DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry. Try again:

go to http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/

instructions for this site:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/how_to_watch_movies.php

choose "versions" by the star ranking. I used putlocker & it worked perfectly. I did the cable thingy to the tv & watched on the big screen

oh no, BAD NEWS: I just checked & the show has disappeared from that site. I guess you could try again another day.

ETA, reading further, I see TwinkiesMom did find a working link. Good!

The "putlocker" version was working last night...Haven't checked today.

Having had way too much experience (depression - bipolar & alcohol) with this in my life, I'm afraid...food for thought: If Diane suffered from any mental disorders such as bipolar, one can truly go into a rage at the drop of a hat and alcohol just exacerbates the rage. One becomes defiant and reckless, truly reckless. Alcohol exacerbates all those feelings. I don't know about pot, but I can only imagine that the combination is truly a trainwreck. Still - if one chooses to be a trainwreck, don't take others with you. That's the part that I just cannot comprehend or grasp. Despair is a personal tragedy. And usually a very private one. But hurting others - taking other lives...that, I cannot fathom no matter what the circumstances. So for me, Diane is a murderer. How could anyone be so selfish? It is incomprehensible, full stop.

Having had way too much experience (depression - bipolar & alcohol) with this in my life, I'm afraid...food for thought: If Diane suffered from any mental disorders such as bipolar, one can truly go into a rage at the drop of a hat and alcohol just exacerbates the rage. One becomes defiant and reckless, truly reckless. Alcohol exacerbates all those feelings. I don't know about pot, but I can only imagine that the combination is truly a trainwreck. Still - if one chooses to be a trainwreck, don't take others with you. That's the part that I just cannot comprehend or grasp. Despair is a personal tragedy. And usually a very private one. But hurting others - taking other lives...that, I cannot fathom no matter what the circumstances. So for me, Diane is a murderer. How could anyone be so selfish? It is incomprehensible, full stop.

I think Diane is a murderer too. Imo there's no way she started drinking and driving kids around, under the influence that day. I think she was a functioning alcoholic that kept things hidden well. Her getting in a car packed with children was inexcusable. imo

Maybe she had run out of her home bottle and wasn't going to get a chance to get more for her home supply.

Also, can liquor be sold in that area on Sundays?

Yes, but only between noon and 9 pm I believe.

Years ago, you could not buy liquior on Sunday in NY or NJ but they recalled the "blue laws" some time ago. I tried to google a link but the NY ABC site is an unorganized maze.

Found through NoZme's link-

http://www.videozer.com/video/LBUU35Vl

You can watch 70 something minutes then have to take a break for like an hour I think. I let mine buffer all the way then disconnect from the internet to watch that way when the time limit comes up, you just reconnect and resume watching.

While I agree that Bipolar and rage can go hand in hand, Bipolar and murderous rage is really quite rare. To imply otherwise only helps reinforce stereotyping and stigma. There has been nothing brought up in this case that even points toward Diane having a mental illness.. why must we as a society continually try and drag mental illness into everything that happens that we can't comprehend? Bipolar isn't a murdering disease- it doesn't make people go out and kill.

Perhaps the new lawsuits will inspire additional investigation. My impression from the doc was that Schuler was out of money to pay an investigator, and the other parties thought the investigation was complete.

ETA tm, I totally agree about Jay. How can we do anything but applaud her? But if she can't accept the official account, maybe it's just a bit more understandable why Dan can't. No?

ITA about Jay.. she breaks my heart. She seems almost more driven than Dan to prove Diane "wasn't drunk"... probably for Brian's sake, so she can tell him "See, your mom was a good person". But just because she did this doesn't make her a horrible person. I feel very sad for all involved including Dan.

ITA about Jay.. she breaks my heart. She seems almost more driven than Dan to prove Diane "wasn't drunk"... probably for Brian's sake, so she can tell him "See, your mom was a good person". But just because she did this doesn't make her a horrible person. I feel very sad for all involved including Dan.

I couldn't agree more.

ETA and BTW: with the mention of bipolar disorder I thought the poster made it clear s/he was speculating and I assumed the implication was that an episode might have contributed to Diane misjudging her alcohol intake or capacity. It never crossed my mind that anyone was suggesting she was crazy and therefore she intentionally murdered her kids and nieces.

But some people do believe she intended to crash the van, so thanks for the reminder about stereotypes.

What Diane did was absolutely horrible, there is no question about it. There was simply no excuse for drinking, smoking and driving. That said, I do not think she was a murderer. I do not believe she intended to kill herself or anyone else, tho of course no one will ever know for sure. I believe she simply started drinking, perhaps because of some physical pain she was having, or perhaps just to get through the morning, and somehow she just lost control and drank/smoked to the point of blackout. The amount of drinking/smoking is what really baffles me, but I guess that will always be a mystery. The bottom line for me is that I don't believe she premeditated killing herself or others, it just happened as a consequence of some horrible choices she made. Quite honestly, there but for the grace of God go I..............I remember many times when I was younger that I drove drunk. Granted, in the 80s people were not as enlightened about the problem as they are now, and I'd like to think that even back then I would not have been so stupid as to drive a bunch of kids around while I was drunk, but I certainly did drive around with friends that way.

Found through NoZme's link-

http://www.videozer.com/video/LBUU35Vl

You can watch 70 something minutes then have to take a break for like an hour I think. I let mine buffer all the way then disconnect from the internet to watch that way when the time limit comes up, you just reconnect and resume watching.

While I agree that Bipolar and rage can go hand in hand, Bipolar and murderous rage is really quite rare. To imply otherwise only helps reinforce stereotyping and stigma. There has been nothing brought up in this case that even points toward Diane having a mental illness.. why must we as a society continually try and drag mental illness into everything that happens that we can't comprehend? Bipolar isn't a murdering disease- it doesn't make people go out and kill.
I agree OLG.
Although, while I have no thoughts about Diane being bipolar-as you know bipolar disorder and substance abuse are often intertwined so deeply it is hard to separate them out. Mania plus drugs/alcohol can have disastrous effects that are not so much about rage but more about the inability to control impulses and making some pretty bad decisions.
I don't see a murderous rage here but I sure see a very bizarre use of alcohol and weed which could go along with bipolar disorder.
So again while I do not have any thoughts on Diane being bipolar if I were to find out she had a firm diagnosis some things could make more sense.

I think we all try to make sense of behavior that makes no sense and that is why mental illness is mistakenly a convenient catch all.

What were bryan's injuries and what will his life be like? Anyone know?

The New York Magazine article says he broke both legs and one arm, but the documentary focused on a disorder to one of his eyes for which he did/does daily exercises and wore/wears an eye patch.

Sounds like he'll live just fine, physically.

What were bryan's injuries and what will his life be like? Anyone know?

I'm not sure what his exact injuries were but if I understand it correctly, I believe he'll have a fairly normal life. I believe he only has a few cognitive delays. If anyone knows more/better than I, please feel free to correct me!

I am bipolar and am OK now, so it is with respect that I mention this as a possible contributor to Diane's situation. Grew up in a home with a PS Mom who was in and out of institutions - so again, I don't speak with malice or ignorance about mental illness, but there is alot out there and many are in denial and refuse to get help. Thank you for sharing the link to the video; I watched in horror. Diane was a control freak and kept her life busy 24x7. When you live with depression on a daily basis as I do, you do everything to block it out and keep going. That means keeping intensely busy from morning to night. You also tend to NOT talk about your personal life much (for you are sad, but keep it hidden). It was noted she was known for not sharing personal information in the documentary. She had an early childhood trauma when her Mom left her at the age of 9. That pain NEVER goes away. But, like me, she was a functioning depressive, (perhaps), I too held a VP position for a Fortune 500 company.

I think my fragile upbringing and tumultuous childhood is why I am so fascinated with cases like this and many on WS. To this day - I wonder WHY and HOW my Mom could be so mean, could just leave us - which she did on many occasion. The answer is that she was mentally ill. Sadly.

But back to the case, when the documentary showed prescriptions for tranquilizers and lunesta (sleep meds),it rang a bell with me. Sleep meds can be used (abaused) to calm one down. I know this did not show up in the autopsy, but perhaps she used the night before? And an intake that equated to 10 drinks - OMG? Something was eating at her...something flipped her switch...she got mad...decided to drink...and drank more...smoke pot to calm her upset stomach...perhaps KNEW she was busted when she pulled over and left her phone...knew they would find her drunk and THAT was not an option. I just felt an "I'll show you" feeling come over me as I watched and listened. Anyhow, wrote too much. This is just my opinion. Of course. And yes, I spent several years being quite suicidal. It was always on the forefront of my thoughts. When I was driving, I would "fantasize" about driving over the bridge or into a concrete wall. BUT, I NEVER would have hurt anyone else in the process. So, that is the part that our brains cannot comprehend. All I know from reading everything, that she was driving with intended rage. RAGE+alcohol+pot

Peace.

I'd be surprised if Diane had undiagnosed mental illness. I think she was very maladjusted, though, and using alcohol and pot to reduce anxiety from emotions she had bottled up going back to childhood.

I don't think calling Diane a murderer is productive, even if it is true. There are valid arguments on both sides of that issue. I think calling her a murderer puts her in the realm of abnormal, when in fact her life coping mechanisms are extraordinarily common. We all have control freaks in our lives, and we all know substance abusers. Diane got into a situation from which she was unable to extract herself, and she took lives alongside her own. When she knew she was in trouble (e.g., in the Sunoco station looking for painkillers or in the Rampopo rest area parked and throwing up), her thinking was too rigid for her to be able to reach out for help apart from the bottle/pipe.

What Diane did was absolutely horrible, there is no question about it. There was simply no excuse for drinking, smoking and driving. That said, I do not think she was a murderer. I do not believe she intended to kill herself or anyone else, tho of course no one will ever know for sure. I believe she simply started drinking, perhaps because of some physical pain she was having, or perhaps just to get through the morning, and somehow she just lost control and drank/smoked to the point of blackout. The amount of drinking/smoking is what really baffles me, but I guess that will always be a mystery. The bottom line for me is that I don't believe she premeditated killing herself or others, it just happened as a consequence of some horrible choices she made. Quite honestly, there but for the grace of God go I..............I remember many times when I was younger that I drove drunk. Granted, in the 80s people were not as enlightened about the problem as they are now, and I'd like to think that even back then I would not have been so stupid as to drive a bunch of kids around while I was drunk, but I certainly did drive around with friends that way.

Ain't it the truth? When I was in college in the 1970s, we used to make a game of spending an evening at a bar, gulping the umpteenth drink at last call and then racing to another town in a different time zone to see if we could make last call there, too. The other town was in a different time zone, but it was an hour drive, so the trick was to make it in less time.

(Yes. I spent my first two years of college in a really, really boring town.)

No I never had a van full of children, but I might have hit one.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. So let's all thank MADD and other organizations for their work educating drivers and passing tougher legislation.

...in the 1970s, we used to make a game of spending an evening at a bar, gulping the umpteenth drink at last call and then racing to another town in a different time zone to see if we could make last call there, too....

We did the same, although we only had to go over the bridge into the next county where the bars were open until 4:30 a.m.

Yes, stupid, stupid, stupid. I want to say "there but for the grace of God, go I" when I think of Diane driving drunk; however, there is more to this story (not that I am mitigating my stupid lunacy in my younger years).

Anyway, in the very beginning of the doc there is a recording of a 911 call placed by "Brad" somebody - I can't remember the exact name, but he states he is "trying to help a friend" and goes on to explain about the kids traveling home from camp, etc. Do we ever find out who he is? I've watched 3 times now, and it almost sounds to me like this person is part of LE (wish I could remember the full name). From the sound clip of the call it is apparent he is calling on behalf of Warren Hance, at least that's what I get from it. So, any and all input on this is greatly appreciated!

Also, regarding the Sunoco station clerk refusing to talk to LE - can he be subpoenaed to provide a statement? a deposition? The insurance companies would want to talk to him wouldn't you think?

As far as the witnesses at McDonald's and the gas station go, I'm not really sure what legal obligations they would have at this point. They have already provided their statements and though some may not care for those statements, they are what they are.

It's not like they were bartenders at a bar who knowingly served Diane too much liquor. They are just regular folks who happened to come into contact with her that day.

I can't imagine why they would feel compelled to lie about their encounters with her???

I don't think this was addressed in the doc. Was it true that Diane's cell had been used in a long (7 hour) conversation the night before the accident? I remember speculation that one of the Schuler's may have been involved with another person.

This is the one I read... however I'm assuming it's not the complete report. I don't see any drawings, recreations, etc... that is typical here. Hopefully this is okay to post, if not my apologies.

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/policereport/schuler, diane_police_report.pdf

I'm reading this now. Just wow. I have three questions and a 1 comment:

Why was her phone found on I-87?

There was a story in my local news recently about a man who killed his girlfriend, her 2 children (6 & 8 yrs old) and the friend they were living with. He claims he smoked some weed laced with cocaine and thought he was in a video game. He later admitted what happened to his friend and cried over what he did regretfully. If the marijuana was laced with something, I assume they'd find it??

I can not even imagine the fear of the Northbound drivers as they watched a minivan barreling towards them on the wrong side of a PARKWAY oblivious to the fact she was going the wrong way.

I wonder why the Bastardis did not see her coming unless they were both heading around a curve or up a hill precipice? Anyone know?

As a driver for 30 years, I've had that feeling of being in the "wrong lane" or the actual experience of turning into the wrong lane or heading the wrong way down a one way street and although it's fleeting, it's a feeling of disorientation that is panic filled and thankfully, being sober I was able to correct the wrong immediately. What on earth was going through her mind as she watched all these cars coming towards her for miles???? Sigh...

A story for the masses that should be remembered forever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman