Found Deceased AK - Jaxson Brown, 5, hiking w/mom, Ketchikan, 26 Mar 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jaxson’s Mother has sold her story to one of the UK real life / crime magazines. It appears in That’s Life! Issue 45, dated 05 November 2020 under the title, ‘Jaxson, mummy didn’t leave you!’. This magazine will pay up to £2,000 for your story, incidentally. In the story, Treat says that she did not pack any snacks when taking her 5 year old hiking, but had fortunately packed a tarpaulin. Anyone else ever go anywhere with their 5 year old - even a ten minute visit to the shops - and NOT have snacks with them?! Or a bottle of water / fruit juice? You just don’t do that, unless you want a one way ticket to meltdown city. I don’t know what’s worse; thinking that this tragic death was as a result of sheer carelessness, or wondering if there was something more sinister at work.
Wow .... just wow !

Disclaimer - I am not a hiker or outdoorsy in any way - I can't think of a reason if you weren't planning on being out overnight. Except maybe a picnic? That would involve food, though.
And why does she say it was "fortunate" that she brought a tarp? Did it play into the situation in some way? Maybe she left it with him in an attempt to keep him dry?

Only she knows what really happened. I will say, I think there is too much leniency with these things. Kids being forgetting in cars, kids being found in water... Sometimes it's an absolute tragedy and nothing nefarious but not always and parents need to be charged with neglect, all of them, intentional or not. MOO

Jaxson’s Mother has sold her story to one of the UK real life / crime magazines. It appears in That’s Life! Issue 45, dated 05 November 2020 under the title, ‘Jaxson, mummy didn’t leave you!’. This magazine will pay up to £2,000 for your story, incidentally. In the story, Treat says that she did not pack any snacks when taking her 5 year old hiking, but had fortunately packed a tarpaulin. Anyone else ever go anywhere with their 5 year old - even a ten minute visit to the shops - and NOT have snacks with them?! Or a bottle of water / fruit juice? You just don’t do that, unless you want a one way ticket to meltdown city. I don’t know what’s worse; thinking that this tragic death was as a result of sheer carelessness, or wondering if there was something more sinister at work.
Wow .... just wow !
What? Seriously?

Are you saying that in respect of Marian Engle post about the magazine article or are you referring to my comment of ‘ WOW’ and you want me to explain my comment further ?

Only she knows what really happened. I will say, I think there is too much leniency with these things. Kids being forgetting in cars, kids being found in water... Sometimes it's an absolute tragedy and nothing nefarious but not always and parents need to be charged with neglect, all of them, intentional or not. MOO

I agree with this. Accidents happen, but there's a difference between an accident and neglect.

I ended up here after reading the article in the magazine. As a mum, a lot of things just didn’t sit right with me...it didn’t make sense to me to leave a 5 year old... to take a tarp but not refreshments - in addition to all the points raised on here. In googling I was hoping to find the results of the autopsy. I’m from England and thought it probably wasn’t a story from here, given the remoteness. I’ve watched a few programs on Alaska and know the weather can change in minutes. I can’t understand why they didn’t turn back, but headed into snow (with no phone or flares or survival gear).

The real horror is wondering how that poor boy felt when he woke up to realise his mother was missing... if as she says, she left him when he was asleep. He would have panicked and would not have logically recalled a conversation they might have had prior to his sleep.

There are discrepancies between what appears to have been said in news reports compared to the article in the magazine. I feel there’s a lot more to this...

I ended up here after reading the article in the magazine. As a mum, a lot of things just didn’t sit right with me...it didn’t make sense to me to leave a 5 year old... to take a tarp but not refreshments - in addition to all the points raised on here. In googling I was hoping to find the results of the autopsy. I’m from England and thought it probably wasn’t a story from here, given the remoteness. I’ve watched a few programs on Alaska and know the weather can change in minutes. I can’t understand why they didn’t turn back, but headed into snow (with no phone or flares or survival gear).

The real horror is wondering how that poor boy felt when he woke up to realise his mother was missing... if as she says, she left him when he was asleep. He would have panicked and would not have logically recalled a conversation they might have had prior to his sleep.

There are discrepancies between what appears to have been said in news reports compared to the article in the magazine. I feel there’s a lot more to this...
I agree with all of this.

I agree also.

I agree with this. Accidents happen, but there's a difference between an accident and neglect.
I wholeheartedly agree but unfortunately it is proving the criminal element of the death , by premeditation and intent to kill OR by neglect, albeit not premeditated. Over the years, there have been mothers arrested and charged and put before the courts, found guilty and then latterly, on appeal, found not guilty. In some cases, they have been sentenced to a prison sentence and actually served time before submitting appeals which were granted and ultimately won , thereby vacating the sentence and being released from prison immediately. One case in particular springs to mind, Sally Clarke, who was suspected of murdering her 3 young children, all at different times and ages and was subsequently found guilty and won on appeal and this is especially important- she was granted her right to appeal and won, having her sentence overturned, all on a technicality and procedural mistakes. IMOO and that of many of my former Police colleagues whom I spoke with regarding this case at the time, she was as guilty as hell !! But because of this case and many like it, collectively we have gone too far the other way and now we aire on the side of caution and consequently, prosecutions numbers for this category of offences against Children, have declined substantially due to a misplaced fear of getting it wrong . My experience that I allude to is UK based but I’m sure it’s replicated in our neighbouring developed countries. And the very people who need our protection due to their vulnerability, our children, are being forgotten on this oft political agenda and fear of consequences if a prosecution fails to prove harm beyond all reasonable doubt!

Welcome to Websleuths! Your input is appreciated!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phonekace14
Back