Active shooter situation at Perry, Iowa high school

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> It hurts my heart that some person, student or otherwise, chose to do this on the very day that they came back from Holiday break. They sat there and planned this during what should be a joyous, happy time of year, and decided that the first day back to school would be when they would do it. Attacks like this are always awful and sad, but the timing is getting to me on this one. Hubby went back to school yesterday, and the students went back today, just like Perry HS. Hate that it can truly happen anywhere, anytime, and so very little is being done to, at the very least, keep schools safe.
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
'A law enforcement official says the suspect in a shooting at an Iowa high school shooting has died. Police in Perry, Iowa, say multiple people were shot at the city’s high school, on students’ first day back in classes after their annual winter break. A spokesperson said two gunshot victims were taken by ambulance to a hospital in the state capital of Des Moines, about 40 miles southeast of Perry. In Perry, Dallas County Sheriff Adam Infante says an active shooter was reported at Perry High School before school started on Thursday and officers responded about seven minutes later. The shooting occurred in the backdrop of the Iowa caucuses and not far from where Republican candidates were campaigning.'

Son texted his dad that he heard gunshots. His son's friend was shot and the son was grazed by a bullet this morning. Video is 4+ minutes.

Perry High School active shooter situation | Live updates from Iowa​

The father of one of the students who was inside the high school at the time of the shooting spoke with media on the scene.

I am very curious about what the school has in place regarding security, if any, such as metal detectors, security guards,etc...

If anyone finds a link to the presser that's expected at 3PMCST please post it.

At least three others were injured including two students and an administrator. WHO 13 has learned that the injured administrator was longtime high school principal Dan Marburger.

WHO 13’s Lindsey Burrell spoke with a representative for UnityPoint Health in Des Moines and confirmed they are treating two victims with gunshot wounds at Methodist Medical Center.

We'll know more in a little bit, but this was the first update I've seen regarding actual number of injured. Fingers crossed that it's only injuries.

I used to live in Des Moines. This is heartbreaking. Thinking of students, staff, and their loved ones.
I did too. There was a shooting at Kurtz Junior High (now Lincoln South) in 1972 (a boy who was being bullied brought a rifle to school and fired a few shots into a wall before being tackled by a teacher; the only injuries were a few cuts and scrapes from kids who jumped out a first-floor window) and a murder/suicide at Southeast Polk a decade later. That one was a boy who wanted to date a girl and (VERY long story made short) wouldn't take no for an answer.

I've heard that the Perry area, and especially Fort Dodge to the north, has become extremely rough in recent years.

p.s. I went to Kurtz just a few years later, and never knew about the shooting until people starting talking about it on that school's Facebook page.

I just listened to the press conference. There are 6 victims and 1 6th grade student has passed away. 4 other victims are students and 1 school administrator. 4 are in stable condition and 1 is critical, but not life threatening. The shooter was 17 year old Dylan Butler and he is deceased.
So sad that the student who passed is so young!

Last edited:
Shooter had a "rudimentary" explosive device (I looked that up and it's homemade). Grateful it didn't work. His digital footprint is going to answer a lot of questions, imo.
Unfortunately, the two guns the shooter used worked just fine. He killed himself prior to the arrival of LE. This is yet another school shooting by a deeply disturbed individual who had access to guns.

JMO

He couldn't lawfully own a gun in Iowa at the age of 18, if I'm reading this correctly.

"Can I acquire a handgun if I’m under 21 years old?

A person needs to be at least 21 years old in order to acquire a handgun or obtain a Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons in Iowa. There are certain exemptions for a person who is 18, 19 or 20 years old and in possession of a Professional Permit to Carry Weapons while working in an occupation that requires the carrying of a firearm."

He couldn't lawfully own a gun in Iowa at the age of 18, if I'm reading this correctly.

"Can I acquire a handgun if I’m under 21 years old?

A person needs to be at least 21 years old in order to acquire a handgun or obtain a Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons in Iowa. There are certain exemptions for a person who is 18, 19 or 20 years old and in possession of a Professional Permit to Carry Weapons while working in an occupation that requires the carrying of a firearm."
The shooter was 17-years-old and a student at the school. The media I've seen have made no mention of who owned the guns he used.

JMO

ADMIN NOTE:

Threads are dedicated to individual cases, and gun control discussion is off topic and not allowed in dedicated threads.

If you wish to discuss gun violence and gun control in general, you may do so in the thread we have set up for that topic.

Please make sure to read the Opening Post:

Thanks !!

Oh this is heartbreaking. I'm a HS teacher and today was so fun welcoming students back, lots of hugs. I used to live in Des Moines. Just very sad.
All school shootings are incredibly sad. Apparently at least one victim had to be transported to a Des Moines trauma center by helicopter.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happy head