aggravation phase #8 - VERDICT - Extreme Cruelty PROVEN

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the jury has made their decision but they've ate, made bathroom breaks and smoke breaks because they know they'll be having more court today.

MOO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really can't take this waiting...anyone want to sing "Soft kitty" to me? (I'm not, my mother had me tested.) :scared:

Soft Kitty
Warm Kitty
Little ball of fur
Happy Kitty
Sleepy Kitty
Purr, purr, purr

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial

Hmm. Mike B the court reporter just left. #JodiArias

Does anybody know where I can view the last of Juan's closing statement. The part after Nurmi with the 2 minutes silence. I had to pick my son up from school and I missed it! TIA. :seeya:

Right, but doesn't it seem like the aggravation phase is part of the guilt phase? That's what confuses me. I mean, did we really hear anything new this morning? It seemed like just expansion of what we already knew.

True .. some aggravators are different and more specific though .. guess it's the only way they could do a one way fits all system ..

The Jo in MoJo's ‏@joilynowen 50s
Court reporter just left 5th floor! #justicefortravis #justice4travis

The aggravation phase is to see if the defendant is eligible for the death penalty. Not all first-degree premeditated murders are eligible. The prosecution has to prove at least one out of a list of factors to make the defendant eligible. This question has to go to a jury because of a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision, unless it is something undeniable like "the victim was under the age of 12." In this case, the factor alleged is that the murder was especially cruel, so the jury has to determine that the murder meets the legal definition of "especially cruel" before the rest of the sentencing phase (mitigation and rebuttal to mitigation) can proceed.

I get that. But don't you pretty well discuss the murder during the guilt phase? Like I said in another post, did we learn anything new or different this morning?

Jury smoke break! Bet they are ready!!! They did this before on the guilt phase!!!

They sure did you are correct! my gut hurts I am so glad I ate my steak early before the hearing today. i never eat that early but I knew this was going to be upsetting.

From WAT 1 :

1 m Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial

IF ALV was there Beth would be reporting it.

We know she got in some hot water in a sealed hearing. After being strongly admonished on the record by Juan Martinez' questioning, then Nurmi trying to say Juan was acting improperly, and the judge saying NO ...Mr. Nurmi, I find the prosecutor did nothing wrong in the sealed hearing regarding ALV. Indeed the line of questioning was warranted.....I think she knows she is wholly unwelcome there and would not show her face in that courthouse. Juan will eat her for lunch and have the judge's blessing to do so.

I cannot imagine her ever coming around Juan Martinez or this judge again, for the rest of her life.

We have those and the huge non-flying ones in Texas, too. I hate them--they play dead until you reach down with a tissue to get it, then they jump to life and attack! I swear they are intelligent!!!!!!

We had them in Hawaii, too; they were informally known as the Hawaii State Bird. A comedian once talked about how arrogant they were; they'd lick the Raid cans for snacks, and also leave notes to buy more Cheerios and cookies.

Right, but doesn't it seem like the aggravation phase is part of the guilt phase? That's what confuses me. I mean, did we really hear anything new this morning? It seemed like just expansion of what we already knew.

No, it is not part of the guilt phase. The verdict of guilty has been returned already. This phase is to see if the murder qualifies for the death penalty. If it does, the next phase will be to see if JA actually gets the death penalty.

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 1m

:seeya: Hi Everyone!!!! I'm finally back with my furbabies in N.C !!Yay!! (there really is "no place like home")
I missed my WS family :(

I've tried to read this thread, but I'm always 6-8 pages behind :facepalm: Does anyone have a link for the action today? or is it still too early?

Thanks all :blowkiss:

So glad you're back!! You could try to search for wenwee (she transcribed today) but I'm not so sure how to spell her name.

Haven't been home...just now catching up on the day's proceedings. When I heard Juan use the "go gentle into the night" phrase (or something to that effect), I started fist pumping! Bravo, Juan!!!! Just perfect!

It's a reference to a famous poem by Dylan Thomas.

Help me out.. finding the cruelty doesn't necessarily mean the death sentence is a foregone conclusion right? Forgive me but I wasn't around during voir dire , do we know the jury's feelings on the DP? Couldn't some members of the jury be opposed to DP even if they agree 100% it was the cruelest death ever? TIA ! :)

No-during voir dire they all said they could render a death verdict if need be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member