Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #197

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know how many individuals DD ultimately interviewed but I suspect RA might have been one of few or one of one he didn't interview in a closed setting. Hence no audio recording. Having followed other missing persons cases where local LEOs call in neighboring LEOs for specific tasks (canvassing neighbors, canvassing businesses, following up on tips, etc), often those bonus LEOs complete their task and aren't called on again until trial, to establish chain of custody). My point, DD was readily available to assist but that doesn't mean he was privy to the investigation.

DD probably didn't know how LE followed up on his tip, when, how, whether. And more recently apparently delved into his recorded interviews in search of the one, having forgotten they weren't all recorded. Finding it instead in his notes.

I do wonder if, in organizing 10000 tips, besides whatever ways RA was deceptive -- a little bit of truth to bury the lie -- this happened.

Richard Allen Whitehead got stacked in the tip file as a lead on the three juveniles but didn't get arrowed to 'individual on the bridge'.

FWIW DD's assignment may have been quite narrow. Find out who saw Abby and Libby.

RA said he didn't. (Three girls AFAIK didn't. ) DD writes a report, files it as a 'Didn't see" where it languished.

I think, when this case goes before the jury, the investigative legwork will be impressive, for how LE closed the gap, why it took so long and why was going on behind the scenes all along.

Lost or found, sooner or later, DD's notes are a snapshot. Of what RA was willing to confess to on the day of the interview and what he wasn’t. All by RA's design.

Those notes are gold.

JMO

He was saying would they still love him if he did it, and every bit of their reaction sent him the message 'no'.

Their rejection of his confessions and his subsequent backtracking of them makes complete sense to me.

If they'd been horrified but told him to follow his conscience then I think we would have had a different plea by now.

MOO

Yes their reactions scream “shut up, we really don’t want to know”.

Plus it appears the DT has formed a good relationship with the family, and so they might be convinced of bold assurances RA will be found not guilty. In essence that makes him innocent and life goes on, RA’s reputation is still intact. (IIRC RA made a prior reference around the time of his arrest about harm to ‘his reputation’). JMO

At the point when he interviewed RA, the kids had already been found not just dead, but murdered. At the moment they were found dead, and it was suspected (or obvious) foul play, then imo, that should be an investigation limited to police. Maybe its done differently out there but this is the first case I've ever heard of with a conservation officer interviewing persons of interest when murder victims bodies are located. MOOOOO
Please provide the source that you have that shows that DD interviewed RA after the victims being found deceased.

Thanks

I think he was as helpful as he could but UNTIL he realized he was a suspect according to his lawyers... Defense files to suppress comments made by Richard Allen on the day of his arrest - Carroll County Comet
But he stopped being helpful on 13th October 2022 during his first "questioning" where his story changed to remove himself from the scene by 1330hrs. That's when his story changed on his timing (aka 'caught in a lie/guilty knowledge due to the video and 'still photo' timings being out in the public domain).

That questioning resulted in the Search Warrant for his property and he was not under arrest (he and his wife sat in their vehicle IIRC) while the search of his residence was conducted.

The day he was arrested came on 26th October ... when the results from the search (linking round from scene to his gun) came back.

At the point when he interviewed RA, the kids had already been found not just dead, but murdered. At the moment they were found dead, and it was suspected (or obvious) foul play, then imo, that should be an investigation limited to police. Maybe its done differently out there but this is the first case I've ever heard of with a conservation officer interviewing persons of interest when murder victims bodies are located. MOOOOO

Do you have a link supporting when this interview was conducted?

And did you notice DNR Conservation officers undergo the same training as LE? So it wouldn’t be at all unusual if they were asked to assist.

Such a prime POI that when he called the tip line, they sent DD, not even police officer, but a conservation officer to take his information. At a grocery store. Not even at the police station. So prime a POI, the person who met with him thinks he took a recording - but as of last Sept (Franks 1, linked by me in a post above)... he couldn't locate.

2. Its not just that RA can't get himself off that bridge - its that LE can't place anyone ON that bridge (or at the south end where the words DTH were spoken). So I go back to this - a man working for pest control had called Grey Hughes to discuss that he had seen a car parked NEAR the CPS building which was there when he arrived about 8:45am, and there when he left around 2:15pm.

A friend of his saw the same vehicle "on the other side " at about 3:30pm. He saw officers and decided to give them some tips. He asked the officer: "Why was the time on this vehicle reported between noon and five? Well, I didn't know that there was another vehicle and he said it was parked at that CPS building backed in to where they couldn't see the license plate". The caller noted he never saw that CPS car when he was there. BUT:

What made police automatically discount the car along the side of the road in the correct times as being of any interest in this crime? Before even investigating it, they seemed disinterested and more concerned with the car at CPS.... (probably because it was backed in). But my point is - they discounted this tip without even investigating it seems! This makes me wonder, did LE have tunnel vision about the CPS car and then ignore any evidence that it had nothing to do with the crime?

(its an 8 minute video) and I sure would like to know - how did police automatically discount this info in favour of the CPS car? MOO.

How do we know that it was not investigated?

Maybe it was known who it belonged to and ruled out.

JMO

‘Others involved’ didn’t necessarily mean LE suspected another person or person/s was involved in committing the murders. It could refer to an accomplice or someone aiding and abetting who might’ve driven there and/or picked him up, helped him to wash up or assisted in cleaning up the vehicle, or otherwise assisted him in covering up his crime in some way.

Until RA’s arrest was put out to the public, it couldn’t be known by LE if anyone knew of someone out there who he might’ve been connected with. MOO
If someone provided a false alibi for RA could also be considered “involved”.jmo

I think it was the cold shoulder approach that got him to cease. JMO

IMO this makes a lot of sense.

He wanted very much to get this off his chest and find forgiveness.

Yet the reactions he encountered were a family that wanted to “HEAR NO EVIL,” so he ultimately obliged them by regressing to “SPEAK NO EVIL.”

Too bad for them all because Libby’s video overthrew any potential “SEE NO EVIL.”

Brava, Libby.

Justice for you, Abby. Justice for you, Libby. You’ve waited far too long.

JMO

Such a prime POI that when he called the tip line, they sent DD, not even police officer, but a conservation officer to take his information. At a grocery store. Not even at the police station. So prime a POI, the person who met with him thinks he took a recording - but as of last Sept (Franks 1, linked by me in a post above)... he couldn't locate.

2. Its not just that RA can't get himself off that bridge - its that LE can't place anyone ON that bridge (or at the south end where the words DTH were spoken). So I go back to this - a man working for pest control had called Grey Hughes to discuss that he had seen a car parked NEAR the CPS building which was there when he arrived about 8:45am, and there when he left around 2:15pm.

A friend of his saw the same vehicle "on the other side " at about 3:30pm. He saw officers and decided to give them some tips. He asked the officer: "Why was the time on this vehicle reported between noon and five? Well, I didn't know that there was another vehicle and he said it was parked at that CPS building backed in to where they couldn't see the license plate". The caller noted he never saw that CPS car when he was there. BUT:

What made police automatically discount the car along the side of the road in the correct times as being of any interest in this crime? Before even investigating it, they seemed disinterested and more concerned with the car at CPS.... (probably because it was backed in). But my point is - they discounted this tip without even investigating it seems! This makes me wonder, did LE have tunnel vision about the CPS car and then ignore any evidence that it had nothing to do with the crime?

(its an 8 minute video) and I sure would like to know - how did police automatically discount this info in favour of the CPS car? MOO.

I took and posted the quote in my post directly from the transcript at the link - is it inaccurate? I can't stand to watch Grey...
6 mn 39

He says maybe he didn't see it. ETA "maybe it was hidden where I couldn't see it."

Last edited:
How do we know that it was not investigated?

Maybe it was known who it belonged to and ruled out.

JMO
Right just because the police weren’t discussing details of the investigation with the caller at the fair doesn’t mean it wasn’t thoroughly investigated.
Also the fact that they wouldn’t comment on the color or details of the car at cps to someone fishing for information means that they were protecting the integrity of the investigation.

From what I've read, I concluded that the suspects named were cleared prior to RA's arrest. So the P claiming there were other suspects (reason for sealing the PCA) has always been puzzling.

Wasn't the verbiage something along the lines of "; other actors could be involved?'

This was near the beginning of RAs arrest?

Perhaps at that time, NMCL wanted to be absolutely certain that no stone was left unturned. Could it have been a way to allow the investigation to remain open?

Also, it occurs to me that involvement doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else actively participated in the murders, but potentially helped to cover it up.

JMO

Please provide the source that you have that shows that DD interviewed RA after the victims being found deceased.

Thanks
I'd like to see that reference as well.

I think it also bears clarifying that DD did not "interview" RA. RA rather approached to provide info in a grocery store parking lot which DD recorded into his notes. This was no formal interview.

Interesting to note that DD also noted "who were the three girls" as RA had mentionned seeing them.

Page 2 (Italicized for 'Tip Narrative'):

That was BW. The photo she had taken of the bridge on 13 Feb 2017 was timestamped at 1243hrs. She is the same individual witness who took the photo of the bench at at 1326hrs ... just prior to them passing by RA.

Same reference as above (Page 2, second para):

Wasn't the verbiage something along the lines of "; other actors could be involved?'

This was near the beginning of RAs arrest?

Perhaps at that time, NMCL wanted to be absolutely certain that no stone was left unturned. Could it have been a way to allow the investigation to remain open?

Also, it occurs to me that involvement doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else actively participated in the murders, but potentially helped to cover it up.

JMO
And once RA was arrested, LE doesn’t stop investigating. It starts a new phase of investigation with all new tips!

jmo

What reason would he have had to interview RA BEFORE the kids were found dead? Richard Allen called the tip line to provide his information - why would there be a tip line in the first place if the kids weren't found dead yet? FINAL DRAFT - 9.17 at 6.30 pm - Delphi Franks brief.pdf | PDF Host
DD may have taken a tip in a grocery store parking lot because he working with LE to find missing children.
Again you’re using speculation and not a source. Interesting the FM doesn’t provide a date or time.
Please provide a source that states that the tip was taken after the victims were found deceased.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nurhan
Back