GUILTY Afghanistan - US Soldier guns down 16 civilians, 2012 Kandahar massacre

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prior to his deployment to Afghanistan, the soldier had lost part of a foot in Iraq and suffered a traumatic brain injury, according to his lawyer, John Henry Browne. The Seattle attorney said the screening for the concussion was minimal.

The soldier had not wanted to deploy to Afghanistan on what ultimately became his fourth combat tour, Browne said, citing conversations with the soldier's family. Bales had served three times in Iraq.

"He was told that he was not going to be redeployed," Browne said. "The family was counting on him not being redeployed.
I think it would be fair to say he and the family were not happy that he was going back."

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/16/world/asia/afghanistan-shooting-soldier/?hpt=hp_c1
My post was made before this info came out. I've seen plenty of people with extremely sever injuries claiming they want to go back. This guy doesn't appear to have been one of these people.

I've seen quite a few comments suggesting that it is not uncommon for men/women that are unsuitable for military service to be accepted for military service anyway. Is that really true? Should something more be done to screen people that are accepted for military service if this such a common problem?

It sounds like the defense of post traumatic stress syndrome is high when there are irregular incidents like this latest mass murder, the burning of the Koran, the urination incident, and so on. If a concussion due to brain trauma (such as a car accident) is so severe that it is viewed as potentially behind this recent murder spree, why wasn't that detected in previous medical and pyschological testing?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but that's the impression I'm getting.

[video=youtube;c-aTdb7Bt6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-aTdb7Bt6Q[/video]

If a concussion due to brain trauma (such as a car accident) is so severe that it is viewed as potentially behind this recent murder spree, why wasn't that detected in previous medical and pyschological testing?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but that's the impression I'm getting.

The military would have to give these guys PET scans and hours-long neuropsychological testing to find the structural changes and/or cognitive deficits. That's money they definitely won't be spending. I guess if you don't look for it, it doesn't exist.

I find this is very troubling and disturbing for the safety of the rest of our military in Afghanistan and actually anywhere in the middle east!:banghead:
Kandahar slaughter preplanned, executed by squad – Afghan top brass

The Afghan Army Chief of Staff says the slaughter of 16 civilians, including nine children, in Kandahar province was a premeditated assassination carried out by a number of servicemen, RIA Novosti reports, citing Afghan media.
Lt. General Sher Mohammad Karimi’s harsh condemnation of the March 11 mass murder flies in the face the version of events posited by the NATO-led security mission.
The Top command of the ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) insists that the butchery was carried out by just one man – Staff Sgt. Robert Bales – who went on a killing spree for unknown reasons.
Lt. Gen. Karimi met with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and relatives of the victims on Friday in Kabul.
Saying he had personally visited the villages where the slaughter took place, the General stressed he had repeatedly demanded to meet with the suspect Robert Bales but was turned down cold.
President Karzai has also announced that the conclusions of numerous commissions investigating the crime scenes show the murders was carried out by multiple assailants.
He further stressed the American investigation team refused to sufficiently co-operate with the Afghan side.

http://rt.com/news/kandahar-massacre-counterinsurgency-operation-805/

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales' Neighbors Described Afghan Massacre Suspect As 'Good Guy'

Shock echoed down the street in Lake Tapp, Wash., where Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, named as the suspect who allegedly went on a rampage, murdering 16 Afghan civilians, was remembered as a family man and "good guy."

"I just can't believe Bob's the guy who did this," neighbor Paul Wohlberg told the Associated Press. "A good guy got put in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Neighbors painted a picture of the career soldier as a family man who spoke little about his deployments.

Kassie Holland, a neighbor, told the Associated Press that she would see Bales playing with his two kids.

"My reaction is that I'm shocked," she said. "I can't believe it was him. There were no signs... He always had a good attitude about being in the service. He was never really angry about it. When I heard him talk, he said, it seemed like, yeah, that's my job. That's what I do. He never expressed a lot of emotion toward it."
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/sgt-r...ghan-civilians/story?id=15942005#.T2TDJhFuma0

I have friends on the base, so I was aware of this... but obviously waited until there was a link.
I just had not seen it clearly clarified that he did not want to go back and wanted to make sure it was.
It is a point my friends on base have felt needed to be made very strongly.
That and the fact that they are not happy he was identified...
Especially that his wife and kids were identified by name.

My post was made before this info came out. I've seen plenty of people with extremely sever injuries claiming they want to go back. This guy doesn't appear to have been one of these people.

Can you imagine being his family right now?
This man you loved, sent off to Afghanistan... had plans to bring back and have Christmas with, isn't coming home.
He didn't die of natural causes or die honorably serving his country...
He massacred 16 people, including children the same age as his own... and possibly caused the deaths of more as a result.
How would you explain that to your children in a few years? I mean... wow.

There are so many victims in this... the victims... the suspects family... the other soldiers left over there to deal with the aftermath... all of them.

Especially that his wife and kids were identified by name.

I have a problem with this too--they have nothing to do with what happened over there. If I were them, I'd seriously look into changing my and children's names and being relocated and set up at government expense ---anyone wanting to retaliate wouldn't have a problem waiting months/years to do so.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/17/suspect-in-afghanistan-shooting-was-decorated-veteran/

Published March 17, 2012

Two things that caught my eye (I'm loosely following this in the news).

Bales completed 20 hours of anger-management counseling following a 2002 arrest at a Tacoma hotel for investigation of assault.

That was prior to his first deployment by the dates listed in the article. That was an offense that happened in the civilian sector, if an offense had happened in the military sector we won't see that released now (it usually isn't anyway-not exactly sure why and which reg or rules govern that...etc...). It will be reserved for trial.

But Browne and government officials differ in their portrayal of a second injury, to the soldier's head, in a vehicle accident.

A government official said this week that the accident was not related to combat. But Browne said the man suffered a concussion in an accident caused by an improvised explosive device.

Need more information about this head injury and how it occurred before I can decide if it was a determining factor.

Prior to deployment (whether it is the first time or the 6th time..etc.) all soldiers must complete combat readiness. That includes health screening and mental health screenings. Post deployment they must be screened (and debriefed) before being allowed to fully reintergrate into the community or their families. The Pre deployment and post deployment screenings include being screened and educated about TBI's and mTBI's.

Also if there is an injury in theater they are screened there for TBI's and mTBI's.

The investigation by the military will include his records. If someone did not screen him adequately or falsified records or didn't do their job in recording any findings then they, too, will be investigated and prosecuted or disciplined.

As far as not wanting to be deployed. I, personally, haven't met any soldier (even the one I'm married to) that is excited or wants to go. It's a pain in the arse. But they pack up and go. So I don't see not wanting to go as a factor to this crime, I see it as a fact of life.

I still think (unless more info comes out) that this man had some kind of psychotic break and it's quite possible that he may have had a predisposition to have one---every single one of us have our breaking points. I don't know where mine is yet---thank goodness.

I just wanted to add that they are screened. Prior to and after deployment and if an incident happens within theater.

I don't know about the foot issue. I don't have enough info to know if the resulting surgery took away enough of the foot to compromise his ability to perform his job. What I'm saying is---it could have been very minor. Or he could have fought to stay in. We won't see the military speak to his injury or recovery or surgeries because of the privacy act.

Sorry for the long post just adding my thoughts. As someone said back on page one that they disagree with "Hero-worshipping" soldiers. Well I agree.

Soldiers are human beings. They come from all walks of life, and from every rung on the socio-economic scale within the USA. The military community is a microcosm of not only the USA because the community also includes the spouses of those soldiers who can also be from foreign countries. There are soldiers who are actually hero's. Just like in the civilian world. There are some that have standards and values and live by them. There are some that commit crimes and beat their spouses or children. There are some that have mental health issues that aren't detected but exacerbated by the rigors of duty or combat.

He did commit the crime of murdering 16 innocent people. He will be prosecuted. I can't, personally, excuse his actions. I do think that if he was suffering a psychotic break that he shouldn't get the death penalty. I am one that supports the death penalty but not when someone is mentally ill during the commission of a crime. This is horrific and sad any way you look at it.

Prayers for the families effected.

I find this is very troubling and disturbing for the safety of the rest of our military in Afghanistan and actually anywhere in the middle east!:banghead:
Kandahar slaughter preplanned, executed by squad – Afghan top brass

The Afghan Army Chief of Staff says the slaughter of 16 civilians, including nine children, in Kandahar province was a premeditated assassination carried out by a number of servicemen, RIA Novosti reports, citing Afghan media.
Lt. General Sher Mohammad Karimi’s harsh condemnation of the March 11 mass murder flies in the face the version of events posited by the NATO-led security mission.
The Top command of the ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) insists that the butchery was carried out by just one man – Staff Sgt. Robert Bales – who went on a killing spree for unknown reasons.
Lt. Gen. Karimi met with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and relatives of the victims on Friday in Kabul.
Saying he had personally visited the villages where the slaughter took place, the General stressed he had repeatedly demanded to meet with the suspect Robert Bales but was turned down cold.
President Karzai has also announced that the conclusions of numerous commissions investigating the crime scenes show the murders was carried out by multiple assailants.
He further stressed the American investigation team refused to sufficiently co-operate with the Afghan side.

http://rt.com/news/kandahar-massacre-counterinsurgency-operation-805/

Somewhere in between is the truth.

There is a reason the army only showed the Afghan's the part of the video showing the guy coming back and did not show them the video of him leaving or the video of the search party leaving.

It was so odd the guy chose a house where the father and son just happened to be gone and spending the night at another village.

One father was shot was just shot in the leg and left. The rest of the family was not shot.

11 bodies moved into a room, covered up with blankets and set on fire means something.

I believe I read or heard on the news that when he returned to base he laid his weapon down and put his hands in the air. That to me means he knew exactly what he had done. That is not a psychotic break.

I feel sorry for the families of every mass murderer however just because he is military doesn't mean that his name shouldn't be released. How many times have we all read on here neighbors saying, "He is was such a good guy." I know personally I have read that tons times.

I was in the Navy and I am not anti-military but I know as PN (which is human resources) that there were a lot males that should not have been let in. Some had violent priors and one even transferred to my ship from another ship where he had stabbed someone. Let me add the fact that "he was such a nice guy" an if I had not known it... I would have never thought it.

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales' Neighbors Described Afghan Massacre Suspect As 'Good Guy'

Shock echoed down the street in Lake Tapp, Wash., where Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, named as the suspect who allegedly went on a rampage, murdering 16 Afghan civilians, was remembered as a family man and "good guy."

"I just can't believe Bob's the guy who did this," neighbor Paul Wohlberg told the Associated Press. "A good guy got put in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Neighbors painted a picture of the career soldier as a family man who spoke little about his deployments.

Kassie Holland, a neighbor, told the Associated Press that she would see Bales playing with his two kids.

"My reaction is that I'm shocked," she said. "I can't believe it was him. There were no signs... He always had a good attitude about being in the service. He was never really angry about it. When I heard him talk, he said, it seemed like, yeah, that's my job. That's what I do. He never expressed a lot of emotion toward it."
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/sgt-r...ghan-civilians/story?id=15942005#.T2TDJhFuma0

If I had a $ for every time after some horrible crime is committed, relatives, neighbors and friends show up and start claiming "but he was such a good guy" I would be rich.

I believe I read or heard on the news that when he returned to base he laid his weapon down and put his hands in the air. That to me means he knew exactly what he had done. That is not a psychotic break.

I feel sorry for the families of every mass murderer however just because he is military doesn't mean that his name shouldn't be released. How many times have we all read on here neighbors saying, "He is was such a good guy." I know personally I have read that tons times.

I was in the Navy and I am not anti-military but I know as PN (which is human resources) that there were a lot males that should not have been let in. Some had violent priors and one even transferred to my ship from another ship where he had stabbed someone. Let me add the fact that "he was such a nice guy" an if I had not known it... I would have never thought it.

I agree. My husband disagrees with me about my compassion for him by giving him a margin of leeway by allowing him the circumstance of a possible psychosis or psychotic incident. He may or may not have had one. I don't know.

My husband said he was a . well---maybe, again I don't know. But, if he is I've met just as many 's that are civilians as I have met that are in the military. Both sets of 's had access to arms too.

But I agree with you even though I have never served myself. I've seen some moderately and severely personality disordered people chaptered out. If he didn't have a mental crisis then my next question would be about a pd.

If my post sounds strident it's not meant that way at all. I'm using an iPad and am hunting and pecking letters. It interrupts my flow of thought :)

Browne said Bales was injured twice while deployed to Iraq, suffering a concussion in a vehicle accident caused by an improvised explosive device, and a battle-related injury requiring surgery that removed part of one foot. The service record released by the Army did not mention battle injuries or a Purple Heart award for combat injury.

http://www.hometownlife.com/usatoday/article/53587098?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Livonia|s

I wonder if he had those injuries, why didn't he have a purple heart.

The Afghan narrative has been curiously lobotomised – censored, even – by those who have been trying to explain this appalling massacre in Kandahar. They remembered the Koran burnings – when American troops in Bagram chucked Korans on a bonfire – and the deaths of six Nato soldiers, two of them Americans, which followed. But blow me down if they didn't forget – and this applies to every single report on the latest killings – a remarkable and highly significant statement from the US army's top commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, exactly 22 days ago. Indeed, it was so unusual a statement that I clipped the report of Allen's words from my morning paper and placed it inside my briefcase for future reference.

Allen told his men that "now is not the time for revenge for the deaths of two US soldiers killed in Thursday's riots". They should, he said, "resist whatever urge they might have to strike back" after an Afghan soldier killed the two Americans. "There will be moments like this when you're searching for the meaning of this loss," Allen continued. "There will be moments like this, when your emotions are governed by anger and a desire to strike back. Now is not the time for revenge, now is the time to look deep inside your souls, remember your mission, remember your discipline, remember who you are."

Now this was an extraordinary plea to come from the US commander in Afghanistan. The top general had to tell his supposedly well-disciplined, elite, professional army not to "take vengeance" on the Afghans they are supposed to be helping/protecting/nurturing/training, etc. He had to tell his soldiers not to commit murder. I know that generals would say this kind of thing in Vietnam. But Afghanistan? Has it come to this? I rather fear it has. Because – however much I dislike generals – I've met quite a number of them and, by and large, they have a pretty good idea of what's going on in the ranks. And I suspect that Allen had already been warned by his junior officers that his soldiers had been enraged by the killings that followed the Koran burnings – and might decide to go on a revenge spree. Hence he tried desperately – in a statement that was as shocking as it was revealing – to pre-empt exactly the massacre which took place last Sunday.

Yet it was totally wiped from the memory box by the "experts" when they had to tell us about these killings. No suggestion that General Allen had said these words was allowed into their stories, not a single reference – because, of course, this would have taken our staff sergeant out of the "deranged" bracket and given him a possible motive for his killings. As usual, the journos had got into bed with the military to create a madman rather than a murderous soldier. Poor chap. Off his head. Didn't know what he was doing. No wonder he was whisked out of Afghanistan at such speed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...not-the-reason-for-this-massacre-7575737.html

Browne said Bales was injured twice while deployed to Iraq, suffering a concussion in a vehicle accident caused by an improvised explosive device, and a battle-related injury requiring surgery that removed part of one foot. The service record released by the Army did not mention battle injuries or a Purple Heart award for combat injury.

http://www.hometownlife.com/usatoday/article/53587098?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Livonia|s

I wonder if he had those injuries, why didn't he have a purple heart.

He can blame his concussion all he wants, but I want to point out that his arrest for an assault of girlfriend was in 2002, long before his concussion, I presume. They dismissed the charge after he went 20 hours of anger management classes.

Oh I agree that he had problems before he joined the military, I just think there is something weird with the reports of injuries and no purple heart.

Holt Secures $40 Million to Support Military Suicide Prevention PDF Print
Tuesday, 20 December 2011 10:08

FUNDS WILL SUPPORT PURPOSES OF THE “SERGEANT COLEMAN S. BEAN SUICIDE PREVENTION ACT,” NAMED IN HONOR OF NJ VETERAN

(Washington, D.C.) – U.S. Rep. Rush Holt (NJ-12) today announced that he has secured $40 million in the final 2012 federal budget to support military suicide prevention efforts. The House and the Senate approved Holt’s funding late last week, and it will now be signed into law by the president.

“The epidemic of suicides among our veterans is measureable in very grim numbers,” Holt said. “Before this day is out, 18 more veterans will have taken their own lives. That is the daily average, it is intolerable, and it has to stop.”

He added, “These funds will help to convey a critical message to America’s soldiers and veterans: You are not alone. If you have suffered such trauma in service to this country that you are considering suicide, America stands ready to help you.”

The funding will support the activities that Holt originally proposed in the Sergeant Coleman S. Bean Individual Ready Reserve Suicide Prevention Act, which was named in honor of an East Brunswick soldier who died by suicide after serving in Iraq.

“We have had some disappointments over the last couple of years, and this marks a real success,” said Linda Bean, the mother of Sergeant Bean. “We have come to realize that, although soldiers come home to communities that honor and respect them, their communities may be ill-equipped to deal with their injuries – visible or invisible. We are really hopeful that some portion of this money will be used to publicize in a meaningful and effective way what help is available to soldiers and veterans and how that assistance can be accessed.”

Of the funds, $20 million will support suicide prevention efforts for active-duty soldiers and reservists at the Department of Defense, while the other $20 million will support veterans’ suicide prevention at the Department of Veterans Affairs. Activities funded may include outreach to vulnerable soldiers and veterans through TV, radio, and social media, as well as direct suicide intervention efforts.

Holt originally secured the funding through two separate amendments: the bipartisan Holt-Runyan Amendment, coauthored with Rep. Jon Runyan (R-NJ), to the 2011 Veterans Affairs appropriations bill; and the Holt Amendment to the 2011 Defense appropriations bill. The two bills were later combined by the Senate.

Veterans who are struggling with the emotional, physical, family or career consequences of their service can call 1-855-VET-TALK (1-855-838-8255), 24 hours a day. The call is free, and all counselors are veterans.

http://holt.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=975&Itemid=18

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chefk
Back