AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly: She could have gone away for a few days and seen if anyone missed her. Maybe they would have reported her as a missing person, but officially in cases involving adults that isn’t done until 48 hours have passed.

What she did with the toddler, the 911 call, the family call, the scream, was a colossal premeditated criminal act.
An adult can be reported at any time. It's a myth that it must be 48 hours. Sure some LE will claim that, but in reality one can be filed at anytime-there is no actual waiting period.

Sherri Papini. How Many Restitution $ Has She Paid?

My question: The title says it all.
Anyone? TiA.

Gen. background re case.
Agree re title.

I hope there’s no plea deal because of of the time, expertise, and funds needed to search and investigate the missing person. In my eyes, an apology via the attorney doesn't truly express Carlee’s deep and sincere regrets. This expended energy could have been used toward the search for the lost and missing. My heart hurts for the missing who rarely get this attention from LE and search teams.
I hope the same, but IMO, I still believe a plea deal is coming.

You are so right the time, expertise and funds needed to search for her need be addressed.

In the end there will likely be a compromise between what CR deserves and the consequences she actually will face.

Personally, I would like to see her face at least some financial consequence for the costs incurred in her search, but more importantly I hope there is extensive community service that will educate her as to the pain she has inflicted on others with her charade. Her friends and family, but more importantly to the people who actually have had their loved ones go missing and were not found.

You said it so well, that all of our hearts ache for those that go missing.

JMO

Last edited:
To be fair, the Sherri Papini case is a bit different.... I do believe Carlee should be charged with filing a false police report and misusing 9-1-1, as well as be forced to pay back the money that was spent looking for her.
snipped for focus @cujenn81
Agreeing, verrry different in many ways. Hardly comparable actions.

But I am curious about how much, if any $, Sherri Papini has paid in restitution.

IIUC, gen'ly speaking, very little ct-ordered restitution in criminal cases is paid in a timely manner, if at all. ICBW.

;);)@Ontario Mom said: I wouldn't trust her to feed my cats.

@neesaki You stole my line of thought. ;-) wink
I wouldn't trust her in my house period...I buy top quality TP and have several very luxurious bath robes...among other treasures I would hate to see stolen by a spoiled brat. ;)

Come to think though my son dated one then married her for a few short years and she always seem to think it her right as a princess to take other people's personal things.

Should Carlee go to jail for just a roll of TP ?
Except it wasn't only that, it was a bathrobe from her workplace; which btw looked like an upscale business catering to the upper middle classes and above.
Maybe the spa carried pricey merch ?

Soooo, has she repaid the cost of the items ?
What if she took more than the robe and sanitary products (TP) ?
Anything else there at her workplace that was small in size, but carried much value ?
Was money from the spa missing ?

If I recall rightly, she did "research" on 'how to remove money from a till without being caught'.

Surveillance cameras indicated that, prior to leaving her work in Birmingham, Russell concealed items before she left, including a dark-colored bathrobe, a roll of toilet paper, and
"other items belonging to the business,"

Red emphasis mine.
[Snipped]
Quoting my snipped post to add :
We do not know everything that was stolen from her workplace, some items may have had value ?

This was a bit more than petty theft and shouldn't be trivialized or minimalized, imo.
If, for instance, someone besides her employer had been the victims of a theft, it's doubtful they would take it lightly.
Also ; if anyone else had concocted this, they'd be dealt with according to the law ... and it's only fair that Carlee receive the same.
The most regrettable element of this hoax is that CR is somewhat young yet; and the fabrications and theft could impact her future employment.
Perhaps coming completely clean, especially to LE; and accepting the decision of the court would go a long way in restoring her reputation ?
The longer this drags out the more damage is being done, imo -- idk, though.
Omo.

Former FBI Special Agent Jonathan Gilliam told FND that Russell may be on the hook for portions of the cost of the investigation, which he says likely surpasses $100,000.

“You know, you’re looking at dozens of man hours plus the fact that somebody could get wrongly convicted or killed or, you know, so the cost and the safety of it adds up very quickly.”

He said that the amount of money Russell will be forced to pay back depends on her income level.

“If she works at some kind of a massage therapy place, you know, she’s not making enough money to pay all that stuff back. So she may get a fine, but it won’t be enough to pay back the man hours that were used,” Gilliam said.

Jefferson County Chief Assistant District Attorney Lane Tolbert told FND on Thursday that police are seeking to charge Russell with false reporting to law enforcement authorities and falsely reporting an incident, both of which are misdemeanors and carry a maximum punishment of one year in jail.

When asked when charges would be filed, Tolbert said “we are just advisors.”

Former FBI Special Agent Jonathan Gilliam told FND that Russell may be on the hook for portions of the cost of the investigation, which he says likely surpasses $100,000.

“You know, you’re looking at dozens of man hours plus the fact that somebody could get wrongly convicted or killed or, you know, so the cost and the safety of it adds up very quickly.”

He said that the amount of money Russell will be forced to pay back depends on her income level.

“If she works at some kind of a massage therapy place, you know, she’s not making enough money to pay all that stuff back. So she may get a fine, but it won’t be enough to pay back the man hours that were used,” Gilliam said.

Jefferson County Chief Assistant District Attorney Lane Tolbert told FND on Thursday that police are seeking to charge Russell with false reporting to law enforcement authorities and falsely reporting an incident, both of which are misdemeanors and carry a maximum punishment of one year in jail.

When asked when charges would be filed, Tolbert said “we are just advisors.”

So they won’t be garnishing her paychecks for the rest of her life, I’m assuming. And they won’t be basing the fine off her parents income level, which is understood since she’s an adult. But we all know who’ll be paying that fine.

Chief Assistant District Attorney Lane Tolbert told ABC News on Thursday that police are seeking two charges against Russell — falsely reporting an incident and false reporting to law enforcement authorities — which are each class A misdemeanors in Alabama and punishable by up to one year in prison, he said.

“We advise what we think the charges should be,” Tolbert said, adding that if charges are filed they would be filed by the Circuit Clerk of Jefferson County, Bessemer Division’s office.

So there was no arrest, no updates, no nothing today?
The press keep talking about “looming charges”, but clearly something is holding them back. We can only speculate that it is either:
A. A plea deal being negotiated
OR
B. Additional investigation into other possible charges or parties.(The Chief had said that nothing was off the table regarding these when asked by media)
It has to be one or the other, IMO.

We do not know everything that was stolen from her workplace, some items may have had value ?

This was a bit more than petty theft and shouldn't be trivialized or minimalized, imo.
If, for instance, someone besides her employer had been the victims of a theft, it's doubtful they would take it lightly.
Also ; if anyone else had concocted this, they'd be dealt with according to the law ... and it's only fair that Carlee receive the same.
The most regrettable element of this hoax is that CR is somewhat young yet; and the fabrications and theft could impact her future employment.
Perhaps coming completely clean, especially to LE; and accepting the decision of the court would go a long way in restoring her reputation ?

Omo.
I think her actions have completely blown any chance of her being offered meaningful employment. She'd have to change her name, and erase any trace of her previous existence.

I think her actions have completely blown any chance of her being offered meaningful employment. She'd have to change her name, and erase any trace of her previous existence.
IMO, she is now so well known (or notorious) that she could probably write a book about her experiences and make some money that way.

IMO, she is now so well known (or notorious) that she could probably write a book about her experiences and make some money that way.
If she is charged and is either convicted or pleads guilty, they can make it part of her sentence that any proceeds she would make off of her crime have to go towards restitution. I'm not sure what Alabama law is but I do know that has been used in other cases to keep others from profiting from their crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead