AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her father said last night on Nancy Grace that he was an acquaintance. I can say that from some fb stuff I've seen that we aren't allowed to talk about on here that they do have friends in common.....

MANY, including relatives ...

A poster on JK's page is saying if anyone sees or hears anything suspicious with these teen girls, keep your eyes and ears out. Listen to the word on the streets, not just "kid chatter", may mean more than you think. Watch and listen to your children. Hmmnn?

bdawk20: I've not heard that any charges were brought against CB, except the RO (which was never done...).

Fuller: I agree, to a point. I've thought from the very beginning that her daddy knows what and whom but not where... hoping she is home soon.

I don't know what the Dad knows. But until every person in Sam's world views that video, looking for any indicator of identity of the abductor, more value has been placed on legalities than on this girls life. The boyfriend, the brother, Dad, the co-workers, the Mom, everyone needs to be interviewed while watching this video. One of those people might hold the key. The cops have nothing. Concerns of a contaminated jury pool don't outweigh the value of this girl's life.

If we're going to speculate, it takes the same amount of energy to speculate the kidnapper will die in a hail of gunfire this evening as his captive is taken into safety. First, we need to find her. Let's get the tape looked at by those who might know something.

I don't know what the Dad knows. But until every person in Sam's world views that video, looking for any indicator of identity of the abductor, more value has been placed on legalities than on this girls life. The boyfriend, the brother, Dad, the co-workers, the Mom, everyone needs to be interviewed while watching this video. One of those people might hold the key. The cops have nothing. Concerns of a contaminated jury pool don't outweigh the value of this girl's life.

If we're going to speculate, it takes the same amount of energy to speculate the kidnapper will die in a hail of gunfire this evening as his captive is taken into safety. First, we need to find her. Let's get the tape looked at by those who might know something.

I find it very odd that if the issue with the tape is "tainting a jury pool", that her father hasn't even seen it. He certainly wouldn't be included in that jury, and I agree that to even get to the jury part of this you have to find out what happened to her and who did it. The owners of the shop clearly saw it, and I don't buy the idea that the video could be too upsetting to her family/friends, because she was alive when she walked out of there, and how could that possibly be more upsetting than the fact that she hasn't been located and nobody's in custody for this crime?? Not only would releasing the video allow someone that knows the guy to see something, anything that could help identify him, but her family and friends know her alot better than LE and her employees of one month. Maybe something in her reaction would give some insight to whether or not she actually does know the guy that took her, and her reactions would be alot more "readable" by people in her circle than by anyone else.

Couldn't they blur the part that might show Samantha and any weapon being held on her and just show the guy, his outline, size, gait, etc. anything someone might recognize? Worrying about a jury and a trial is beyond absurd at this point...JMO stuff like that is what cost the Powell boys their lives...

BBM I 100% agree with this statement

and the 2nd one also

bdawk20: I've not heard that any charges were brought against CB, except the RO (which was never done...).

Fuller: I agree, to a point. I've thought from the very beginning that her daddy knows what and whom but not where... hoping she is home soon.

I know CB is a popular subject as a suspect due to the RO, but since the petition was already dropped because she was a no-show, then it seems he would have already gotten what he needed. There are no further charges it seems, so case closed. So unless he just really, really hates her and he's really, really dumb I can't see why he would be behind this. Why get out from under the threat of the RO just to face the kind of charges this action would bring? So, like I said, unless he's really, really dumb I'm leaning towards this being someone else about something else. Something we clearly are unaware of, but it seems maybe her dad knows.

jmo

I know CB is a popular subject as a suspect due to the RO, but since the petition was already dropped because she was a no-show, then it seems he would have already gotten what he needed. There are no further charges it seems, so case closed. So unless he just really, really hates her and he's really, really dumb I can't see why he would be behind this. Why get out from under the threat of the RO just to face the kind of charges this action would bring? So, like I said, unless he's really, really dumb I'm leaning towards this being someone else about something else. Something we clearly are unaware of, but it seems maybe her dad knows.

jmo

I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with CB, wouldn't be surprised either tho. And a big MOOOOO ahead- I also don't necessarily think we are being told all regarding the surveillance tape. I have my suspicions that it shouldn't be viewed in order to *protect* Sam. I believe a ransom is involved. MOO

(I'm good with being wrong, but I hope I'm right and she's still alive!)

MANY, including relatives ...

A poster on JK's page is saying if anyone sees or hears anything suspicious with these teen girls, keep your eyes and ears out. Listen to the word on the streets, not just "kid chatter", may mean more than you think. Watch and listen to your children. Hmmnn?

Read it. Just kind of confirms my suspicions. I'm wondering of things got out of hand... didn't expect the whole world to be looking for this beautiful loved girl. MOO

LE must be onto him, and hoping to find Samantha alive. I hope so.

Why else would they not release the tape?

I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with CB, wouldn't be surprised either tho. And a big MOOOOO ahead- I also don't necessarily think we are being told all regarding the surveillance tape. I have my suspicions that it shouldn't be viewed in order to *protect* Sam. I believe a ransom is involved. MOO

I'm good at being wrong too :) , and I still wouldn't be shocked if he is involved either (it's still totally possible he's that dumb!)

A ransom would make a lot of sense as to how the police and Ms. Koenig's father have proceeded in this case. But if it were a ransom situation wouldn't it have been resolved a while ago? That's the only thing that doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure. I guess part of my thinking is based on international abductions. Is it illegal to pay a ransom?

NANCY GRACE
Aired February 9, 2012 - 20:00 ET

GRACE: Back to Samantha`s father, James Koenig.

James, it`s my understanding that at one point you could see the skin on the hand and we know it is a white male, is that correct, James?

JAMES KOENIG, FATHER OF MISSING TEEN GIRL ABDUCTED FROM COFFEE SHOP: No, Nancy, that is not correct. I have not seen the video. I was not anywhere near to give visual on the perpetrator.

My own personal opinion is not everything possible has been done to rescue this girl.

Okay, then LE doesn't think that showing the security video to the family would have any benefit, since the guy can't be identified. Got it.

Nagging question:

"The armed man walked to the Common Grounds Espresso stand on Tudor Road near Gambell Street about 8 p.m. Wednesday and forced Koenig to leave with him on foot" and "The door was locked and the windows boarded and locked, which is normal closing procedure"

Yet - the abductor allowed her to lock up? Or had she had already boarded up the windows and the door automatically locks when the door is shut? If she had started closing and already boarded up the windows, perhaps the abductor knocked on the door and she opened it expecting her boyfriend/ride? This should be evident in the video.

"Koenig's boyfriend, Dwayne, planned to pick up Koenig after her shift ended at 8 p.m., said James Koenig, her father. Markiewicz said the boyfriend was delayed by work.*"By the time he arrived, she was gone," Markiewicz said" and "When he hadn't heard from Samantha by late Wednesday, James started calling her repeatedly.*"I called her cellphone until the battery finally died, and texted it and everything," James said. "It would ring until it went to voice mail. And then, noon yesterday, it just went to voice mail, straight out."

Really? Girlfriend? So I speak to my girlfriend about picking her up and not to long after, I arrive and she is not there? My girlfriend - not a friend or acquaintance. If there is not something wrong here, it is a lesson to parents/family. The police do their job, and in most cases, a phenomenal job. But protocol and experience probably says a "missing" 18 y/o person is not uncommon. If I think someone is missing, that video tape would have been reviewed late Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Also not clear to me, what was the boyfriend doing? If I was the BF, I probably would have been with the father or my own friends trying to figure out why my GF went missing.

Not sure. I guess part of my thinking is based on international abductions. Is it illegal to pay a ransom?

This case is confusing me and experience tells me things are rarely as they seem on the surface. The reward fund grew rapidly, but instead of thinking it is a ransom. I feel it could also just be a desperate Father who thinks a large amount of money will motivate someone to talk.

The million dollar question; Is this a stranger abduction or someone known to her? What's the motivation?

What I find strange about this case is the lack of details we are seeing about Samantha's life. Lot's of people are talking, but we aren't hearing even the most basic things about her?

This case has a few similarities with Holly Bobo's abduction. Looking at where Holly's investigation is today, I am starting to agree with Fuller Malarkey's point of view regarding law enforcement's handling of this case. Trust me, I'm a law and order kind of girl. But over time, if you read enough about these cases, you start to wonder about the level of trust we should have in the abilities of LE. I do not mean this as a blanket statement, rather it is unique to certain cases. This being one of them.

I actually applaud the actions of Samantha's Father. It doesn't seem like APD thinks he is doing anything to harm their investigation and I like his independent spirit. He's not just appearing at PC's and waiting for LE, he's down in the trenches, doing everything he can to find his daughter.
icon14.gif

This case is confusing me and experience tells me things are rarely as they seem on the surface. The reward fund grew rapidly, but instead of thinking it is a ransom. I feel it could also just be a desperate Father who thinks a large amount of money will motivate someone to talk.

The million dollar question; Is this a stranger abduction or someone known to her? What's the motivation?
What I find strange about this case is the lack of details we are seeing about Samantha's life. Lot's of people are talking, but we aren't hearing even the most basic things about her?

This case has a few similarities with Holly Bobo's abduction. Looking at where Holly's investigation is today, I am starting to agree with Fuller Malarkey's point of view regarding law enforcement's handling of this case. Trust me, I'm a law and order kind of girl. But over time, if you read enough about these cases, you start to wonder about the level of trust we should have in the abilities of LE. I do not mean this as a blanket statement, rather it is unique to certain cases. This being one of them.

I actually applaud the actions of Samantha's Father. It doesn't seem like APD thinks he is doing anything to harm their investigation and I like his independent spirit. He's not just appearing at PC's and waiting for LE, he's down in the trenches, doing everything he can to find his daughter.
icon14.gif

And to add to that question, what is it that makes her dad say he does not believe Samantha knew the actual abductor, but that the person was acting on behalf of someone that knows her? That statement would lead one to believe he thinks he knows the motive....

Nagging question:

"The armed man walked to the Common Grounds Espresso stand on Tudor Road near Gambell Street about 8 p.m. Wednesday and forced Koenig to leave with him on foot" and "The door was locked and the windows boarded and locked, which is normal closing procedure"

Yet - the abductor allowed her to lock up? Or had she had already boarded up the windows and the door automatically locks when the door is shut? If she had started closing and already boarded up the windows, perhaps the abductor knocked on the door and she opened it expecting her boyfriend/ride? This should be evident in the video.

"Koenig's boyfriend, Dwayne, planned to pick up Koenig after her shift ended at 8 p.m., said James Koenig, her father. Markiewicz said the boyfriend was delayed by work.*"By the time he arrived, she was gone," Markiewicz said" and "When he hadn't heard from Samantha by late Wednesday, James started calling her repeatedly.*"I called her cellphone until the battery finally died, and texted it and everything," James said. "It would ring until it went to voice mail. And then, noon yesterday, it just went to voice mail, straight out."

Really? Girlfriend? So I speak to my girlfriend about picking her up and not to long after, I arrive and she is not there? My girlfriend - not a friend or acquaintance. If there is not something wrong here, it is a lesson to parents/family. The police do their job, and in most cases, a phenomenal job. But protocol and experience probably says a "missing" 18 y/o person is not uncommon. If I think someone is missing, that video tape would have been reviewed late Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Also not clear to me, what was the boyfriend doing? If I was the BF, I probably would have been with the father or my own friends trying to figure out why my GF went missing.

Welcome to WS, great first post!! :wagon:
BBM, I think this is the explanation. She had already started the closing process when she was taken.

I agree with another poster who questions Dwayne saying "it was a mess". What was a mess? Dwayne evidently lived off and on with Samantha in her Father's home (past nine months), per a news story. He would know James well enough to call him and say Samantha was gone when I got there to pick her up, did you come get her?

Strangely, of all the things that have been said, the actions of James and Dwayne that night are still a mystery. Further, I understand that it was Common Grounds who reported Sam missing the following day. James met police at the stand, but it was not him that called. I guess this is just a matter of timing? Or perhaps because money was missing, CG wanted to get that into a police report for insurance purposes?

I agree with another poster who questions Dwayne saying "it was a mess". What was a mess?

sbm

I assume Dwayne means the inside of the coffee shop as reported by the am worker & owner the next day..Surely, he never saw it himself since there was no way for HIM to get in that night (or to even look inside) with the windows boarded up & the door locked..Right?

An interesting comment by the dad re: how unsafe the shop is:

"You know these coffee stands do not need house windows in em that can fit a human body through. All you need is enough to fit a 20 ounce cup a coffee through it,” Koenig said.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2012/02/10/koenigs-father-plans-vigil-says-stands-not-safe/

Is this just his assumption the perp came in thru the window OR does he know this for sure from LE?

Whatever happens, I HOPE she's found alive!, should the Common Grounds be sued? Can they be? I have a strong feeling we'll see this happen at some point.

eta..WELCOME!! NotSoSmart :)

sbm

It's possible she's done this before? That's the ONLY thing that makes sense to me. :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx