Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing i dont understand is the time line of what you stated in relation to the ground she would have to cover. I travel 459 south all the time ( 2x's today) and if she did see the child when she passed, it would take her a good 10 min to circle back to the same stop since its 3 miles to the next exit that has a huge intersection. From what i saw in a recent cam video, it shows that she sat on the shoulder of the road for a good 3 -4 min before driving further up the shoulder of the HWY about 100 yards to where she ultimately stopped. You can literally see her caution lights sitting for 3-4 min before she moved forward which was seconds after she called the police ( 9:34 cst). Thats a good 15 min delay between where she saw the kid earlier and the time she finally arrived back at the hwy sign/landmark. Why wouldnt she have called the cops when she was circling back? Obviously, she had time and she was concerned about the child she said she saw.
I'm guessing she wanted to double back to make sure she really saw a child? Just a guess.

Google Maps is telling me from Taziki's to her parent's neighborhood (I don't know the exact address but MSM published the photo of the sign leading into it) is 6.4 miles, or a 12 min drive if she took 459. There are back roads but probably a lot of lights, so let's say she was indeed on 459 initially to get to the Lake Wilborn area.

The area her car was located in appears to be about halfway home, so let's say it took her 6 min to get from Taziki's to mile marker 11-ish, spotting the supposed toddler as she was zooming by.

She gets off that next exit, backtracks to the Rt 459 and Rt 31 intersection, and gets back on 459 south.

Let's say that leg of the trip took another 6 minutes. Now we're at 12 minutes.

And now another 4 minutes or so to get back to mile marker 11. That's about 16 minutes which would be 9:16 if she left Taziki's at 9:00 on the dot, so I think it's doable.

Of course there would be lights and some traffic, so the time could actually have been 20 minutes or 25 minutes, placing her at the location for the second time around 9:20 or 9:25, and we know her flashing hazards appeared on the Gray Hughes video around 9:31:33.

I think she could have left Taziki's at or around 9pm and doubled back to the location(s) by 9:31.

IF this was a mental health break, I sincerely hope Carlee gets the help she needs to get better. IF this was an abduction, I hope they find the perp.

I firmly believe that part of the MH crisis is stigma. I read the words of a missing man whose father vehemently denies that his son was in a MH crisis at the time he went missing. He could just state he wants to find his son without making it sound like a MH crisis is a horrible concept. It really is a horrible thing to have happen to anyone, but it shouldn't be treated as taboo.

Well, I mean we can assume anything then. I mean, maybe did or maybe he didn't. But honestly, it cannot be chucked to the side without clarification.
If her phone had been found 5 miles away from her car (40 minutes later) - I think you would've seen different statements re: her items and a completely different reaction from the police.

I was also surprised that an officer would make such a mistake - I'd tend to think officers would be really good with directions/distance/locations... - but people make mistakes.

We saw another mistake being made with the reference to "mile marker 10" which we then hear the dispatcher correct... as she(?) informs officers they actually need to get on 459 via 31 (an exit back).

But... if you want another explanation, then it pretty much has to be that the phone was thrown from a car heading down 459S.

I'm guessing she wanted to double back to make sure she really saw a child? Just a guess.

Google Maps is telling me from Taziki's to her parent's neighborhood (I don't know the exact address but MSM published the photo of the sign leading into it) is 6.4 miles, or a 12 min drive if she took 459. There are back roads but probably a lot of lights, so let's say she was indeed on 459 initially to get to the Lake Wilborn area.

The area her car was located in appears to be about halfway home, so let's say it took her 6 min to get from Taziki's to mile marker 11-ish, spotting the supposed toddler as she was zooming by.

She gets off that next exit, backtracks to the Rt 459 and Rt 31 intersection, and gets back on 459 south.

Let's say that leg of the trip took another 6 minutes. Now we're at 12 minutes.

And now another 4 minutes or so to get back to mile marker 11. That's about 16 minutes which would be 9:16 if she left Taziki's at 9:00 on the dot, so I think it's doable.

Of course there would be lights and some traffic, so the time could actually have been 20 minutes or 25 minutes, placing her at the location for the second time around 9:20 or 9:25, and we know her flashing hazards appeared on the Gray Hughes video around 9:31:33.

I think she could have left Taziki's at or around 9pm and doubled back to the location(s) by 9:31.
You need to find time to squeeze in her firing off 3 tweets, too. The last at 9:19.

I've lost my place. Is there a recording where the officer says Exit 1 or was that a transcript? Just say "Yes, there is a recording" and I'll go search for it. Or that it was a transcript. I can easily see someone ham handing 1 for 11 or even 10, and I can see using the word One referring to an exit and not meaning Exit 1. I'd just like to clarify it for myself. TIA.

The spa put out a statement:

“Our greatest concern has always been the well-being of Carlee and her safe return. Woodhouse Spa employees have been deeply impacted by the events that transpired but are now ecstatic with the news of Carlee’s return home. Our employees worked extremely hard through very tough times keeping guests happy while dealing with the fact that their co-worker was missing," said C. Stuart Rome, owner of Woodhouse Spa Birmingham.

"We’ve been working with the Hoover Police Department since Friday morning, the morning following Carlee’s disappearance, in order to come up with any information that would help the investigation. Everything we uncovered is in the position of the Hoover Police Department. We understand the investigation is in a very sensitive state and do not want to release any details that could jeopardize the investigation. Leaks, both true and untrue, can have a devastating impact on any investigation," said Rome. "We understand there are many posts on social media claiming certain information to be true. Some items are factual while others are not. Please rest assured that the Hoover Police Department is working around the clock to bring this case to conclusion. We have great confidence in the investigators and expect a resolution soon."

MSM release more of the scanner

"The RP (reporting Person) had just seen a child walking on the interstate and had gotten out with it when she disconnected,’’ according to police radio communications."

So she said she got out of the car and contacted the child while on with 911?

The thing i dont understand is the time line of what you stated in relation to the ground she would have to cover. I travel 459 south all the time ( 2x's today) and if she did see the child when she passed, it would take her a good 10 min to circle back to the same stop since its 3 miles to the next exit that has a huge intersection. From what i saw in a recent cam video, it shows that she sat on the shoulder of the road for a good 3 -4 min before driving further up the shoulder of the HWY about 100 yards to where she ultimately stopped. You can literally see her caution lights sitting for 3-4 min before she moved forward which was seconds after she called the police ( 9:34 cst). Thats a good 15 min delay between where she saw the kid earlier and the time she finally arrived back at the hwy sign/landmark. Why wouldnt she have called the cops when she was circling back? Obviously, she had time and she was concerned about the child she said she saw.
This is what is confusing to me:

Let's say that a child was used as a ruse. What would be the motive to use a child as a ruse at night, not knowing who would stop to help the child? (1) Robbery/carjacking? (2) Kidnapping/rape? (3) Murder? We have to assume that it was a ruse because the boyfriend said that Carlee fought for her life for 48 hours before "escaping."

So, it doesn't seem that the motive was robbery or carjacking as her phone, her Apple watch, her Mercedes and her purse with wallet were all left behind.

Was the motive kidnapping and rape? If so, how did the perpetrator(s) know that a female and not an armed trucker would stop to help the child? So, this doesn't seem likely to me. If it were people on drugs, it would seem to me that they would have also stolen her Mercedes or at least her purse/wallet with money. It also doesn't make sense to me that she would be permitted to fight for her life and not be killed in the process (like Aniah Blanchard). She was left alive to identify the kidnappers??

Was the motive just to murder some random person who pulled over on the side of the road? If so, the perpetrators are taking a chance by leaving her alive to identify him or them.

How did Carlee get home? Where was she during the time she was missing? Has she spoken to police yet? Has she met with a sketch artist? Is she worried that the kidnapper(s) will return or do this to some other victim?

Is anyone else having the same problem logically understanding this entire situation?

JMO.

Last edited:
If her phone had been found 5 miles away from her car (40 minutes later) - I think you would've seen different statements re: her items and a completely different reaction from the police.

I was also surprised that an officer would make such a mistake - I'd tend to think officers would be really good with directions/distance/locations... - but people make mistakes.

We saw another mistake being made with the reference to "mile marker 10" which we then hear the dispatcher correct... as she(?) informs officers they actually need to get on 459 via 31 (an exit back).

But... if you want another explanation, then it pretty much has to be that the phone was thrown from a car heading down 459S.
I'm not here to explain it. I'm just saying that until they correct that, there is no way that I'm making any assumptions to the contrary. I'll stay open to the fact that others think its a discrepancy but not accepting it as a fact until it is an actual stated fact. Your mileage may vary and that is your deal.

No search or no announced search or suspect already in jail for some reason or another or suspect already under surveillance and no one wants to tip a hand until they get the evidence they want/need? I've seen all of those in various cases.
Has a sketch or anything been released? The quicker the better! IMO

Let's say that a child was used as a ruse. What would be the motive to use a child as a ruse at night, not knowing who would stop to help the child? (1) Robbery/carjacking? (2) Kidnapping/rape? (3) Murder? We have to assume that it was a ruse because the boyfriend said that Carlee fought for her life for 48 hours before "escaping."

So, it doesn't seem that the motive was robbery or carjacking as her phone, her Apple watch and her Mercedes, her purse with wallet were all left behind.

Was the motive kidnapping and rape? If so, how did the perpetrator(s) know that a female and not an armed trucker would stop to help the child? So, this doesn't seem likely to me. If it were people on drugs, it would seem to me that they would have also stolen her Mercedes or at least her purse/wallet with money. It also doesn't make sense to me that she would be permitted to fight for her life and not be killed in the process (like Aniah Blanchard). She was left alive to identify the kidnappers??

Was the motive just to murder some random person who pulled over on the side of the road? If so, the perpetrators are taking a chance by leaving her alive to identify him or them.

How did Carlee get home? Where was she during the time she was missing? Has she spoken to police yet? Has she met with sketch artists? Is she worried that the kidnappers will return or do this to some other victim?

Is anyone else having the same problem logically understanding this entire situation?

JMO.
I think most of us are in that same boat!

In just my opinion only was wondering how long it would take LE to investigate, gather statements, info, etc in order to put together an indictment to take before a judge for an arrest warrant for those involved in this case? Does anyone with LE background know how long it would take for them to get an indictment and warrant(s) for arrest(s)?
Way too many variables to answer this.

So, it doesn't seem that the motive was robbery or carjacking as her phone, her Apple watch and her Mercedes, her purse with wallet were all left behind.

How did Carlee get home? Where was she during the time she was missing? Has she spoken to police yet? Has she met with sketch artists? Is she worried that the kidnappers will return or do this to some other victim?

JMO.
Great questions! I hope we get the answers. I'll add another one:
What if she stumbled into something entirely unrelated to a pre-meditated person lying in wait for a victim?

JMO.
Yes. The first part stood out to me right away. I mean I suppose if a burly trucker stopped they could just grab their kid and say, “He got away from me. It’s okay now.” They may also think a woman is more likely to stop for a child or even notice a child. I don’t know.

I did float the possibility that she found a child and someone grabbed her to prevent a neglect case from being reported. But that seems both far fetched and not likely based on what’s happened since.

But yeah. The improbability of a child being used as bait or of someone using something or some person to pretend it’s a child in order to get a woman to stop- that gives me pause.

What also gives me pause is the timing and hanging up with LE to call a non-LE family member when they are getting ready to approach the child. That’s totally counterintuitive. I think most people would stay on the phone with police in the hopes of getting help for the child as soon as possible. “I’ve got him. I’m putting him my car now. Should I wait here or drive to the nearest exit?”

So, it doesn't seem that the motive was robbery or carjacking as her phone, her Apple watch, her Mercedes and her purse with wallet were all left behind.

How did Carlee get home? Where was she during the time she was missing? Has she spoken to police yet? Has she met with a sketch artist? Is she worried that the kidnapper(s) will return or do this to some other victim?

JMO.
YESSSSSS, absolutely agree! Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean