AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, i am awful at computers, i know i use chrome, let me see if i can tell you which one i have....i guess i look under settings? my son put it on there for me, let me look

FOUND IT TimelineRemove 0.9.8

It seems that I have been able to read my ex's private page too with this. hee hee

It is free, guess you just google that....

okay, i am awful at computers, i know i use chrome, let me see if i can tell you which one i have....i guess i look under settings? my son put it on there for me, let me look

FOUND IT TimelineRemove 0.9.8

It seems that I have been able to read my ex's private page too with this. hee hee

It is free, guess you just google that....

Or could she possibly be with him or left with him? Since he isnt posting, where is he?

Did that work for you Concerned Outsider

And please don't tell me that my LONG post disappeared.....I can't find it anymore..do you see it? The one all about JM? You are right, where are they??

I noticed the message of May 27 about a road trip to Texas???
Maybe she was serious!

Law enforcement followed up on that lead almost immediately. They were able to confirm that BW had not taken a road trip with the person that she was talking to on Facebook.

She may have planned to travel separately, but if that's the case how did she actually get there? She had options, but none of them are very good options.

janeycat1 - The way that I understand the rules is that we are not allowed to sleuth BW"s friends and post the info on WS unless they have been named by law enforcement as a POI/suspect in mainstream media. The same also applies to BW's family members. If you have any questions about what is okay to post, you can send a message to a mod and ask before posting.

That's just the way that I understand it to be, but if I am wrong, can someone please help clarify?

janeycat1 - The way that I understand the rules is that we are not allowed to sleuth BW"s friends and post the info on WS unless they have been named by law enforcement as a POI/suspect in mainstream media. The same also applies to BW's family members. If you have any questions about what is okay to post, you can send a message to a mod and ask before posting.

That's just the way that I understand it to be, but if I am wrong, can someone please help clarify?

newbie here, but from my observations you are correct.

@janeycat : I wrote you a note yesterday thanking you for all your research and wonderful info but I managed to lock myself out or who knows?
lost the post anyway. Lol
Hope you have copies of all your posts, just in case. :)

janeycat,
Analyze is correct. That is why your post disappeared. On the first page of the forum are the rules, etc. Don't want you to get a time out. Just trying to help.

The federal and state agencies are not side-stepping the issue. They are actually very involved with the family and supporters. In actuality, they are basically saying that the local agency, being the MPD, failed to notify them according to Federal and State requirements and has refused their assistance in Brittney's case. To me, that isn't side-stepping.

*The Alabama Bureau of Investigation Center For Missing and Exploited Children (which is also responsible for missing adults per Alabama Code - Section 26-19-2) DOES HAVE BW listed as:
a Missing adult, category: Involuntary.

*BW missing person case number is 120600259

*Alabama Code - Section 26-19-1: DEFINITION OF MISSING PERSON:
A person 18 years old or older whose disappearance is possibly not voluntary.

*There are several specific functions of this bureau, however some are irrelevent to BW missing person investigation, such as campaigns to fingerprint children, therefore I included only included the ones that correspond to this case:Alabama Code - Section 26-19-4: SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF BUREAU:
(1) To receive and promptly enter into the Department of Public Safety's computer system all reports of law enforcement agencies, and other persons and agencies, of missing children and adults, exploited children, and of unidentified deceased persons, and all pertinent information submitted by the person or agency reporting which is contained in any investigation or investigations conducted pursuant to the report...
(2) To coordinate with and provide assistance to state and local public and private nonprofit agencies, including those of other states and the federal government, in investigating cases of missing persons, exploited children, and unidentified bodies and to conduct appropriate investigations.

*Alabama Code - Section 26-19-7: DUTIES OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES UPON RECEIVING REPORT OF MISSING PERSON:

Upon receiving a report of a person believed to be missing, the law enforcement agency shall conduct a preliminary investigation to DETERMINE WHETHER the PERSON IS MISSING. If the person is determined to be missing, the agency shall immediately enter identifying and descriptive information about the person to the Alabama Center for Missing and Exploited Children (ACMEC) and to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) through the Criminal Justice Information Center (CJIC). Law enforcement agencies having direct access to the CJIC and the NCIC computer shall enter and retrieve the data directly and shall cooperate in the entry and retrieval of data on behalf of law enforcement agencies which do not have direct access to the systems. Law enforcement agencies shall likewise report or enter data to ACMEC relating to unidentified deceased persons.

So, BW is indeed being categorized as an INVOLUNTARY MISSING PERSON by LE agencies. Missing Persons Case numbers are not assigned until an investigation yields the possibility that a person 18 years or over is involuntarily missing. Due to this reasons the Alabama Bureau of Investigations has attempted to provide supplementary resources (including state funding ), but MPD feels it is not in need of assistance and has refused it. From my personal conversations with residents here in Alabama, MPD's decision to refuse funding from the ABI's and other auxiliaries, is being viewed as irresponsible.

I know it can be confusing as different states have different laws. I hope this helps clarify the confusion about BW being categorized, by LE, as an involuntary, missing person.

Good, glad to hear. Might I ask if you have a MSM link to affirm your notion that federal and state agencies are involved in the search for Brittney. Her family reports frustration to get Brittney noticed. AFAIK MPD lists Brittney as a missing adult possibly of her own free will.

This case has been riddled with posters throwing out facts and come to find out, it's only their own projecture.

Looking forward to your links.

Here a link regarding your inquiry on BW missing persons status. Despite all the confusion (... and I know there's a lot of it !) and condictory statements, as of 7/2/12 the official status of Brittney Wood per the Alabama Bureau of Investigation is Missing Adult, Involuntary. The missing persons case is Active
(if the person is located or found deceased then the case becomes Cancelled/Closed) and has been assigned Missing Persons
Case Number:120600259

Alabama Code - Section 26-19-7 states that BY LAW the LE agency that originally reported the person missing to the state, must also immediately report
The person to "... the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) through the Criminal Justice Information Center (CJIC). Law enforcement agencies having direct access to the CJIC and the NCIC computer shall enter and retrieve the data directly and shall cooperate in the entry and retrieval of data on behalf of law enforcement agencies which do not have direct access to the systems."

I personally have not come across any official statement that MPD completed the section in quotations about NCIC. However, if I do I will be sure to post. Also, considering the circumstances surrounding the case, many wish to see her status bumped up to "endangered ". From personal conversations, I know some view MPD's decision to not honor these requests as "quite disconcerting", "rather heartbreaking" and even "imperious". (<--- for those of you reading from north of the Mason-Dixon...yes, the words in quotes were really used. Only in the deep south would young women talk like this on a daily basis! Hahaha! I guess us southern belles sometimes like to use a little dramatic flair in order to get our point across...ha :) )

Hopefully, you will find this link useful and it will help answer some of your questions :) http://dps.alabama.gov/Community/wfSearch.aspx

PS - When you click on this link it will ask for your search criteria. Just type in "wood" for LAST NAME, select Alabama for STATE and Missing Adult for TYPE. Then hit "search" and BW is the first case that comes up.

I check in on this BW thread every night, hoping for news. I so hope that she is in witness protection, or on the run, or, well, just somewhere, alive and having some sort of life. This young lady sure has her fair share of troubles, so sad.

(Please don't anyone get alarmed by my lurking around this case. I live in Tasmania, Australia, further away is hard to imagine, I joined WS due to an Aust case, and each night I sort of hold my breath when I check this thread, hoping for good news)

*The Alabama Bureau of Investigation Center For Missing and Exploited Children (which is also responsible for missing adults per Alabama Code - Section 26-19-2) DOES HAVE BW listed as:
a Missing adult, category: Involuntary.

*BW missing person case number is 120600259

*Alabama Code - Section 26-19-1: DEFINITION OF MISSING PERSON:
A person 18 years old or older whose disappearance is possibly not voluntary.

*There are several specific functions of this bureau, however some are irrelevent to BW missing person investigation, such as campaigns to fingerprint children, therefore I included only included the ones that correspond to this case:Alabama Code - Section 26-19-4: SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF BUREAU:
(1) To receive and promptly enter into the Department of Public Safety's computer system all reports of law enforcement agencies, and other persons and agencies, of missing children and adults, exploited children, and of unidentified deceased persons, and all pertinent information submitted by the person or agency reporting which is contained in any investigation or investigations conducted pursuant to the report...
(2) To coordinate with and provide assistance to state and local public and private nonprofit agencies, including those of other states and the federal government, in investigating cases of missing persons, exploited children, and unidentified bodies and to conduct appropriate investigations.

*Alabama Code - Section 26-19-7: DUTIES OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES UPON RECEIVING REPORT OF MISSING PERSON:

Upon receiving a report of a person believed to be missing, the law enforcement agency shall conduct a preliminary investigation to DETERMINE WHETHER the PERSON IS MISSING. If the person is determined to be missing, the agency shall immediately enter identifying and descriptive information about the person to the Alabama Center for Missing and Exploited Children (ACMEC) and to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) through the Criminal Justice Information Center (CJIC). Law enforcement agencies having direct access to the CJIC and the NCIC computer shall enter and retrieve the data directly and shall cooperate in the entry and retrieval of data on behalf of law enforcement agencies which do not have direct access to the systems. Law enforcement agencies shall likewise report or enter data to ACMEC relating to unidentified deceased persons.

So, BW is indeed being categorized as an INVOLUNTARY MISSING PERSON by LE agencies. Missing Persons Case numbers are not assigned until an investigation yields the possibility that a person 18 years or over is involuntarily missing. Due to this reasons the Alabama Bureau of Investigations has attempted to provide supplementary resources (including state funding ), but MPD feels it is not in need of assistance and has refused it. From my personal conversations with residents here in Alabama, MPD's decision to refuse funding from the ABI's and other auxiliaries, is being viewed as irresponsible.

I know it can be confusing as different states have different laws. I hope this helps clarify the confusion about BW being categorized, by LE, as an involuntary, missing person.

The only reason why Brittney is listed is because supporters, like FootballMom and myself, have called these agencies on a daily basis to ask their assistance. Each agency I have personally spoken with has stated their own concern about the way this case has been handled by local LE and would love to assist further but are limited by procedures that are in place to safeguard the separation of powers from local, state and federal agencies. While I am a proponent of said separation there should also be consequences for agencies that do not even follow their own protocol when it comes to missing persons. I cannot provide links to send people to my phone conversations but FootballMom did offer numbers for you to call yourself so you don't have to take my word for it. Most of the agencies listed by FootballMom have offered their assistance to the MPD and that assistance has been refused.

I would like to point out that the NCMEC will only take an application from an investigating law enforcement agency because Brittney is over the age of 17 so ABI and the US Marshal's cannot add her to the registry unless the MPD accepts their assistance.

Sorry I previously overlooked this, but BW is registered on the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database as a missing person.
NCIC #: M850757903 (click on link and its listed toward bottom on page )

http://dps.alabama.gov/Community/wfAlertFlyer.aspx?ID=9717988a-1e50-4af8-87d1-a2ad5cae66c6

Thanks, BamaMagnolia, for all the wonder comments and links.

“Suzanne’s Law” amends Section 3701 (a) of the Crime Control Act of 1990 so that there is no waiting period before a law enforcement agency initiates an investigation of a missing person under the age of twenty one and reports the missing person to the National Crime Information Center of the Department of Justice.

This is mandatory. Prior to "Suzanne's Law" the Act stated that law enforcement must notify the NCIC immediately. Under the amendment it gives a timeframe of within 2hrs, because the term "immediate" meant different things to different people, of a missing persons report being filed with the agency.

There are some state snd local agencies that are fighting to get this changed that do not believe runaways are missing children. (Alabama is not one of these states.)

The only reason why Brittney is listed is because supporters, like FootballMom and myself, have called these agencies on a daily basis to ask their assistance. Each agency I have personally spoken with has stated their own concern about the way this case has been handled by local LE and would love to assist further but are limited by procedures that are in place to safeguard the separation of powers from local, state and federal agencies. While I am a proponent of said separation there should also be consequences for agencies that do not even follow their own protocol when it comes to missing persons. I cannot provide links to send people to my phone conversations but FootballMom did offer numbers for you to call yourself so you don't have to take my word for it. Every agency listed by FootballMom has offered its assistance to the MPD and that assistance has been refused.

I would like to point out that the NCMEC will only take an application from an investigating law enforcement agency because Brittney is over the age of 17 so ABI and the US Marshal's cannot add her to the registry unless the MPD accepts their assistance.

I have been following this case from the start and I can attest to your claim that LE only reported BW as a missing person because of seriously concerned and upset citizens. Its a shame, but If people outside of BW family had not spoken up, then her case would have been swept under the rug. From researching MPD history, I have discovered this agency typically does not thoroughly investigate, (nor puts large amounts of effort ) into cases where a female is endangered /possibly endangered by an acquaintance. A primary example is the article I posted about MPD not being pro-active in disclosing rapes to the public and not reporting them to the FBI. I can promise that I definely do not posses the mentality that something will, "never happen to me" because I don't, "hang out with" or "know those kind of boys "...MPD should NOT have this mentality either!!! This is very, very unsettling and disturbing to say the least. Furthermore, I have been researching the prevalence of LE's failure to properly communicate with state and federal agencies and it is shocking. Much scholarly research is currently being conducted on efficient intelligence reporting, as it is one of the most problematic areas with LE. A reoccuring theme is improper and inconsistant data anaylsis from local LE agencies to NCIC. These research endevours are mostly funded by federal, state, and other LE agencies, as many are required to conduct self evaluation studies, every few years, by law. Since the described research is published in peer-reviewed, academic journals one must have permission to access them. However, if you are connected in any way to a college or university then you will be able to access hundreds of scientific studies pertaining to this topic. Search for the studies at your institutions scholarly research online database or in the periodical section of the library. If you do not have access to a university then I would suggest google scholar. There are many scientific studies, void of opinions and theories (and if they are theories, then they are based on creditable, objective, data) on google scholar.

Thanks for letting me share and I hope this information proves to be as interesting and useful to yall as it has been to me! :)

Ok, since there has been talk about human trafficking... I have been sleuthing a little more... The MT on BW's FB page that she stated that she was going to go and see on May 27, is friends with a JT (same last name, possibly relative?).... ok, here's the thing.... the FB profile pic of JT is a face completely covered except the eyes? could this possibly be staring us right in the face?

There was a firearm theft in April on BW's street. I can not tell which of the four houses on that street it was it just says 7000 block. Does anyone know of some where I can look for more on something like that?

http://ec2-174-129-243-60.compute-1.amazonaws.com/crime/28273889-1ea3417af50a93af819c3714c0070f13

Here is a link to a post by Zeaux. It has a map showing the neighborhood of CW's house and DK's house. Zeaux posted this after DK's arrest when we were discussing how close CW lived to DK.
Also, IIRC Zeaux confirmed that Brittney acquired the pistol thru a 'trade'.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #2

Ok, since there has been talk about human trafficking... I have been sleuthing a little more... The MT on BW's FB page that she stated that she was going to go and see on May 27, is friends with a JT (same last name, possibly relative?).... ok, here's the thing.... the FB profile pic of JT is a face completely covered except the eyes? could this possibly be staring us right in the face?

Very creepy

Don't know if this was mentioned, but saw Charlene Shunick, sister of Mickey Shunick who is missing in LA, posted on the hometown search fb page. Words don't describe how she has handled herself in the midst of her sister going missing and the arrest of a suspect in her murder. She was also one of the driving forces in getting Mickey's case front and center with searches, MSM, LE and the public. In the midst of all that she finds time to post on Brittney's page. Unbelievable!!! I wonder if there has been communication between her and the Wood's, whether a shoulder to lean on being thrown into similar, albeit different, circumstances and whether she has shared any ideas, thoughts, inspirations for the Wood's on how to cope and yet push for answers. With everything going on in her life, I would be surprised, but I was pleasantly surprised to see she had time to post on the FB page in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc