Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #195

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Looking at the search warrant return just now and I see something listed as "paper wrapped wooden weave box containing 2 "Audiovox" device...

Any ideas what those are? I googled Audiovox and it isn't clear to me what this could be.
Looks like they do a million and one different things, but I did note they do walkie talkies. Those come in pairs.

Or....perhaps they have no evidence, as ruled by the Judge/Court in this case.
She didn't rule they had no evidence. She ruled against the evidence on Rule 403 grounds. Here is her language:

The Court will not permit the evidence submitted by the defense in support of their arguments regarding third-party perpetrators in the trial of this cause as the probative value of such evidence is greatly outweighed by confusion of the issues and its potential to mislead the jury...
Note the language "confusion of the issues and its potential to mislead the jury." This is the language of Rule 403:

Also notice that the rule is made to exclude relevant evidence.

Looking at the search warrant return just now and I see something listed as "paper wrapped wooden weave box containing 2 "Audiovox" device...

Any ideas what those are? I googled Audiovox and it isn't clear to me what this could be.
they make lots of devices for various things, including vehicle tracking/GPS capability between your car and phone/other device.

When the connection was active, I was able to log in to the Web site and the smartphone app to see information about my car.

This is the crux of my opinion. As spelled out in the link, quoted from the link, and bolded by me....

"If the probative value of evidence is substantially outweighed by the dangers of “unfair prejudice, confusing the issues, misleading the jury, undue delay, wasting time, or needlessly presenting cumulative evidence” then this evidence might be excluded."
I wish this could be pinned on the top of every page of every thread nearing trial!

It's truly the judge's duty, to preserve a fair trial for a defendant, to rule based on the law what does and doesn't come before the jury. Bedrock.

JMO

She didn't rule they had no evidence. She ruled against the evidence on Rule 403 grounds. Here is her language:

Note the language "confusion of the issues and its potential to mislead the jury." This is the language of Rule 403:

Yes, my most recent post prior to this one to clarify my opinion on the matter and what I opined to be the reason for the decision. Thanks!

"If the probative value of evidence is substantially outweighed by the dangers of “unfair prejudice, confusing the issues, misleading the jury, undue delay, wasting time, or needlessly presenting cumulative evidence” then this evidence might be excluded."

www.law.cornell.edu

probative value

www.law.cornell.edu
www.law.cornell.edu

I don't believe RA can appeal based on ineffective counsel as that was brought up during the SCOIN Oral Arguments in January by one of the SCOIN Judges to RA's Defense Attorney Leeman. He said it was a waived issue or would be at approx the 1:06 min mark during a YouTube posting of the actual videoed and audio recorded session.

I cannot link it here because what I listened to and saw it from is an unapproved WS source that has some conversation before the recording is played, but there is a complete audio and video recording of the entire Oral Argument session out there.

MOO

EBM: Added clarification
Thank you! I was wondering about this recently.

I'm not seeing Rule 403 or relevant evidence referenced in her ruling, but she specifically referenced "admissible evidence" and "The case law is quite clear that the nexus must not be based on speculation, conjecture, rumors, or hearsay, but rather on admissible evidence".

I'm not seeing Rule 403 or relevant evidence referenced in her ruling, but she specifically referenced "admissible evidence" and "The case law is quite clear that the nexus must not be based on speculation, conjecture, rumors, or hearsay, but rather on admissible evidence".
The language of her ruling is Rule 403. She is restating the rule. The reason it is inadmissible evidence is because she feels the relevant evidence (and its probative value, as all relevant evidence is probative) is outweighed by the chance that the jury would be misled or that they would confuse the issues raised by the evidence.

That is her opinion, but to state there is zero evidence is a misstatement.

ETA: Rule 403 language
The court may exclude relevant evidence if its probative value is substantially outweighed by a danger of one or more of the following: unfair prejudice, confusing the issues, misleading the jury, undue delay, wasting time, or needlessly presenting cumulative evidence.

Are RA lawyers in on the conspiracy as that would explain why they have done such a poor job so far?

IMO
IMO, the defense introduced each conspiracy/SODDI for the single purpose of planting reasonable doubt in the mind of at least one juror.

This is not about the pursuit of justice, prosecuting the "real killer," or anything else but to give false hope to their client, and hope for a mistrial. Clearly, there's no chance for an acquittal here!

