Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #195

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, it seemed like whatever he confessed to was enough to question his daughter’s friends. Maybe he behaved inappropriately around them or had sick fantasies over them.
I don’t believe for a second he just woke up and decided to do this off a whim. I bet there is questionable stuff in his past where he was weird around young girls and women.

IMO MOO

Maybe the daughter’s friends is what this is referring to?

BBM
“Allen also reportedly expressed sorrow to another inmate over “molesting Abby, Libby and others which he specifically named.”

I doubt it is that dramatic him being mostly in solitary and separated from others.

By other's accounts having had the same confinement, they say it is often very boring and depressing.

That being said, being in jail and knowing you will probably never see the light of day because (in my opinion) he knows he did it and knows they have enough evidence to convict him and send him away forever. That's got to make your behavior change dramatically.
The many articles I've read about suicide watch and solitary confinement are truly disturbing. They weigh on me heavily. I honestly would like to hear stories from those who have been through it for months on end and find it merely boring and depressing.

Could you please provide links to those other's accounts you speak of?

The many articles I've read about suicide watch and solitary confinement are truly disturbing. They weigh on me heavily. I honestly would like to hear stories from those who have been through it for months on end and find it merely boring and depressing.

Agree. I've said I'd do awesome in solitary. But I highly doubt I'd do very well having barely any clothing, blankets, and people trying to extract a confession out of me 24/7 for months and months on end.

IMO MOO

I apologize.. I thought RA was only in high supervision and not actual solitary confinement even though I stated it that way. My error. That is a different case.

I thought it was illegal to have a prisoner in total solitary confinement for more than 15 days.

Maybe in order to make a fair comparison it should be noted that prisoners held under solitary confinement are not granted privileges including visitors, recreation time or phonecalls. Just because RA was not thrown amongst the general population for his own protection does not mean he was held in solitary confinement, to the normal definition of the term.

The Judge has already ruled he wasn’t treated harshly so what can be accomplished by rehashing something that’s already ruled upon?

“Indiana State Police Detective Brian Harshman testified that he has reviewed 650-670 of Allen’s phone calls during his incarceration covering more than 150 hours.”

That eventually led to a July 19, 2023, hearing in which Special Judge Fran Gull ruled that Allen had been “treated more favorably” than others being held at Westville. She believed he should remain there.

Agree. I've said I'd do awesome in solitary. But I highly doubt I'd do very well having barely any clothing, blankets, and people trying to extract a confession out of me 24/7 for months and months on end.

IMO MOO
Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be locked up in my bathroom for the next 2 years. No place to sit except on a hard toilet, a prison mattress or the cold floor. Having someone watch me 24 hours a day. The noise I couldn't block out.

I would not do well, at all.

Maybe in order to make a fair comparison it should be noted that prisoners held under solitary confinement are not granted privileges including visitors, recreation time or phonecalls. Just because RA was not thrown amongst the general population for his own protection does not mean he was held in solitary confinement, to the normal definition of the term.

The Judge has already ruled he wasn’t treated harshly so what can be accomplished by rehashing something that’s already ruled upon?

“Indiana State Police Detective Brian Harshman testified that he has reviewed 650-670 of Allen’s phone calls during his incarceration covering more than 150 hours.”

That eventually led to a July 19, 2023, hearing in which Special Judge Fran Gull ruled that Allen had been “treated more favorably” than others being held at Westville. She believed he should remain there.

I think it's OK to express disagreement with a judge's ruling based on the information that has come out. JMO MOO

It means nothing to me that he was "treated better than others at Westville." "Others at Westville" are already convicted felons. RA is not and should never have been there in the first place. IIRC, he wasn't even represented by an attorney when it happened (IMO MOO JMO).

For me personally, no matter how many "rulings" say this was acceptable, I will never believe it was. I expect to see this matter "in the courts" for many years, too.

MOO JMO

Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be locked up in my bathroom for the next 2 years. No place to sit except on a hard toilet, a prison mattress or the cold floor. Having someone watch me 24 hours a day. The noise I couldn't block out.

Right. I think I could be alone for that long. As long as it was comfortable and quiet. RA's confinement, as a presumed innocent man, was anything but.

MOO IMO

I think it's OK to express disagreement with a judge's ruling based on the information that has come out. JMO MOO

It means nothing to me that he was "treated better than others at Westville." "Others at Westville" are already convicted felons. RA is not and should never have been there in the first place. IIRC, he wasn't even represented by an attorney when it happened (IMO MOO JMO).

For me personally, no matter how many "rulings" say this was acceptable, I will never believe it was. I expect to see this matter "in the courts" for many years, too.

MOO JMO

IMO only reason for hanging on to the horrors of solitary confinement is to excuse RA’s confessions.

But what if the confessions were true?

Even RA’s confessions prove he was not held under solitary confinement, which would ordinarily indicate a prisoner was isolated from others.

BBM
“The judge went on to say that all statements Allen reportedly made to fellow inmates and correctional officers were unsolicited and not part of any interrogation. Rather, evidence reportedly shows that Allen sought out people to make these statements to.

“The Court is not persuaded that the detention caused the defendant to make incriminating statements,” Gull wrote. “While the defendant does suffer from major depressive disorder and anxiety, those are not serious mental illnesses that prevent the defendant from making voluntary statements.”

Last edited:
Imo they released the second sketch because the first sketch had been public for two years and they still didn't have the perp. That is just my guess.

There are similarities in the two sketches but also dissimilarities. For instance, BG in BB's sketch has a long chin. BG in the video and the man in SC's sketch has a small chin with a frown like RA. Yet both ladies say BG from the video is the man they believe they saw that day.

No wonder the FBI did not want LE to do that presser. They did it anyway. I hope we hear more about why LE thought that necessary.

Doug Carter says he can't wait to tell the story as to why they did what they did. Can't wait to hear it.
I'd never heard that the FBI didn't want the ISP to do that April 2019 PC? If anything it sounded like to me that ISP Carter was saying things inspired by FBI profilers. Do you have a link to that? TIA

Interesting how people can read/hear the same thing and come to an entirely different conclusion. I guess that happens when one believes RA is guilty as opposed to seeing him living in a hellhole called Westville, being kept in solitary, occasionally tased, heckled and possibly threatened (of course there’s no audio, how convenient), fearing for his life. In that situation, I could imagine him welcoming death either by suicide or believing he may die at the hands of someone else. The thought of being with his family in heaven would be a pleasant/comforting thought given it would be unlikely he would be able to see them again on earth and a relief from what he was going through. JMO

It’s all about perspective.
If he was an innocent man, why in the world would the thought come into his head that he had to admit to killing two little girls to get to heaven with his family...if he DIDN'T do it?

If he was an innocent man, why in the world would the thought come into his head that he had to admit to killing two little girls to get to heaven with his family...if he DIDN'T do it?

I also think it’s impossible to relate to the number of confessions as well. One or two but over 60? During that period of time he had to have been confessing to virtually everyone he talked to!

I don’t see it as the prison’s fault at all. Instead I blame his defense team for doing nothing while they knew this long list of confessions was ongoing. They only had to obtain an independent psychological assessment which may’ve actually proven the conditions at the prison were harming his mental health.

Instead the D did nothing to stop RA from confessing, on and on.

Why? Probably because they didn’t want all his existing mental issues on record, none of which would cause a person to falsely confess to crimes they didn’t commit. MOO

I'm not sure that solitary confinement and segregation are different. MSM calls it one thing and Westville calls it another but I think they are probably the same.

DELPHI, Ind. — For a year and nine months, accused Delphi double killer Richard Allen has languished inside two state prisons, locked in solitary confinement, officials said, for his own safety, while awaiting trial for the killings of Abby Williams and Libby German near the Monon High Bridge in Carroll County in 2017.

Here is Galipeau's affidavit spelling out who gets what in segregation. I don't have a link handy for what he was provided with while in suicide watch.
PG 8

I understand that the judge's decision counts here.

Psychological torture? Psychotic break?

IMO MOO

Why wouldn’t RA’s attourney’s have had RA undergo an independent mental health evaluation? It’s one thing to later allege RA was undergoing a psychotic break by having displayed photos of him in a dirty recreation shirt, but quite another to actually have done something at the time to support those allegations and showing they cared about the well-being of their client.

Instead the D did nothing and it’s too late now, the Judge has allowed the confessions to stand.

MOO

Why wouldn’t RA’s attourney’s have had RA undergo an independent mental health evaluation? It’s one thing to later allege RA was undergoing a psychotic break by having displayed photos of him in a dirty recreation shirt, but quite another to actually have done something at the time to support those allegations and showing they cared about the well-being of their client.

Instead the D did nothing and it’s too late now, the Judge has allowed the confessions to stand.

MOO

I've seen this question asked a lot here, but I'm not sure what you mean. You mean someone other than Dr. Wala? Someone from outside the prison?

I personally have zero sympathy for him as he is only suffering from these circumstances because he killed two girls. This is all his own doing because he is twisted and sick and had to be protected due to the nature of the crime. If he has ended up injured because he had been attacked then people would also moan about that. In such cases LE are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

IMO

Maybe, RA did so many confessions, because he hoped, he would get out of his "bathroom" for some hours and would finally be questioned re his confessions. But nobody seemed to give it a special meaning. Understandably, if inmates/pretrial detainees do it all the time, again and again, for no apparent reason. MOO

Levels of security in the Westville Housing Units:
• R dorm (WCA) holds 381 minimum security inmates. It provides the labor force used outside the secured perimeter and in the Lion’s Club Eyeglass Recycling Program.
• WCU holds 110 maximum security inmates assigned to long-term restricted housing plus110 inmates in disciplinary segregation.
• The General Services Complex (GSC) operates the Re-Entry Program, Admission &Orientation Unit, and Notre Dame/Holy Cross college program
• The Education Complex (EC) provides literacy through vocational education, and houses over 360 offenders in the Therapeutic Community (TC) substance abuse program.
• The Industrial Complex (IC) contains PEN Products which makes , pallets and recycles surplus CDs/DVDs and operates PLUS - a faith and character based program.
• Inmates assigned to GSC, EC and IC are primarily medium security

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyOfDragons
Back