AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't James write his note denying things CB and his mother said, on March 7?

My latest bothering thingy:

The withdrawal amounts are odd.
2/28 - attempt to withdraw $600 failed due to exceeding daily limit.
2/28 - withdrew $500 (even though daily limit had been exceeded earlier)
2/29 - withdrew $500
3/07 - wirhdrew $400
3/08 - attempt to withdraw $400, failed because it would exceed daily limit (so someone else is using a card on the account?) One minute later a balance enquiry is done, one minute after that $80 is withdrawn.
3/09 - no withdrawals
3/10 - withdrew $480
3/09 - no withdrawls
3/12 - withdrew $480

Really odd amounts being withdrawn no?

My latest bothering thingy:

The withdrawal amounts are odd.
2/28 - attempt to withdraw $600 failed due to exceeding daily limit.
2/28 - withdrew $500 (even though daily limit had been exceeded earlier)
2/29 - withdrew $500
3/07 - wirhdrew $400
3/08 - attempt to withdraw $400, failed because it would exceed daily limit (so someone else is using a card on the account?) One minute later a balance enquiry is done, one minute after that $80 is withdrawn.
3/09 - no withdrawals
3/10 - withdrew $480
3/09 - no withdrawls
3/12 - withdrew $480

Really odd amounts being withdrawn no?

Wow. Just trying to catch up but it looks like IK got rejected on his first attempt on 2/28 and then tried again later for a lower amount and was successful. The failed withdrawal on 3/8 (early am) might be because it was not a full day from the last withdrawal on 3/7 (just before midnight). He checks and sees he still has $100 he could withdraw and just takes $80 to be on safe side. After that, he goes for $480, just under the daily limit.

I could look this up, but does anyone know offhand if Las Vegas is a hub for flights from Alaska?

I think it depends on where you're going/coming from. I've never gone through Las Vegas. Usually Seattle or Minneapolis is the first stop in my experience.

Shouldn't have answered until I got caught up. ;)

This is crazy. My first thought is the same as z560. I think the disguise must be what led them to think he's connected to Sam. Remember when the owners of CGE said it was obvious the perp was very intentional about not being seen on the video?

I think the disguise must be at least part of their connection.

Though it seems almost impossible, I think it is important not to rule out the possibility that he could have had Sam with him- either willingly or non-willingly. I know the borders present a problem, but...nothing in this case appears like it actually is!
Please debunk me. The only way I can imagine it happened is if she went willingly (highly highly doubtful) or if he somehow was able to sneak her through. I would also say he would never be so dumb to try this...but...he was driving around with rolls of cash in his door pockets and his disguise in the trunk. This indicates: 1) not so smart, 2) extremely brazen, and/or 3) had no clue he was going to get caught...I think there could be equal chance of 1 and 3 and have no idea of 2. Just don't think we should take this off the table.

Also, if he did have markers on his map from N. Cal to S. Cal... perhaps he picked up some marijuana and was doing drops along his way down? He may be hooked in....

The whole thing seems so bizarre. I wonder if he had more cards than the ones he has used to far? I was thinking a $3000+ balance really isn't that much when considering gas prices, the fact that he was driving all over the place for it..but if he was lead to believe he wouldn't be caught and had other cards he planned to tap into next?? Maybe?

I wonder if he drove up to all the atm's or not. They mentioned seeing the car in at least some of them. Thinking about how the perp walked up to CGE to avoid the vehicle being on camera..

all imo

Also, if he did have markers from N. Cal to S. Cal... perhaps he picked up some marijuana and was doing drops along his way down? He may be hooked in....

Possible. I keep thinking about the "rolls of money." I immediately thought- the amount they listed wouldn't look like that much.

So IMO he was making money another way along the way, or it could be he was getting funds from other accounts not yet disclosed?

Yes, they do. I see it quite often.

ThenIshould have said: it is a term that cops use all the time and good reporters never do :)

It actually means taken without proof, in legal speak it can get you out of trouble copwise. Pedantics.

Possible. I keep thinking about the "rolls of money." I immediately thought- the amount they listed wouldn't look like that much.

So IMO he was making money another way along the way, or it could be he was getting funds from other accounts not yet disclosed?

Agreed. $2400 give or take is not "rolls"-- unless it is all in $ 1's... ;)
No chance of that, assuming this is the cash that came out of the machines.
The maps could have been old. Triptiks from AAA are marked like that for you...keep this in mind... but assuming they are NOT old...I think he had multiple errands on this trip. If he thought he was getting busted, why not head straight for the border...he appears to have meandered - just given his known stop offs...I don't think he flew into Vegas, either.

Haven't posted here in a long time, but following all posts. Where are Sam's grandparents? Last I saw was "in the lower 48," but where? Anyone know if they are JK's parents or her mother's?

Haven't posted here in a long time, but following all posts. Where are Sam's grandparents? Last I saw was "in the lower 48," but where? Anyone know if they are JK's parents or her mother's?

Just thinking the same thing. Aren't they on vacation in the states? Could paths have crossed along the way?

We use the same atlas for all our road trips. It's marked up.

The perp is described as having a muscular build. When I saw the photo of Keyes' in the sleeveless shirt, all I noticed was a little gut. A few of posters here mostly described him as looking older than 34. None of us said, whoa, he's a muscular guy.

Well, anyone who did the slightest bit of physical work might be described as "muscular build" compared to someone whose job is reviewing security tapes...

I still don't see a conclusive link to the original (alleged) theft of the card and IK... the thief was described as wearing dark clothing, while IK was wearing a light sweatshirt and improvised mask. Obviously what you wear in an Anchorage winter is different from in the Southwest, but it doesn't prove anything - and the gap before the card was used is significant.

The mask makes it obvious he wasn't using the card in good faith, i.e., having been given it in payment for some quasi-legit deal. But if he knew it was stolen but was told it was okay to use, and it was payment for something nefarious, he might have taken steps to protect himself. Even if IK wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he took a route that would allow him to visit ATMs where he would be unlikely to encounter any other customers (the mask look is difficult to pull off without notice), and having established the limit through trial and error, he then stayed under it. If he paid for the flight to Vegas via the card,

Could Sam have been connected to the original theft (as having the PIN is essential to this scenario) but the card have then changed hands? Are the original kidnappers having a good laugh as IK, having received the card in exchange for something (i.e., keys to a house) is now the fall guy?

But if so, what did they tell IK to convince him this was a good idea? If he was the kidnapper, he would have to be an absolute moron to be using the card... not impossible, but improbable.

If he was using the card as a payment, and the name on the card was James Koenig, wouldn't alarm bells go off? But Duane was careful to keep his last name out of the news. If this card belongs to a person close to SK, whose PIN she might know, more likely Duane's than James... If that is the scenario at all.

Sorry, first cup of coffee ramblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member