Active shooter situation at Perry, Iowa high school

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I heard that the Perry school district will cancel classes until next Friday, the 12th. I'm guessing that they need to sweep the middle and high school building for any additional weapons or evidence, and do debriefing for teachers and students.

This story said that the shooter's younger sister being bullied, possibly because she's related to him, pushed him over the edge. It also names the classmate who died. (Perry's middle and high schools are in the same building.)

Oh no. The kid who died had the same surname as the mother in the early reports who had found her daughter but was still searching for her son hours later but they wouldn't tell her anything. That poor family.

MOO

Last edited:
Oh no. The kid who died had the same surname as the mother in the early reports who had found her daughter but was still searching for her son hours later but they wouldn't tell her anything. That poor family.

MOO
That same story appeared in my local paper! I'm guessing that the story was filed and the paper went to press before he was officially identified.

MOO
I've seen some public social media posts by family members about him.
He was so loved, so very loved. </3
He was going to be 12 in March.

MOO
I thought I had read his last name somewhere, but couldn't remember where. That is so sad. Sometimes I think media should wait to interview parents and students when things like this happen. I know they are just doing their job, but parents who don't know where their children are should not be interviewed as the tragic situation is unfolding. IMO.

They've officially identified the boy who died.
AP quoted his mother here saying “We send our condolences to the family of Dylan; they’re in our prayers and we’re truly sorry for his loss as well.” I... truly cannot fathom the strength of character needed to be mourning your child and at the same time, extend your empathy to include the family of the killer. What a kind, selfless person, and how unfathomably cruel for her to need that strength now.

They've officially identified the boy who died.
AP quoted his mother here saying “We send our condolences to the family of Dylan; they’re in our prayers and we’re truly sorry for his loss as well.” I... truly cannot fathom the strength of character needed to be mourning your child and at the same time, extend your empathy to include the family of the killer. What a kind, selfless person, and how unfathomably cruel for her to need that strength now.
She also sounds angry at the school, imo.

From your link:
Jolliff said she was horrified to hear that friends of 17-year-old Dylan Butler, who police have identified as the shooter, say he was bullied for years and that teachers and school officials did nothing to protect him.

...Jolliff said she didn’t know anything about Butler’s situation, but had sympathy for him. Jolliff says she hopes that administrators have learned the importance of checking on students to make sure they’re ok.

“I just pray that what we lost isn’t in vain and that other things can be put in place with the school system,” Jolliff said.

Here is the information for Ahmir's visitation and funeral. The link to his obituary is in the article. Reading about Ahmir makes me so sad. He was such a fun and caring young boy who most likely would have befriended the shooter if he had the chance.

She also sounds angry at the school, imo.

From your link:
Jolliff said she was horrified to hear that friends of 17-year-old Dylan Butler, who police have identified as the shooter, say he was bullied for years and that teachers and school officials did nothing to protect him.

...Jolliff said she didn’t know anything about Butler’s situation, but had sympathy for him. Jolliff says she hopes that administrators have learned the importance of checking on students to make sure they’re ok.

“I just pray that what we lost isn’t in vain and that other things can be put in place with the school system,” Jolliff said.
What an empathetic and strong woman. I don’t think I could have half of her grace in this situation, but the way she has responded to this unfathomable tragedy shows the amazing person that she is—which is clearly reflected in the way her son has been described.

RIP Ahmir. This should never have happened to him but I hope that his memory can always be a blessing to those who love him ♥️

I did see an interview with Ahmir's father. They were married at the time of Ahmir's birth, and while it doesn't sound like he ever had much contact with the boy, the father has also been living in Israel for the past 5 years.

I'll share a persistent rumor about another victim via PM.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grandma great
Back