AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the article is incorrect. The affidavit mentions no transactions prior to February 28th. It doesn't mention any ATM transactions in the "hours after" SK was abducted. I didn't think that was right because the complaint states the crimes occurred between 02/28 and 03/13.

Also, the affidavit does not specify when the truck robbery was reported.

Nope it doesn't mention anything before Feb 28 ... it does mention that not everything known is written too. :banghead:

Could Person A be Duane?

If they saw the man rummaging around in their vehicle at 3:00 AM, why didn't they confront him or call LE? JK doesn't seem to be the wilting flower type. They got a good enough look at him to see he was wearing a ski mask.

I just thought of the same thing that Duane could be Person A. The article said it was a truck that the debit card was taken from. Could it have been taken from SKs truck which Duane had been driving?

It actually doesn't say when he used it first.

snipped: It wasn't until the end of February that a man -- described as muscular and light-skinned, based on surveillance footage -- was seen in the surveillance video making cash withdrawals with the card, according to the affidavit.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/22/23860...-koenig-case.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

The "was seen" made me think it was the first time he actually was seen - not necessarily the first time he used it.

See Bessie's comment above...the Feb 28th date suggests this was when the use started, I believe--- thanks for the info.

I feel like this was important.

Was it reported right away?

Or was it reported a little later? As in "crap, they might be on to us, better report that card stolen!!!!"

I really thought this quote from the article was redundant -
""The case is ongoing, obviously, and they're hopeful of a positive resolution," Parker said. "We have every cop in Alaska looking for her. When we find Samantha, people will know where she is."

Another weird thing about this--the person tried to withdraw $600 from the debit card at one use.

Doesn't *everyone* know that you generally can't do that?

I think mine has something like a $300 limit. I don't know, maybe it's $500 or maybe some debit cards have a higher limit than others. But SIX HUNDRED dollars? I'd think that just about anyone with half a brain would know that was unlikely to work. And would probably raise eyebrows when it didn't.

It just really goes against IK being some kind of criminal mastermind that orchestrated a high profile abduction.

And....who leaves their debit card in their car?
My dad and DH would rather me be taken than their credit cards LOL. The cards are in their wallets against their bums whenever they are away from the house.
JMO

I really thought this quote from the article was redundant -
""The case is ongoing, obviously, and they're hopeful of a positive resolution," Parker said. "We have every cop in Alaska looking for her. When we find Samantha, people will know where she is."
Me too. It's like that retail one "If it's in stock, we've got it.". DUH!

Another weird thing about this--the person tried to withdraw $600 from the debit card at one use.

Doesn't *everyone* know that you generally can't do that?

I think mine has something like a $300 limit. I don't know, maybe it's $500 or maybe some debit cards have a higher limit than others. But SIX HUNDRED dollars? I'd think that just about anyone with half a brain would know that was unlikely to work. And would probably raise eyebrows when it didn't.

It just really goes against IK being some kind of criminal mastermind that orchestrated a high profile abduction.

Interesting that the affidavit says that $400 was over the limit on 3/8... "10. On 03/08/2012, at approximately 1:24am MST, there was an attempted $400.00 withdrawal at the Western Bank located at 711 Main Street in Lordsburg, New Mexico using Person A's stolen VISA debit card to access the same Credit Union 1 bank account. The withdrawal was declined by the ATM, because it would have exceeded the daily withdrawal limit. " Does it vary by ATM? Strange (?)

I could look this up, but does anyone know offhand if Las Vegas is a hub for flights from Alaska?

Interesting that the affidavit says that $400 was over the limit on 3/8... "10. On 03/08/2012, at approximately 1:24am MST, there was an attempted $400.00 withdrawal at the Western Bank located at 711 Main Street in Lordsburg, New Mexico using Person A's stolen VISA debit card to access the same Credit Union 1 bank account. The withdrawal was declined by the ATM, because it would have exceeded the daily withdrawal limit. " Does it vary by ATM? Strange (?)

Lordsburg, NM has about 2,000 people that live there. Little town.

And....who leaves their debit card in their car?
My dad and DH would rather me be taken than their credit cards LOL. The cards are in their wallets against their bums whenever they are away from the house.
JMO
With the PIN, no less!

Okay, I came by here for some quick clarification. And instead I am hopelessly confused.

I could look this up, but does anyone know offhand if Las Vegas is a hub for flights from Alaska?

Nope.
Seattle and Minneapolis are the big hubs out of Anchorage. At certain times of the year, you used to be able to get a non-stop to SFO. There MAY be flights on Delta that go non-stop to Salt Lake City, but none that I know of to Las Vegas....

Well, the article is incorrect. The affidavit mentions no transactions prior to February 28th. It doesn't mention any ATM transactions in the "hours after" SK was abducted. I didn't think that was right because the complaint states the crimes occurred between 02/28 and 03/13.

HA! You rock Bessie, thanks for getting the affidavit!
icon14.gif

How old is Duane? The affidavit said that the card was issued in Sept. 2005. I don't think he is old enough to have a 7 year old debit card.

I wonder if IK really did fly to Vegas or not. It seems like it would be easy and quick for the police who pulled him over to find out of the car really was rented from the LV airport.

And then there's the maps with directions from North to South in California. Maybe IK flew into Vegas and then drove through California, and then on to the I-10 to begin his route through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I don't know why he would do that, but it seems like he must have been doing something illegal with his driving route, the money rolled up on the floor, ect.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned; I can't seem to read the previous page of notes on my phone

The bank card use, hours after it was stolen, could have been someone else. They say the 28th was the first time the disguised man was SEEN on video using it. Maybe before that Samantha used it. Or maybe he lucked out with finding somewhere without video surveillance.

If the card was stolen from someone known to Samantha, they must have known something was up, to not get it cancelled.

I wonder if we will ever know the whole story. It is a puzzle.

Can anyone run this?

Texas license plate DH4N930

Is that allowed? I will edit if no...

Scratch this question. The timing's all wrong. He told LE he flew to LV on 03/07, but he used the card in Wilcox, AZ, 500 miles from LV, at noon on 03/7. And then there were the maps with driving routes through California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtbag