8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when this happened and would laso like to watch it.

I have comcast on demand but just the basic cable and that is to expensive as it is considering the amount of tv I watch which isn't much for lack of time.

Do you have to pay for the HBO on demand if you want to watch a particular show?

With my cable company (Time Warner), you have to pay for HBO to get HBO on demand. You can't just pay for a single show.

But that doesn't mean the doc won't be available somewhere on the internet, perhaps after a month or so of running on HBO.

If you're an expert on the case, I doubt the movie will tell you anything new. But I thought it was very good for someone like me, who hasn't followed the case.

FWIW, nothing in the film said murder/suicide to me. Closet alcoholic, quite possible. Even self-medicating for an absessed tooth (though maybe that just made sense because I had 3 root canals today). But I didn't see anything that would suggest the aunt intentionally killed her 3 nieces.

BTW, much has been made here of DS' driving on the shoulder, impatient to pass slow traffic. I lived in New York for 9 years and though I didn't drive most of the time, when I did I found that people were all too quick to drive on the shoulder in any delay.

It's the only place I've lived (including L.A.) where people did that regularly. I agree it's a bad idea with children in the car, but it doesn't surprise me with a New Yorker.

I just watched it - I found it on HBO on demand. Sorry to those without HBO, but you may find it online after its made its run on HBO.

I did not find any new answers on the accident itself in this film, as the majority of the time was spent on Diane Shuler's husband Daniel, and her SIL Jay. Both appeared to me to be very immature, with Daniel exhibiting an extremely lazy and selfish personality, and Jay, well, bless her heart - she's just lost in what she believes is a righteous cause to prove that “something” must have caused Diane to do the unthinkable – as Diane was a Saint, just ask them.

Two past supporters have cameos, Dominic Barbara, the lawyer, and Tom Ruskin, the PI. It was eye opening to see how certain aspects of this sad situation have played out. No more money? then no more hired mouth piece defenders - Daniel and Jay were left to continue on their own after their cash (a lot) was gone. (OT: wonder how that’s going to work out for a certain convicted felon out of Florida).

God bless the Hance, Bastardi and Longo families, they are DS' surviving victims, and the Bastardi's appear in the film. It was calming to see their side of grief, and how they have dealt with it over the past two years. I saw good people who have suffered such unnecessary and painful losses, and they are carrying on.

I was very angry at DS, a stranger to me, for what she did, and saw her as a monster. She murdered babies, fathers and sons – and most were her family. But, I was God smacked at the photos of DS that appear near the end of this film, and I believe it was very symbolic that the film’s producer chose to include them. So final, with no dignity or respect shown to her. If one was looking for it, there is no pound of flesh to be had from DS after seeing these images.

p.s. Caylee Anthony case followers will see a familiar face in this documentary, and there are some very graphic photos at the end.

Zip, thanks for the recap, I would love to see it at some point. Can you explain more about the photos they showed at the end? I am curious about what you mean.

How about this-her husband now says he will sue a state of NY and his brother in law (whose three daughters were killed in a crush).
"Daniel Schuler claims the highway was badly designed and inadequately sign-posted, which enabled Diane Schuler to drive the wrong way into traffic, according to the New York Post. He also claims that the Chevy Trailblazer the family had borrowed from Hance, was faulty."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/taconi...super-mom-perfectionist-hbo/story?id=14152213

How about this-her husband now says he will sue a state of NY and his brother in law (whose three daughters were killed in a crush).
"Daniel Schuler claims the highway was badly designed and inadequately sign-posted, which enabled Diane Schuler to drive the wrong way into traffic, according to the New York Post. He also claims that the Chevy Trailblazer the family had borrowed from Hance, was faulty."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/taconi...super-mom-perfectionist-hbo/story?id=14152213

Unbelievable. I can't believe he is suing his brother-in-law, talk about twisting the knife. That man is an absolute moron.

Seriously??? Give me a break!! Another case of someone trying to point the finger everywhere except where it belongs - directly at Diane Schuler.

I forgot to watch last night but we have On Demand so hopefully I can catch it tonight. Sounds interesting.

Seriously??? Give me a break!! Another case of someone trying to point the finger everywhere except where it belongs - directly at Diane Schuler.

I forgot to watch last night but we have On Demand so hopefully I can catch it tonight. Sounds interesting.

I hope he gets fined for filing a frivilous law suit!

This is ridiculous! He needs to sit down a shut up. Or does he want to hear over and over and over, how his wife was loaded out of her mind and killed all of these people? :banghead:

JMHO
fran

Zip, thanks for the recap, I would love to see it at some point. Can you explain more about the photos they showed at the end? I am curious about what you mean.

Lots of photos of the crash scene, most of those have been seen before in various media. But they showed Diane's body lying on the ground (the 2 men who stopped to render aid -- probably 1st on the scene? -- spoke about what they found, they had to pry open the passenger door and Diane's body fell out at their feet). Just her body, lying face up on the ground, clothes askew, face battered but not unrecognizable. No dignity in that. Sort of a "and this is how it ended" frame in the movie -- at least that is how I took it.

The movie just raised more questions for me, if anything. Yes, Daniel and Jay make her out to be a wonderful mother and wife and claim she would never, ever put those kids in danger. But... she did. For some reason. Despite their insistence that something medical drove Diane to drink and smoke pot that day -- the autopsy found nothing and the testing Ruskin did found nothing.

They seem to want to grasp as the "abscessed tooth" theory, but the records they had of Diane's history with that were from 2005 (?) -- years before this horrible day. If she had carried some sort of abscess or infection for YEARS that ate away at her mind and caused her to stroke out and drink/smoke -- wouldn't the autopsy have found that?

There was a lot of time given to Diane's background and the fact that her mother left the family when Diane was only 9yrs old. Maybe I'm reading into that, but to me that says that Diane became the "woman of the family" at a very young age (she was the only daughter), taking care of her father and brothers. This may have driven her to develop the very type-A, ambitious, "All must be PERFECT" personality they all say she possessed. Perhaps she just.... cracked under the pressure?

Then at the end there was a part where Jay was saying that Daniel is angry with Diane still, for leaving him a single parent of their surviving child -- that Daniel never wanted children. Diane wanted them. That would explain Daniel's childish, selfish ways and attitudes (read previously on these threads and elsewhere) -- for example, Diane took 100% care of the children while Daniel came and went to work and did what he pleased. This would explain how/why he would leave her to wrangle 5 kids back home from the campsite while he left by himself with the dog..... again... maybe she just snapped...

Maybe she never meant to hurt the kids, maybe she meant to kill herself in some sort of spiteful fit against Daniel?

Then there are the weird cell calls..... the reckless driving along the way before the wreck....... the calls to her brother and he chooses to go look for her instead of contacting highway patrol immediately? Too many unanswered questions.....

We will never know. It is unimagineable........

I have never posted on this case before, but have followed it. But, this man's actions and level of denial are equal only to that of the Anthony family. I am astounded at the pain DS's husband has added to the pain she has already inflicted upon the families of the victims. Totally unbelievable!

I watched this last night and it was very frustrating. I cannot believe that they are still trying to say she wasn't drunk and high. And the really telling part of the interviews was when both the sister-in-law and the husband said that she would occasionally smoke pot, that she did it to sleep, etc. Then what they said (I can't remember what exactly) made it sound like it was more than just once in a blue moon.

Honestly? I am not saying that I've never smoked pot (or that I have), but if I did it on occasion, I think my husband would have to admit that it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that I also could have on this day. If it was a substance that I *never* touched...ever, I can see them being adamant, but it's clear that she used it more than they are admitting. Even if she used it as much as they are admitting, that's more than the average housewife that *I* know.

The amount of alcohol in her bloodstream is astonishing. It shocked me when I heard it and I had forgotten some of the details until I watched this documentary and it brought it all back up.

Then at the end there was a part where Jay was saying that Daniel is angry with Diane still, for leaving him a single parent of their surviving child -- that Daniel never wanted children. Diane wanted them. That would explain Daniel's childish, selfish ways and attitudes (read previously on these threads and elsewhere) -- for example, Diane took 100% care of the children while Daniel came and went to work and did what he pleased. This would explain how/why he would leave her to wrangle 5 kids back home from the campsite while he left by himself with the dog..... again... maybe she just snapped...

Maybe she never meant to hurt the kids, maybe she meant to kill herself in some sort of spiteful fit against Daniel?

This part broke my heart, that it's clear that Daniel is resentful of Bryan's very existence and so angry that Diane left him alone to "deal with" the child. It breaks my heart for the boy who needs every ounce of love that anyone can give and his father clearly just wants to be pissed that it all happened and probably is pretty pissed that his son isn't "normal", too.

Oh and don't forget how Daniel's mother more than once described Daniel as "like Diane's oldest son".

Tamfish explained the photos very well...

Two men, who were first responders, talk you through the horrific accident scene they have come upon, and several photos of the mangled vehicles are shown. None of these photos show any images of Diane's victims - respectfully and thankfully.

The men are overcome as they speak of finding some of the children in the van, and others victims thrown from the wreckage. They tell you of their attempts to resuscitate one of the little girls - I'm having great difficulty typing this out - well, there is nothing they can do, but they try and try.

When the men break the van's passenger window to get one of its door open - Diane's body basically falls on top of them, and then onto the ground. Here is where the film shows the photos of Diane I mentioned. The first photo is of her arm area on the ground. The next photo is similar, and is of Diane's body, from the waist up - with her head turned so you not see her face. In the final photo, Diane's body is in the same position, but now, her face is looking straight ahead - right at you. These three photos progressively show images of Diane in her death.

Personally, I think Diane became a deeply troubled woman, who, for whatever reason, could not see past her issues at that time, and purposely drank and smoked herself into oblivion to do the unthinkable.

Unbelievable. I can't believe he is suing his brother-in-law, talk about twisting the knife. That man is an absolute moron.

Yes, he is a "special piece of work," isn't he?

As if his BIL and wife haven't suffered enough, now he's going to sue them? WTF....

I swear, just when I think the depth of someone's gall can't amaze me, someone proves me wrong. Geez, thanks Mr. Schuler.

Tamfish explained the photos very well...

Two men, who were first responders, talk you through the horrific accident scene they have come upon, and several photos of the mangled vehicles are shown. None of these photos show any images of Diane's victims - respectfully and thankfully.

The men are overcome as they speak of finding some of the children in the van, and others victims thrown from the wreckage. They tell you of their attempts to resuscitate one of the little girls - I'm having great difficulty typing this out - well, there is nothing they can do, but they try and try.

When the men break the van's passenger window to get one of its door open - Diane's body basically falls on top of them, and then onto the ground. Here is where the film shows the photos of Diane I mentioned. The first photo is of her arm area on the ground. The next photo is similar, and is of Diane's body, from the waist up - with her head turned so you not see her face. In the final photo, Diane's body is in the same position, but now, her face is looking straight ahead - right at you. These three photos progressively show images of Diane in her death.

Personally, I think Diane became a deeply troubled woman, who, for whatever reason, could not see past her issues at that time, and purposely drank and smoked herself into oblivion to do the unthinkable.

Thanks so much for going into further detail. If Daniel is as bad as it seems (He was another child for Diane, now suing his brother-in-law and the state, still denying his wife's culpability, openly admitting his resentment at having to deal with his only surviving child), then it's pretty obvious to me why Diane smoked on a regular basis, and probably closet-drank as well. The only question I have anymore is why she did it that day, at that time. I have pretty much decided that she was doing these things on a regular basis just to get through her days.

This part broke my heart, that it's clear that Daniel is resentful of Bryan's very existence and so angry that Diane left him alone to "deal with" the child. It breaks my heart for the boy who needs every ounce of love that anyone can give and his father clearly just wants to be pissed that it all happened and probably is pretty pissed that his son isn't "normal", too.

I haven't watched the show yet (I have it set to record Wednesday) but have followed this case.

The fact he is upset he is a single father (since he didn't want kids to begin with) is disgusting. I'm sure if he called the Hance's, they would take the little boy in a heart beat. Daniel is the epitome of trash.

wow.. just wow.

How much does that cost.. on demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member