A question for all our WS posters...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Miss Daisey said:
We don't have children living at home so I wouldn't worry about that if we took in strangers. I'd consider taking in an elderly couple...maybe two couples...or a Mom with young children....until other living arrangements could be made for them....for say; a few months?

Better still, I liked Franklin Grahams suggestion that each church "adopt" 10 families and make a combined effort to supply food, shelter, get the kids in school and help parents find jobs to eventually be self supporting again.

It's such a difficult question. We all want so much to just be able to DO something besides donate money.

I agree with posters w/children who are afraid to bring strangers into their homes. I wouldn't do that either...under any circumstances. And the elderly couple(s) or the Mom would have to be drug free and no weapons to live w/me. And it would help if they're a lot older than me. :) That is to say; I'd want to be completly in control of such an arrangement before I'd feel comfortable bringing strangers into my home...even for a short time.
There are 3400 churches within 100 miles of where I am now. If they each took in 10 people that would make a huge difference. That is a great idea and I am going to pass it along to a talk show friend of mine to pose to his listeners. After all, this is very close to what organized religion should be about, caring for your fellow man, whatever your belief...mpi

Beyond Belief said:
Be careful, that sounds inviting! You might end up with a houseful. LOL
Well, I grew up in a family of seven children, so a houseful doesn't bother me so much. Anyone I took in would have to be somewhat self reliant, though. I might could help in some areas, but I don't have time to nurture anyone, and I'm somewhat of a recluse when I am home. All I have is some extra space and the feeling I want to help a little if I can...mpi

An idea I had for Marstan, and others with room available - have you thought about volunteering at the nearest shelter? That way you can help, and also see if maybe there is someone you would feel comfortable with inviting into your home. If so, great - that's one more family out of the shelter, that much more room for the rest of them. If not - you are still helping out by volunteering there.

CyberLaw said:
I don't know what "diseases" you are talking about.

There has been some case of "water borne" illness(treated with anti-biotic) that is from contaminated food and water.

But it is passed on by containated food and water.

Once people are given the proper medical care, CLEAN food and CLEAN water, any illness should clear up.

So I don't think kids have to worry about "passing" on diseases to each other.

There is enough "germs" at school for every one to get sick anyways

I am more concerned about a child's mental health and trying to give them somewhat of a normal existance and back in school.

Of course children pass "germs" back and forth while in school. But when you put that many people together coming from such squalid conditions you would think there's a distinct chance of communicable disease. The good news is that so far the CDC is not reporting any typhoid, cholera, etc.

Magnum PI said:
Well, I grew up in a family of seven children, so a houseful doesn't bother me so much. Anyone I took in would have to be somewhat self reliant, though. I might could help in some areas, but I don't have time to nurture anyone, and I'm somewhat of a recluse when I am home. All I have is some extra space and the feeling I want to help a little if I can...mpi
you also have a very big heart. :)

I myself have considered it, but then since they're now bringing 10,000 people up to Michigan, I'm not positive I could get Mr. Pook to agree. I only have a twin bed/small room to offer, and we only have one bathroom in our house. And I could probably get them a job where I work, plus, two Universities in the area are offering free tuition for those displaced students. And while I would want some type of screening process, I also realize that these folks have gone thru too much already to be insulted by this (as I probably would.)

But I could probably only stand it for about 2 weeks time. I can only act normal for so long in front of strangers.

Locally, some of our hotels in the 'burbs are starting to accept families and also asking for clothing donations.

Sassygerl said:
Of course children pass "germs" back and forth while in school. But when you put that many people together coming from such squalid conditions you would think there's a distinct chance of communicable disease. The good news is that so far the CDC is not reporting any typhoid, cholera, etc.

that is good news Sass... and I agree with you... I would not want to take a chance on passing something like typhoid on to my child by having evacuees in my home.. risks are too great I for one would never say you were wrong for erring on the side of caution.. our kids are too important.

Pook said:
I myself have considered it, but then since they're now bringing 10,000 people up to Michigan, I'm not positive I could get Mr. Pook to agree. I only have a twin bed/small room to offer, and we only have one bathroom in our house. And I could probably get them a job where I work, plus, two Universities in the area are offering free tuition for those displaced students. And while I would want some type of screening process, I also realize that these folks have gone thru too much already to be insulted by this (as I probably would.)

But I could probably only stand it for about 2 weeks time. I can only act normal for so long in front of strangers.
Locally, some of our hotels in the 'burbs are starting to accept families and also asking for clothing donations.

LOL! Me,too!!

Details said:
An idea I had for Marstan, and others with room available - have you thought about volunteering at the nearest shelter? That way you can help, and also see if maybe there is someone you would feel comfortable with inviting into your home. If so, great - that's one more family out of the shelter, that much more room for the rest of them. If not - you are still helping out by volunteering there.
To take this thought just a bit different. What about the voulunteers who are there, who is taking care of them. Could it be that someone with room and the means offer to have some volunteers stay with them in their home. Does that make sense. I live in Indiana. I like so many would love to help. I have donated money and plan to do that as often as I can. Our Church may send a group to help rebuild. My husband has a weeks vacation that he would love to take and help. One of my thoughts was, who would take care of him? These volunters will need food and shelter also. Maybe that is an option. Finding a local church who has people comming from out of state to help that you could give a bed to for a few days here and there.
Just a thought.
Personally, I would love to help by taking in a couple of small children, even infants. But that is my heart talking.

Details said:
Thank you for the idea Details. I have for years volunteered my time with children in foster care whose parents were at the local shelter to undergo drug treatment or who were homeless. I went to the shelter, helped supervise visitations, etc., but at no time was I able to determine the actual history for each and every person who was staying at the shelter. I met very nice, personable people, they tug at my heart, but that does not make them safe people that I would invite to live in my home with me and my children (child now).

How many people, adults and children, have been injured or killed by someone they "thought they knew" when in fact they may have just met them? Too many in my thoughts, perhaps that is why I am a member of WS and donate my time and efforts into child advocacy.

I would take children without parents in a heartbeat. Not that they can't create havock but at least I would feel I had more ability to control the situation. Of course, I am a strict parent, so maybe they wouldn't want to live with me! :blowkiss:

Actually, children without parents might be possible - I heard that there were lots of cases of families getting broken up, since the buses ended up going to different places - one shelter with a ton of children, and no parents for them, etc. With a child, you'd probably only be giving it a home until it's parents could be located, but I'm sure they'd love to be out of the shelters. OTOH, they're probably a lot more careful about letting a child go out to someone else's home out of the shelters.

I would hope they would be careful before placing any child with a stranger - I would want them to be very careful.

Question-

I know they have refrigerated trucks and are starting to identify bodies. But what will they do with all those bodies? Plus you have bodies from the graveyards. My understanding is you can't bury underground in New Orleans anyway. Will they cremate them. Move them to mass graves somewhere? If people couldn't afford to evacuate they certainly can't now afford body transport and funerals.

tipper said:
Question-

I know they have refrigerated trucks and are starting to identify bodies. But what will they do with all those bodies? Plus you have bodies from the graveyards. My understanding is you can't bury underground in New Orleans anyway. Will they cremate them. Move them to mass graves somewhere? If people couldn't afford to evacuate they certainly can't now afford body transport and funerals.

My father in law died in 2001. He donated his body to medical research at Tulane Hospital. These bodies are in the morgue area, a basement I think. I think he's probably floating around in the water, and I can't ask my hubby what he thinks because I am hoping he hasn't thought of this possibility. But I am horrified.

tipper said:
Question-

I saw a documentory the other night about the Hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. Of the 37,000 residents, 6,000 were killed and I believe they said that they had a mass cremation due to health concerns.

Of course now in the 21st century we have options that weren't available at that period of time.

I never knew until I saw that show how influential Galveston once was, and how beautiful the homes and hotels were. They referred to it as "once the Riveria of the USA"

kgeaux said:
My father in law died in 2001. He donated his body to medical research at Tulane Hospital. These bodies are in the morgue area, a basement I think. I think he's probably floating around in the water, and I can't ask my hubby what he thinks because I am hoping he hasn't thought of this possibility. But I am horrified.
Why are you horrified? He probably was of sound mind or whatever when he did it, and he probably also knew that they wouldn't be dressing him for dinner, so to speak, each night. He knew he could be disected and worse. Remember that song by John Prine "Please don't bury me under that cold, cold ground. No, I'd rather have them cut me up, and pass me all around" ... I have kids, and they know, and are ok with the fact that I will be cremated after they have harvested anything worth saving from my body. I know this is hard for most, but this is quickly becoming the best solution. I worked for a funeral home during my last year of High School. I actually worked there about a year and a half...this is a tough subject, I know...mpi

Magnum PI said:
Why are you horrified? He probably was of sound mind or whatever when he did it, and he probably also knew that they wouldn't be dressing him for dinner, so to speak, each night. He knew he could be disected and worse. Remember that song by John Prine "Please don't bury me under that cold, cold ground. No, I'd rather have them cut me up, and pass me all around" ... I have kids, and they know, and are ok with the fact that I will be cremated after they have harvested anything worth saving from my body. I know this is hard for most, but this is quickly becoming the best solution. I worked for a funeral home during my last year of High School. I actually worked there about a year and a half...this is a tough subject, I know...mpi
harvest & cremation for me too! Ya can't take it with ya! I wish more people would donate their organs

Linda7NJ said:
harvest & cremation for me too! Ya can't take it with ya! I wish more people would donate their organs
I've got my dot on my drivers license to donate organs. Cremation is for me too.

All of my family wishes are the same and we all know what to do. Advance directives do no good if you get snuffed somewhere where your doctor or HMO doesn't have the info.

In MA, we have a little heart instead of a dot.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pklav69
Back