Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full text of LE's update:
Carlee Russell Investigation Continues

The investigation into the Carlee Russell case continues as detectives are working to determine what happened from the time prior to her 911 call Thursday night until she returned home on foot Saturday night. Detectives spoke to Carlee very briefly upon her return home and are waiting for her to be made availableto obtain a more detailed statement about the sequence of events during that timeframe. While we are not in a position to reveal all of the information we have gathered at this point, we can talk about some details that we have not previously discussed.

- After leaving The Colonnade, Carlee went to Target on Highway 280 and purchased some snack food type items. These items were not located in the vehicle or with her cell phone and wig at the scene of her disappearance.

- The Hoover Police Department has not located any evidence of a toddler walking down the interstate, nor did we receive any additional calls about a toddler walking down the interstate, despite numerous vehicles passing through that area as depicted by the traffic camera surveillance video.

- Detectives have obtained surveillance video from Carlee's neighborhood which shows her walking down the sidewalk alone prior to her arrival at her residence. Fire department radio traffic obtained by several media outlets shows that medics were dispatched to her residence on an "unresponsive but breathing" person. That was the term used in the initial dispatch of the Hoover Fire Department to the residence, and the information about her condition was simply a dispatcher relaying information from what a 911 caller told the emergency communicator. When first responders arrived on scene, they found Ms. Russell conscious and speaking and she was transported in that condition. She was later treated and released from a local hospital.

- Numerous evidentiary items are still being evaluated, and those items are key in the process of determining exactly what took place in the approximately 49 hours Carlee was missing, but also what took place prior to her disappearance.
I wish they mentioned something about the food she picked up b/c i don’t think i’ve seen anything about it (Whether it was there or not.) If someone/she took the snacks they/she would’ve taken the food too right?

Every statement that gets released from both her family and LE makes my head tilt further and further.

I thought this was normal protocol for a missing person? In a suspected kidnapping case they are going to check and see if the alleged victim was being stalked, followed, etc. prior to an abduction. MOO
I’m sure it is standard, but based on statements made by LE soon after Carlee’s return, they had no evidence that she was followed, and no evidence that she was with anyone at the time of her disappearance. It just feels like an about-face. I really don’t know why I keep questioning all of this - I can’t make sense of any of it!

I don't think it says anything. They were getting all sorts of questions about their two statements so maybe they decided to remove them so they weren't a distraction to the case. Perhaps the investigating PD asked them to even, for some reason.
Perhaps, you're entitled to your own opinon :)

Trying to get caught up on the last 10 pages here this evening! <modsnip>

Also, did I hear the audio correctly of officer on scene calling in to dispatch that he was there with car running and all of her belongings there EXCEPT her phone? (Thought it was mentioned before the audio was released that her phone, wallet, smart watch and AirPods were IN the car).
Yes, you heard that correctly. I listened to it several times. I think the mass quote in all the new articles states "near" her car. Now, was the phone really found at mile marker 1. That is the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full text of LE's update:
Carlee Russell Investigation Continues

The investigation into the Carlee Russell case continues as detectives are working to determine what happened from the time prior to her 911 call Thursday night until she returned home on foot Saturday night. Detectives spoke to Carlee very briefly upon her return home and are waiting for her to be made availableto obtain a more detailed statement about the sequence of events during that timeframe. While we are not in a position to reveal all of the information we have gathered at this point, we can talk about some details that we have not previously discussed.

- After leaving The Colonnade, Carlee went to Target on Highway 280 and purchased some snack food type items. These items were not located in the vehicle or with her cell phone and wig at the scene of her disappearance.

- The Hoover Police Department has not located any evidence of a toddler walking down the interstate, nor did we receive any additional calls about a toddler walking down the interstate, despite numerous vehicles passing through that area as depicted by the traffic camera surveillance video.

- Detectives have obtained surveillance video from Carlee's neighborhood which shows her walking down the sidewalk alone prior to her arrival at her residence. Fire department radio traffic obtained by several media outlets shows that medics were dispatched to her residence on an "unresponsive but breathing" person. That was the term used in the initial dispatch of the Hoover Fire Department to the residence, and the information about her condition was simply a dispatcher relaying information from what a 911 caller told the emergency communicator. When first responders arrived on scene, they found Ms. Russell conscious and speaking and she was transported in that condition. She was later treated and released from a local hospital.

- Numerous evidentiary items are still being evaluated, and those items are key in the process of determining exactly what took place in the approximately 49 hours Carlee was missing, but also what took place prior to her disappearance.
Wish it said what type of snack foods. I could easily polish off a chocolate bar just on the wall back to my car. Without further info, that statement doesn't help determine anything

It’s an aside to this thread, but adult citizens are simply not abducted off the streets of the US and subjected to “human trafficking” in any significant numbers. I in fact, can’t think of a case anywhere in the world where that’s happened.

Of course, adult citizens are occasionally kidnapped and come to harm, but that’s not the same thing.

“Trafficking” by its nature relies on the individuals subjected to it largely flying under the radar of government authorities and simply couldn’t operate to the levels it does picking up random grown individuals with plenty of connections and people looking for them and inviting police attention. It is not going to be the answer when a random adult disappears in 99.99999% of cases.

If this went down like Carlee said it went down, why are they investigating what led up to her disappearance?
One reason could be to make sure she was alone in the vehicle and not being forced to do or say things. Not saying that happened. But it is a reason to check everything leading up to the disappearance.

I love her parents. Those two are loyal. I think there are complex cultural forces at play here, and complex notions of what is truth and what is shame, and I think that Carlee needs all the goodwill and positive reinforcement she can get. I am going to guess, and this is entirely a guess and MOO, that UAB BS to RN had not been going that well. I hope someone now steps in and helps chart a new path to an outcome she feels is satisfying, dignified and suited to her desires.

"..police say after leaving the Colonnade Thursday, she went to Target on Highway 280..."

is the Colonnade the place where she bought the two take out meals?
Is the Target in the same direction to the Interstate, or out of the way?
I assume they have surveillance video of Carlee buying the snacks.
What about the parking lot? Anything unusual?

Go to video interview with parents at bottom of page at link -

Mom says Carlee told her the restaurant screwed up the order - they left one of the meals off. She told her Mom she would give her the meal. Maybe that's why she stopped at Target for snacks?

Go to video interview with parents at bottom of page at link -

Mom says Carlee told her the restaurant screwed up the order - they left one of the meals off. She told her Mom she would give her the meal. Maybe that's why she stopped at Target for snacks?

My guess is she told her mom that because she took one of the meals on her abduction.

I love her parents. Those two are loyal. I think there are complex cultural forces at play here, and complex notions of what is truth and what is shame, and I think that Carlee needs all the goodwill and positive reinforcement she can get. I am going to guess, and this is entirely a guess and MOO, that UAB BS to RN had not been going that well. I hope someone now steps in and helps chart a new path to an outcome she feels is satisfying, dignified and suited to her desires.
I love her parents, too. But MOO it may not be related to school at all. <modsnip>. Has the school released a statement at all? Has she even begun classes within the nursing program yet? She may have just been admitted to start in the fall, not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure it is standard, but based on statements made by LE soon after Carlee’s return, they had no evidence that she was followed, and no evidence that she was with anyone at the time of her disappearance. It just feels like an about-face. I really don’t know why I keep questioning all of this - I can’t make sense of any of it!
It's possible they hadn't yet investigated Carlee's activities or whereabouts BEFORE the interstate scene.
At the Target, did she speak with anyone besides personnel, was she with anyone, did she buy other things besides the snacks, did she use her phone..etc. Who knows, there COULD be a clue to something leading up to the disappearance.

I thought this was normal protocol for a missing person? In a suspected kidnapping case they are going to check and see if the alleged victim was being stalked, followed, etc. prior to an abduction. MOO

Or if the investigation is pointing away from an abduction, it would be due diligence to determine if she‘d interacted with an accomplice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy