A Poll - is the Anthony Trial changing your view of our Legal System?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Is the Anthony Trial Changing Your Mind about our legal system?

• YES - it's making our legal system into a joke.

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • Yes - I feel discouraged about the delays and length of time to trial

Votes: 45 22.1%
  • Yes - it makes me have more respect for our legal system

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • No - it's the same as it always was.

Votes: 75 36.8%
  • No - I always thought the legal system was somewhat of a joke.

Votes: 35 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So true, but I do think that this sad unfolding murder case has been a 'trial' and is a 'trial' in everyone's mind, months maybe years before we get to the actual jury trial. It has tried my/our patience and is very trying weekly, what with the decomp/pizza/potato/squirrel smell, hammer time, GJ, many motions and, the depos. Twists and turns.

Everyone associated with this case is either being accused, suspected, getting maligned, slimed, threatened, lawyering up, quitting, working pro bono, working for licensing fees, profiting from Caylee's name. $$$s, $$$'s and, $$$'s.

I do believe that the justice system is the same as it always was but it is being tested and tried, it does make a mockery of the justice system, makes justice for Caylee a challenge and, creates a circus.

Poor Caylee. The perp has so many rights and a dream team willing to try every trick in the book to eliminate evidence and testimony and confuse the jury pool and, the victim has to rely on faith that witnesses and the jury will do the right thing.
I disagree with some of what you say.
I am waiting for the trial because that is where the evidence is all revealed in context and put together to tell a story. So until the trial actually start, I have no idea if the trial will abuse our justice system and change my view on it.

If we want to look at the pieces and parts I would fault the media, the sunshine laws,many of the players and the public at large for the mockery and circus this case has become. But those pieces and parts are most definitely not her trial, and that is a very important distinction.

We all have the same rights as criminals so i will not turn my nose up at any of them. If KC needs them to be afforded a proper trial and ultimately a conviction that sticks, that works for me. The rights of Caylee are being honored by bringing the hopefully guilty murderer to justice.

All the would be money makers on this case wouldn't make any money if the public at large didn't buy any goods or subscribe to any services or fall into the drama surrounding the family. The magazines with Cindy on the front wouldn't keep putting her on the front if no one bothered to read them. Supply and demand. The public demands all the nitty gritty dirty laundry and someone supplies it. If the lawyers end up making money because they were on TV 24/7..so be it. they had to invest that money in payroll, office supplies, computers, e and o insurance, and a whole lot of overhead;. So even if they don't charge their client, they still gotta pay the bills. maybe it pays off for them and maybe it doesn't. Don't know. I wouldn't hire any of them and that is the ultimate power that any of us have over any of this.

Changed? Not necessarily, but it's underlined many of the unfortunate deficits of our less than perfect system. The delays and Baez et al's whole blame the cops and any/every one else approach are disgusting and don't do anything to repair my faith in our system which I feel is becoming ever more unjust...particularly toward victims and society as a whole. Whenever I hear someone rave about what a great justice sytem we have, I picture KC who says she misplaced or "lost" her child who and gets months and years to play with the media, and mock us all. IMO, we don't have the best justice system in the world...not even close. Too much, too often, our system is laugable, unfocused, undisciplined, vastly inequitable to victims. Seems we've institutionalized 'justice delayed is justice denied.'

Changed? Not necessarily, but it's underlined many of the unfortunate deficits of our less than perfect system. The delays and Baez et al's whole blame the cops and any/every one else approach are disgusting and don't do anything to repair my faith in our system which I feel is becoming ever more unjust...particularly toward victims and society as a whole. Whenever I hear someone rave about what a great justice sytem we have, I picture KC who says she misplaced or "lost" her child who and gets months and years to play with the media, and mock us all. IMO, we don't have the best justice system in the world...not even close. Too much, too often, our system is laugable, unfocused, undisciplined, vastly inequitable to victims. Seems we've institutionalized 'justice delayed is justice denied.'
Laura Ling and Euna Lee might feel differently right about now. :innocent:

oh, yeah! the Trial!
um, when is it? has the truth changed yet?

Laura Ling and Euna Lee might feel differently right about now. :innocent:

Bet Caylee Anthony and Nicole Simpson get what I'm sayin. Just because there is worse, doesn't mean what we've got here is working. American justice has become a sick game.

It's just moving tooo slow for me! I want her out of protective custody and for her to get a good look at how she's going to spend her remaining days. This is the first case that I've really followed closely (kids have all grown up) and it's the delays and extensions that are driving me bonkers. I believe we have a good system, but it needs to be greased to help it move along faster!

At this rate, with the motions being filed by the defense every day, the trial will begin, let's see.... October 17th, 2019!!!!!!!!!!!

America used to be the defense had a right to a fair and speedy trial.

What I am soooo confused about is this: Jose is fine with KC sitting in jail until the trial when she claims innocence? Doesn't hold water for me. Makes no sense.

They can cry "she's safe there" from whatever danger they claim she's in - but I don't see CA and GA in any type of protective custody and they seem to be faring just fine.

ALSO - me thinks that KC's jail; life is quite kushy - I am betting she has access to television, internet (through Jose) and we all know that her account balance is ALWAYS at $500 thanks to those who keep donating to her.

In the meantime, it makes me so VIOLENTLY ill to think of poor baby Caylee - discarded like trash - and the person who is the ONLY (please read ONLY) suspect is living each day, breathing each day, eating bon bons and reading without a care in the world - no bills, no money worries, health care covered, sleeping whenever she feels like it, showering whenever she feels like it... just seems to me it's so UNFAIR. And that is why I voted that I think our system continues to go downhill - OJ started it, KC is now thriving on it - and the taxpayers of Florida are paying every single day this "Pre trial" state drags on - with every new motion filed by JB and every continuance that is ordered.

I didn't vote 'cause I haven't quite made up my mind. But, one thing is for sure, all the antics sure turn my stomach.

If there wasn't so much public interest in this case the trial would have been held already without all the motions and grandstanding by the attorneys. It really doesn't matter to me. Casey is sitting in jail now, she'll be sitting in prison after the trial. It's not like she's out enjoying life.

The Anthony trial hasn't changed my views of the legal system but the way that Casey's parents keep getting off the hook for some of the things they do and say amazes me.

For most murder trials it will take at least a year to get to trial, unless the defendant cops a plea. And the more complex the case, the longer till trial. The defense has a right to a speedy trial, that is true. But in a murder trial, for the defense the more delays the better.

From a defense perspective, the defendant is innocent until proven guilty. So even though she is sitting in jail, she isn't in prison yet. And she is still innocent. The longer the case waits to go to trial, the more likely that evidence might be lost, officers might leave the employ of the LE, the more witnesses will forget. So yeah, the delays benefit the defense.

FWIW the longest I think I have ever seen a trial delayed is something like 4 or 5 years. But that one was really unusual. The usual is about 1 year till trial, maybe a year and a half to two years. I know that the trial is scheduled for something like Oct, but I don't really expect the trial until after the first of the year. Oct. is the prelim, the defense will probably ask for a continuance. The first continuance's are usually granted. There will be conflicts with 'experts' schedules, defense schedules, state schedules, court schedules and etc. But it will get here eventually.

In the meantime, as long as KC isn't allowed out on a home monitor I will be perfectly happy. To me, her actions have made be believe she is guilty. The trial will be just a confirmation of that. She is actually doing "hard time." She went from being a "party girl" to almost total isolation. She went from being able to manipulate her parents to get what she wanted, to being given 3 meals (of their choice) a day then ignored. She went from a sexually active young woman, to a cell abiding loner. She went from makeup and sexy outfits to scrubs and a few showers a week. She cannot shop, text, or flirt. Her only entertainment is books and a radio. She knows that any visits she gets will end up on national TV. And she is constantly being watched.

In prison unless she ends up on death row she will be given a job, library, access to church, to classes to various things to keep her busy and out of trouble. She will very possibly have a cell mate and find a girlfriend. If she ends up on death row, she will still be able to bring in a TV, radio and things like that. She will be able to have visitors and they won't be taped. So as far as restrictions go, lol she is in the most restrictive environment.

Since she is not out on bond, since she is not sitting at home baking brownie's I can live with the wait.

I do however worry about JB. I do fear he is incompentent. And I do worry that that incompentence will give an opening for appealable issues. But most of the things don't make me angry anymore. Look at them, look at JB, look at the A's as entertainment value- an issue off to the side from Justice For Caylee. Justice For Caylee will come, no matter what antics they cook up. They just keep it interesting.

It's the same system as it has always been (that's how I voted). What I do find fascinating are the Florida Sunshine laws. I'm not sure if it is a help or hinderance to either side. Also, this rotating judge thing is crazy. Strickland is already familiar with this case and now some other judge will have to come up to speed before the trial? I do like cameras in the courtroom because once in court, it's all a matter of public record anyway.

FWIW the longest I think I have ever seen a trial delayed is something like 4 or 5 years. But that one was really unusual. The usual is about 1 year till trial, maybe a year and a half to two years. ...

Two words: Charles Ng. I think it was something like 12 years before he went to trial? He played the system like a fine tuned guitar. There was another country involved in his case (extradition from Canada), but still, his delay tactics worked for him.

Much like Ng, KC could use some of the same tactics. A huge one for delay would be firing her attorneys JB and/or AL just prior to October.

I didn't vote because I'm not registered to criticize your legal system :)
OJ's murder verdict really shook the foundations of my belief in your legal system to be totally honest. I think the whole world probably went crazy with disbelief on that one truth be told. Because of that, you get people like me obsessing from afar, on cases like Caylee's.
The A's aren't celebrities though, they're just infamous for their dysfunctions. They're surrounded by quasi legal celebrities who've glommed on to the case for some ulterior motive that has nothing to do with justice or innocence or even guilt. As a result, KC is receiving more preferential treatment than she ever would as a poor fat woman of colour IMO.
I look at Orlando LE and the FBI who've worked so hard and with such class on this case and can only say good, good things about them. My opinion of defense attorneys has declined since this case, but they're only a part of any legal system and not a reflection on any one country. I still have great faith truth and justice will win the day in this case.

Two words: Charles Ng. I think it was something like 12 years before he went to trial? He played the system like a fine tuned guitar. There was another country involved in his case (extradition from Canada), but still, his delay tactics worked for him.

Much like Ng, KC could use some of the same tactics. A huge one for delay would be firing her attorneys JB and/or AL just prior to October.

He was eligible for the DP and it was my legal system that delayed that one. Canada is a very humane place:D We don't sentence them to death no matter how many people they murder or children they rape. We parole them too. :banghead:

The OJ trial did a complete number on me. However, this trial has two very positive things going for it - the prosecutors and the judge. I believe that JS has total control of his courtroom and will not allow it to become the circus the OJ trial was. Also, based on what we've heard from the prosecutors thus far, I would say justice is in good hands.

This particular case has not changed my view of our Justice System....in fact it may have strengthened it.

I pray for a plea, as much as I pray for the truth from this waste of skin. Perhaps her "sobbing" at the last hearing is telling.....telling us that there will be. She'll still get all of the attention that the trial will bring, but come 'somewhat clean' near the end????? I have faith in JS and what LE and the FBI have done to date and still hold out for fingerprints on the duct tape or something....... I want the Trial to begin tomorrow so we can hopefully have some questions asked. Until then, I have to give two big huge thumbs up to all of the great men and women that have done what they have done for this sweet, two year old child.

It is as it has always been...a legal system, not a justice system.

Don't have a problem with the criminial stuff so far, but my view of the civil process has changed-I am disappointed about Judge R's decision to be reverent to KC's murder trial. IMO, it is not before his court, but ZG is before his court and asking him to apply the law in her case. Whether you agree the civil case is a solid suit or not, anyone that brings suit should also get their justice dispensed, even if it means he dismisses her case. Note that Judge S. has no problem giving AH her justice as soon as possible.

Is it right that KC gets to not only hurt everyone that she knows (by lying if not murdering), but is allowed to continue to harm people she doesn't even know, that did not wish to be involved in her life? Just because she faces death does not mean others should be compelled to give a carp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717