AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thicker. We have had two weeks of daytime temps above freezing, and we are up to 12+ hours of daylight.

Agree thicker and I'd say it could have been substantially thicker. November, December and January were record low temperatures resulting in things freezing solid much earlier than normal. This winter has been exceptionally brutal up until a few weeks ago. Now we seem to be thawing very quickly so I'd say end of January things would have been at their peak of frozen.

Here is just one article about November's cold. December wasn't as nasty but January went right back to sub zero and record snow.

Source: http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/News/2012/Fai_Rev/Review11.html

"After three months of above normal temperatures, November brought very, very cold temperatures with an average value of -8.2°F, which is a substantial negative deviation of -10.8°F from the November's long term mean. The high temperature for the month was 25°F on the 4th of November, while the lowest temperature occurred on the 17th with a low of -41°F. Remarkable was the cold spell from the 15th to the 22nd November with low temperatures daily of -35°F or below. Six days of the week set new daily record lows. These temperatures were more typical in the 1960's, and four of those six broke records that had been set in 1969. Further, it was the 6th coldest November recorded in Fairbanks and this dataset exceeds a century in length. Precipitation in November was 0.46" water-equivalent, below the expected value of 0.67". This deficit in precipitation can be also seen from the lack of snowfall, just 9.2" for the month, which is below the mean value of 13.2". The combination of record cold temperatures and a snowfall deficit will enhance the penetration of frost into the ground, and problems with freezing sewer and water lines later in winter can be expected. Wind speed averaged 3.0 mph and the highest gust was 30 mph on the 14th. Sky conditions were for clear for 6 days, for 14 days partly cloudy and for 10 days overcast. "

This time, Bartenfeld got the request from Anchorage to help on the Koenig case Friday night, and was told "we need you now." By Saturday, they were mobilizing.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/04/03/2406095/details-in-koenig-case-remain.html#storylink=cpy

This is a quote by the LA FBI dive team member that supervised the recovery operation. If they knew about the body's location to know they needed a sophisticated dive team's assistance Friday night, and they took the shed at 10:00 pm Friday and examined it Saturday, IMO they didn't get the body location info from the shed. What is in the shed?

My thoughts and opinions only.

This is a quote by the LA FBI dive team member that supervised the recovery operation. If they knew about the body's location to know they needed a sophisticated dive team's assistance Friday night, and they took the shed at 10:00 pm Friday and examined it Saturday, IMO they didn't get the body location info from the shed. What is in the shed?

Nice catch.

Lol omg you're so sweet! I only know as much as everybody else that was on this since the beginning. Seriously. Some people are good at pulling court records, some good at genealogy, some at past residences, some at networking, others at old business, some at traveling endeavors we all share. Literally.

The reason I know he's not a lost boy is bc some of his family have social networking profiles that he looks exactly like. Plus his sister's testimony was just shared with me recently and it pulled alot of the pieces together as to why their family was moved from NY when they were younger.

I am feeling clueless! I would love to look this up on my own if someone could send me in the right direction.

I saw that. think about the timing... They go pick up the shed and then or before call FBI dive team from across that country ..

IMO he squealed. IMo he told them that the shed was the cold storage and the body is in the lake.
So they go get the shed, and probably had someone at the lake watching it since Friday night.... then when they get here they search it.
The sno-gos zooming around in the beginning for a while before people showed up, I figured were using sonar. That is how they went almost to the right spot and dove there. I also thought that it would make sense to drill hole in the middle and search from there out....

To comment on constableville ny. That is in the tug hill plateau. Lots of cabins up there on seasonal/logging roads. In the summer there is a good bit of ATV riding, then hunting in the fall and snow machining all winter. People come from all over the east coast to snowmachine there...
There are also a good bit of bars that people usually stop at go bar hop to while atving or snowmobiling. The road system and trails connect alot of towns up there.

It doesn't raise any suspsicion to me, other than land is cheap, and it is a good area to recreate...

Maybe the tools he used to break through the ice?

Bessie, if you happen to see this... Is it possible to share genealogy privately with a group of others as long as it won't be posted? It will alleviate confusion about his name. Thank you.
It's possible, but discussing it in your posts is not permissible. ;)

Here's the rule that applies, and I've seen several posts today that are in violation. Please review, everyone:

Inviting outside contact or alluding to "private" additional information:

“Inviting” is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely. This includes use of the Private Message system via comments such as “Check your PMs” or “PM me” posted in discussion threads. Think about it - it's like whispering into someone's ear while you are at a table full of other people. If you want to have a private conversation just have it, don't announce it. Additionally,please don't drop hints or post on the board that you know something or are privy to inside information but you won't or can't post it.
If you can't post it, don't.
Here's the rule on sleuthing family members:
...Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspected of being involved in the crime or disappearance is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

To my knowledge, none of IK's family members have been mentioned in MSM. And you can't post a "fact" without a link to MSM. So, please tread very carefully when discussing this topic. :tyou:

Is anyone surprised that after 2 months missing, SK was deceased? The first few hours after an abduction are the most critical hours. After that, the percentage of returned safely/unharmed is dramatically reduced.

I know a lot of hope was held out, but after the first few days, I think police knew this was not going to have a good or happy outcome.

Sadly most cases go this way.

a little OT, but IMO
I don't think that if Ik is mormon he would be living with native americans, as they are "bad people and stained brown until they convert."

"Mormons believe that Native Americans are related to a lost tribe from Israel. That tribe, came across the ocean about 600 B.C. to America, led by an otherwise unknown Jewish prophet named "Lehi."

Mormon doctrine claims that Lehi's children eventually became two warring factions, which included the good, white Nephites and the bad, brown Lamanites. The Lamanites, eventually killed all the Nephites by 500 A.D. But the bad, brown Laminates continued to live on and are now called Native Americans. "

The Book of Mormon originally stated that when Lamanites converted they would then become "white and delightsome."

Mormon? I don't see where they're Mormon. Amish though yes. Strict Christian background and moved to Amish community. Also love of the fellow man, land, animals. Did have native contact.

Still not home but checked in real quick to see if there's updates on evidence. 2 weeks? Ugggh...

do the mods at this site ever clean up the threads by removing the repeated questions that have already been answered, I only ask, because it stopps the 99 page threads, and condenses just the facts and theories? I understand asking a question, and even posting the answer, but when the samee questions and theories are repeated it tends to make these threads longer than they need to be. I pride you all on your links and facts, but bringing up things that have been discussed disected or proved wrong numerous times tends to lead me to believe that there is no need to read-- just throw something out there and see if it sticks... unfair to those of us who read here and DONT post, as to not clog the board to those who are so dilligent.

thanks ahead of time

I am surprised she is dead and discarded in a frozen lake, because days before Keyes was arrested, the police flat out said "we believe she is alive and have no reason to believe she is dead"
snipped from ADN article:

By CASEY GROVE
Anchorage Daily News

Published: March 9th, 2012 07:44 AM

Anchorage police have reason to believe that missing 18-year-old Samantha Koenig is alive, according to a detective investigating her apparent abduction about five weeks ago.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/08/2360227/police-say-they-believe-samantha.html#storylink=cpy

I believed the police.

Is anyone surprised that after 2 months missing, SK was deceased? The first few hours after an abduction are the most critical hours. After that, the percentage of returned safely/unharmed is dramatically reduced.

I know a lot of hope was held out, but after the first few days, I think police knew this was not going to have a good or happy outcome.

Sadly most cases go this way.

I am surprised she is dead and discarded in a frozen lake, because days before Keyes was arrested, the police flat out said "we believe she is alive and have no reason to believe she is dead"
snipped from ADN article:

By CASEY GROVE
Anchorage Daily News

Published: March 9th, 2012 07:44 AM

Anchorage police have reason to believe that missing 18-year-old Samantha Koenig is alive, according to a detective investigating her apparent abduction about five weeks ago.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/08/2360227/police-say-they-believe-samantha.html#storylink=cpy

I believed the police.

I believe they pretty much always say that unless they have proof to the contrary. They would never want to say they believe someone is dead and have them turn up alive. And perhaps they were hoping that IK had kidnapped her for ransom since his interest seemed to be on getting money. It is rare that LE will say they believe someone is deceased without proof. I believe at that time they simply did not know if she were dead or alive.

For some reason I genuinely believed that we had a better shot of finding her alive than some other cases. I didn't follow this case too closely so I probably just skimmed and was (obviously) terribly incorrect. I was surprised to see her found dead and heartbroken not only for her, but also for her dad/family and friends.

For some reason I genuinely believed that we had a better shot of finding her alive than some other cases. I didn't follow this case too closely so I probably just skimmed and was (obviously) terribly incorrect. I was surprised to see her found dead and heartbroken not only for her, but also for her dad/family and friends.

That is probably because on this case there were so many incredible rumors. Rumors about her father, her being involved in drugs, the boyfriend...you name it. The rumors were flying.

I always thought this was a random abduction and she would be found dead sadly. I think people go way overboard with the gossip and speculation in many of these cases. Sadly the victims lives are often scrutinized to a point of absurdity.

JMHO

I still don't understand the mystery about online presence- or lack thereof-

why was Samantha's FB and online existence obviously scrubbed?

I've heard this but never seen any proof. What exactly do you mean?

I believe they pretty much always say that unless they have proof to the contrary. They would never want to say they believe someone is dead and have them turn up alive. And perhaps they were hoping that IK had kidnapped her for ransom since his interest seemed to be on getting money. It is rare that LE will say they believe someone is deceased without proof. I believe at that time they simply did not know if she were dead or alive.

The detective (and who knows if he/she was actually involved in the case) may have said, "we have no reason to believe she is dead" and the reporter translated that to mean they had reason to believe she was alive. Reporters are notorious for misquoting or misinterpreting what is actually said.
However... even if they believed she was still alive until they found her body, what is so terrible about that?? It does not mean they were not doing their jobs, or were incompetent. They're human, after all, and without something to go on, they don't always know where to look.
Sometimes people are missing for years before they're found, and some are never found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18