a bunch of people in a clearing who had written SOS in stones and were frantically waving at the helicopter filiming. It was one of the moments that struck me and made me cry. I think it is human nature - the good side of that nature - that sees such devastation and wants to rush in and help. We want to see these people helped and now. Let's pray that tomorrow will be the turning point in Haiti as far as relief is concerned.

Its perfectly understandable that Anderson Cooper didn't feel threatened. I'm just hoping that none of our military has to kill a Haitian and then face prosecution in the USA for protecting him/her self or fellow soldiers.

I read nothing can be gotten in by seaports at all and ships are waiting. Alot of aid is at the airport but distributing it seems to be a nightmare.

I heard a US missionary worker on one station and she spoke of the resilience of the Haitian people and how they are in fact,banding together to clear streets and recover people,but she is becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of coordination and says that the most directly hit area,most densley populated area,has not even been covered at all. Unfortunatley she is directing her frustration at the US. She sees the aid coming to the airport,but sees no coordinated efforts.
Although I understand she is speaking out of frustration,how is this the US's probem? Why are we in charge? Shouldn't the UN be in charge? I fear that this situation is going to escalate into something even worse,and its nobodys fault. The people are desperate, and desperate people do unthinkable things at times like this,but the US govt can not be blamed ,like Katrina. There is no existing infrastructure to begin with. Where is the Haitian President? I hear that he is in communication with Obama,but why isn't he showing himself and making an effort to calm his people?
I am so sad and scared for the whole island of Haiti.

Israeli military flying in and setting up a surgical unit so that surgeries can start happening today.
:clap: :clap:
They are awesome. A tinny little country surrounded by enemies and always helping others.
Yes they have had many international award for the many things they are good at and Medicine is only one of them.

Haitian doctor takes 100 patients into his home
<<<SNIP>>>
The conditions at his home are far from ideal. Plastic buckets serve as toilets, and for some patients Surena can do little more than change dressings on infected wounds. But they are better off then many in Port-au-Prince, the capital city of 3 million people.

>more at link>>>>>>>
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34892995/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake

I have read here that some of you have made reference to voodoo as if it is a curse.
but there is WHITE MAGIC and there is BLACK MAGIC and it depends on the person no different then Santeria.
there is good and bad in all religions.
IMHO
Just as an example: MOO
Rev. Jeremiah Wright is no match for those practicing WHITE MAGIC. (I see evil in him - JMO)
Also - Priest Gilbert Gauthe pled guilty to 11 counts of molestation of boys.

More information at the link - I do not subscribe to ignorance.
People should know what they are talking about before they decide to make whatever they don't know as wrong ;)

Voodoo is either White or black magic, it depends on the person who is the practitioner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou

I am of a religion that does not subscribe to any voodoo.
but I respect all White magic no matter who offers it.

A great article about the topic, A report written by an American student.
http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/voodoo/student.htm

I was just talking to my husband about this ... and I agree with what he said:

If there HAS to be a war .. or it turns into a 'war zone' ... then so be it! If that's the only way we can get help to the survivors, then that's the way it has to be!

American troops (and troops from other countries that choose to be involved) will have to go in there with weapons, if they are threatened by a Haitian yielding a machete, and they are warned to put it down and don't ... they shoot.

If the Haitians (those that are) are choosing to try and attack us or those that are trying to help the sick and dying people, then it becomes 'By any means necessary'. Too damn bad if they don't like it .. that our soldiers have to kill a few .. to get the point across, that we're SERIOUS about getting in there and save lives.

I agree completely with him (oh .. and that's RARE! LOL), because ... how else can it be done, if not by force .. if need be? If there are so many injured and dying, we're not going to just sit back and let them die ... we need to force our way in, and if some die in the process ... well, they asked for it then. (those who are attacking, if that report is true).

I suppose it's as if .. you came upon a group of people killing children in the streets, and you have a group of soldiers equipped to protect themselves. They're not going to turn their backs on the children, they'll do what is necessary to get to them .. and if that means shooting a few attackers to get them to back off, so be it.

That's my take on this ... as is my husband's .. IF the reports of Haitians attacking with machetes and other weapons, are true.

I just watched a segment by Anderson Cooper that featured Sanjay Gupta and a man who helped in the rescues after Hurricane Katrina. Sanjay Gupta is at the hospital Petra above posted about that was abandoned by medical personnel on orders of the U.N. leaving people who just had surgery, etc., alone. The medical professionals did not want to leave. They told news reporters how to manage IV's and left. Gupta stayed and is provding medical treatment, on his own. These reporters have been in Port Au Prince for days, through the nights. They have not seen the kind of violence UN security is so afraid of. They state that, much like what happened with Hurrican Katrina, the UN is coming in with guns and security concerns are prevening aid from getting there and making the situation much more unstable.
The man who assisted with the hurricane said that it's fear of poor people that is leading to the delay in aid.
I think fear in general is to blame. I saw some cameraman simply jump in and extricate a baby girl who had been in the rubble for 62 hours as the rescuers stood by watching because they were too afraid to go quickly. He said, "I have babies, I could not stand by and watch her die."
Not one major news station, FOX, CNN, MSNBC has reported roving bands of gangs killing people. But I have seen men with machetes going throguh the streets and I heard they are prepared to fight for food.
The reporters seem frustrated and confused and upset about the lack of aid.
Anderson Cooper said, "People think this is a country without any order, just chaos. But there IS order. I have seen people banding together to help one another, to bury their neighbors, to rescue people."
He talked about the Bolivian UN able to get the help to the people in an orderly manner and seemed to wonder why that can't happen elsewhere.
To SWAG - are you aware that the Haitian immigrants to the U.S. essentially fuel the Haitian economy with aid they send back home, much like Cuban expats? So, I do not think they forget their people back home.
I just think that it is such a poor, third world country with so much entrenched corruption from above (as in the government and the wealthy there, what little there are), that efforts to assist the country seem to get swallowed up and there is little progress.
Some experts are suggesting that this crisis, if handled by the international community correctly, could acutally turn the tables for Haiti in the long run. I hope so. Something has to change.
Haiti is a sad, poor, third world country. The poorest nation in the western hemisphere. But I refuse to call these poor people, who I have seen on t.v. committing incredible acts of humanity towards one another, "uncivilized". The government, the infrastructure certainly is, but I refuse to believe that there exist whole populations that are evil, or savages or beyond hope.
If we fail to heed their call however, I will expect scenes of violence. When people become desperate and mad with hunger, fear and thirst. They will strike out. So would we. People all over the world will fight to survive if they must.

Please try to understand that I am not being cruel or bitter when I used the word uncivilzed. I am using it in the truest sense of the word. A huge majority (I'm willing to bet 90% or better) don't have televisions so they don't get "news" from anywhere - local or otherwise. Computers are non-existent. Indoor working plumbing is a necessity we take for granted but the Haitian people just don't have at all. No running water. Why do you think there were 90,000 UN peacekeepers there? We have been trying for decades to improve the lives of the Haitian people.

As for the people here sending help back home- yes to some extent they do. What a lot of us don't understand with the Haitians is why they send money back home but then get on the news and cry and say "my daughter is over there, my wife is over there, my sister/brother is over there". Why? Why haven't you brought those family members over here? Or at least gotten them out of that squalor? When Haitians get here it is such a culture shock for them - compared to how they live there. I think some of them become so caught up in the "American Way" that they somehwhat forget. I ask you, if you had escaped from a country where you literally have nothing and get to America - wouldn't your first order of business be to get your children, husbands/wives, family here as well? I know many many Haitians that have done that - but for those, there are hundreds that haven't.

This country's plight has strained our resources here for many years. And with this disaster it is only going to get worse. They are already flying some of the more severly injured here and our hospitals are quickly filling up. We are part of America and our economy is desperately struggling so jobs are very scarce - especially for ones that have no skills and can't speak the language. Our schools accept anyone which, again, drains the budgets of the schools.

I said that I do believe we should help and give anything we can. However, we here in South Florida have watched this type of effort again and again and again each time hoping Haiti will emerge at little better, a little stronger and little more self efficient - but to no avail. Why is that? No one here seems to know. Its a very sad story.

As for the violence and the security of the medical teams. Its real and its there. The streets of Haitit have been rocked by violence for years - even in times of no disaster. The reports of the young men with machetes is true with our local reporters telling of how they witnessed it firsthand. It will get worse and that is my fear. Our military is going to help but they are also going to keep order and that is going to be the difficult part.

Please don't attack me for what I am saying. I debated with myself about trying to explain all this to the great people on WS because the rest of our country (the rest of our world) really doesn't know what everyone in this region has been dealing with for years.

Here's a question that came up last night. Haiti is on the island Dominica which houses the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Why is the Dominican Republic thriving? They have resort hotels, seaports that host cruise ships, and a working economy. Yet, Haiti (on the same piece of land) is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere (even the world). Why?

Again, I would love to see Haiti emerge from this a better, stronger country. But in order for that to happen they have to be shown how and then continue to use that knowledge to grow and start to propsper.

Let's "teach them to fish" instead of just "giving them the fish" is what I desperately wish we can do for the people of Haiti's sake.

Please try to understand that I am not being cruel or bitter when I used the word uncivilzed. I am using it in the truest sense of the word. A huge majority (I'm willing to bet 90% or better) don't have televisions so they don't get "news" from anywhere - local or otherwise. Computers are non-existent. Indoor working plumbing is a necessity we take for granted but the Haitian people just don't have at all. No running water. Why do you think there were 90,000 UN peacekeepers there? We have been trying for decades to improve the lives of the Haitian people.

As for the people here sending help back home- yes to some extent they do. What a lot of us don't understand with the Haitians is why they send money back home but then get on the news and cry and say "my daughter is over there, my wife is over there, my sister/brother is over there". Why? Why haven't you brought those family members over here? Or at least gotten them out of that squalor? When Haitians get here it is such a culture shock for them - compared to how they live there. I think some of them become so caught up in the "American Way" that they somehwhat forget. I ask you, if you had escaped from a country where you literally have nothing and get to America - wouldn't your first order of business be to get your children, husbands/wives, family here as well? I know many many Haitians that have done that - but for those, there are hundreds that haven't.

This country's plight has strained our resources here for many years. And with this disaster it is only going to get worse. They are already flying some of the more severly injured here and our hospitals are quickly filling up. We are part of America and our economy is desperately struggling so jobs are very scarce - especially for ones that have no skills and can't speak the language. Our schools accept anyone which, again, drains the budgets of the schools.

I said that I do believe we should help and give anything we can. However, we here in South Florida have watched this type of effort again and again and again each time hoping Haiti will emerge at little better, a little stronger and little more self efficient - but to no avail. Why is that? No one here seems to know. Its a very sad story.

As for the violence and the security of the medical teams. Its real and its there. The streets of Haitit have been rocked by violence for years - even in times of no disaster. The reports of the young men with machetes is true with our local reporters telling of how they witnessed it firsthand. It will get worse and that is my fear. Our military is going to help but they are also going to keep order and that is going to be the difficult part.

Please don't attack me for what I am saying. I debated with myself about trying to explain all this to the great people on WS because the rest of our country (the rest of our world) really doesn't know what everyone in this region has been dealing with for years.

Here's a question that came up last night. Haiti is on the island Dominica which houses the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Why is the Dominican Republic thriving? They have resort hotels, seaports that host cruise ships, and a working economy. Yet, Haiti (on the same piece of land) is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere (even the world). Why?

Again, I would love to see Haiti emerge from this a better, stronger country. But in order for that to happen they have to be shown how and then continue to use that knowledge to grow and start to propsper.

Let's "teach them to fish" instead of just "giving them the fish" is what I desperately wish we can do for the people of Haiti's sake.

Yes, but at this moment ... children are dying ... stuck, sick .. women and men are in dire need of help. Push the assholes aside, to get to those that need help.

Worry about the rest ... later.

Yes, but at this moment ... children are dying ... stuck, sick .. women and men are in dire need of help. Push the assholes aside, to get to those that need help.

Worry about the rest ... later.
Yes and I (we) wholeheartedly agree. 100% however, there are 2 million people there, with many of them "azzholes" with some type of weapon. If the roving gangs have someone hurt or dying they will seek out a medical team and threaten them (even "kidnap" for lack of a better word) them - taking them to help "their" people. That is the problem - too many people, not enough doctors. A contignent of 500 soldiers can't hold off a desperate group of 3000 or more - logistically its a nightmare. And its very unsafe for all involved.

Our military is there - with more coming everyday. I hope and pray they will "get the job done" without the first gun being fired or anyone else being hurt. Sadly that is not the reality and that first shot will echo round the world with the words "The US is now killing the people of Haiti and have no compassion".

What you are saying is true of all 3rd world countries. Much is due to lack of education / ignorance.
Some of it is due to their belief that capitalism is the devil itself. (take the poor Arabs for example).
Where ever you have uncivilized groups of people, uneducated, who do not know any better you get primitive behaviour.
Take the middle east one side Israel up to date and advanced in technology, medicine, education, agriculture, and much more. the other side Palestinians in the same region in tents and huts and uneducated. Some only live one mile apart from their more civilized neighbor. Much like the region of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
We also have American Indians who also choose to be close to the land and not become westernized.

We ask this question for many years.....Of all the groups of people who chose not to become civilized / westernized.
Who chose to live on the land and not in big structures.

THIS IS A NATURAL CATASTROPHY - even if they had chosen to become westernized, civilized, this kind of upheaval would have devastated them.

SO this is not the time to ask why? this is the time to say How can we help to save the living.
If you want to ask why? talk to God and ask why do we have so many Natural Disasters?
Let us know if you get an answer...
I have asked why so many times that I had seen a baby suffer, or a very kind person die young.
but I always come back with the same reply - Some spirits come here for a very short time,
some come to do great things and that is their personal evolution, but we all have to help each other.

Yes and I (we) wholeheartedly agree. 100% however, there are 2 million people there, with many of them "azzholes" with some type of weapon. If the roving gangs have someone hurt or dying they will seek out a medical team and threaten them (even "kidnap" for lack of a better word) them - taking them to help "their" people. That is the problem - too many people, not enough doctors. A contignent of 500 soldiers can't hold off a desperate group of 3000 or more - logistically its a nightmare. And its very unsafe for all involved.

Our military is there - with more coming everyday. I hope and pray they will "get the job done" without the first gun being fired or anyone else being hurt. Sadly that is not the reality and that first shot will echo round the world with the words "The US is now killing the people of Haiti and have no compassion".

But can't the US outnumber them with troops? Or the US with other countries and their military?

I hear what you're saying too ... but if it HAS to turn into war ... to get to the dying, then it has to ... and I just don't know why so many don't understand, that a war is a war .. for a reason. We don't 'shoot' for nothing ... we may have to shoot for LIFE, what happened to so many in the US, that don't understand Justice?

Forgive me for saying but this sounds like an excuse to either not help or to be right.

There are not that many bad guys with guns out there, looting happened at Katrina too due to desperation.
They barely have a car to get around, let alone ammunition.
there are more people helping each other and saving each other then there are bad guys with guns :crazy:
The main problem is logistics and order due to a brake on whatever communications and transportation that was available prior to the quake.
They need transportation to get things to the needy.
There are not 2 million people there with mostly azzholes NO WAY.
This is just an excuse to not help. MOO. :(

I am on unemployment for a year now and no savings, no health insurance but I helped. BECAUSE THEY ARE PEOPLE.

But can't the US outnumber them with troops? Or the US with other countries and their military?

I hear what you're saying too ... but if it HAS to turn into war ... to get to the dying, then it has to ... and I just don't know why so many don't understand, that a war is a war .. for a reason. We don't 'shoot' for nothing ... we may have to shoot for LIFE, what happened to so many in the US, that don't understand Justice?

There is never a reason not to help there are only excuses.

Yes this is a natural disaster but then again, so are the many many hurricanes that continously hit this nation. Yes we should save the living, yes we should help rescue the trapped.

If just once after a devistating hurricane the Haitian people emerged and started practicing some type of building code (everyone in a hurricane zone has certain building codes) then possibly some of the buildings would have remained standing and the devistation not as severe.

The people of South Florida have given and given and helped and even taken the Haitian people into our state for over 20 years now and yet the country has shown little to no progress. Yes, in the early part of 2000 Haiti was under horrible political unrest - and that was hampering any progress efforts. Now, they have an elected president and the political turmoil is somewhat subsiding (depending on who you talk to).

The illegal Haitians that come here are immediately sent back as they now have no "political immunity" like the Cubans. That has created a "war" here in South Florida as the Haitian people hate the Cubans because they "get to stay". Violence in our streets happens everyday. The children in our schools are at odds and very cruel to each other because of what they hear at home and the feelings that they bring with them to school.

When I first heard this happened on Tuesday - I said "this is bad! very bad!"

Coordinating efforts between nations is ongoing however, I heard last night that Cuba is only allowing us to use their air space for "medical evacuations". You see, we have to "go around" Cuba's air space and that takes longer for planes to get there.

Its not about "westernizing" this nation. Its about self-sufficiency, its about helping yourself and improving your life. We are going on way too many years with this country not doing anything to improve their country and why is that? Because when anything happens - natural or otherwise (the school collapse last year) the US will show up and give them whatever they need. Generations have been raised and then raised their own children with the "underlying impression" (and rightly so) that the US will bail them out - instead of the internal fortitude needed to want to improve your life yourself. The ones that do want to improve their life get out. They come here and while some try to help back home, a lot get caught up in the "American way". Then there are those who try to hide their heritage out of fear because of the unrest we have between the different islanders already here (as I explained above). Its a very sticky wicket and South Florida is right in the middle of it all. It has hurts our hearts, (and our economy) for a long time and frustrated many wanting everyone to be able to live in peace and comfort and, most of all, harmony.

Songline - again I will reiterate WE SHOULD HELP, WE SHOULD DO WHATEVER WE CAN!

I am not making excuses. Not at all. I am simply trying to explain what we (as Americans) have been doing and witnessing for many many years with this country.

As for cars - there are virtually non-existent over there. The "upper class" is dispised by the masses for what they have. And while there are "gangs" many of the people are not caught up in that. However, with a natural disaster and the slow process of getting aid to those - you have the "few" that will get on a soapbox and start "badmouthing" the countries trying to get them help - like the biscuit fiasco yesterday. The longer it takes the more you are going to have the regular people start listening to the gangs and the "troublemakers". Like in Katrina - the longer that went on - the more and more people started to "turn". When a person becomes desperate - rational thinking goes out the window.

Biden is here in Homestead right now. We are trying - desperately trying to help and get the survivors. He just made a comment that - we have the capacity to get so much more in there quickly - its just not possible. He said its like trying to fit a bowling ball through a straw.

Yesterday I was talking to my neighbor and she told me that she overheard two Haitian women in the grocery store complaining that "we (the Americans) are more worried about digging out the Americans over there and getting them out then we are about helping dig out the Haitians". There you have it. It that is being said here - can you just imagine what is echoing through the villages over there about the Americans?

We have to continue to pray and hope that compassion, patience and some order can be maintained as this rescue, relief and humanitarian effort continues.

Songline - again I will reiterate WE SHOULD HELP, WE SHOULD DO WHATEVER WE CAN!

I am not making excuses. Not at all. I am simply trying to explain what we (as Americans) have been doing and witnessing for many many years with this country.

As for cars - there are virtually non-existent over there. The "upper class" is despised by the masses for what they have. And while there are "gangs" many of the people are not caught up in that. However, with a natural disaster and the slow process of getting aid to those - you have the "few" that will get on a soapbox and start "badmouthing" the countries trying to get them help - like the biscuit fiasco yesterday. The longer it takes the more you are going to have the regular people start listening to the gangs and the "troublemakers". Like in Katrina - the longer that went on - the more and more people started to "turn". When a person becomes desperate - rational thinking goes out the window.

Biden is here in Homestead right now. We are trying - desperately trying to help and get the survivors. He just made a comment that - we have the capacity to get so much more in there quickly - its just not possible. He said its like trying to fit a bowling ball through a straw.

Yesterday I was talking to my neighbor and she told me that she overheard two Haitian women in the grocery store complaining that "we (the Americans) are more worried about digging out the Americans over there and getting them out then we are about helping dig out the Haitians". There you have it. It that is being said here - can you just imagine what is echoing through the villages over there about the Americans?

We have to continue to pray and hope that compassion, patience and some order can be maintained as this rescue, relief and humanitarian effort continues.

YES you are right that they should sustain themselves and so should the Arab and African Nations including American Indians who are not westernized not educated not even a little aware of anything other then the food they need that day.
I hear your frustration that the USA is helping every devastated Nation and that we are in a mess here ourselves. I do hear that clearly and I feel the same frustration and the same helplessness about our own future too.
The "upper class" is despised all over the world by many, there is a clear division of haves and have nots everywhere.
My personal Philosophy on that is those who despise the "haves" will never have, law of nature.

I know what is echoing about "Americans" in Europe not in Haiti and it is not very pretty, not at all.
But it is Americans who destroyed "World Economy and our Own" with the illegal "Federal Reserve"
starting in 1930. But that is another topic titled GREED.

You are right that the longer it takes to get the help to them, the more frustrated, angry, and distrusting they will become. (Yes that can cause violence)
That region is a huge challenge and it is not as if the world is not doing all that it can.
IT is that the people have no information and they do not know how much help is already there.
It is that transporting some of the good will is so very difficult, it is that they are so very very desperate right now, understandably so.
WE just have to pray for a miracle and a resolve that all the aid gets to them and that some order is restored.
I hope they can use their WHITE MAGIC to help create this miracle. :)

We still have lost Americans there too. :( that are hopefully alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back