Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #191

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Post trial, are reporters etc allowed to ask the jurors about what tipped the scales in their mind towards guilt or innocence? I am unsure how post trial works in regards to this? I’d be very curious to know what deliberations went down and what their sticking points were in terms of guilt or innocence.
In the Lori and Chad daybell trials, the jurors did speak in depth with Nate Eaton afterwards. They gave really good insight into what specifically sold them on the guilty verdict. I watched them through Nate’s YouTube channel East Idaho News ( I believe he’s an approved source).

I was originally just talking about the cat hair comment. I recall the animal hair mentioned on RL SW but I didn’t see any mention of it on RAs, in the actual search warrant or the SW return with the list of collected items? Unless I’m missing it.

I would imagine that the multiple pieces of clothing, boots and carpet from RA’s Ford would be examined thoroughly for forensic evidence.
Just my opinion.
Isn’t part of the evidence of the Gilgo Beach Murder is a hair from an occupant of RH’s home?
Which leads me to another question. Is search of one’s trash require a search warrant? Or is it property of the city once collected?

I would imagine that the multiple pieces of clothing, boots and carpet from RA’s Ford would be examined thoroughly for forensic evidence.
Just my opinion.
Isn’t part of the evidence of the Gilgo Beach Murder is a hair from an occupant of RH’s home?
Which leads me to another question. Is search of one’s trash require a search warrant? Or is it property of the city once collected?
In the search warrant return (last few pages) there is a box on the right hand side that indicates which items were sent to the lab. I can see the gun, keepsake box cartridge and the carpet cutting from the car were indicated to be sent to the lab.

I’m not sure about warrants surrounding LISK. I haven’t read any of the court documents so I’m not sure what they collected from “public trash” vs what was in the warrant. I totally just assumed they got a warrant for the wife’s hair for that security. I did learn a lot from LISK about the digital aspect, how much information the FBI/LE can recover from old computers, phones, geofencing, deleted items etc. it’s been incredible to see what they’re able to recover from 20+ years ago. We need that level of forensic investigation over here.

In the search warrant return (last few pages) there is a box on the right hand side that indicates which items were sent to the lab. I can see the gun, keepsake box cartridge and the carpet cutting from the car were indicated to be sent to the lab.

I’m not sure about warrants surrounding LISK. I haven’t read any of the court documents so I’m not sure what they collected from “public trash” vs what was in the warrant. I totally just assumed they got a warrant for the wife’s hair for that security. I did learn a lot from LISK about the digital aspect, how much information the FBI/LE can recover from old computers, phones, geofencing, deleted items etc. it’s been incredible to see what they’re able to recover from 20+ years ago. We need that level of forensic investigation over here.
So is it your opinion they collected 10-20 pieces of clothing and personal accessories from RA’s home and did not send them to be examined?

So is it your opinion they collected 10-20 pieces of clothing and personal accessories from RA’s home and did not send them to be examined?
It’s not my opinion - Its what the search warrant return says. If you scroll down to the end you can see which ones were marked as sent to the lab. Ill screenshot the pages with the items sent for lab exam

763A1425-06A7-461B-A6DC-238604743E31.jpeg

61B5CB27-9067-4FC9-B68B-B6BA7960C6DA.jpeg
6E54EA6C-2ECD-47B7-BE31-890AB33E97E8.jpeg

Just my opinion.

If it’s on the street, it’s fair game.

Just my opinion.

Once DNA is on items that are "discarded" in a public place, they are open to warrantless collection. Trash in a suspects own trash bins is a little bit of its own category because at what point is it technically discarded or abandoned?

I believe there was at least one case where person's lawyers argued that the bins were not yet put out by the street, therefore they were still a protected type of evidence. But in general - once you get rid of something in a public place, police can take it.

Warrantless collection has been upheld many times in courts but the main problem is showing chain of custody.

Edit to say- there is a case local to me where a guy suspected of serial rapes was under surveillance and they saw him smoke a cigarette outside a Target and throw the butt away. They collected it and used that to build their case (genetic genealogy had already provided the lead that he might be the person they were looking for).

Last edited:
It’s not my opinion - Its what the search warrant return says. If you scroll down to the end you can see which ones were marked as sent to the lab. Ill screenshot the pages with the items sent for lab exam

View attachment 523938

View attachment 523936
View attachment 523937
Well then perhaps there was enough evidence collected from those items marked as returned to convict.
Otherwise I cannot formulate why they would collect evidence for testing and not test.
JMO

Well then perhaps there was enough evidence collected from those items marked as returned to convict.
Otherwise I cannot formulate why they would collect evidence for testing and not test.
JMO
I don’t know if we have seen the car carpet mentioned anywhere in filings but the gun and toolmarkings is definitely a huge part of their case. I don’t really understand why they wouldn’t test any of the clothing. I would have assumed they’d do every inch of that blue carhartt jacket.

JMO
The items they collected but appear not to have forwarded to the lab - could they have done some presumptive testing on them to show the presence of XYZ or lack thereof? If they did these and they didn’t turn positive for initial presumptive tests, maybe they were deemed negative and not in need of further investigation? Presumptive and confirmatory tests - Wikipedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000
Back