Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #176

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI tonight on CWTV channel, a new show called "Crime Nation" is starting off with, "A Town Torn Apart by Murder" on Delphi. The show is listed as 2 hours, not sure if it's all about Delphi.

If we are going to focus on protocol, then we need to apply it across the board. Defense needs to abide by the gag order. Prosecution need to file their motions in the correct manner. Defense needs to not share crime scene photos or at the very least follow a protocol to have them safely and properly stored. Prosecution would have needed to follow the protocol for providing those photos/discovery in a timely manner.
We can't cry about protocol in some instances and not others. "Oh the prosecution failed protocol in filing a document, but when the defense basically left crime scene photos strewn about every which way that's ok because they didn't mean to".
What hasn't the State supplied to the Defense? They had all the CS photos at the time when they crafted their Memo in support of a Franks Hearing. The D referenced the photos in horrendous detail in the Memo and also referenced 3 evidentiary pictures of the bullet.

The Defense didn't just leave CS photos and discovery documents out and about, they willingly shared access with MW and who knows who else, as admitted by their own words.

What motions filed by the Prosecution were not in the correct manner? Speaking of filing notices and motions the Defense called the State Prosecutor 'Nicholas C. Leland' in all 5 requests for Defense Witness Motions in their upcoming hearing in March. Come on guys, you can't even get the Prosecution's name correct? It's your job.

Comparing the State and Defense in their manner of filing notices and motions is like comparing apples and oranges.

MOO

That is not part of RA's trial. confusingly the information is filed into the same proceedings, which may or may not be how they do things in that jurisdiction.

It's odd to me that a month has gone by and they haven't rescheduled the trial
Are they planning to reschedule? Is the October trial cancelled?

I wish the investigators would have explained how the cartridge got from the bridge to the murder scene.
I'm not gun savvy at all.

The first link is direct or you can find it in the linked article.

MOTION FOR LEAVE OF COURT TO SUBPOENA THIRD-PARTYRECORDS
Filed April 20, 2023
Pg 6 [snip]
"Investigators believe Richard M. Allen committed this kidnapping which resulted in the killing of Victim 1 and Victim 2. From their prior conclusions investigators believe Richard M. Allen was the male depictedin Victim 2s video saying, “Guys, Down the hill.” They ‘believe Richard M. Allen was carrying his Sig Sauer Model P26 on that day due to the cycled ‘round matching that firearm was located within feet of Victim 2’s body. They further believe he was carrying the Sig Sauer Model P226 from the audio from Victim 2’s video in which investigators believe they hear the sound of a gun being cycled and one of the victims ‘mentioning a “gun.” Investigators believe after that time Victim 1 and Victim 2 were removed from the bridge by Richard to where their murders occurred."

I wish the investigators would have explained how the cartridge got from the bridge to the murder scene.

Filed April 20, 2023
Pg 6 [snip]
"Investigators believe Richard M. Allen committed this kidnapping which resulted in the killing of Victim 1 and Victim 2. From their prior conclusions investigators believe Richard M. Allen was the male depictedin Victim 2s video saying, “Guys, Down the hill.” They ‘believe Richard M. Allen was carrying his Sig Sauer Model P26 on that day due to the cycled ‘round matching that firearm was located within feet of Victim 2’s body. They further believe he was carrying the Sig Sauer Model P226 from the audio from Victim 2’s video in which investigators believe they hear the sound of a gun being cycled and one of the victims ‘mentioning a “gun.” Investigators believe after that time Victim 1 and Victim 2 were removed from the bridge by Richard to where their murders occurred."
Could have been loose in his pocket or ejected from cycling the gun twice.

That is not part of RA's trial. confusingly the information is filed into the same proceedings, which may or may not be how they do things in that jurisdiction.

It's odd to me that a month has gone by and they haven't rescheduled the trial
Yes I agree, AB & BR should be keeping things separate, now that they have their own actions to defend. Is it not considered a autonomous case?

I was just wondering if within all this the contempt hearing was moved forward again? It's hard to keep it all straight sometimes.

Filed April 20, 2023
Pg 6 [snip]
He cycled at both locations. Perhaps he pocketed the first. Perhaps he lost track of the second (final crime scene) or had to leave in haste before finding it.
AMO

He cycled at both locations. Perhaps he pocketed the first. Perhaps he lost track of the second (final crime scene) or had to leave in haste before finding it.
AMO
Perhaps a silly question but I have no knowledge of guns. Why would he cycle at both locations when he didn’t even intend to use the gun? Waste of ammo no??

So the keepsake bullet found during SW was the same type as the one found at the crime scene? Perhaps it was the one he cycled at the MHB when he abducted the girls then took home as a souvenir.

Also upon reviewing the items seized during the SW, I see a miniature Katana sword with red tassel was on the list.
Has anyone discussed the anime series “One Piece” that features this sword and its Norse Mythology connection?
Would it be safe to assume RA was a consumer of this series if he possessed replica Katana sword?

Boots, knives and car carpeting: What police seized from Delphi murder suspect’s home
Boots, knives and car carpeting: What police seized from Delphi murder suspect’s home

Last edited:
RSBM - I agree

Often times a big mystery is created simply because the perp got lucky in some way.

Sometimes the body takes years to turn up. Sometimes witnesses were genuinely confused about things.
Sometimes a clue was missed or the investigation sets off on a wild goose chase.

IMO this never was very complicated. In fact it is a classic of the abduction genre. There is a case in Germany right now where an american tourist sexually assaulted 2 women on a trail, murdered one, and one survived by pure luck. He didn't know them. it was purely opportunistic.

Investigators just had to find the right guy, but that can be tough when the victims are selected via opportunity.
I’m as sure as can be that RA is Bridge Guy. Convicting him for an abduction that resulted in murder should be a slam dunk. He was on the bridge when the girls were and that’s him in the video. A brutal crime follows quickly.

But what the hell happened after “down the hill?” Was it just him all the way? Did he plan this? How were the girls controlled by one man during some bizarre acting out? Did the Antony Shots account figure in how RA knew to be there with his abduction kit? Were there others in the woods? Were they pedos or Odinists? The sticks and blood smears—what’s all that? I almost can’t imagine the scenario after “down the hill.” If I’m a juror in a DP case I want it all to make sense.

New filing (yesterday) from the Defense -
This one is the D's Response to the State re: Motion to Compel Discovery (from the D)

JMHO: Interesting assertions here regarding the process of reviewing Discovery Materials from the State the 2nd time around ... including: Some of the Discovery is new to the D. The D also believes some of the existing evidence is missing from this 2nd Discovery set.

1708450509484.png
1708450522780.png
1708450539446.png

I wonder how long a judge is allowed to sit on motions. Is six months reasonable.
Her full order is in the spoiler for people who don't want to have to read it.
I've made the following brief summary of her order for myself and to share.
Defendant's Motion for Franks Hearing and associated documents
Filed Sept. 18, Oct. 2 and Oct 3 2023
Denied on Jan 22, 2024

State's Objection to Defendant's Motion to Suppress
State's Second Objection to Defendant's Motion to Suppress (filed ) under advisement,
Filed June 13, 2023
Filed on Sept 25, 2023
Under advisement on Jan 22. 2024

Defendant's Motion to Suppress Fruits of Search of 1967 North Whiteman Drive,
Filed on May 19, 2023
Denied Jan 22, 2024

Defendant's Motion in Limine Regarding Ballistics
Filed June 13, 2023 is
Reviewed and denied without hearing on Jan 22, 2024.

Motion to Transfer (by Labrato)
Filed January 12, 2024
Taken under advisement pending the State's response, if any,
and a hearing to be set.

02/08/2024 Order Issued
Motion to Transfer (by Labrato)
Filed January 12, 2024
Denies the Motion to Transfer without hearing.
Judicial Officer:Gull, Frances -SJ
Order Signed:02/08/2024
01/22/2024Order Issued
The Court, having had defendant's Motion for Franks Hearing (filed September 18, 2023), the Memorandum in Support of the Accused's Motion for Franks Hearing (filed September 18, 2023), defendant's Supplemental Motion for Franks Hearing (filed October 2, 2023), Defendant's Additional Franks Notice (filed October 3, 2023), the State's Objection to Defendant's Motion to Suppress (filed June 13, 2023), and the State's Second Objection to Defendant's Motion to Suppress (filed September 25, 2023) under advisement, now denies the Defendant's Motion for a Franks Hearing. The Court finds the Affidavit submitted in support of the issuance of the search warrant contained information that a reasonable belief existed that evidence of the murders would be found in the defendant's home and vehicles. The Court does not find that the Affidavit submitted false statements or that the Affiant omitted statements with reckless disregard, nor does the Court find that the Affiant intended to mislead the Judge by failing to present information. As the Court has found the Affidavit for issuance of the search warrant was valid, the search itself was reasonable and legal under Indiana law and Fourth Amendment case law. Defendant's Motion to Suppress Fruits of Search of 1967 North Whiteman Drive, Delphi, IN (filed May 19, 2023) is also denied based upon all the pleadings, memorandums, and exhibits previously submitted in support of the request for a Franks hearing. Defendant's Motion in Limine Regarding Ballistics (filed June 13, 2023) is reviewed and denied without hearing. The Court finds the evidence contained in Defendant's Exhibits A and B attached to the Motion is relevant and admissible. The Court further finds the probative value of such evidence is not substantially outweighed by its prejudicial impact, and that the evidence will not confuse or mislead the jury. Defendant's Motion to Transfer (filed January 12, 2024) taken under advisement pending the State's response, if any, and a hearing to be set. State's Motion to Amend Information (filed January 18, 2024) will be set for a remote hearing.
Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ
Order Signed: 01/22/2024

BE just posted another clip from the debut of Crime Nation. It is not new info that RL's former girlfriend previously made claims about RL's abusive behavior, though, I'm still thinking about tuning in. Interested to hear if there will be any new info, but of course, being mindful that RL is no longer around to defend himself. Something's got to give? idk. my thoughts, at this time
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin
@BrianEntin

"I said Oh My God. He finally killed somebody."Tonight on the debut of Crime Nation at 8pm on @TheCW -- we hear from the former girlfriend of Ron Logan.Logan owned the property in Delphi, Indiana where the bodies of Abby Williams and Libby German were found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1