But as of today, the defense has failed to produce admissible evidence demonstrating a nexus (i.e, the legal threshold for a third party defense).

To be clear, the defense first introduced their theory of 'Odinists' responsible for the murders in September 2023 but a year later, still could not produce credible evidence to link 'Odinists' to the crime.

Accordingly, the Court ruled this week that it will not permit the evidence submitted by the defense in support of their arguments regarding third-party perpetrators in the trial as the probative value of such evidence is greatly outweighed by confusion of the issues and its potential to mislead the jury.

However, in all fairness to RA, the Court will allow evidence to support an offer of proof at the trial if one is made by defense Counsel. What that means is that during the trial the defense will still have a chance to try to convince Gull that a sufficient link exists between Odinism and the alternate suspects to present that information to a jury. But first, they will have to make that case directly to Gull while the jury is asked to step out of the courtroom.

MOO

ETA: IMO, the only reason for the defense to even attempt to resubmit Odinists during the trial, especially knowing it will be rejected by the Court, would be to get it on record to preserve the issue for the Court of Appeals.

Preserve the Issue...

Last edited:
So - perhaps zero allowable evidence is a more accurate description.

the end result is the same. moo
Motions in limine are "preliminary" motions, so she actually hasn't excluded the evidence yet. That's why she is allowing the defense to make an offer of proof at the time of trial. Of course, then she will deny that, and it will then become excluded. The legal distinction is important, but for the purposes of this thread and what we can and can't discuss, you are essentially correct.

The language of her ruling is Rule 403. She is restating the rule. The reason it is inadmissible evidence is because she feels the relevant evidence (and its probative value, as all relevant evidence is probative) is outweighed by the chance that the jury would be misled or that they would confuse the issues raised by the evidence.

That is her opinion, but to state there is zero evidence is a misstatement.

ETA: Rule 403 language

Well if the D cannot defend their client’s innocence and he is convicted, then Judge Gull isn’t standing in the way of an appeal. No grounds to prove she is biased.

But as the SODDI are not the defendants in RA’s upcoming trial, nothing has changed with this ruling. The fact remains none of the investigators testifying for the defence could place any of the D’s third party POIs at the crime scene at the time of the murders.

Well if the D cannot defend their client’s innocence and he is convicted, then Judge Gull isn’t standing in the way of an appeal. No grounds to prove she is biased.

But as the SODDI are not the defendants in RA’s upcoming trial, nothing has changed with this ruling. The fact remains none of the investigators testifying for the defence could place any of the D’s third party POIs at the crime scene at the time of the murders.
I didn't say anything about bias, anything about guilt or innocence, anything about appeal. None of that. I'm not sure why you quoted me.

I think they are heavily influenced by the recent Karen Read strategy and the Barry Morphew dismissal in 2022

The former strategy we have discussed. The later approach was to attempt to overwhelm the court and prosecution with misleading and sprawling motions.

I think Scott Reisch is correct that they over litigated it whereas in the Morphew case the defence was much more skilled in bamboozling the court about discovery violations and supposed alternate suspects.

MOO

Exactly! But unlike the Morphew defense team, RA's defense failed to get Judge Gull removed from this case. JMO

I am trying to figure out if there would be any potential benefit for the defense team to have something they could offer as proof during hearing and elect not to do so. To me it would seem logical if one has something that can sway the judge in favor of granting one's motion in limine, one would use it.

This leads me to believe that the DT has no such evidence that would allow their other evidence to be considered admissible at trial.

I am trying to figure out if there would be any potential benefit for the defense team to have something they could offer as proof during hearing and elect not to do so. To me it would seem logical if one has something that can sway the judge in favor of granting one's motion in limine, one would use it.

This leads me to believe that the DT has no such evidence that would allow their other evidence to be considered admissible at trial.
It was the prosecution's motion in limine, not the defense's. There may or may not be a clue there :cool:

It was the prosecution's motion in limine, not the defense's. There may or may not be a clue there :cool:
I misspoke and I follow you, but my question remains the same. DT wanted that stuff in state did not. Is there any advantage to the DT not playing all their available cards to see that they got in what they wanted? Is there any advantage to not play those cards until trial?

I am experienced in elder law, not criminal, so my knowledge of that topic is limited to what I learn following cases. Thanks for being willing to answer our questions in this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awesomewallflower
Back