Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
dbm - can’t get twitter link from journalist to work. Hope someone else posts it.

Has anyone heard the 911 call recording? Weird that dispatch wouldn't keep her on the phone with them until the officers arrived, which I read somewhere was very quickly, purportedly within 3 mins. Also I saw on her FB she posting awhile back she was graduating a few days, but then I never saw any posts about her actual graduation. Perhaps it wasn't a public post and that's why, or maybe she didn't graduate and had a mental breakdown of sorts. Seems like if she was close to finishing nursing school she wouldn't have been working at spa at this point. Does anyone know if she still lived at home with her parents, or had a significant other?
She posted pictures of her undergraduate degree and she applied to nursing schools.

I would assume the same, but driving how fast on that highway with no lights along the roadway. That’s a pretty complete description
Maybe she called 911 after circling back, not before. Pulling over, she sees that she really did see a child and gets better eyes on him. She calls 911 and gives the accurate description. I'm not sure what really happened, but this is how my mind is working on any possible way this could have happened this way.

Also for all the people saying

"She asked someone "are you okay?", therefore she couldn't possibly be having a mental health episode! That's proof someone was there!"

NO.

If someone is seeing things that aren't there, it's perfectly within reason that said person would also attempt to communicate with something that wasn't there. Her speaking is not evidence of anything, at all. It's actually unbelievable to me that people on this forum of all places can't understand this.
I think the scenario you describe is very possible for someone, I just don't think it's the case with this young woman.

Last edited:
The year definitely matters. I am currently looking at a 2016
Do we know what year her Mercedes is? I keep seeing comments about how she couldn’t afford it and ran away due to financial pressure and failing school despite any indication of that from LE or family.

I think people need to consider her Mercedes maybe 15-20 years old and been cheap or a gift. Not everyone who drives a nice car buys brand new or buys out of their budget.

GLA for my daughter and it’s only $16k.

Haha… don’t know why that posted right in the middle.

Do we know what year her Mercedes is? I keep seeing comments about how she couldn’t afford it and ran away due to financial pressure and failing school despite any indication of that from LE or family.

I think people need to consider her Mercedes maybe 15-20 years old and been cheap or a gift. Not everyone who drives a nice car buys brand new or buys out of their budget.
It’s a 2021 CLA 250 AMG coupe

It is a 2021, see details at link - Login • Instagram
carleenichole__

BLESSED got in a car accident in April, now I'm riding in my brand new 2021 CLA 250 AMG coupe​

I still think someone was already with her in her vehicle. Can’t see any other reason to scream then disappear

Did her passenger door open at any point?

I no longer live in this area but I’m very familiar with it. I think a stranger abduction or hoax are remotely possible but I wanted to put out some possibilities I haven’t seen many people mention. Everything is MOO and I’m just suggesting possibilities, not arguing that any of these are definitely what happened.

[Snipped]

2. Animal attack. Maybe she screamed when she realized what she thought was a child was an animal? It would be a weird thing to happen there, but black bears and gators are occasionally seen around Birmingham. She was close to a subdivision that is literally built on a swamp that they turned into a “lake” (look for “LakeCrest” on Google maps) and a lot of the other subdivisions have their own manmade lakes, so my guess would be a gator, though a bear cub seems more possible to mistake for a child. Bobcats and coyotes are much more common but I don’t know if they’re big enough to drag off a whole adult human.

[Snipped]
You think Gators are on that specific area?!

Since you say you're from the area, I'm going to assume that you know what you're talking about. But as a lifelong resident of metro Atlanta, respectfully, I have never in my life heard of gators anywhere north of Macon. (Okay I think there may have been one that was an escaped pet.) <modsnip>
Makes sense, but would she asked if it was okay?
My vision at a distance isn't great, and I once addressed the base of a lamppost that I thought was a stray cat. I said "hi kitty kitty, what are you doing?" before I realized I was talking to an inanimate object. I am a (mostly) sane individual who has kind of iffy eyesight at dusk.

Last edited by a moderator:
The family should be told that unfortunately in these situations people will call claiming to have your missing loved one. They might send a grainy picture, or let you hear a muffled voice. Then the request for money comes. I’ve heard of families taking out a second mortgage on their house to pay. These are fraudulent extortion calls mainly originating from overseas. imo

You’re exactly right. It’s an older model. People always assume a Mercedes is an expensive car.

Gators don't live in the Gulf. They live in lakes and ponds.
I mean, anyone could have shown up to the RRI and said they were this young woman's family and that she had called. Likewise, anyone could pretend to be management at the RRI and called police to say the family was there.

People can be very cruel.
Why would someone do that? What would someone have to gain from doing this? Genuinely curious as it sounds a bit crazy. Does crazy follow this family? I get that everyone has
Since you say you're from the area, I'm going to assume that you know what you're talking about. But as a lifelong resident of metro Atlanta, respectfully, I have never in my life heard of gators anywhere north of Macon. (Okay I think there may have been one that was an escaped pet.) This is about in the same realm of possibility as alien abduction in my book.

My vision at a distance isn't great, and I once addressed the base of a lamppost that I thought was a stray cat. I said "hi kitty kitty, what are you doing?" before I realized I was talking to an inanimate object. I am a (mostly) sane individual who has kind of iffy eyesight at dusk.
I’m also in Metro Atlanta, lived here for 32 years. Never once heard of gators up this far. Now I’m scared lol great, one more thing to worry about.

Since you say you're from the area, I'm going to assume that you know what you're talking about. But as a lifelong resident of metro Atlanta, respectfully, I have never in my life heard of gators anywhere north of Macon. (Okay I think there may have been one that was an escaped pet.) This is about in the same realm of possibility as alien abduction in my book.

There was a gator in the BT Brown Reservoir
In 2022. There are absolutely alligators in the Black Warrior River, Lake Tuscaloosa, and other bodies of water nearby.

But there ain’t one in that ditch on 459.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18