Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harpersville PD removed their statement about Carlee. The original link is here

This is what is confusing to me:

Let's say that a child was used as a ruse. What would be the motive to use a child as a ruse at night, not knowing who would stop to help the child? (1) Robbery/carjacking? (2) Kidnapping/rape? (3) Murder? We have to assume that it was a ruse because the boyfriend said that Carlee fought for her life for 48 hours before "escaping."

So, it doesn't seem that the motive was robbery or carjacking as her phone, her Apple watch, her Mercedes and her purse with wallet were all left behind.

Was the motive kidnapping and rape? If so, how did the perpetrator(s) know that a female and not an armed trucker would stop to help the child? So, this doesn't seem likely to me. If it were people on drugs, it would seem to me that they would have also stolen her Mercedes or at least her purse/wallet with money. It also doesn't make sense to me that she would be permitted to fight for her life and not be killed in the process (like Aniah Blanchard). She was left alive to identify the kidnappers??

Was the motive just to murder some random person who pulled over on the side of the road? If so, the perpetrators are taking a chance by leaving her alive to identify him or them.

How did Carlee get home? Where was she during the time she was missing? Has she spoken to police yet? Has she met with a sketch artist? Is she worried that the kidnapper(s) will return or do this to some other victim?

Is anyone else having the same problem logically understanding this entire situation?

JMO.
Completely agree. The child as bait just doesn’t make sense on the side of a highway to me. Like you said, highly variable who would even stop to help. Nothing stolen. As a mother of 2 little boys I can tell you that they are impulsive and don’t follow directions easily. Putting one on the side of a highway sounds like the worst possible place to bait someone. And then what, you get someone to pull over and help, then you overpower them while also trying to drag a toddler along? This would have caused a big scene, kids that age don’t keep up on their own. And if their caregiver was in a struggle with a woman they would very likely feed off the stress of the situation and have a meltdown. I don’t know, I mean I just can’t imagine trying to hold my toddler and kidnap someone simultaneously. And I can’t imagine what purpose multiple adults would have to bait some random stranger on the side of the highway with a toddler given the circumstances we know in this case.

I don’t doubt that Carlee went through something traumatic, she is clearly having a difficult time. I wonder if something happened with school or work and her stress just boiled over and she had a bit of break from reality. Or maybe someone else was involved and the truth will hopefully come out. I just can’t wrap my head around the toddler bait thing. At the end of the day I’m just glad she is safe at home. MOO

That's the statement I recall reading early on. Why would they remove it? Hmm.

But why does that not bode well for her?

I guess some people think it implies that social media rumors true or the business would have claimed all rumors were false.
Exactly.

There was speculation specifically about her work conduct, and instead of saying all of it is categorically false or dismissing it as rumor, they allege some of the speculation is true. I'd assume they'd only comment on the speculation involving her workplace.

They removed their highly complimentary (of Carlee) statement??

b
this statement does not bode well for carlee imo. they could've said directly what rumors were not true but they just said "some of it is true" yikes
They didn't need to state this, as noted by my blue arrow... that just adds fuel to the inquisitive fire - what does it mean that they "uncovered something"??? They should have ended their statement at the previous statement as many businesses do. Done.

1689728784006.png

I'm a page or two behind so we may have already moved on from this, but... what if she initially pulled over for some other reason (dropped her phone, got a text, etc.) and it was while she was stopped on the shoulder that she saw what she believed to be a child ahead of her? She calls 911 as she puts her car in gear and moves forward along the shoulder approaching the "child" she'd seen from farther back.

Seems like this could make sense whether she imagined the child altogether or saw something she mistakenly thought was a child. (ETA: or, of course, if she did actually see a child!) Maybe?

Last edited:
this statement does not bode well for carlee imo. they could've said directly what rumors were not true but they just said "some of it is true" yikes

I disagree the statement by CR's employer is negative if read in its entirety, where the subject social media rumor reference is first prefaced by how "Leaks, both true and untrue, can have a devastating impact on any investigation." IMO, the majority of social media comments on any case are typically false rumors. Just another reason WS prohibits social media comments, thankfully! MOO

MOD NOTE:

We previously removed info from IckEdMel's podcast regarding mile marker 10, etc. This is because we do not normally allow scanner info to be discussed, in order to protect the integrity of the investigation.

By now, the info is out there in multiple MSM sources, and Carlee is safe so it's not affecting her well-being, so we are going to allow that discussion. Previously removed posts concerning IckEdMel's podcast and the scanner info discussed there have been reinstated.

b

They didn't need to state this, as noted by my blue arrow... that just adds fuel to the inquisitive fire - what does it mean that they "uncovered something"??? They should have ended their statement at the previous statement as many businesses do. Done.

View attachment 435669
I was just about to post about that.
Interesting wording.....and unnecessary in a statement about concern for Carlee.
as well as adding "some items are factual while others are not"

MOO

I wonder if the family is sticking with the kidnapping story until this is out of major media. Even if her story isn't lining up to them, they may want to quietly resolve it with the PD rather than having media involved. I think the local PD's statements are trying to be gentle, but if there was a real danger to the public they would have said something already.

IF this was a mental health break, I sincerely hope Carlee gets the help she needs to get better. IF this was an abduction, I hope they find the perp.

I firmly believe that part of the MH crisis is stigma. I read the words of a missing man whose father vehemently denies that his son was in a MH crisis at the time he went missing. He could just state he wants to find his son without making it sound like a MH crisis is a horrible concept. It really is a horrible thing to have happen to anyone, but it shouldn't be treated as taboo.

It shouldn't be treated as taboo, but IMO, it also shouldn't be used an excuse or explanation for every single behavior we don't understand. It feels very much like it is these days. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonya702