DNA Solves

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
3459UMAL.jpg
3459UMAL1.jpg
3459UMAL2.jpg
7B854F82-0757-40CC-BDF8-694CBB6FB9F1.jpeg
Reconstruction of Decedent; jewelry recovered with the remains.

Date of Discovery: March 25, 1981
Location of Discovery: Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama
Estimated Date of Death: 3-12 years prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Cause of Death: Unknown

Estimated Age: 22-29 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Male
Height: 6'1", estimated
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Unknown

Clothing: Tan bell bottom pants; light colored long sleeved shirt with blue/gray and olive drab irregular design resembling a "camouflage" type design; light colored boxer type undershorts.
Jewelry: Heavy metal medallion type frame, with no discernible lettering; copper colored medallion with the inscription "New Orleans" at the top surround by a frame, the letters "F, R, E, and N" are present just below the "New Orleans" sign, an elongated building beneath the latter word, to the right of the building are a male and female dancing, the inscriptions "MARD" and "GRAS" are present below the dancers, the inscription "ST. LOUIS CATHEDRAL" with an etched design of a complex of buildings below the dancers; bits of corroded metal chain type of necklace; ornate ring with ten white insets which appear consistent with rhinestones with remnants of etched letters on the inner aspect that cannot be discerned; copper colored bracelet with Native American type designs and an imprint of an owl.
Additional Personal Items: 1967 Lincoln US penny

Circumstances of Discovery
Skeletal remains were found by a coal drilling crew performing mineral research. The remains were found in a remote area approximately 200 feet south of the old Daniel Payne College campus. Daniel Payne College had been closed since 1979 after sustaining significant damage from a tornado in April 1977.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Jefferson County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Bill Yates
Agency Phone Number: 205-930-3603
Agency Case Number: 1981-0263

Agency Name: Birmingham Police Department
Agency Case Number: H166999

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 15895

NOTE - The news article gives a few differing vital stats. Granted, this was printed within days of his discovery and some of this information was probably narrowed down following further examination, but I thought it was worth pointing out. The newspaper clipping seems to give a more detailed description of a couple of the jewelry pieces.

Race: “he was mixed race, but may have appeared black”
Height: 6’3” - 6’5”
Physical Characteristic: “the man’s bone structure shows that he probably had muscular forearms”

I went through Alabama cases yesterday and checked Namus, Louisiana Repository for Missing and Unidentified, BlackAndMissing, CharleysProject for this one. It seems pretty impossible. :/

Newspapers might hold the answer but I guess a black man going missing in the 1960/1970's in the South wasn't considered newspaper worthy back then :(

The reconstructions are horrible in my opinion. No offense to the artist, I probably couldn’t do any better. Especially considering what they probably had to work with. I wonder if they’re thinking he could have been a victim of the tornado(s), which seemed to have caused a great deal of destruction in the area?

Tornado outbreak of April 1977 - Wikipedia

Daniel Payne College - Wikipedia
Daniel Payne College - Bhamwiki

The college moved locations a couple of times over the course of its history, but I think (if I’m reading correctly) from 1974 until its closure, it was located on “the southeast corner of Cherry Avenue and Daniel Payne Drive (Sayreton Road then) on the far northern edge of Birmingham”. It appears to be a pretty tree covered area with not a lot of buildings around. I’m not sure how it would have been back then, but the area of discovery was described as remote so I assume about the same. It’s no wonder he wasn’t discovered for quite some time.

Maybe someone better than me at maps/street views can post a visual reference.

“At the time of its closure, the college had 120 students enrolled on the 153 acres campus.” That’s not an awfully lot of people. I wonder how we’d go about finding out if any of them turned up missing.

Last edited:
The jewelry with him seems remarkably feminine to be worn on a man... I don’t see many men wearing rhinestones, ornate cuffs, and even the pendant has more of a floral pattern around the edge. I wonder if that belongs to a female relative? He was carrying or wearing as a tribute?

The jewelry with him seems remarkably feminine to be worn on a man... I don’t see many men wearing rhinestones, ornate cuffs, and even the pendant has more of a floral pattern around the edge. I wonder if that belongs to a female relative? He was carrying or wearing as a tribute?

I remember watching the 1970's blaxploitation movies, where the bad guy was always dressed fine, and wore lots of bling (not necessarily matching or masculine in nature).

The copper cuff looks Cherokee, with the sacred symbol of the owl. According to legend, they are revered, as well as, feared. Only medicine men can tell the difference between a real owl, and a witch posing as one.

I have a charm bracelet that has a very similar charm to that necklace... it is from the early 70’s. It is also copper, I think, or copper something.
That is cool about the cuff Coffeeandacig...

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original.jpg
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
Missing Person Unit
601 East 5th Street Charlotte, North Carolina 28202

Crime Stoppers: 704-334-1600
Missing Person
Name: James Harold Smith
NIC No: M152273726
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 230 pounds
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Gray
Complaint Number: 20141031-115400
Case Information: In June 1979 James Smith was having a hearing in Mecklenburg County Court the last time his family saw him. In the 1980s it is believed that James Smith stayed at a residence on Honeywood Avenue. James Smith is 68 years old at the time of this report. Detective: J. L. Tuttle (704) 336-8340
Missing From: 720 East 4th Street Charlotte, North Carolina

*North Carolina Cherokee Nation. May have sought refuge in AL Cherokee area.
**Looks to be of mixed race

Perry Ray Robinson Jr.
MP Perry Ray Robinson.jpg
A civil Rights Activist, MP travelled to South Dakota from Alabama, to participate in the American Indian Movement (AIM) takeover of Wounded Knee.
DLC: April 1, 1973 in Pine Ridge, SD
35 years old
6' 2"
200 lbs.
Black hair / Brown eyes
*I wouldn't think he is mixed race...But that is just me.

PS...I would love to get my hands on doing a new rendition of this unidentified man!
And thanks @Panhypopit!

Last edited:
View attachment 282048
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
Missing Person Unit
601 East 5th Street Charlotte, North Carolina 28202

Crime Stoppers: 704-334-1600
Missing Person
Name: James Harold Smith
NIC No: M152273726
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 230 pounds
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Gray
Complaint Number: 20141031-115400
Case Information: In June 1979 James Smith was having a hearing in Mecklenburg County Court the last time his family saw him. In the 1980s it is believed that James Smith stayed at a residence on Honeywood Avenue. James Smith is 68 years old at the time of this report. Detective: J. L. Tuttle (704) 336-8340
Missing From: 720 East 4th Street Charlotte, North Carolina

*North Carolina Cherokee Nation. May have sought refuge in AL Cherokee area.
**Looks to be of mixed race

Perry Ray Robinson Jr.
View attachment 282051
A civil Rights Activist, MP travelled to South Dakota from Alabama, to participate in the American Indian Movement (AIM) takeover of Wounded Knee.
DLC: April 1, 1973 in Pine Ridge, SD
35 years old
6' 2"
200 lbs.
Black hair / Brown eyes
*I wouldn't think he is mixed race...But that is just me.

PS...I would love to get my hands on doing a new rendition of this unidentified man!
And thanks @Panhypopit!
Great minds! ;) I came to mention both. I think James especially. I wasn’t sure about Perry because everything I’ve read seems to point towards him being killed in SD. But with him having a connection to Alabama and them still never finding him in SD, I think he’d be worth submitting also!

Ronald is closer in the NamUs/Doe Network’s age range and still fits the other vital stats. I’m not sure I see a resemblance but his photo was taken 5 years before he disappeared and the recon is difficult to use to compare with anyone really.

upload_2021-1-31_15-21-23.jpegupload_2021-1-31_15-21-38.jpeg

The reconstruction is fairly useless unfortunately... I would just use the stats. No way to properly use that picture imho.

Couple things that strike me in the recon are his wonderfully high cheekbones, and strong jawline.

I'll ask and see if James Smith has been compared to this man.
As with all cases, just because Namus publicly posts 0 comparisons for this man, doesn't mean there aren't any.

The jewelry indicates a possible connection to New Orleans, LA.

St. Louis Cathedral, mother church of Louisiana’s extensive Catholic population, is the international symbol of New Orleans. Among the tallest buildings in the French Quarter,...Since 1850, the cathedral’s impressive three-steeple facade has been the backdrop for presidential speeches, diplomatic visits, and countless tourist snapshots, gradually becoming not only New Orleans’s most recognizable building but also the iconic image of the city...

3006.jpg

LINK:

St. Louis Cathedral - Know Louisiana Cultural Vistas magazine

I remember watching the 1970's blaxploitation movies, where the bad guy was always dressed fine, and wore lots of bling (not necessarily matching or masculine in nature).

The copper cuff looks Cherokee, with the sacred symbol of the owl. According to legend, they are revered, as well as, feared. Only medicine men can tell the difference between a real owl, and a witch posing as one.

I'm not so sure that cuff is Native American. My first reaction when seeing it was that the symbol is the owl of Athena and the border is a Greek key.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back