Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoover police are continuing the investigation into the disappearance of "Carlee" Nichole Russell after she was found alive and safe Saturday night.

Police said they received a call that Russell returned home to her residence by foot at 10:44 p.m. Saturday night.

Police responded to the scene to investigate and Hoover fire medics responded to the scene to assess and transported Russell to UAB hospital for evaluation.

Talitha Russell, Carlee Russell's mother, posted on Facebook Sunday morning that "God is faithful and He has answered (their) prayers."

The family is asking for privacy at this time and plans to speak in the "near future," according to their post.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> i think people can definitely say there is nobody else definitively visible in that video - as I said above, it's not even certain that is Carlee. it's possible others were there we could not see. it's possible that some some pixelation we saw was evidence of others... it's also possible there were 5 alligators we could not see, too. i think most are going with what looks most likely, however... leaving their minds open to changing as we find out more.

police are probably in the process of, or already have, a good amount of evidence... cameras are everywhere, think the neighborhood beyond the trees and relevant elsewheres... also, people are often being electronically tracked in ways which they don't even realize.

give it a bit of time and i think we'll know what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think people can definitely say there is nobody definitively visible. it's possible someone was there we could not see. it's possible that some some pixelation we saw was evidence of someone... it's also possible there were 5 alligators we could not see, too.s

police are probably in the process of, or already have, a good amount of evidence... cameras are everywhere, think the neighborhood beyond the trees and relevant elsewheres... also, people are often being electronically tracked in ways which they don't even realize.

give it a bit of time and i think we'll know what happened.
Yes, I agree that people could say that but that's NOT what they are saying. They are saying with certainty that there was nothing there and there's no way to know that at this time.

Carlethia “Carlee” Nichole Russell, 25, knocked on the door of her parents home on Saturday evening

On Instagram, her boyfriend Thomar Latrell Simmons said his girlfriend was "literally fighting for her life" and said she had been kidnapped.
So, if true, that she fought for her life...It begs the question: Did she escape? Who dropped her off at home? Did she hitchhike? Surely, it wasn't the kidnappers who dropped her off at her house.

If she were truly abducted, I can see that she would be traumatized and needing treatment at a hospital for injuries. That being said, it is imperative that she speak to police right away and give details and descriptions sooner rather than later.

It makes no sense, otherwise. She is a grown adult, college educated and taking nursing classes. She has to know how important it is to herself and others that she talk to police in order to catch her abductors. They are a danger to the public at large.

JMO.

I don't know if WS was around during the Elizabeth Smart case, but it was a similar tale on social media, especially when she was found alive. I think that until more facts are known, no one can speculate with any degree of confidence about what happened here.

MOO.
I think she was taken and harmed in some way and she used her undergraduate study of psychology to get out of a potentially bad situation. I will believe someone took her until proven otherwise. People are so cynical now. I remember the Smart case, everyone thought her dad was the culprit or she ran away. So sad.

So, if true, that she fought for her life...It begs the question: Did she escape? Who dropped her off at home? Did she hitchhike? Surely, it wasn't the kidnappers who dropped her off at her house.

If she were truly abducted, I can see that she would be traumatized and needing treatment at a hospital for injuries. That being said, it is imperative that she speak to police right away and give details and descriptions sooner rather than later.

It makes no sense, otherwise. She is a grown adult, college educated and taking nursing classes. She has to know how important it is to herself and others that she talk to police in order to catch her abductors. They are a danger to the public at large.

JMO.

JMO.
We already know the police spoke to her right away at the hospital and the home per WBRC report a few moments ago.

I think we'll get a tighter timeline that will clear things up a bit. The only thing I think is certain in that video is that someone gets out of the driver's side and walks around to the passenger's side, then disappears... most likely into the woods.

Perhaps there was a "child" part of the incident and it happened a bit further up the road, with someone other than Carlee moving the car down the highway some, before running off through the trees.

I'm sure the police know a lot more than we do.
I wonder if MM11 is actually farther north, toward the flyover. We've been thinking it was south of MM10. If so, it certainly could be someone else parking the car. Since there is no timestamp on the video I don't think the time line of the phone calls will help us, but it seems like people were already saying there were issues with the timelines. Maybe another traffic camera would show something.

Yes, I agree that people could say that but that's NOT what they are saying. They are saying with certainty that there was nothing there and there's no way to know that at this time.
millions of people are watching the case and there are lots of different evaluations, conclusions, and theories based on what we know. not sure what more you can say.

JMO.

JMO.
Unfortunately the effects of traumatic events don't have a set timeline. The police will get a detailed account when they deem her ready.

I don't understand how anyone can watch a video and then not believe what they saw.

We can clearly see there was no gray car. As has been confirmed by LE. We can clearly see that nobody is walking along the side of the road. Yes, somebody could, of course, be in the bushes. But how did Carlee see them from so far up the road? It is impossible.

I don't understand how anyone can watch a video and then not believe what they saw.

We can clearly see there was no gray car. As has been confirmed by LE. We can clearly see that nobody is walking along the side of the road. Yes, somebody could, of course, be in the bushes. But how did Carlee see them from so far up the road? It is impossible.

We do not clearly see anything in that video. It's not clear.. it's grainy/blurry. Does it look like there's someone on the side of the road from what I can see? No. Does that mean that's certain? Also no.

there's a right and wrong way to appropriately discuss mental health and some of the discussion has been filled with inaccuracies on psychosis, mental breaks, etc. we have never gotten the word or vibe from her parents or friends or other family OR the police that it could be a mental health situation. speculating on someone's mental health to this extent feels icky to me, especially given the fact her closest people have now alluded to her fighting for her life while missing. these are my thoughts and feelings as a person who struggles with diagnosed CPTSD, OCD, severe panic disorder, etc. so i am very familiar with the topics.

as a member of a public forum that discusses highly sensitive topics, it's a good idea to consider your words, the implications of said words, and possible effects of them, carefully. :) hope this is ok to state.

praying carlee is recovering quickly, safely, comfortably with those who love her.
MOO

Last edited:
The press release reads the following:

The Hoover Police Department is releasing additional information on the safe return of Carlee Russell. Since the time of the 911 call at 9:34 PM on July 13, 2023 the Hoover Police Department has expended every available resource into locating Carlee, and we celebrate with the Russell family on her safe return at approximately 10:44 PM on July 15th. The following information are facts we have been able to determine at this point in the investigation. We are still gathering and evaluating evidence in this case.
Carlee left work from a business at The Summit in Birmingham at approximately 8:20 PM. She ordered food from a nearby business at The Colonnade and traveled there. We have worked to retrace all of her actions from the time she left The Colonnade until she called 911 and are well on our way to completing that task. At this point in the investigation, we have not been able to locate anyone with Carlee from the time she left The Colonnade until the 911 call was made.

Carlee communicated on her cell phone with individuals known to her while on her path of travel up to the point of calling 911 at 9:34 PM. The conversation with the 911 operator ended and Carlee called a relative. She went missing during that conversation sometime after 9:36 PM after telling both the 911 operator and the relative she had seen a male toddler in a diaper on the side of I-459 and was stopping to check on him. Traffic camera footage was obtained which depicted this portion of the incident, and that footage is still being analyzed as part of the investigation in conjunction with the 911 call to accurately determine the timeframe. Carlee’s 911 call remains the only timely report of a child on the interstate.

Hoover Police officers arrived on scene within five minutes of being dispatched, and several other officers arrived shortly behind. They located Carlee’s wig, cell phone and purse on the roadway near her vehicle, and Carlee’s Apple Watch was in her purse. Investigators with the Crimes Against Persons Unit were notified and the investigation immediately began in earnest with numerous leads being followed. Many local, state, and federal agencies immediately offered assistance and provided personnel and other resources to the investigation. No stone was left unturned and the investigation continued throughout the weekend.

At 10:44 PM on July 15th, the Hoover 911 center received a call from Carlee’s residence that she had returned home on foot. Hoover Police and Fire responded to the residence where Carlee was located. She was immediately transported by the Hoover Fire Department to UAB Hospital to be evaluated and was treated and released. Detectives responded to the residence and to UAB to take an initial statement from Carlee. The details of that statement are a part of the ongoing investigation which is expected to continue over the next few days. During the initial portion of the investigation detectives were able to retrace nearly all of Carlee’s steps until the point she went missing and are confident that will continue to be the case.

The Hoover Police Department continues to be extremely grateful for the outpouring of support from the Hoover community and beyond, and all of the assistance provided by our law enforcement partners which are too numerous to name. We rejoice with the Russell family as they continue to rest and recover from this situation and ask for their wishes to be respected regarding their privacy. This release contains all the information the Hoover Police Department is able to release at this time. As we continue to investigate we will release information that is determined to be factual and pertinent to the public. When a press conference is scheduled we will provide advance notice of the date, time and location.

I don't believe there was ever a toddler being dangled as bait on the side of a busy highway.
Even typing it out sounds like complete foolishness.

jmo
to me it has the smell of "urban legend" and did from the start... remember the old "don't flash your headlights at someone driving without their lights, because it could be a gang initiation and they'll kill you," story?

in 40 years of my life, i'm unaware of that ever actually happening.

Missing Alabama woman 'Carlee Russell' returned home on foot, police say​

Briana GregoryHOOVER, Ala. —
Hoover police are continuing the investigation into the disappearance of "Carlee" Nichole Russell after she was found alive and safe Saturday night.

The child reported in the 911 call made Thursday night by Russell was reported as a male toddler wearing a diaper, according to police. It was the only report about a toddler made to Hoover 911 Thursday.

At 10:44 p.m. Saturday, police said they received a call that Russell had returned home on foot.

Police responded to the scene to investigate and Hoover fire medics responded to the scene to assess and transported Russell to UAB hospital for evaluation.

Talitha Russell, Carlee Russell's mother, posted on Facebook Sunday morning that "God is faithful and He has answered (their) prayers."

The family is asking for privacy at this time and plans to speak in the "near future," according to their post.

[…]

So where is this toddler and the abductors? Can we get a general description?

Like....this is a serious violent crime being alleged here. I think LE would want FRESH info from her about the perps first thing, and then they would issue some sort of BOLO for the public, no?

Shouldn't we be getting some information about these kidnappers by now? This isn't like someone shoplifted, this is someone who supposedly snatched a woman off the interstate and held her for a few days. Major, major danger to the public if true. Potentially a child involved.
Just thinking out loud. What if some guy was on drugs, his baby in the car and he got out and was wondering around or wanted to relieve himself (gray car). What if his baby got out of his car and began walking and Carlee saw her/him and she was concerned only that she saw a three year old wandering alone and when she stopped, he grabbed her and his baby, put them in the car, later woke up to what he had done and dropped Carlee off in the cover of darkness and threatened her not to speak? I’m sure she will speak up anyway. She sounds like a smart girl. Can’t we all just wait for the truth?

That is a very busy highway. How on earth did nobody else spot a child on the side of the road?? Plus, I feel certain that police have reviewed every available video. I also hope that they have gone door to door in the neighborhood to get Ring camera footage to try to find out who dropped her off since she is too upset to speak with them. The police have a duty to the public to keep them safe and to get to the bottom of what happened.

JMO.
I agree with you. The public needs to know if they are safe. If Carlee has been hurt, mentally or physically, she may not be able to give specific information until she is of sound mind. If she was kidnapped, she could have easily been drugged. If she has been drugged, she may not be able to provide reliable information for 24-48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321