8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me a bit of time to figure out why there was a ring of familiarity route-wise with this story but it finally clicked in. Some time ago I had this awful phobia about bridges so was uptight after traveling E over Tappan Zee. Was to head south on the Sprain Brook Pkwy but had to go N then exit, cross under and enter to go S. Because I was still hyped about the bridge went right past the NY-100B exit and ended up taking the exit for NY-100 off Taconic which brought me to Pleasantville Rd, at which point realized I'd screwed up and grabbed the Taconic S which is right before the Taconic overpass.

Although it's clear DS was DUI, so disoriented etc perhaps certain things triggered a response, like the Rte being 100 and than spatial issues came into play. If you follow the NY-100 path from exit along Pleasantville Rd to the right turn into exit ramp of Taconic it has a similar, albeit larger, path as the NY-100B path to get on Sprain Brook Pkwy S. Perhaps she missed (so to speak) the rte 100B exit and took the Taconic rte 100N exit and her incapacitated mind just traveled by distorted auto pilot moves. She may have 'thought' she was on Dobbs Ferry Rd.

Be interested to see what others think.

Starting from I-287 E/I-87 S
1 Head southeast on I-287 E - go 2.7 mi Partial toll road
2 Take exit 3 for Sprain Pkwy toward New York City - go 0.3 mi
3 Merge onto Sprain Brook Pkwy - go 4.7 mi
4 Take the JACKSON Ave exit - go 0.2 mi
5 Turn left at Old Jackson Ave - go 0.1 mi
6 Take the ramp onto Sprain Brook Pkwy - go 2.4 mi
Arriving at Sprain Brook Pkwy
Total: 10.5 mi - about 13 mins

From Sprain Brook Pkwy to West Babylon.
1 Head northeast on Sprain Brook Pkwy - 1.4 mi
2 Take the NY-100B exit toward Ardsley - 0.1 mi
3 Turn right at Dobbs Ferry Rd/NY-100B (signs for Ardsley) - 0.2 mi

From Sprain Brook Pkwy to Pleasantville Rd.
1 Head northeast on Sprain Brook Pkwy - go 6.4 mi
2 Continue on Taconic State Pkwy N - go 1.8 mi
3 Take the exit onto NY-100 N/NY-9A N - go 1.4 mi
4 Take the PLEASANTVILLE Rd exit - go 413 ft
5 Turn right at Pleasantville Rd - go 82 ft
Arriving at Pleasantville Rd Total: 9.7 mi - about 11 mins
Approx start to finish time: 24 mins.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=AjhBSryIJJOXlAeBo83uCA&t=h&mhttp://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e....063174,-73.859496&spn=0.015855,0.038581&z=15

Took me a bit of time to figure out why there was a ring of familiarity route-wise with this story but it finally clicked in. Some time ago I had this awful phobia about bridges so was uptight after traveling E over Tappan Zee. Was to head south on the Sprain Brook Pkwy but had to go N then exit, cross under and enter to go S. Because I was still hyped about the bridge went right past the NY-100B exit and ended up taking the exit for NY-100 off Taconic which brought me to Pleasantville Rd, at which point realized I'd screwed up and grabbed the Taconic S which is right before the Taconic overpass.

Although it's clear DS was DUI, so disoriented etc perhaps certain things triggered a response, like the Rte being 100 and than spatial issues came into play. If you follow the NY-100 path from exit along Pleasantville Rd to the right turn into exit ramp of Taconic it has a similar, albeit larger, path as the NY-100B path to get on Sprain Brook Pkwy S. Perhaps she missed (so to speak) the rte 100B exit and took the Taconic rte 100N exit and her incapacitated mind just traveled by distorted auto pilot moves. She may have 'thought' she was on Dobbs Ferry Rd.

Be interested to see what others think.

Starting from I-287 E/I-87 S
1 Head southeast on I-287 E - go 2.7 mi Partial toll road
2 Take exit 3 for Sprain Pkwy toward New York City - go 0.3 mi
3 Merge onto Sprain Brook Pkwy - go 4.7 mi
4 Take the JACKSON Ave exit - go 0.2 mi
5 Turn left at Old Jackson Ave - go 0.1 mi
6 Take the ramp onto Sprain Brook Pkwy - go 2.4 mi
Arriving at Sprain Brook Pkwy
Total: 10.5 mi - about 13 mins

From Sprain Brook Pkwy to West Babylon.
1 Head northeast on Sprain Brook Pkwy - 1.4 mi
2 Take the NY-100B exit toward Ardsley - 0.1 mi
3 Turn right at Dobbs Ferry Rd/NY-100B (signs for Ardsley) - 0.2 mi

From Sprain Brook Pkwy to Pleasantville Rd.
1 Head northeast on Sprain Brook Pkwy - go 6.4 mi
2 Continue on Taconic State Pkwy N - go 1.8 mi
3 Take the exit onto NY-100 N/NY-9A N - go 1.4 mi
4 Take the PLEASANTVILLE Rd exit - go 413 ft
5 Turn right at Pleasantville Rd - go 82 ft
Arriving at Pleasantville Rd Total: 9.7 mi - about 11 mins
Approx start to finish time: 24 mins.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=AjhBSryIJJOXlAeBo83uCA&t=h&mhttp://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e....063174,-73.859496&spn=0.015855,0.038581&z=15

Thanks for sharing that, capoly. Barring a blackout situation, I have had the thought that she was disoriented, took a wrong exit and then went on automatic pilot to an extent. I don't believe she meant to head the wrong way on the Taconic, but I don't know the area at all, so it's not something I can visualize and I appreciate you perspective as someone familiar with it.

Thanks for sharing that, capoly. Barring a blackout situation, I have had the thought that she was disoriented, took a wrong exit and then went on automatic pilot to an extent. I don't believe she meant to head the wrong way on the Taconic, but I don't know the area at all, so it's not something I can visualize and I appreciate you perspective as someone familiar with it.
I too appreciate the post ~ it gives some insight into what may have happened.

Also, on Nancy Grace tonight, there is a report of the possibility she suffered a TIA (transient ischemic attack).

I too appreciate the post ~ it gives some insight into what may have happened.

Also, on Nancy Grace tonight, there is a report of the possibility she suffered a TIA (transient ischemic attack).

That's interesting, panthera. The father of a good friend of mine has been having these TIAs recently.

Where is the report of this "possibility" coming from - police examiners or Barbara? How can evidence of TIAs pop up when the initial reports said there was no evidence of a medical condition? Is someone just speculating?

That's interesting, panthera. The father of a good friend of mine has been having these TIAs recently.

Where is the report of this "possibility" coming from - police examiners or Barbara? How can evidence of TIAs pop up when the initial reports said there was no evidence of a medical condition? Is someone just speculating?
The most I could get from that "news" is it's coming from the attorney. They showed the news conference where he was there with her husband and saying she had no history of alcoholism or drug use and that she wasn't drinking at the campground. No explanation though how the BAC level was so high or how THC was found in her system. :waitasec: MOO

The most I could get from that "news" is it's coming from the attorney. They showed the news conference where he was there with her husband and saying she had no history of alcoholism or drug use and that she wasn't drinking at the campground. No explanation though how the BAC level was so high or how THC was found in her system. :waitasec: MOO

Frankly, I am going to have to take what Barbara is saying with a grain of salt. TIAs do not lead to alcohol and drug use against a person's will. IMHO, unless and until another BAC is done, the one we know about is the most compelling piece of real evidence in this case so far. Even if she did suffer TIA, she was also loaded.

If the Husband truly thinks the BAC is hinky based on his experience of his Wife, he should demand that another one be done.....but I doubt Barbara will let him. Eventually, the Husband will have to accept the BAC on some level.

Frankly, I am going to have to take what Barbara is saying with a grain of salt. TIAs do not lead to alcohol and drug use against a person's will. IMHO, unless and until another BAC is done, the one we know about is the most compelling piece of real evidence in this case so far. Even if she did suffer TIA, she was also loaded.

If the Husband truly thinks the BAC is hinky based on his experience of his Wife, he should demand that another one be done.....but I doubt Barbara will let him. Eventually, the Husband will have to accept the BAC on some level.
I agree with you. On NG's show they showed that the BAC was 0.19 which they said was like 2x the legal limit, undigested alcohol was in her stomach and the marijuana had apparently been smoked about 15 min. to one hour before the accident. Either the toxicology tests are all wrong or the husband is hiding his head in the sand refusing to believe the truth. MOO

No explanation though how the BAC level was so high or how THC was found in her system. :waitasec: MOO

No matter what condition she may have experienced -- suddenly or not -- they would not cause her to have excessive alcohol in her system or drugs.

... Lowenkopf said autopsies can show underlying conditions that cause a TIA, including narrowing arteries and a damaged heart. Westchester authorities said the autopsy showed no underlying conditions.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/attorney-schuler-eyes-stroke-as-crash-cause-1.1360916

btw, this article also reports the son was released from the hospital today... but the reporter wasn't sure if he went home or to another medical facility.

My question as to seat belts a while back has been lost in the shuffle....I have read conflicting reports as to the children being thrown from the vehicle....

As for SSRIs, I am not a fan....I think they are an easy out for our society, rather than taking the hard road to help people cope, it is easier to medicate...true also for millions of little boys who are put on ADD meds for.....being little boys... IMO

HOWEVER...with this family, this lawyer, I am pretty sure that they would have mentioned it, if Diane had been taking them....because that is way more socially acceptable than boozing and toking........

IMO

Seat belt ideas anyone???

Walk in my shoes and then tell me that antidepressants are an easy way out :mad:

the bottom line is she was driving the wrong way on a road for a period of time, I can think of no other medical condition other than drunkeness that would make that happen. And I know children usually are absorbed in their own things in the car, but it seems like they would have been old enough to realize something was terribly wrong. This whole thing is so wrong.

My sister is an alcoholic, who has literally torn our family apart with her antics. No way would I ever allow my grandchildren in the car with her

I hope that LE is investigating this case with a fine tooth comb; it reeks. I hope the Bastardi family and Daniel Longo’s family do not let this go.

Who is Daniel Longo? There were eight people killed in the wreck and there were six in Diane's van and two in the Bastardi's vehicle.

I wonder when we will hear from Diane's brother who was the last person to speak to her. IMO he will most likely tell the full truth about her state of mind and what was said in their last conversation. I can't see him trying to redeem his sister's reputation when his three children are dead at her hands.

Who is Daniel Longo? There were eight people killed in the wreck and there were six in Diane's van and two in the Bastardi's vehicle.

Daniel Longo was a close friend of the Bastardi family who was also killed along with the Bastardi father and son. Diane was riding with five children, one of which, her son, survived.

As for SSRIs, I am not a fan....I think they are an easy out for our society, rather than taking the hard road to help people cope, it is easier to medicate...true also for millions of little boys who are put on ADD meds for.....being little boys... IMO

bbm

I don't know how I missed this part of your post.

I don't believe any parent medicates their little boy simply because he is being a little boy. It is not an easy decision to make and it is one that is chosen with very careful consideration.

Hang out at my house on a day that we forget to give my son his pill and you tell me if he needs it or not.

also - i found this... from a wedding board... the poster "punky" alludes to knowing what happened... considering she posted this on the 27th before the tox reports came back, i wonder if she was speculating, making stuff up for attention (aka lying) or if LE knows more than they are saying?

http://talk.theknot.com/boards/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=61531317&forumid=9&MsdVisit=1

Interesting find. Punky says all the kids were belted and in seatbelts. Punky may well be in touch with a close friend of the girl's mother - her comments make sense to me because I think that the family immediately assumed a medical condition (due to DS's calls to her brother telling him of the issues she was having while driving) and that was probably the theory they were operating on while the investigation was ongoing.

I believe they probably told others about this theory because people in cyberspace were immediately saying things like "DS did it on purpose and was on a suicide mission" and they didn't believe that - a medical condition seemed the most logical think to have happened.

I think the family was more shocked than anyone in the world when the BAC came back.

I wonder when we will hear from Diane's brother who was the last person to speak to her. IMO he will most likely tell the full truth about her state of mind and what was said in their last conversation. I can't see him trying to redeem his sister's reputation when his three children are dead at her hands.

I think the brother has told the full truth and that it has been reported - DS called him and was feeling disoriented and having visual disturbances. This concerned the brother greatly, so he told her to pull over and he would come get her. Obviously, he felt comfortable that she had done what he asked.

It seems to me that on his way to find her, he then couldn't get in touch with her (because she had ditched or forgotten her phone) and couldn't find her. Then he called the police.

I don't think there is anything more than this. I think the full truth about her state of mind from his perspective was that she was having a physical, medical problem.

The full truth from her perspective will never be known, but I think she was terrified of being caught loaded by her family. Her substance use affected her differently that day that it usually did - feeling so badly, she knew she would have a hard time hiding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro