Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #197

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would expect prosecution to enlist experts to corroborate the evidence. Why wouldn’t they? Defense shopped around to find experts in ritual killings.
Yeah I’m sure that both sides shop around. Wonder what the shopping until they each find someone they’re content with has cost the taxpayers?

Why would the large forensic labs be interested in 'corroborating" the states case? My understanding is they typically receive stuff for analysis and have no dog in the fight as to which way it goes.

I can understand the argument more in respect of your 'hired gun' type analyst or the inhouse experts ....

MOO

Why would the large forensic labs be interested in 'corroborating" the states case? My understanding is they typically receive stuff for analysis and have no dog in the fight as to which way it goes.

I can understand the argument more in respect of your 'hired gun' type analyst or the inhouse experts ....

MOO
It’s the prosecution that would seek an expert to corroborate evidence. Not the other way around.

LE had the unspent bullet with tool markings. They obtained RA’s gun via search warrant. Both are evidence. An expert was needed to determine if the bullet could be linked to the gun. It could, which corroborated the theory.

Had there been no link, defense would have been all over that finding.

Reading the original post, I hope the poster was not subtly accusing the prosecution of asking a forensic expert to lie.

jmo

Last edited:
Speaking of Harshman’s testimony….

Asked how many incriminating statements Allen has made behind bars, Harshman responded “60-plus direct confessions.” He said some of those confessions included specifics of the Delphi murders that only the actual murderer would know, as well as motivation for the crimes. (The detective did not elaborate with additional details.)

I've been waiting to hear the specifics of these "confessions", since all we have at this point are generalized statements that RA "confessed" many times.

The one specific "confession" I am aware of was a guard outside of Allen's cell who said he overheard Allen talking to himself, when he was apologizing out loud for killing Abby. Which isn't really a confession.

The confession I really want to see is the one in wiring--in a letter Allen supposedly wrote to the Warden, confessing to the murders.

Plus, the confession he made in which he disclosed his motive for killing the girls.

But despite the current lack of specifics, when the confession details are told to the jury during the trial, I think these confessions of Richard Allen will be incredibly strong evidence against him.

Yep. Public defenders are a huge cost to taxpayers. But it’s part of the American system of justice.
It's not only the public defenders; it's all expensive but very necessary, IMO

When you figure how much has been spent for 5 years of investigation, then add in the atty expenses, judges, etc. it will be shocking.

What makes you think I missed it? I'm well aware of it and the judge took action on them. As I said = bad behavior from anyone should not be tolerated.
My apologies. You were wondering what or who the "cranks" were. I thought you missed that whole episode.

Speaking of Harshman’s testimony….

Asked how many incriminating statements Allen has made behind bars, Harshman responded “60-plus direct confessions.” He said some of those confessions included specifics of the Delphi murders that only the actual murderer would know, as well as motivation for the crimes. (The detective did not elaborate with additional details.)

IIRC, I think total admissions (direct and incriminating) were upwards of 100? I believe it was mentioned?

Can you please be more specific about the "bad behavior" you are aware of? This is the first I am hearing of it.
Arguing started inside the courthouse and continued in earnest outside, which was caught on video. They were subsequently banned by the judge.

Can you please be more specific about the "bad behavior" you are aware of? This is the first I am hearing of it.
I am not the OP, but I'll chime in.

There was a hearing where several internet cranks were on the witness list for the Defense team. They only ended up calling a couple of them and then at some point (can't recall exactly when during the hearing if it was before or during a break after it started) 2 of them got into a fight at the courthouse.

People associated with the D talking to internet cranks and it all became public info when one of the involved parties released all the conversations (that this person was part of) so it could be seen exactly what was being said.

Photo leaks that some decided to share.

My apologies. You were wondering what or who the "cranks" were. I thought you missed that whole episode.
I did not watch whatever episode you're referring to. There were various reports of the slight altercation between the two men. Here is the only place I've ever heard internet folks called cranks.

I am skeptical of the tool markings. I feel like the State shopped around for an expert who would say on the stand that it matches RA’s gun. Moo. The science has been shown to be unreliable: Unvalidated Forensic Science — New England Innocence Project

RA owns a gun that exhibits markings just like said markings known to be on the unspent bullet found with the girls' at the crime scene. They tested other guns and those other guns did not make those markings.

So again, I ask, what are the odds a gun he owns makes such markings, in addition to the totality of all of the evidence against him, direct and circumstantial?

I did not watch whatever episode you're referring to. There were various reports of the slight altercation between the two men. Here is the only place I've ever heard internet folks called cranks.
The podcast “murder sheets” seem to have coined the term “internet cranks” when discussing some sort of conversation that apparently took place in text messages via discord among a bunch of private citizens regarding this case. To my understanding the podcasters were not part of the actual convo and were merely discussing something they believed happened among the private citizens. Here’s an article to better explain the podcast wherein I believe the term originated. I guess internet cranks are social media content creators that the podcast who coined the term perhaps doesn’t like or disagrees with?

It was a term I heard first from Murder Sheet

originally aired July 15, 2024
“Members of Richard Allen’s defense team have worked hand-in-hand with internet cranks in order to sway the public narrative of the case, smear perceived enemies, and raise thousands of dollars through a poorly-organized fundraiser.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tessi417
Back