AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Alabama media could cover the case without making a big deal over the whole football player connection. Someone posted that Brittney and this guy aren't even blood relatives and there's no proof that they ever met. She's his uncle's wife's sister's daughter. If we are going to argue that this is a fascinating case, then why couldn't they cover it without mentioning her football cousin? If there are other interesting elements, why not focus on them?

eileen... LOL at "Uncle's wife's sister's daughter". That kinda brings that aspect of this case into perspective, at least as far as Brittney is concerned. However, it is the Uncle of the football player that has committed so many heinous crimes. I don't believe this person has squat to do with this case. I can see very clearly why he would not want his image involved in this mess. He's young, and a rising star with Ms Alabama on his arm. I don't blame him for not getting involved. Not one bit.

I’m confused and don’t know how to evaluate the media in this case where key players in BW's family seem to have been less than forthcoming to LE by LE’s own words and to the public, by my speculation.

I just get the feeling that if I were a journalist assigned to cover this story, I’d be very leery of info told to me except by LE – and LE doesn’t seem to be doing much talking on the subject.

I agree with you about that, and so can't understand how the original misinformation story made it into the papers unchecked.

Does anyone know if journalists have been able to interview Brittney's Dad?

I have to say that I'd stay away from this case also if I were Miss Alabama.

They do have a well-known quarterback who is close to this case...but then again it is his uncle who has sexual abuse charges against him. I have no idea how they have kept his name out of the news stories about DK...but then again...I don't have their $$$ or pull.

IDK if you live around here (I live in Alabama) but if not, and for others who don't maybe I can help you understand why the press does not link him to this story. People in this state are rabid football fans. They take it very serious. I don't watch FB myself and neither does my husband, but I swear to you, the phrase "roll tide" will warm people up to you in an instant. Especially people who favor the color crimson. Even building inspectors. My husband makes a habit of using it when he is doing a project locally. Unless of course you are in Auburn, then it might get your teeth kicked in. (I'm exaggerating of course but seriously, if you're ever in Auburn, Al don't say that .)

If the press tried to link him to this case when there isn't one shred of evidence that he is connected to BW being missing or this sex/drug ring, the public would crucify them. Not to mention never buy their paper or watch their news stations (heck, probably the whole channel that was fool enough to try and link him)

If you ever do see them linking him, know that they have some kind of proof that he is involved or that they have decided to commit corporate suicide.

That's very helpful WhoaIsMe, thank you. In England we have a few national newspapers that cover the whole country and don't really have to take local opinions into account too much. So, for example only, if David Beckham's cousin/aunt/uncle disappeared or did something wrong, they would definitely run with the story. I've seen articles detailing what a vague relation bought in a store one day. Not saying it's right, mind you!

I used Beckham as an example of an English football player people here might have heard of, excuse me if you have no idea who I'm talking about.

I'd still like to know why there don't seem to be any articles quoting Brittney's dad. Am I missing something?

I think we have to remember that the Bama player isn't blood related to Brittney & may never have even met her. DK is accused of being involved in a sex ring that centered in/around Brittney's blood family. If I were him I'd want nothing to do with the uncle & that family by marriage that were involved im the sex ring. I wouldn't bring it up.

Drawing attention to Brittney's disappearance would only draw attention to the uncle involved in sex crimes, and it's understandable why a young, gifted athlete & college student would want to distance himself from DK & the Woods (or even just a regular kid trying to fit in at college or anywhere- if I were related to these people I'd surely deny it). Even if he weren't well-known, he probably would even want other college students to know he had family like DK or was even tangentially connected to the likes of the Woods with their meth & sex abuse issues. My guess is that while plenty of college students at Bama & other similar universities have family members with meth problems they 1) aren't something they want to be widely known and 2) aren't nearly as messed up as the Kents-Woods as far as the child sex ring.

What I'm saying is that he would probably rather hide under a rock than let it be known he's connected to these people at all - and would be like that whether he was well-known or not.

He also may not have ever known Brittney. While plenty of us at WS are all about finding missing people we've never met, most people aren't as concerned, especially college-age kids - I say this as someone who works at a sizeable state university.

Yes, he could draw attention to Brittney's case. In his position, many of us at WS would do so. But then he'd also be drawing attention to the fact that he's related to someone accused of sex crimes against kids & connected to a family deep in meth & child sex abuse (even though it's possible he never even met many of the people involved in this case or Brittney herself). It's not what I (or many of us on this thread) would do, but I understand if he'd rather pretend he doesn't know DK from Adam & has never even heard of the Wood family. I'm not gonna judge him too harshly.

That's very helpful WhoaIsMe, thank you. In England we have a few national newspapers that cover the whole country and don't really have to take local opinions into account too much. So, for example only, if David Beckham's cousin/aunt/uncle disappeared or did something wrong, they would definitely run with the story. I've seen articles detailing what a vague relation bought in a store one day. Not saying it's right, mind you!

I used Beckham as an example of an English football player people here might have heard of, excuse me if you have no idea who I'm talking about.

I'd still like to know why there don't seem to be any articles quoting Brittney's dad. Am I missing something?

Brittney's Dad tends to get a little "emotional" so I think they feel it's best if his wife/Britt's step Mom handles the interviews. JMOO

Oh, rolltidemom, so delicately phrased. I know exactly what you mean, but a journalist is not under any obligation to quote every single thing a person says in their article. And I have seen good - very good - journalists get information from people that really couldn't be used in an article. But they have then used that insider information/opinion in an interview with another person, to provoke answers that person maybe didn't want to give.

I'm not one of them, but I have known really good, investigative journalists who do this and I don't think there is one working on Brittney's case yet, imo.

Brittney's Dad tends to get a little "emotional" so I think they feel it's best if his wife/Britt's step Mom handles the interviews. JMOO

If you google Brittney Wood and Wallace Hanke, you'll find he's spoken out for Brittney. He was out searching on his own every day. The fact remains that Brittney was allegedly last seen leaving Chessie's house.

IMO Mr Hanke has good reason to get a little emotional. Chessie's continuous fibbing comes to mind. :waitasec:

Brittney's step mom really does a wonderful job when meeting with reporters.

Bolded by me. How do we know this? Speaking as someone who lived the majority of my life in Alabama, although not presently, and IMO:
  • There's no blood relation between the accomplished college football player and the missing Brittney
  • It's a stretch to think that Brittney and he knew each other. Maybe they knew OF each other. How many of your uncle's wife's sister's daughters do you know?
  • I have faith in LE. They have convoluted cases on their hands, with uncooperative players. In time, it will all unravel, the perps punished, and Brittany will be found. If the National press put predssure on the players, maybe it would help some. (Pollyanna speaking here. :blushing: )

They were acquainted.
There was at one point a photo of them posted on someone's fb that made it's way out. I'm not sure if it was ever allowed to be posted here due to TOS. It's not available for public viewing on that fb anymore, but I bet someone saved it somewhere.

To answer your other question...
Yes I have met the extended families of all of my Aunts and Uncles, as well as the families of various cousins, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law. Over the years we have interacted at many weddings,funerals,reunions, graduation parties, and holiday gatherings. My own family has met my ex-husband's extended family even though his family lives 950 miles away. It's just not that unusual.

And to clarify....I really don't blame him for distancing himself from the whole ugly mess. He has no idea what happened to BW, so I doubt there's much he can contribute.
I just find it really interesting about how the media handled the link. We know who he dates...it's all over the national media including AOL facepage...but not a word about his uncle.

If you google Brittney Wood and Wallace Hanke, you'll find he's spoken out for Brittney. He was out searching on his own every day. The fact remains that Brittney was allegedly last seen leaving Chessie's house.

IMO Mr Hanke has good reason to get a little emotional. Chessie's continuous fibbing comes to mind. :waitasec:

Brittney's step mom really does a wonderful job when meeting with reporters.

I agree 1000%

WhoaIsMe, could not have explained that better! I have seen Bama fans behave VERY BADLY over a stupid football game. Auburn fans too, but there don't seem to be as many Auburn fans as Bama fans. To me, this does have ALOT to do with the media coverage in BW's and the Sex crime case. Before comments and posts starting getting deleted on certain social media sites, BW was friends with AJ and she has mentioned him and was proud to know him. Seems she was a Bama fan too. I don't agree that he should say or do anything in either case though. He isn't involved and probably doesn't know anything about the cases.

As far as WP...from what I know about it, which isn't a lot, LE would not be able to give any kind of info about it. Meaning, if they stopped KlassKids from searching by telling them she is in WP, that would violate the terms of the WP. I have no idea what to make of any of this, just like almost everyone here. I really don't think she is still alive. And I do think WWH and even CW know exactly where she is and what happened to her.
I have theories and I am not sure DH is the key as much as WWH. It was clear to me from the beginning that WWH was very jealous of the relationship DH had with BW...MOO

If it's all in caps, you can bet your bottom dollar it will violate TOS! Thank you anyway, I saw the ref to 'Ron'. Just wondering, as r is just above the d on a keyboard, if this isn't just a slip of the finger? Hope so, I'm confused enough already, with all the initials we have in this case.

Ron Holland was an older brother to DH.

From Social Security records he was:
Ronald W. Holland
Born: 28 Oct 1965 Died: 2 Oct 2011
His last residence is listed as Talladega, Alabama.

Ron Holland was an older brother to DH.

From Social Security records he was:
Ronald W. Holland
Born: 28 Oct 1965 Died: 2 Oct 2011
His last residence is listed as Talladega, Alabama.

OK ... the skeptic in me has to ask:

Was there anything suspicious about the death of RH, DH's older brother? What was the stated cause of death?

Did BW ever live/visit RH, say in the summer of 2009?

Could the following press release from the Tuscaloosa Co Sheriff's Office be the same BW?
http://www.tcsoal.org/pr/p1261161674.pdf?PHPSESSID=0f9b21fc84e6dfeb23bc303981dfb55c

I understand why AJ doesn't want to come within a 10 foot pole of Brittney's case. He has millions of dollars riding in the upcoming draft and where you fall in the draft is so much about PR. He could get good PR from trying to help Brittney but the downside is that he would have that much more negative fallout because of the case against his uncle. If it were just Brittney, I would hope he would try to help, even if he never met her. If I found out a relative, even distant, had gone missing, I would do what I could to try to help if I was in his position. Unfortunately, it's not just Brittney missing and his handlers won't let him any where near this even if he wanted to.

What I am shocked about is that reporters haven't jumped all over that angle. No, he isn't blood. No, he isn't involved in any way. But how many times do you see reporters go for the sensational headlines or stories. On the one hand, I am surprised that the media hasn't jumped on that angle because it would catch people's eyes and increase sales. On the flip side, my impression is that football is almost a religion to many in Alabama and possibly local media fears the backlash if the star player's name is mentioned in the same sentence as a missing girl/sex abuse investigation.

I think I said it before, but these rape charges are far reaching. Not just the immediate victims, but Brittney's investigation. Look at what the University of Louisiana-Lafayette did in the Shunick case. I think they wore a resemblance of her on their helmets, and there was no relative on the football team, distant or not. Can you imagine the exposure Brittney's case could get from Alabama doing something similar in the national championship game? Never going to happen because of the rape charges. Sad in so many ways.

I remember reading about Ron Holland dying somewhere when DH died, don't think it was a murder or suspicious death. Tuscaloosa cty and Talladega cty are not close to each other and both are at least 4 hours from Mobile. Also in 2009 BW was either pregnant or just had her daughter. FWIW I tried to find where I read about Ron's death, but no luck.

Reedus, you are correct. Alabama football is a religion here. I think it's crazy, but that is the way it has always been. I have lived in Alabama most of my life and one of the best ways to make friends or start a fight is to talk Alabama football! Lol I have had friends stop being friends with me because I was a Auburn fan.
I agree with you that it would be awesome to have the media coverage from the bowl game, but like you, I know that will Never happen. I also understand the media not touching this, it's all about the game. There are some very very powerful AL alumni that in my eyes have worked very hard to keep this from happening because of AJ. It is sad. As I have said before, BW's and the sex crime cases are not even in the news at all here in Alabama except for Mobile. Not in Birmingham, Montgomery or Huntsville and that just breaks my heart. I am still hopeing someone nationally will start covering these cases more. Someone needs to stop this craziness and find Brittney!

Ronald and Donald? Wendy and Mendy? :what:

I wonder if fingernail scrapings are done in an autopsy? I also wonder if DH had any strange scratches or signs of a struggle on him. Just thinking...if BW did only have two bullets in her gun at all times, and after DH killed himself with her gun there was one left...how did Brittney die? Would there be any signs or evidence on DH's body?

ETA: I should say: "assuming Brittney is dead, how did she die?"

OK ... the skeptic in me has to ask:

Was there anything suspicious about the death of RH, DH's older brother? What was the stated cause of death?

Did BW ever live/visit RH, say in the summer of 2009?

Could the following press release from the Tuscaloosa Co Sheriff's Office be the same BW?
http://www.tcsoal.org/pr/p1261161674.pdf?PHPSESSID=0f9b21fc84e6dfeb23bc303981dfb55c

Not so sure about that...Tuscaloosa is awfully far from Mobile, and not very close to Talladega, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NancyChancy