AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are a felon you can NOT purchase a gun. It is one of the questions on the form to fill out. Have you EVER been convicted of a felony crime? a yes answer and it automatically disqualifies you. same with domestic abuse, drug use, certifiable crazies etc. Plus, if you are a felon, and check no, the background people will typically catch it.
I have no idea how you get it expounged from your record... or what types of felonies can and cannot be....
Alaska has to follow all federal laws, so they aren't any more "liberal" than the federal law allows. The state isn't a nanny state nor is it Californiastan either... so there are no goofy state laws about owning a firearm.

that pic of the gun is rather fuzzy. But IMO that is a sprinfield armory XDM, in Bi-tone. Stainless top, black botto half. available in 9mm, .40 and .45 calibers.

Here is a good article regarding Alaska gun laws from earlier this year:
http://newsminer.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Gun+laws+and+Alaska-+The+ins+and+outs+of+firearms+in+the+North%20&id=11029232

Yes, it seems a convicted felon can use a gun 10 years after their charge is dismissed. Many Alaskans live a subsistence lifestyle. Meaning they hunt and fish to feed their family. If the law takes away their way of providing for their family, it's a real hardship. One can use a gun, they just can't own one. Right?

Anyway, I'm wondering if we will hear more now that Keyes has an attorney. Who is his new attorney? What's his history?

I'm still keeping as up to date as I can with this case. I am pretty disappointed that nothing new has really come to light though. Hmm, I guess the waiting game continues.

I find it odd that LE has not asked the public to look for Sam at the last press conference. That speaks volumes.

if you are a felon you can NOT purchase a gun. It is one of the questions on the form to fill out. Have you EVER been convicted of a felony crime? a yes answer and it automatically disqualifies you. same with domestic abuse, drug use, certifiable crazies etc. Plus, if you are a felon, and check no, the background people will typically catch it.
I have no idea how you get it expounged from your record... or what types of felonies can and cannot be....
Alaska has to follow all federal laws, so they aren't any more "liberal" than the federal law allows. The state isn't a nanny state nor is it Californiastan either... so there are no goofy state laws about owning a firearm.

that pic of the gun is rather fuzzy. But IMO that is a sprinfield armory XDM, in Bi-tone. Stainless top, black botto half. available in 9mm, .40 and .45 calibers.

RBBM: Not necessarily true. Non-violent felons can purchase guns if they've met the terms of their probation.....Think white collar criminals.

Yes, it seems a convicted felon can use a gun 10 years after their charge is dismissed. Many Alaskans live a subsistence lifestyle. Meaning they hunt and fish to feed their family. If the law takes away their way of providing for their family, it's a real hardship. One can use a gun, they just can't own one. Right?

?

No. I do not beleive that is right...

Federal law prohibits felons from using or possesing guns. I think that trumps state law. I am not an attorney however.Perhaps there is no state law to reduce redundency?
I know that they can't buy a new gun with a felony, regardless of state law.

http://felonyguide.com/Felony-Gun-Laws.php

No. I do not beleive that is right...

Federal law prohibits felons from using or possesing guns. I think that trumps state law. I am not an attorney however.Perhaps there is no state law to reduce redundency?
I know that they can't buy a new gun with a felony, regardless of state law.

http://felonyguide.com/Felony-Gun-Laws.php

You are correct. State law allows it, federal doesn't. This is a situation much like the marijuana laws. State law allows it, federal doesn't. It's all in enforcement.

I'm confused about all the talk regarding felons and guns. We know IK doesn't have a felony on his record.

I would have to go back and search but because it happened on an army base it is a felony. I will have to look later though. :)

now, here comes the symantics.

The question on the form says, have you been convicted of a felony in any court for which the punishment could have been more than 1 yr , even if you recieved a shorter sentence.

18 USC 921 has some exceptions:
(20) The term "crime punishable by imprisonment for a term
exceeding one year" does not include -
(A) any Federal or State offenses pertaining to antitrust
violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other
similar offenses relating to the regulation of business
practices, or
(B) any State offense classified by the laws of the State as a
misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years
or less.
What constitutes a conviction of such a crime shall be determined
in accordance with the law of the jurisdiction in which the
proceedings were held. Any conviction which has been expunged, or
set aside or for which a person has been pardoned or has had civil
rights restored shall not be considered a conviction for purposes
of this chapter, unless such pardon, expungement, or restoration of
civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship,
transport, possess, or receive firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem