Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #194

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO it’s the defense who has a problem. After RA confessed the first time or the 2nd time, or even the 12th time why didn’t his DT seek an independent phycologist to review his mental state and determine if in fact he was suffering from psychosis and if so, he’d be deemed to require hospitalization for a time. Why just let his loose lips go on and on more than 60 times?

But that the DT did says to me they deliberately intended for his mental diagnosis to remain unknown because it would harm his case….easier to make unproven accusations in the hopes of seeking public pity.

JMO and MOO
If he was my client, I wouldn’t have a psych evaluation done either. What better way to tell my client, the state, the judge and jury, the media and the general public that I had concerns for his mental state? Surely that would create a bias against him. And since opinions of people are subjective, why would I trust anyone to set the record the way I needed it to go as his lawyer? That’s a roll of the roulette wheel I wouldn’t want to risk. Especially if doing so may ALsO allow the state access to his prior medical records via disclosure or cross of the expert. No thanks. IMO it’s better they haven’t done this. Moooo

If he was my client, I wouldn’t have a psych evaluation done either. What better way to tell my client, the state, the judge and jury, the media and the general public that I had concerns for his mental state? Surely that would create a bias against him. And since opinions of people are subjective, why would I trust anyone to set the record the way I needed it to go as his lawyer? That’s a roll of the roulette wheel I wouldn’t want to risk. Especially if doing so may ALsO allow the state access to his prior medical records via disclosure or cross of the expert. No thanks. IMO it’s better they haven’t done this. Moooo

He has excellent attorneys. They know what they are doing. ;)

IMO MOO

Of the $1 million spent so far, $581,605 is considered expenses for Richard Allen’s defense. That defense cost includes:
  • $434,273 for legal fees and administrative expenses for five attorneys assisting in Allen’s defense
  • $49,071 for at least seven separate experts and expert witnesses
  • $47,259 for three investigators and their investigative services
  • $37,980 for depositions and transcripts
  • $6,123 for juror questionnaires
  • $6,899 for supplies and services
Over $1 million has been spent on the Delphi murders trial; how much more will be spent?

Of the $1 million spent so far, $581,605 is considered expenses for Richard Allen’s defense. That defense cost includes:
  • $434,273 for legal fees and administrative expenses for five attorneys assisting in Allen’s defense
  • $49,071 for at least seven separate experts and expert witnesses
  • $47,259 for three investigators and their investigative services
  • $37,980 for depositions and transcripts
  • $6,123 for juror questionnaires
  • $6,899 for supplies and services
Over $1 million has been spent on the Delphi murders trial; how much more will be spent?
It also stated defense has $68,000 in additional expenses filed and pending approval.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/i...ling/531-48029e0c-51d2-4089-8e62-c0e4ef116c07

IMO it’s the defense who has a problem. After RA confessed the first time or the 2nd time, or even the 12th time why didn’t his DT seek an independent phycologist to review his mental state and determine if in fact he was suffering from psychosis and if so, he’d be deemed to require hospitalization for a time. Why just let his loose lips go on and on more than 60 times?

But that the DT did says to me they deliberately intended for his mental diagnosis to remain unknown because it would harm his case….easier to make unproven accusations in the hopes of seeking public pity.

JMO and MOO
You are entitled to your opinion. I don’t share it as you are aware. :)

“And since opinions of people are subjective, why would I trust anyone to set the record the way I needed it to go as his lawyer?”

Huh?

Yes opinions are always going to be subjective in the absence of proof. The DT’s allegations that RA was suffering from psychosis is equally subjective without any independent medical evidence of psychosis to support it.

Equally subjective is DT’s allegations that the Odinists were responsible for these murders because there’s no proof of anyone other than RA on the bridge.

Do you notice a trend?

Genetic genealogy??? This is good news if it points to RA, he’s toast!

BBM
ISP told 13News it has recorded $330,223 in costs since Williams and German were murdered in 2017. Those costs include:
  • $264,110 in overtime costs for investigators
  • $22,848 for investigator lodging
  • $9,178 for a leased office for investigators
  • $5,511 for investigator meals
  • $8,576 in miscellaneous supplies
  • $20,000 for genetic genealogy

“And since opinions of people are subjective, why would I trust anyone to set the record the way I needed it to go as his lawyer?”

Huh?

Yes opinions are always going to be subjective in the absence of proof. The DT’s allegations that RA was suffering from psychosis is equally subjective without any independent medical evidence of psychosis to support it.

Equally subjective is DT’s allegations that the Odinists were responsible for these murders because there’s no proof of anyone other than RA on the bridge.

Do you notice a trend?
Interesting isn't it?

RA has mental health issues .... or does he? Apparently he does/or did have depression and anxiety diagnosed based upon the recent court documents.

The Defence failed to have him undergo a psych assessment. So as to cause no bias against him? Really? Yet, they continuously claim psychological problems caused his confessions ... did it? Roll of the dice there.

Even Dr. Wala testified under oath that she believed there was a possibility that he may have been malingering --- I suspect that perhaps went a long way towards informing Judge Gull's ruling on the confessions as well --- a lack of psychosis. Either he is or he isn't. The D-Team themselves congratulated the Prosecution on their cross examination of Dr. Wala and pulling out the 'I thought he may have been faking' bit during the 3 day hearings.

So, they want to claim he was is a state of psychosis, but have nothing to back it up by their own choice. Colour me shocked then that the ruling went against them as to admisability of the confessions - not.

I'd call it a case of be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Meh, still subjective. Two judges looking at the same documents could easily form two different opinions / rulings. It’s luck of the judge draw for many lawyers imo.

It’s not just opinion or totally random. Law is one of the oldest professions. They have to cite precedent and case law that goes back hundreds of years. How else should they do it?

(Snips from the article)
"... the ICCAA will be reimbursing Carroll County for about 40% of eligible defense costs for Allen’s trial, including fees for the defendant’s attorneys, investigators, experts, transcripts and depositions. Those expenses are eligible for reimbursement because Carroll County is a member of the commission, which helps local communities cover the cost of big murder trials like this one.

Now for the prosecutor:
(snips)
Most of that — $249,006 — is listed as attorney fees for several private lawyers hired to help the prosecutor, including Stacey Diener, James Luttrull, and Jackie Starbuck and her law firm.

The next biggest prosecutor expense reported by the auditor is $72,196 for a custom-designed multimedia podium with AV equipment that is being used in the Carroll County Circuit Court courtroom where Allen’s hearings and trial take place.
Other costs:
  • $19,954 for computers and computer-related equipment
  • $9,345 to pay for Richard Allen’s housing at two state prisons
  • $7,500 for ballistics tool mark experts
  • $5,000 for a copier
  • $4,000 for a trial consultant
  • $3,411 for depositions
  • $63,308 for two walk-through metal detectors and an x-ray machine for the courthouse
  • $15,535 for a gate that will be erected during the trial to limit access to the courthouse entrance used by the jury, judge and defendant
  • $5,719 in rented fencing and barricades requested by the Carroll County sheriff’s office for pre-trial hearings
Comment on 13news legal analyst Katie Jackson-Lindsay
"She also took note of the $4,000 the Carroll County prosecutor spent to hire a trial consultant — a service more frequently utilized by defense attorneys who want to test the strength of various defense strategies and evidence they might present to a jury.
“That strikes me as odd because a prosecutor shouldn’t have multiple theories, and a prosecutor should be presenting all of the evidence,” Jackson-Lindsay told 13news."

(Snips from the article)
"... the ICCAA will be reimbursing Carroll County for about 40% of eligible defense costs for Allen’s trial, including fees for the defendant’s attorneys, investigators, experts, transcripts and depositions. Those expenses are eligible for reimbursement because Carroll County is a member of the commission, which helps local communities cover the cost of big murder trials like this one.

Now for the prosecutor:
(snips)
Most of that — $249,006 — is listed as attorney fees for several private lawyers hired to help the prosecutor, including Stacey Diener, James Luttrull, and Jackie Starbuck and her law firm.

The next biggest prosecutor expense reported by the auditor is $72,196 for a custom-designed multimedia podium with AV equipment that is being used in the Carroll County Circuit Court courtroom where Allen’s hearings and trial take place.
Other costs:
  • $5,000 for a copier
  • $3,411 for depositions
  • $63,308 for two walk-through metal detectors and an x-ray machine for the courthouse
  • $15,535 for a gate that will be erected during the trial to limit access to the courthouse entrance used by the jury, judge and defendant
  • $5,719 in rented fencing and barricades requested by the Carroll County sheriff’s office for pre-trial hearings
Comment on 13news legal analyst Katie Jackson-Lindsay
"She also took note of the $4,000 the Carroll County prosecutor spent to hire a trial consultant — a service more frequently utilized by defense attorneys who want to test the strength of various defense strategies and evidence they might present to a jury.
“That strikes me as odd because a prosecutor shouldn’t have multiple theories, and a prosecutor should be presenting all of the evidence,” Jackson-Lindsay told 13news."

We don’t know the date of the $4000 trial consultant expense but a prosecutor having an array of multiple theories early on would seem to be beneficial in having the luxury of illustrating a defendant’s guilt in numerous ways. Perhaps RA’s multiple confessions narrows down a theory as apparently he spoke of motive. MOO

Interesting isn't it?

RA has mental health issues .... or does he? Apparently he does/or did have depression and anxiety diagnosed based upon the recent court documents.

The Defence failed to have him undergo a psych assessment. So as to cause no bias against him? Really? Yet, they continuously claim psychological problems caused his confessions ... did it? Roll of the dice there.

Even Dr. Wala testified under oath that she believed there was a possibility that he may have been malingering --- I suspect that perhaps went a long way towards informing Judge Gull's ruling on the confessions as well --- a lack of psychosis. Either he is or he isn't. The D-Team themselves congratulated the Prosecution on their cross examination of Dr. Wala and pulling out the 'I thought he may have been faking' bit during the 3 day hearings.

So, they want to claim he was is a state of psychosis, but have nothing to back it up by their own choice. Colour me shocked then that the ruling went against them as to admisability of the confessions - not.

I'd call it a case of be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
thank you, was trying to articulate this and finally just gave up, backspacing over my post. But THIS. This is the double edge sword that is RA's mental health for the DT MOO

Glad to see that the Carroll County courtroom will be the long-term beneficiary of the Prosecution's Trial Expenses due to the relocation of the trial to their rurl location.

Their rural courtoom now gets modernized and updated as part of the process for the benefit of the taxpayers for years t come. Very cool.

I'm actually gobsmacked though that the cost of housing RA at two state prisons comes in, at $ 9 345.00, well below the cost of that short little defence trip, at $12 000+ (IIRC), to pick up a 2012 photo from facebook.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

“There’s a lot that goes into these systems that provides a modern courtroom audio visual experience,” explained Brad White, president of Nomad, the Minnesota-based company that supplied the podium for Carroll County. He told 13News the company’s courtroom podiums can cost between $30,000 and $250,000, describing the Carroll County purchase as “on the lower end of our systems.”
Other prosecutor costs include:
  • $5,000 for a copier
  • $3,411 for depositions

as to the podium, I was shocked that would be considered a prosecution expense. According to the legal analyst quoted in the new13 article that would more rightly be a courthouse expense, along with the added security expenses associated with this case.

But the venue is not used to high profile cases apparently and therefore had little to none of the basic security measures required. Same with podium. This is a pretty standard need now that we have more and more tech testimony in the courtroom. MOO

as to the trial consultant service, I don't find it unusual, even though those types of services are useful to defense, in this case, we have a lot of speculative and wild theories floated by the defense team. Lots has been put out by them naming multiple alternate persons as possible SODDIs. I do not think it unusual the State would want a consultant to assist them in figuring out how to combat that nonsense and also prepare to rebut said SODDI defense if JG had ruled in the DT.s favor. all JMO.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiend_nyx
Back