A Thought

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Supposedly, he has lost most of his wealth, (except for the profits from writing books on JonBenet), and the odds of him ever going to prison are practically zilch, so why is he still lawyered up? He has lived his life in a cocoon, surrounded by lawsuits, threats of lawsuits, and lawyers jumping on every little thing. If this had been all PR, there would be no need for this anymore. Observing him in the years since PR's death has been interesting, because he acts exactly the same-even still throwing suspicion at FW. IDK what happened that night and the next day as far as anybody sticking to a script, but since then, JR has stuck like glue to his script. all moo
Maybe his not changing his story indicates honesty.

I don't think that. I think his motivation for sticking to a story is not based on the truth, but that the facts out there haven't changed. Even if someone else, e.g. PR, did it, it doesn't make him look any less guilty. If PR DI and he helped cover it up, it certainly wouldn't be good for him to let it be known. I don't see how he could suddenly relax b/c the real killer is dead.

You brought up an interesting point...the role JR played in PR and her family's finances. Didn't her father work for JR? and even had a corporate apartment in Boulder? If JR went down, what would they all do for money? Maybe PR's loyalty to her family played a part in certain motivations.
also, both sisters and their husbands worked for JR before the move to CO. were they still working for him in Dec '96?
Also, I have to ask---has anyone speculated that Patsy could have USED Jr's Israeli-wool sweater to wipe the blood from JB? Was that sweater found and carefully tested to see if it could have been used that way, anyone know? Because those fibers are what have me convinced JR was there for the cleanup, but if he wasn't, and his sweater was used to wipe her....another form of 'insurance' against JR? Or another 'lucky break' that confused that night all the more for investigators?
LHP said PR/the kids were the ones who stepped out of their clothing/shoes and left them everywhere (along with toys/books and whatever they used in the kitchen). she said JR always put his clothing in the laundry chute which emptied into the basement, and the only thing she ever picked up after him was one pair of shoes/one time

You brought up an interesting point...the role JR played in PR and her family's finances. Didn't her father work for JR? and even had a corporate apartment in Boulder? If JR went down, what would they all do for money? Maybe PR's loyalty to her family played a part in certain motivations. Which makes me think of the $118,000 bonus. According to JR and PR both, she wasn't told about the bonus. So, considering that PR's father worked with JR, JR not telling her has other implications. Did her father know about the bonus? Should he have gotten a cut? If he didn't, did he feel double crossed? And the reason I'm wondering is because of the ransom note...1st of all, it's my strong opinion that PR wrote it, so going with that, the money, specifically the bonus amount was very important and front and center in her thoughts. And there was so much anger towards JR. And she wrote, "you stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to outsmart us...you are not the only fat cat around...Don't underestimate us John". In these particular lines, she sounds like she's talking about herself and some other specific person. BTW, I know it could go either way, but I tend to believe the Rs on PR not being told about the bonus. IMO, that sounds exactly like something JR would do. But whereas PR acted like she didn't really care that he hadn't told her, it's moo that when she found out, it could have caused an enormous sense of betrayal and anger. And then if we consider the betrayal and anger mixed in with loyalty to her own family, it's moo that the bonus could have been a huge problem. I know they were very wealthy, but based on the wealthy people I know, they never have as much money as they portray, and they never have access to as much as we'd think. In other words, they're not walking around with a gold card going on spending sprees. Even now, but even more so in 1996, $118,000 is/was a lot of money. moo

No, YOU bring up an interesting point that I can relate to.

My BF (live-in) just got a check for $47,000 (like 8 months' salary for him) as a second distribution from his deceased brother's estate (He doesn't know I saw the check by accident---I swear, by accident). Now, my BF is not happy or proud to be getting that money--he'd rather have his brother. But my BF HAS BEEN lying, saying, 'Oh, I think I have a few thousand in the bank.' (When we were discussing a home repair.)
It's not the money---I don't want his money---It's the LIE. It's the not telling me. It implies he's hiding it or doesn't trust me (btw, I don't even have a credit card and I shop at thrift stores---SO not a spender).

It makes perfect sense that passive-aggressive Patsy drops a big fat pointing finger in that note---Not only telling John that she knows he's hiding money, but it could also read as threatening to John, 'I know more than you give me credit for.' 'WE (Paughs) know all your secrets.'
Patsy had a problem with spending, right? John hiding his bonus would certainly touch a nerve if she and John had already fought about money. Wow.

VERY interesting angle. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks for this detailed post. It's the clearest one-page explanation of a plausible scenario I have seen.

One thing I don't understand is how they had time to do the staging if the initial plan was to dump the body elsewhere but PR interrupted that plan by calling 911. The RN reads like a longwinded explanation of all the reasons the Rs would sneak around and travel long distances without contacting LE or friends. So if LE found him in the woods with her body, he could say this was the arduous delivery of the ransom but the kidnappers didn't keep their word.

By calling 911 and friends, she completely hosed this scenario. The note says repeatedly they're being watched carefully and will kill her if they even suspect someone called LE or friends, yet that's the first thing she does. For this scenario, they should have written a note that says something about sexual fantasies about killing little girls.

It appears someone took time and effort making it look like a sexual predator did it and time and effort crafting a RN that points the opposite direction. Why would they put effort into two contradictory scenarios?

JB's body was prepared to be taken out of the house, IMO with her being wrapped "like a papoose" in order to be taken out without her body leaving behind any DNA evidence in the mode of transportation. I don't think they even gave a thought to the lint fibers from the blanket being detectable and raising questions, but I would think it could be explained away easily by saying something like: "it was her favorite blanket....she took it with went we went up to see the Christmas Star...it was cold outside...maybe she thought her blanket was extra comfy and warm....we didn't want to argue with her about leaving it home....it was Christmas."

The RN had to make her death look like a crazed, kidnapping, sexual predator could have gone off the deep end and killed her. There was coverup and staging done to try to mask the chronicas well as the fresh sexual molestation of the night, IMO. If her body had been removed, everything else in the RN would have provided a reason why they ended up finding her killed, which is why I believe they originally intended to remove the body. IMO, if her body had been removed, they could have reasoned that when it was found some or even none of the signs of molestation would not have been clear, due to decomposition. But in case it was found before that happened, the staging was to include making it look as if one of the kidnappers sexually assaulted her before killing her, providing a reason (in their minds) for any signs of sexual abuse that might have been found at autopsy. I believe they assumed everything they did that night for staging purposes would portray exactly what they intended....factoring in the narcissism running through both their veins.

re your last paragraph. Exactly. A lot has been said about BR being sent off with friends, because 'what if he let something slip'? But what about PR? She was so sedated she could barely function. Weren't they scared she'd slip up? So, we have BR being allowed to go off with others, PR sedated, (remember the cnn interview?), and JR bustling around arranging flights, hiring lawyers, wanting his passports...something's not right here. I've never discounted L Arndt's testimony. She saw JR when he was at his most vulnerable and she knew something was seriously not right. For awhile now, I've been giving some theories besides an isolated rage some consideration. What if the molestation was ongoing, PR knew it and couldn't take it anymore. What if she felt that this was it, her daughter was ruined and now was the time. Enough was enough and one way or another, this was going to stop. So, maybe a rage plus some forethought. Maybe JR wasn't present during the murder, but he knew what caused it, so he jumped on board. IDK, just a theory based on the previous injuries. moo

BBM. This aspect might explain the gold bracelet. And the choice of the purple color for that Christmas, as well as the My Twinn doll. Did JB tell Patsy about the planned secret Santa visit? Was that enough to convince Patsy that Christmas would be the right time?

She could send JB off to heaven to wait for her as an angel.
She would put an end to any future suffering JB might know from the psychological damage of incest.
She could wait for St. Nick to make his appearance, and fueled by the rage it produced, not only take care of JB, but cause the most damage to JR...show him she would not stand for what he was doing to their daughter, ruin his Christmas plans with his children in Michigan (which she really didn't want to do anyway), scar him and his "other family" for that holiday forever, especially if she suspected other family incest involvement with JB.
Was the head blow forethought and prepared for as the quickest, most merciful way to end her life?
Using either JR's flashlight or one of his golf clubs would add further insult to the injury and also serve as a possible means to incriminate him.

I agree. That dictionary page thing was a deliberate move by someone in that household presumably PR. It seems likely that it was a clue.

If it was PR, did she do it after the crime as a clue for police or before to be left as a clue for JR to find? Maybe she did not expect to discover JB with him that night? And wanted him to see right away after the page was discovered that she knew what was going on, which was the reason for her murderous rage?

Or could it have been FW the morning of the 26th? Did he figure it out and want to leave a clue both for the police and possibly the rest of the family?

Either way, it had to be a purposeful clue, IMO.

It makes perfect sense that passive-aggressive Patsy drops a big fat pointing finger in that note---Not only telling John that she knows he's hiding money, but it could also read as threatening to John, 'I know more than you give me credit for.' 'WE (Paughs) know all your secrets.'
Wouldn't she find a more private venue to telegraph that she knows about his bonus?

There were many golf clubs in the basement, and even a single putter found outside the hellhole in some bushes. There were loose clubs in a basement closet (shown in the CSI video released by Kolar) and three separate golf club bags (including the one JR requested his sister-in-law to get in her "evidence roundup" so he could play golf in the dead of winter rather than have to talk to the people investigating his daughter's death). There are pictures available of all these except the putter found outside.

And there was a correction by Steve Thomas re:his book during one of his later interviews....the baseball bat with the blond hair, should have read as a golf club with a blond hair found outside.

If one person committed the murder without the knowledge of the other one, then what looks like poor planning could really just be the uninvolved one running interference and upsetting the killer's original plans. For instance, the 911...if the uninvolved one was determined the cops be called, the killer would have a hard time sticking to his/her original script. The next best thing would be calling 911 him/herself, and controlling what was reported. I've thought a lot about this theory because for the most part, JR was given a pass, but since reading about the grand jury indictment, I'm starting to see him as more involved. The GJ saw him as an equal participant right along with PR. Also, he hasn't done anything different since PR's death to clear up any suspicions. As a matter of fact, 2 years after her death, he was still throwing 'suspicion' at FW. Surely, if it was all PR, he would have stopped this particular charade? I guess what I'm getting at, is IMO, he doesn't act like an innocent bystander who was blindsided by his killer wife. Supposedly, he has lost most of his wealth, (except for the profits from writing books on JonBenet), and the odds of him ever going to prison are practically zilch, so why is he still lawyered up? He has lived his life in a cocoon, surrounded by lawsuits, threats of lawsuits, and lawyers jumping on every little thing. If this had been all PR, there would be no need for this anymore. Observing him in the years since PR's death has been interesting, because he acts exactly the same-even still throwing suspicion at FW. IDK what happened that night and the next day as far as anybody sticking to a script, but since then, JR has stuck like glue to his script. all moo

GREAT POST AND ITA!! He might possibly be willing to go through it all for Burke's sake, having made the comment that he would not be able to survive if he ever lost Burke. But the initial lawyering up to "prepare a defense for him in the event of an arrest" makes it all about JR, IMO.

Wouldn't she find a more private venue to telegraph that she knows about his bonus?

With all that she was tending to during those holidays, so many guests every few days in their house, etc, keeping the peace when she knew about him having vehement reactions (according to several witnesses stories) to unexpected crisis', might have been in the front of her mind. Also, with the big trip coming up, just might have made more sense to her to wait until things calmed down before confronting him about the bonus. Patsy also stated that she never had to be concerned about money matters, so she might have only discovered the amount very near the time of the crime.

Speaking as a female, sometimes for whatever reasons, we just cant ask outright-- especially if youre low in confidence & asking for what you expect to be a rejecting answer..

I still think DP was molesting JB. He was there for the party on the 23rd, and he sure scurried out of there on the 24th. Could JB have told PR, and that is why she was killed.
What if JB told PR that BR and DP were both molesting her?
Knowing the disgrace this would bring, would never happen if JBR was gone. Maybe PR did know exactly what happened. and she took that secret to the grave. That could have been the reason for that outrageous RN, written to make BPD think there was a kidnapping and protect the "Perfect Family". No way would PR ever want to tarnish their image to the world.
So..........was JB not feeling pretty on the 23rd a result of being sexually molested? If it was, who was the person that did it? Why would anyone leave on a stand-by flight instead of being with the family for Christmas?

And there was a correction by Steve Thomas re:his book during one of his later interviews....the baseball bat with the blond hair, should have read as a golf club with a blond hair found outside.
Yup!
BILL BICKEL
We’ve been told that the paperback will include several corrections. Anything of substance?

STEVE THOMAS
One item — page 44, a last minute mistake — ballbat with hair on it should read “golfclub with hair on it”, found outside on west side of house. ballbat found in north yard.

http://crimejusticeandamerica.com/sthomas1

Speaking as a female, sometimes for whatever reasons, we just cant ask outright-- especially if youre low in confidence & asking for what you expect to be a rejecting answer..

I understand the idea ahoyhoy, midwest mama, and you talk about that PR not feeling inclined to talk about the bonus directly. But I don't understand how that leads her to put the amt in the RN. Her reticence might make her mention it some convoluted way in passing in a private moment. This reticence should make her not mention it in a document that other people are going to read.

Not if she was dropping clues to John that he needed to get/stay on board with the coverup. That was my point, it could be a passive-aggressive threat. That she is smarter than he gives her credit for, and he'd better be careful or she'll tell all.
ALL-all.

The last lines of that note are anger at John. IMO, Patsy blamed him somewhat for what happened, no matter the scenario; whether it was John who murdered, or John and Patsy (for example--JR caught in the act molesting/PR accidentally striking JB in her shock), if it was ONLY Patsy, or Patsy or both parents covering for Burke.

Until this thread, I've never seen anyone mention that the $118,000 number may not have been a dumb rookie mistake at all (or a false 'lead' to Access Gr employees), that it could have been directed at JOHN.
'Don't go there, buddy.'

Patsy's interviews show the gentile southern lady can be a SHARK when cornered. It is an interesting angle.

ETA: This should suffice as a reply to your ^^second reply too, CircuitGuy.

Maybe his not changing his story indicates honesty.

I don't think that. I think his motivation for sticking to a story is not based on the truth, but that the facts out there haven't changed. Even if someone else, e.g. PR, did it, it doesn't make him look any less guilty. If PR DI and he helped cover it up, it certainly wouldn't be good for him to let it be known. I don't see how he could suddenly relax b/c the real killer is dead.
Actually, what's out there has changed. PR died and Mary Lacy cleared him of any involvement, so really, there has been no need to continue the lifestyle of someone under an umbrella of suspicion. That is, if he really was not involved or was just an innocent bystander. (which I don't believe, but that's beside the point). moo Him continuing to maintain his lawyered up lifestyle is what I find interesting.

No, YOU bring up an interesting point that I can relate to.

My BF (live-in) just got a check for $47,000 (like 8 months' salary for him) as a second distribution from his deceased brother's estate (He doesn't know I saw the check by accident---I swear, by accident). Now, my BF is not happy or proud to be getting that money--he'd rather have his brother. But my BF HAS BEEN lying, saying, 'Oh, I think I have a few thousand in the bank.' (When we were discussing a home repair.)
It's not the money---I don't want his money---It's the LIE. It's the not telling me. It implies he's hiding it or doesn't trust me (btw, I don't even have a credit card and I shop at thrift stores---SO not a spender).

Patsy had a problem with spending, right? John hiding his bonus would certainly touch a nerve if she and John had already fought about money. Wow.

VERY interesting angle. Thanks for pointing it out!
We've read that PR had a problem with spending, but where exactly did that information come from? JR?? He supposedly had a problem with her habits, but really, compared to such things as airplanes and yachts, how much was she spending? IMO, it looks like he was the one with the expensive hobbies. (just saying...) She shopped, decorated the house, had JB's pageant expenses and of course her medical bills, but still... PR had her own college degree and did a lot in getting that business running, so morally anyway, part of that bonus should have been hers. moo, but it looks like she had been dismissed from the business she helped build. moo.

I understand the idea ahoyhoy, midwest mama, and you talk about that PR not feeling inclined to talk about the bonus directly. But I don't understand how that leads her to put the amt in the RN. Her reticence might make her mention it some convoluted way in passing in a private moment. This reticence should make her not mention it in a document that other people are going to read.
Maybe, but from what I saw of her personality, PR wouldn't take kindly to being shut out. What I think might have happened, is she found out about the bonus but kept the information to herself until she figured out what to do about it. So, instead of confronting JR, maybe she stewed. She might have wondered what the secrecy implied. Was JR just being stingy or did he have something up his sleeve, was he planning to divorce her, was he planning to buy another boat while at the same time putting her on an allowance? What did she get for Christmas? If it was something so-so, maybe she was disappointed because she had already found out about the bonus and was expecting more? I know they were planning a Disney cruise, but maybe she would have preferred something different...like a trip for just the 2 of them to Hawaii or something. IDK, but IMO, if he kept the bonus from her, (and they both said he did), ooh, that might have stung. moo

I still think DP was molesting JB. He was there for the party on the 23rd, and he sure scurried out of there on the 24th. Could JB have told PR, and that is why she was killed.
What if JB told PR that BR and DP were both molesting her?
Knowing the disgrace this would bring, would never happen if JBR was gone. Maybe PR did know exactly what happened. and she took that secret to the grave. That could have been the reason for that outrageous RN, written to make BPD think there was a kidnapping and protect the "Perfect Family". No way would PR ever want to tarnish their image to the world.
So..........was JB not feeling pretty on the 23rd a result of being sexually molested? If it was, who was the person that did it? Why would anyone leave on a stand-by flight instead of being with the family for Christmas?

I may be all wet on this but I believe Nedra was back at the Paugh's primary residence in Georgia. There were two other daughters besides Patsy, plus grandchildren by daughter Paulette (Polly), all of whom lived in Georgia. I don't see it particularly odd that Don Paugh would want to fly home to Georgia to be with his wife and see the other daughters and grandchildren for Christmas. His living quarters in Colorado were not the primary residence plus the Ramseys were going to be leaving on the 26th.

Not if she was dropping clues to John that he needed to get/stay on board with the coverup. That was my point, it could be a passive-aggressive threat. That she is smarter than he gives her credit for, and he'd better be careful or she'll tell all.
ALL-all.

The last lines of that note are anger at John. IMO, Patsy blamed him somewhat for what happened, no matter the scenario; whether it was John who murdered, or John and Patsy (for example--JR caught in the act molesting/PR accidentally striking JB in her shock), if it was ONLY Patsy, or Patsy or both parents covering for Burke.

Until this thread, I've never seen anyone mention that the $118,000 number may not have been a dumb rookie mistake at all (or a false 'lead' to Access Gr employees), that it could have been directed at JOHN.
'Don't go there, buddy.'

Patsy's interviews show the gentile southern lady can be a SHARK when cornered. It is an interesting angle.

ETA: This should suffice as a reply to your ^^second reply too, CircuitGuy.

BBM. By the time she did that infamous interview including the knee slapping, she obviously had her story well gelled with John's. And, she wasn't heavily sedated like she was in the first interviews.

I tend to agree, given the supporting comments from LHP and a couple of others, that Patsy could turn on a dime emotionally, if needed. Also, with the threat of stage IV ovarian cancer buried inside, being at the very least, "edgy", would be understandable.

If the $118K reference wasn't an ID marker to the biblical reference which was significant to PR, then I would agree it was a signal to JR (which I think it was) from PR to let him know she wasn't going to be messed with any longer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back