IN IN - Jonathan 'John' Hamby, 38, Mishawaka, 23 Feb 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Police asking for help finding missing Mishawaka man

a6f63702-f6fd-463c-8257-ac1902d593dd-medium36x25_Capture4.JPG
c346849e-ae65-42ab-9089-0f3eed1bb0ab-medium36x25_Capture3.JPG

The last time friends and family heard from 38-year-old Jonathan Hamby was February 23, 2017.

His family says there is no sign he left the area and didn't plan to come back, but police are not sure what happened to him.

Jonathan is a big sports fan who loved Notre Dame and playing basketball.
Michiana Crime Stoppers is offering an enhanced reward of $20,000 for information on Jonathan's disappearance.

A tip can be submitted online, or by calling 574-288-STOP or 800-342-STOP.

The newly created Elkhart County Homicide Unit will be taking over the investigation from Mishawaka police.

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Fa...-finding-missing-Mishawaka-man-449553203.html

He was last seen wearing a red Indiana University t-shirt, blue jeans, and a jacket.

Hamby's family and friends haven't heard from him at all. They say that's unlike him.

Hamby's parents say they've never gone more than two or three days without hearing from their son.
On February 23, Jonathan told his parents he was going to spend the night with some friends. That was the last time they saw him.

A few days later, his bank account and credit cards stopped being used and his cell phone was turned off.

His parents say he was driving a black BMW and last seen with an acquaintance on February 26.
http://wsbt.com/news/local/mishawaka-family-continue-to-search-for-missing-son

[h=1]UPDATE: Missing Mishawaka man's case taken over by Elkhart County Homicide Unit[/h]
8d283e7b-dbea-49ae-9c1d-aaa0aa7a021b-medium36x25_jOHN.jpg

MISHAWAKA — The Elkhart County Homicide Unit is now investigating a missing person's case that started in Mishawaka.

John Hamby, 37, disappeared eight months ago. He was last seen on February 23.

Hamby told his parents he was spending the night with some friends.
Mishawaka police were investigating this case with no signs pointing to a crime.
Hamby is still considered a missing person, but the homicide unit has taken over the case since Hamby spent most of his time in Elkhart County.

"It's very difficult and you know you just keep going,” said Cordia Hamby, John's mother. “I have my very difficult days and I have days that I just go along."

http://wsbt.com/news/local/john-hamby

Jonathan Alan Hamby – The Charley Project

Jonathan Alan Hamby

hamby_jonathan5.jpg
hamby_jonathan6.jpg
hamby_jonathan7.jpg
hamby_jonathan8.jpg
hamby_jonathan_bmw.jpg

Missing Since 02/26/2017
Missing From Mishawaka, Indiana
Classification Endangered Missing
Sex Male
Race White
Date of Birth 07/23/1979 (40)
Age 37 years old
Height and Weight 6'1, 190 pounds
Clothing/Jewelry Description A red Indiana University t-shirt, blue jeans and possibly a Carhartt jacket.
Medical Conditions Hamby has a history of alcohol and drug addiction, depression and anxiety. He had been prescribed psychiatric medication, but apparently he wasn't taking it consistently.
Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Hamby's nickname is Jon.

Details of Disappearance
Hamby was last seen leaving his home in Mishawaka, Indiana on February 26, 2017. He had been staying at a friend's house for a few days and then he came home, showered, and had a meal with his parents. He said he was going out but would be back that night. He has never been heard from again.

He left his clothes and money behind, and he hasn't accessed his bank account or used his credit cards since his disappearance. His family stated there was no sign he was planning to leave and "everything just went silent."

Prior to his disappearance, Hamby had had problems with substance abuse, depression and anxiety, and had multiple jail stays. He lost his driver's license due to drunk driving charges.

However, he had started to turn his life around. He had taken a job with Rob Staley, a former school principal and friend of his family, and got his license back. He cherished his car, a black 2006 BMW 530I with the Indiana license plate number XJU691. A photo of him with the car is posted with this case summary. It has not been located.

He converted to Roman Catholicism at age 22 and owned many religious, theological and ancient philosophical texts in his large collection of books. His loved ones stated his religion, and being a good Christian, was very important to him. He also loved sports.

Staley was one of the last people to speak to him before he went missing. Hamby's mother had sensed her son was struggling and called Staley about it, so Staley asked Hamby to come to his house and talk. Hamby was supposed to return to work right before he vanished, but during their meeting Staley noticed he was acting strangely and his body language was "off". Hamby admitted he hadn't been taking his medication.

Both Staley and Hamby's parents believe he did not leave on his own and was probably the victim of a homicide. His case remains unsolved.

"Jon" Hamby is featured this week on the Charley Project.

I notice earlier posts in this thread state he told his parents he would be spending the night with friends but the CP page states he said he'd be home later the same night.

Earlier reports say he did access his account for a few days after leaving home; the CP page implies he didn't.

I hope answers will come soon for his family. This is very sad. IMO the "friends" he visited know what happened to him. Are people refusing to speak up because they are guilty or because they are afraid of the person who is guilty?
Have the "friends" even been located and interviewed?

I feel for Jon's family.

I notice earlier posts in this thread state he told his parents he would be spending the night with friends but the CP page states he said he'd be home later the same night.

Earlier reports say he did access his account for a few days after leaving home; the CP page implies he didn't.

I hope answers will come soon for his family. This is very sad. IMO the "friends" he visited know what happened to him. Are people refusing to speak up because they are guilty or because they are afraid of the person who is guilty?

I feel for Jon's family.

I feel for Jon's family.
What were his arrests for?

If his beloved car is still missing, it could be a few scenarios - misadventure with the car, or it was stolen. But years have passed now, and I hope his family will have answers soon. I feel for them.

From 2018:

"[Friend S] said he Hamby were in their early 20s when they meet in Texas, and not a week had gone by without them speaking about their favorite football teams (the Fighting Irish and the Dallas Cowboys), philosophy or life.

“I think whatever happened was by surprise...he’s always contacted me before when he felt he was in serious trouble. I can’t imagine anything that he wouldn’t tell me, I just can’t.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879
Back