AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Notsosmart, you're perty smart!! Great post!

Knox, my only other offering is blackmail/ revenge to the dad/family OR something to do with CB and a group of friends who didn't realize things would get so deep... MOO. I lean towards dad and need to do more sleuthing regarding that recent Anchorage drug bust. MOO

Praying often for you, Sam!!

sbm

I assume Dwayne means the inside of the coffee shop as reported by the am worker & owner the next day..Surely, he never saw it himself since there was no way for HIM to get in that night (or to even look inside) with the windows boarded up & the door locked..Right?

An interesting comment by the dad re: how unsafe the shop is:

"You know these coffee stands do not need house windows in em that can fit a human body through. All you need is enough to fit a 20 ounce cup a coffee through it,” Koenig said.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2012/02/10/koenigs-father-plans-vigil-says-stands-not-safe/

Is this just his assumption the perp came in thru the window OR does he know this for sure from LE?

Whatever happens, I HOPE she's found alive!, should the Common Grounds be sued? Can they be? I have a strong feeling we'll see this happen at some point.

eta..WELCOME!! NotSoSmart :)

The way Dwayne phrased it, it didn't read to me as the shop was a mess. I guess the whole situation was a mess? Maybe waiting for her or looking for her, or calling her Dad? Don't know, wish we could have the whole quote and the context in which it was said.

In the video posted a day or two back, it seemed to me that the perp may have come in thru the window or maybe pulled her out the window? Maybe she never locked the shop because she never went out the door?

You know what? I guess it doesn't make sense, because I thought I read that the windows were boarded up.

I am so confused! I have been following this case and keep coming back to this question. What did the bf do AFTER he saw Sam? In one report he says,"it was a mess." Well what was a mess? Did anybody ever question him? I highly doubt he would just go home and forget about her not being there. Did he see 2 sets of footprints?? Was there any marks out of the ordinary in the snow? Did he call mutual friends to see if anybody else saw anything? IMO I think they need to start at the beginning and find out just what his answers were? I read that they have no reason to suspect him, but have they ever cleared him? I have never posted before otherwise I would have replied to the other person who posted questions about the bf.

The way Dwayne phrased it, it didn't read to me as the shop was a mess. I guess the whole situation was a mess? Maybe waiting for her or looking for her, or calling her Dad? Don't know, wish we could have the whole quote and the context in which it was said.

In the video posted a day or two back, it seemed to me that the perp may have come in thru the window or maybe pulled her out the window? Maybe she never locked the shop because she never went out the door?

You know what? I guess it doesn't make sense, because I thought I read that the windows were boarded up.

If she never went out the door how did she board up the windows? It would be a little hard to do that from the outside.

Knowing the windows were boarded up I highly doubt the perp came in through the window either. Do you really think he would have made her board up the windows if he was actually abducting her from the coffee shop once he came in through the window?

I just can's see someone jumping in through the window and making her board up or lock down the shop before he takes her away (through the door) against her will. What difference would it have made to him if the shop was locked?

JMO

In a coffee cart town, abduction makes baristas' vulnerability real

http://community.adn.com/?q=adn/node/159694

Talks about how many young women are so vulnerable in ALaska in these shacks - having to close up and walk to their cars in the dark at night. I think this is horrible. This is a horrible way to treat our young women. Makes me so angry.

I thought it was interesting that they are making coffee cups with her missing flier on it.

Welcome to WS, great first post!! :wagon:
BBM, I think this is the explanation. She had already started the closing process when she was taken.

I agree with another poster who questions Dwayne saying "it was a mess". What was a mess? Dwayne evidently lived off and on with Samantha in her Father's home (past nine months), per a news story. He would know James well enough to call him and say Samantha was gone when I got there to pick her up, did you come get her?

Strangely, of all the things that have been said, the actions of James and Dwayne that night are still a mystery. Further, I understand that it was Common Grounds who reported Sam missing the following day. James met police at the stand, but it was not him that called. I guess this is just a matter of timing? Or perhaps because money was missing, CG wanted to get that into a police report for insurance purposes?

I wonder if Samantha's father knew about it? Did someone call him for ransom but then the stand called it into the police and messed everything up?

Now I sound like a Hollywood MOvie script.

Here's the quote:

Samantha's boyfriend Dwayne says he spoke with her just minutes before she was abducted and says "everything was fine." He was supposed to give her a ride home from work.

"I had the only means of transportation for her and I got off work and went to go get her, and she wasn't there. It was a mess," says Dwayne.

It reads to me more like he means the situation was "a mess", but I too pondered earlier in this thread what happened after Dwayne got there and she was gone...the situation being a mess implies that she wasn't there, he felt concerned, called her phone, called her dad, called her friends and came up empty, resulting in "a mess".....but I've never seen any confirmation either way regarding what exactly he did when he got there "just minutes after her abduction".

I felt that he thought it was a "mess" that she wasn't there and he couldn't reach her...but it does not make clear if he tried calling her dad, or called anyone else besides her phone and why he did not report her missing?? Where on earth did he think she could have gone? I'd like to know when her father learned she was missing, did he say?

A few people have asked about footprints in the snow - this was a coffee shack in the middle of a parking lot, which is probably plowed and salted so no footprints would be there.

I am so confused! I have been following this case and keep coming back to this question. What did the bf do AFTER he saw Sam? In one report he says,"it was a mess." Well what was a mess? Did anybody ever question him? I highly doubt he would just go home and forget about her not being there. Did he see 2 sets of footprints?? Was there any marks out of the ordinary in the snow? Did he call mutual friends to see if anybody else saw anything? IMO I think they need to start at the beginning and find out just what his answers were? I read that they have no reason to suspect him, but have they ever cleared him? I have never posted before otherwise I would have replied to the other person who posted questions about the bf.

I've been super hesitant to broach this subject, but since you brought it up....I have lots and lots of questions about the bf. Does surveillance show him pulling up right after the abduction? Does he walk up and attempt to open the door (this would lead you to believe she knew he was almost there and unlocked the door so he could maybe just come in while she cleaned up and finished making those 2 cups of coffee that were reportedly left on the counter), or does he knock? It's on Dwayne's word, I'm assuming, that he spoke to her right before she was abducted....without her phone, I don't know that they can verify that he actually spoke to her unless it was via text and shows sent from his phone in the right timeframe. He says he was going to be late, and it seems since he says he spoke to her that she would have been aware of that, but again, we don't even know that for sure. ALso, so little info about how he reacted when he realized she was not there.
I've had another thought in my head revolving around her bf and the RO that she did not follow through with on CB, but I'm going to hold onto it for a while because I think it's going to be wildly unpopular........

ETA: I don't want this post to come off as an accusation towards the bf, I'm just obviously not sure what happened, and am thinking aloud down different avenues :)

Welcome to WS, great first post!! :wagon:
BBM, I think this is the explanation. She had already started the closing process when she was taken.

I agree with another poster who questions Dwayne saying "it was a mess". What was a mess? Dwayne evidently lived off and on with Samantha in her Father's home (past nine months), per a news story. He would know James well enough to call him and say Samantha was gone when I got there to pick her up, did you come get her?

Strangely, of all the things that have been said, the actions of James and Dwayne that night are still a mystery. Further, I understand that it was Common Grounds who reported Sam missing the following day. James met police at the stand, but it was not him that called. I guess this is just a matter of timing? Or perhaps because money was missing, CG wanted to get that into a police report for insurance purposes?

One other small thing that doesn't make sense: we were told that the whole reason Samantha got a job in this coffee shack was to make money to pay off a new truck she had just bought. Well then why did she need a ride at all? If I just bought a new truck I'd be pretty keen on driving it any chance I got. Maybe she let her boyfriend use it sometimes though, including that night? Anyway it's not a big deal but just something that hasn't made sense to me from the start.

Regarding the boyfriend and his reactions that night, there are a number of possibilities.

First, we don't really know anything about their relationship or the victim, so maybe this was not an uncommon occurrence. It could be that they had a rocky relationship and when the boyfriend was late to pick her up, he figured she got pissed and got a ride from someone else. In a scenario like this her boyfriend might have been ticked and perhaps slightly concerned, but not so afraid as to alert her dad and/or the police.

A second scenario is that he doesn't live with her and her dad and simply assumed that she had gone home. This would explain why neither he nor her dad did anything that night, because perhaps assumed that she was with the other one.

Another scenario, which is admittedly getting a little out there, is that her boyfriend and her dad immediately had an idea of what might have happened to her and why, but did not want to involve the police (at least initially). This would explain why it was the people from Common Grounds who actually reported her missing.

At any rate, it is worth mentioning that the police have said her boyfriend is not a suspect. Whatever his recounting of the events that night was, the cops were apparently satisfied with it.

Just thinking about what evidence could be on the video that LE would not want the perp or public to know.

Knowing the shop was open for over 6 hours the next morning before LE might have sealed it off as a crime scene I doubt any fingerprint evidence would be left behind as far as where the video might have shown what or where in the coffee hut the perp might have touched and left a fingerprint, but you never know. DNA evidence could have been left behind also if known were to look for it. The video might show this as well.

If this person frequented the "inside" an attorney could explaining away why his prints or DNA might have been in the hut because he was frequently inside the coffee hut before Samantha was abducted. But LE could say that we pulled your print or DNA from this exact location on the counter, cabinet, ect. and you are recorded on the surveillance footage as touching that exact location the night you took Samantha. Thus is how we know you are the culprit.

Do we even know if the hut was examined as a crime scene? I haven't heard anything to support that.

Just one angle what LE might be thinking, how this might taint a jury I have no clue.

JMO

One other small thing that doesn't make sense: we were told that the whole reason Samantha got a job in this coffee shack was to make money to pay off a new truck she had just bought. Well then why did she need a ride at all? If I just bought a new truck I'd be pretty keen on driving it any chance I got. Maybe she let her boyfriend use it sometimes though, including that night? Anyway it's not a big deal but just something that hasn't made sense to me from the start.

Regarding the boyfriend and his reactions that night, there are a number of possibilities.

First, we don't really know anything about their relationship or the victim, so maybe this was not an uncommon occurrence. It could be that they had a rocky relationship and when the boyfriend was late to pick her up, he figured she got pissed and got a ride from someone else. In a scenario like this her boyfriend might have been ticked and perhaps slightly concerned, but not so afraid as to alert her dad and/or the police.
A second scenario is that he doesn't live with her and her dad and simply assumed that she had gone home. This would explain why neither he nor her dad did anything that night, because perhaps assumed that she was with the other one.

Another scenario, which is admittedly getting a little out there, is that her boyfriend and her dad immediately had an idea of what might have happened to her and why, but did not want to involve the police (at least initially). This would explain why it was the people from Common Grounds who actually reported her missing.

At any rate, it is worth mentioning that the police have said her boyfriend is not a suspect. Whatever his recounting of the events that night was, the cops were apparently satisfied with it.

I've thought about that too....I have a 17 year old nephew, and his relationships are very immature. If my husband came to get me at work and I wasn't there, he'd panic. If my nephew went to pick up his gf at work and she wasn't there, in all seriousness, he'd probably just think she was a b*tch for leaving and would go home.

If anybody has it "in context" I'd like to see it.

They're saying it was all boarded up & locked but maybe not at the time the perp got in? Her back may have been turned at that moment but she would've heard it no? She also had time to get all her belongings before leaving but it's possible she already had done that? I dunno, wish we knew more!

If she never went out the door how did she board up the windows? It would be a little hard to do that from the outside.

Knowing the windows were boarded up I highly doubt the perp came in through the window either. Do you really think he would have made her board up the windows if he was actually abducting her from the coffee shop once he came in through the window?

I just can's see someone jumping in through the window and making her board up or lock down the shop before he takes her away (through the door) against her will. What difference would it have made to him if the shop was locked?

JMO

So nobody would suspect there was a problem? If everything had been left open surely her b/f would've called LE? This way nobody knew nothing til the am.

I felt that he thought it was a "mess" that she wasn't there and he couldn't reach her...but it does not make clear if he tried calling her dad, or called anyone else besides her phone and why he did not report her missing?? Where on earth did he think she could have gone? I'd like to know when her father learned she was missing, did he say?

He says Samantha is a sweet girl, describes her as "everybody's best friend" and says he knew something was wrong when she didn't come home from work on Wednesday.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...r-of-abducted-barista18-pleads-for-her-return

Very vague, though. Not sure if he means when she simply didn't come home he knew something was wrong, or if maybe Dwayne had called him earlier looking for her, and THEN when she didn't show up at home he knew something was wrong.

If anybody has it "in context" I'd like to see it.

They're saying it was all boarded up & locked but maybe not at the time the perp got in? Her back may have been turned at that moment but she would've heard it no? She also had time to get all her belongings before leaving but it's possible she already had done that? I dunno, wish we knew more!

In post #291 in this thread I posted Dwayne's quote and the link.

Here's the quote:

Samantha's boyfriend Dwayne says he spoke with her just minutes before she was abducted and says "everything was fine." He was supposed to give her a ride home from work.

"I had the only means of transportation for her and I got off work and went to go get her, and she wasn't there. It was a mess," says Dwayne.

It reads to me more like he means the situation was "a mess", but I too pondered earlier in this thread what happened after Dwayne got there and she was gone...the situation being a mess implies that she wasn't there, he felt concerned, called her phone, called her dad, called her friends and came up empty, resulting in "a mess".....but I've never seen any confirmation either way regarding what exactly he did when he got there "just minutes after her abduction".

I think it can be taken either way cos it's been confirmed it was a "mess" inside..I also think she MAY have done this before when he was coming to get her=not as concerned as he should've been?

I haven't seen any confirmation of anything other then he called her cell but I may have missed it.

JMO

Plus, knowing this was a drive-up business, my feeling is that the second the last customer left the window and it hit closing time, the first thing she probably did was board up the windows so nobody else would pull up. I've worked retail and in a veterinary office that accepted walk-ins. I can tell you that in both cases, the first things we would do at closing was lock the doors so you wouldn't have people showing up 10 minutes after you closed and walking in.

Great point about the 'new' truck! It's good to see someone else is wondering IF this was not the first time she wasn't there when he went to pick her up..I also wonder about their relationship..:waitasec: B/F in what way? There's so many possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx