a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Praying for strength for the family, TRUE victims of domestic violence, & all of us who have become so emotionally involved.

twitter went silent...media was just let into the court room

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 30s

Juror 5 tri color just went into courtroom #JodiArias

First post on websleuths. Prayers for the Alexander family. May justice be served. Ty KCL for your fantastic reporting. May the jurors have the strength to have done the right thing.

Beth Karas ‏@BethKaras 13s

Dismissed juror #5 just walked into the courtroom. Engineers and camera operators are now inside. #Jodiarias

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 46s

Juror 5 tri color just went into courtroom #JodiArias

Not even front page news on CNN.

10 minutes to justice. So nervous. God bless the beautiful Alexanders. May their brother finally rest in peace.

CNN has this live on TV too- if Nancy is too much for you.

FYI

Beth Karas ‏@BethKaras 32s

Media and general public are still in the hall outside the courtroom.

People around the world are holding hands, encircling Travis' family as we wait for justice

I'm in he courtroom w the famiky

So glad your there for family, KCL. You are a godsend.

Having trouble with WS website. Probably high traffic.

PASA is unable to watch or hear verdict, so I am texting her updates constantly. I owe her that much, and more. :)

JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tis 1:30... they must be doping up JA so she doesn't show her true colors to the jury before mitigation and sentencing, imo.

WTH? Bethany Marshall on HLN: " Each juror has identified with a player in this case, those who have had a cruel father feel like they are aligned against Juan Martinez...." SERIOUSLY ------------> Where do they find these talking heads?????

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 59s

In the courtroom now. It's packed like salmons in here. No attorneys in here yet #JodiArias

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 1m

In the courtroom now. It's packed like salmons in here. No attorneys in here yet #JodiArias

Prayers to the Alexander family. What a logistical nightmare for the Court personnel trying to get everyone in and seated.

Some close friends who are prosecutors say that when the Jury comes in, if they do not look at them (prosecutors) it is a bad sign for guilty verdict. I am sure Juan knows the feeling and he and Flores will be watching them closely!

This is all so surreal to me. In 1994, after Simpson murdered Nicole and Ron Goldman, I was close with Nicole's family. During the horrible time after the murder, I spent a lot of time traveling from Texas to Orange County to spend with them. Once the trial started, I spent more time there than at home, trying to support them in any way that I possibly could throughout that miserable, bizarre circus.

Sitting through that trial for them and for the Goldmans was 9 months of pure torture. All the while they were trying as hard as humanly possible to provide as "normal" as possible, as private as possible a childhood for Nicole's precious, forever traumatized children.

There were *SO* many things wrong with that trial but they held out hope and remained strong and faithful. Trying to read the jury was an exercise in futility. There was so much mind-numbing evidence, but so much undeniable clear-cut evidence of his guilt. There was certainly a great deal of worry about how his celebrity could influence that jury selected in the stumpheaded move to try the case downtown.

In the end, the Judge had said that when the jury had reached a verdict, everyone would be given 4 hours to assemble in the courtroom for the reading of the verdict.

Not knowing in advance the glacial pace at which the trial would move, people had made prior commitments, thinking that the trial would be long over.

As things turned out, I was traveling with Nicole's sister to a prior engagement planned months before. We had left LA just after closing arguments to attend a Domestic Violence Awareness Month march and fundraising seminar halfway across the country, planning to return the next day.

NO ONE in their wildest imagination, on either side, EVER expected that jury to NOT to take some reasonable amount of time to examine 9 MONTHS worth of very complex evidence and at least discuss it before coming to a verdict, one way or another.

We landed at our destination, participated in the march and checked into our hotel room to begin getting ready for the dinner. About 15 minutes later, the phone rang. It was her Dad, Lou, telling her that the jury was back with a verdict. ::::: deafening silence:::::: WHAT??? It was dumbfounding, unbelievable, was he mistaken, was it a rumor.....surely not.....I was only overhearing one end of the convo but I knew what it was about.

They were back in less than 4 hours??? What did this mean??? We had had plenty of reason to be suspicious or leery of some or all of the jurors at different points in the trial but, damn, if they came back this fast, that means....they DIDN'T BUY IT!! OMG, they must have thrown out all of the crap that they heard and LOOKED at the undeniable evidence and found him GUILTY! We were so hesitant to feel anything for sure but it was so hard not to at least anticipate feeling relief, validation, and admittedly rejoicing inside.

But we had a BIG problem. We were half-way across the country at 8pm. The quickest direct flight took 4 hours and 15 minutes just airport to airport, not counting time from hotel to courthouse. We would never make it in time. We frantically made arrangements to take the final flight of the night out to LA, packed and made calls and watched everything on TV while waiting for the flight. So weird.

Things at the courthouse were getting really, really crazy. Judge Ito got very concerned as this was not long after the LA riots so he decided to put off the reading of the verdict until the next day so that he could make sure that there were more security, police and National Guard troops in place in the city. We were going to make it after all!!

The Brown and Goldman families were absolutely devastated by that joke of a verdict, and most of the country was stunned, angered and disillusioned with the court system. It took me personally many years to heal from the experience. I can't bear to see his face on TV, especially as HLN has been playing footage of his cheshire cat grin over and over again the past few days.

I wrote all of this to say that I BELIEVE in THIS jury, a FAST verdict to assuage an impatient public means nothing. Scott Peterson took 7 days to serve up a 1st degree Death penalty. *I* am willing to wait for a thoughtful, considerate, thorough jury to provide Justice for Travis and his lovely Family.

WTH? Bethany Marshall on HLN: " Each juror has identified with a player in this case, those who have had a cruel father feel like they are aligned against Juan Martinez...." SERIOUSLY ------------> Where do they find these talking heads?????

Do what I do... IGNORE unless it's Beth Kara's!!

Nancy Grace brought me to tears today though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Eric